New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Need Metal Show Reviewers by bornoffire on Jan 18,2011 8:31pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by bornoffire  at Jan 18,2011 8:31pm
A friend of mine at one of the bigger Boston area papers is looking for people to do reviews of metal shows and maybe some record reviews. They are looking for serious writers who have their own style/voice. You don't have to have a ton of previous experience (although having some credentials would be helpful) but "The ability to understand the material and be a good judge of it is more important than being a great writer (which I can create)."

If you are interested or know someone who may be hit me up at bornoffireallston@gmail with your info and some samples that I can forward along.

This is a good opportunity for metal to get some coverage in town so do it up.

toggletoggle post by bobnomaamrooney at Jan 18,2011 8:34pm
Review NSBM in the Weekly Dig, you won't

toggletoggle post by bobnomaamrooney at Jan 18,2011 8:35pm
But srsly I've got some metal clips I'll send along as I'd like to start writing again.

toggletoggle post by immortal13 at Jan 18,2011 9:18pm
Is it paid or not? And would there be a problem with me writing for other sites/magazines/newspapers as well. I need these answered before I send the email.

toggletoggle post by bornoffire  at Jan 18,2011 10:00pm
There would be pay, yes...what and how much you guys would have to work it out.
I think it depends on what publications specifically. Magazines shouldn't be a problem but maybe some of the competing local stuff maybe? It's a freelance thing, for sure.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jan 18,2011 10:26pm
Dental insurance and limousine transpo or GTFO

toggletoggle post by bornoffire  at Jan 18,2011 10:33pm
Ha

toggletoggle post by nekronaut  at Jan 18,2011 10:48pm
Will be in contact.. Extremely interested, have a lot of various shows I've written reviews for only to sit in a notebook on my desk waiting to get beer soaked

toggletoggle post by nekronaut  at Jan 18,2011 10:50pm
..need to write more to get even more beer soaked

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Jan 18,2011 10:56pm
SAINT TO SINNER ‘THE UNVEILING’ (INDEPENDENT)
Strutterzine.angelfire.com

SAINT TO SINNER is a band from Rhode Island, USA, formed in 2008, now already releasing a CD. It’s more or less a mini-CD, consisting of actually 4 full-length tracks. The band has a great female lead singer called DESIREE VILLEGAS, who gives the hard-hitting groovy modern melodic metal of SAINT TO SINNER a very strong own identity. Her voice is without a doubt the highlight of this band, as the music is very typical modern day American orientated a la DISTURBED, but played very well and sounding still quite impressive. Add to that some Progmetal and Power Metal influences and you have a nice combination here, making them probably one of the better sounding independent female fronted bands for sure! Most of the songs go in a similar style, which is very hard-hitting Metal guitar orientated, midtempo and with some Gang vocals here and there (particularly during the Thrashy “Vindictive”). Check them out at: www.sainttosinnermusic.com
(Points: 8.3 out of 10)

Power of Metal Webzine

Saint To Sinner
The Unveiling
Rating

Style: Rock/Metal
Release date: 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Self-released five-track EP "The Unveiling" by Rhode Island's Saint To Sinner blends hooks, harmonies and melodies with crunchy riffs. Their songs are aggressive but mixed with the melodic vocals of Desiree Villegas, which co-exist so well together. All the songs are slow to mid-tempo rockers with simplistic modern riffs that are heavy and clear. The band are accomplished musicians with decent chops, but it is Desiree's voice that is the main attraction on this album.
Opener "Fallen Generation" starts off with a crisp, crunchy riff with Desiree utilizing her range. The song continues with good harmonies and rough background vocals. This is a great song with variation and tempo changes. "Vindictive" displays some good guitar leads and gang vocals. "Careless" begins as a softer melodic testimony, then the chorus kicks in, which brings a little heaviness to it before shoehorning into sort of a spoken-word rap.

Saint to Sinner has a familiar sound, while still retaining their own identity. it's hard to pinpoint where their blend or influences are coming from, but it's a good combination that makes the songs flow nicely. The production quality is pretty good too. They just got a new distribution deal and a remixed release of "The Unveiling" will be distributed by Copro Records/Casket Music in Europe soon.

Overall, for an independent band's first EP, "The Unveiling" is a good start for Saint To Sinner.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tracklist
01. Fallen Generation
02. Careless
03. Anti-Corporate
04. Vindictive
05. Tampere
Label: Copro Records
Distribution: Casket Music
Reviewed by: Kelley Simms
Date: May 30th 2010

Saint To Sinner – The Unveiling (2010)
Infernal Masquerade.com
Posted June 9th, 2010 by Dark EmperorAlbum Reviews Metal Rock 2010 Other

We receive a high volume of releases from bands every month, always claiming that they sound like nobody else, and end up sounding like everybody else. This is not the case when it comes to Saint To Sinner, hailing from Rhode Island, USA the band does a great job at having a very unique sound to them. And here is where their little problem occurs.

The band’s combination of Rock and different genres of Metal sounds a bit chaotic at times, and sometimes the female vocals are going in one direction, and the music is going somewhere else. Desiree Villegas as a very hypnotic and versatile singing style, but in some sections her vocals sound very odd, like the spoken backing section, and the awful ‘rapping’ on the song “Anti-corporate”. Some comparisons to Amy Lee of Evanescence are in order, but her voice sound less over produced and feels more natural.

As far as the music goes, the band creates a very interesting combination of Rock elements, with aggressive Metal riffing. This creates a very thick sound that is both aggressive and melodic, thanks to some Progressive elements and the female vocals. The male vocals can be easily dropped and the band would loose nothing to their sound, they sound particularly bad on the track “Vindictive”, since the singer cannot properly growl/scream. The backing sections sound ok, but don’t really add much to the mix.

Overall, this 5 song release features a very hard to describe an unique sound that if the band polishes more can take them far. Saint To Sinner has 80% of the work done since they have a unique sound, a characteristic singer, and an appeal to different music markets, if they polished their music a bit more they will surely get a spot on a bigger label.

Band: Saint To Sinner Album: The Unveiling
Label: Copro Records Release: 2010

Official Site
Genre: Rock / Metal Country: USA

Rating: 83/100

Metal To Infinity

From Rhode-Island I received a CD from Saint To Sinner, a totally unknown band to me. Seems that this formation is fronted by a lady called Desiree Villegas, on her turn unknown to the Metal community. For some reason I am always harder when it comes to vocals performed by a woman. Especially in Metal it is so god damn hard for a female to make a band stronger. Either you have the angelic kind of vocals, in which only Tarja Turunen, Floor Jansen and Sharon den Adel are top, on the other way the grunt kind of screams – think Arch Enemy or Holy Moses are exclusively. In ‘normal’ female voices it is so god damn hard to sound impressive…

Saint To Sinner can’t really steal my soul because of the vocals. Musical wise Saint To Sinner is pretty original, mixing a harder kind of Rock with grooves, often Thrashy arrangements. The band produces a pretty unique sound and the band contains power. The riffs and sharp played drum parts are empowering the music without any doubts!

Talking again about the vocals Desiree Villegas has without any doubts a good voice yet it is often to monotone to me. In “Vindictive” she’s supported by very strong male vocals and this doesn’t miss its effect. Not that this girl didn’t work hard to sound varied but the strength of her voice isn’t impressive enough and this has nothing to do with sexism. Mostly the arrangements are overpowering her voice and that’s a pity! I don’t want to sound too negative because this girl contains a good timbre but to me it doesn’t fit the music enough. At some points it gives the music another dimension but the ‘wow-effect’ stays away. In the beginning of “Careless” miss Villegas proves what she’s capable of and in these particular acoustic parts it is her voice that makes this song strong! It’s no coincidence because it are especially the soft parts that makes her sound stronger, empowering on her turn the music. For a part she proves my right because of it, especially when I compare both!

Back again I’ve heard several arrangements that pleased me a lot and Saint To Sinner is hard to label. That’s more than a positive point because the band isn’t a clone, is searching its own boundaries and even more important, its own musical path. I really hope these lads will not take my critics too negative because therefore they’re too talented and mostly too original. There are points to work on but the second CD of the band is one you really need to give a chance. Check them out at http://www.sainttosinnermusic.com.

My Points: 76 / 100 (Review by Officer Nice)

FEMME METAL

Saint To Sinner - "The Unveiling" (2010)

Label : Copro Records/Casket Music

Review By Tony Cannella

Saint To Sinner are a young melodic metal band from Rhode Island. Their independently released debut is titled, "The Unveiling". It is an impressive mix of moods and tempos that help to make, "The Unveiling" an enjoyable listen. The album is also dominated by some crunchy guitar riffs, courtesy of Rich Bova."The Unveiling", features 5-songs worth of heavy music with some serious modern sounding, heavy riffs. Desiree Villegas is the lead singer and her style comes across very strong and full of attitude and swagger. "The Unveiling" comes on hard and fast from the opening tune, "Fallen Generation". This is really an excellent way to begin things, the riff is crunchy and Rich Bova adds some male vocals which can be heard on other parts of the CD. "Careless", slows things down a bit and evolves into an atmospheric 6-minute track, the song changes tempo several times and Desiree turns in her best vocal performance on the CD, in my opinion. "Anti-Corporate" and "Vindictive" are just full of anger and energy.The 1-minute outro, "Tampere" brings the CD to a close - this instrumental piece reminds me a bit of Metallica from the "Master of Puppets" era. All-in-all, "The Unveiling" is a pretty intense 21-minutes. Saint To Sinner have a lot going for them, cool songs, great presentation and an undeniable attitude and raw power that comes through loud and clear.

Rating - 85/100

Desiree Villegas - Lead Vocals
Rich Bova - Lead and Rhythm Guitars, Vocals
Dave Vogel - Bass
Nick Tolias - Drums

ARCTIC REVIEWS

Saint To Sinner - The Unveiling EP

Released: 13 Jul 2009

Genre: Rock

Style: Heavy Metal

Arctic Top Track: Anti Corporate

Arctic Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Review by: Rich Pickings - 27th September 2010

The subject of women in metal is so vexatious that even opening it up for debate seems like a risk. Perhaps what's best said is that if it's just misogyny by any other name, then it's robbing us of an opportunity to successfully temper the power and latent aggression which is it's chief source of fascination for most of us.

Rhode Island four piece Saint To Sinner offer some basis for the argument that females aren't there simply for window dressing, lead singer Desiree Villegas putting herself above the parapet in what is a fairly irregular career choice option. It's her vocals in fact which will either make or mutilate the band's chance of catching your ear; lacking death grunts as an option, she instead wisely goes for injecting some melody into the group's idiosyncratic style, which is in itself an amalgam of contemporary metal spiked with grunge/thrash overtones.

The Unveiling is a five song, formerly US-only EP released in 2009 (The band have subsequently signed to Copro records in the UK). On each track Villegas hypnotically weaves two or three layers above the stentorian crunch, turning Careless into a modern ballad, whilst her multi-tracked voice on Anti-Corporate will inevitably draw comparison with Evanescence's Amy Lee. To be critical, it's hard based on what's on offer here to really pass a qualified judgement, but there's some promise, and it's hardly a field packed full of rivals. Worth remembering.

MetalHeart Webzine
SAINT TO SINNER "The Unveiling" CD Reviews/CD Reviews
Author:Béa
Self Prod/Casket Music 2009 Saint To Sinner has released last year this E.P. « the Unveiling ». The style of the group is melodic metal with a modern sound and some power metal influences. The songs are powerful and aggressive and the female vocalist has a strong voice. The musicians are good and control their instruments. Besides the female vocalist Desiree Villegas has a different kind of voice not typical in melodic metal. You’ll also find some male growls. To try if you want to discover a new group. www.myspace.com/sainttosinneronline

Metal Forge

Saint to Sinner are a hard rock band from the U.S. Formed in 2006, the ground delivers metal riffs stacked upon melodic female vocals mixed with male growls. The vibe of their debut, The Unveiling, is that of a mid tempo death metal band. The guitars are heavily distorted with the drums pounding away in the background. Some tracks like "Vindictive" are skull splitters with chugging riffs over the vocals while others are more melody driven, such as "Tampere", that feature haunting guitar notes and mournful solos. It is an instrumental and is sadly missing the sexy female vocalist, but it also seems to hold the most emotional aspect of the entire debut. Tracks like "Anti-Corporate" deliver a message, but after a while the hollow chugs of the guitars and bass start to lose effect, leaving the vocals to do the rest.

Are Saint to Sinner's vocalists the key to the music? Female vocalist Desiree has a crooning, droning voice, but it is very seductive and attractive to listen to. On the other hand, the male vocalist is a bit hard to comprehend. For the most part, he growls, but it sounds very faint and faded. If there was ever a literal meaning to 'backing vocals,' then this is it. Other times he adds a cleaner dual vocal assault with Desiree and it sounds a lot better, because even though it is faded, it contrasts her vocals in harmony, rather than the growls interrupting them. Musically, the rest of the instruments are kind of simple. The guitars tend to stick to a chugging chord format and the drums hammer away like a jackhammer, but there isn't much in the way of virtuoso solos and riffs. As said before, the key to Saint's music is the vocals.

While The Unveiling is eight tracks, only five are fresh. The last three are edits of the others, and probably could have just been left off. For the average person to listen to the difference between the original and the edit there probably would be none. There may be a slight production difference, but no new instruments are added, no new lyrics, no new sections. It would take a person with a degree in music production and study to tell any clear difference between the tracks. If fans loved the originals, then they probably won't mind hearing the same songs again however it feels like a repetitive waste.

So, basically The Unveiling is only five tracks. Based off that, Saint to Sinner have a bit of a sound going, but still need some work. They certainly have musical prowess with their guitar chug formula and Desiree's vocals are certain to become one of the best in the genre since they sound different from so many of the other melodic/gothic female driven bands out there. The growls would be great too, if only they were turned up a bit. Overall, fans of We are the Fallen, Eyes Set to Kill, and Edenbridge will probably be attracted to this the most.

METAL REVOLUTION

Saint To Sinner - The Unveiling

on Thursday 16 September 2010
by bato
comments: 0
author awarded score: 77/100

Copro Records/Triad Recording, 2010

Saints & Sinners is the 1982 album by the British rock band Whitesnake, while Saint To Sinner are a hard rock group from the Rhode Island (United States). Why do I mention Whitesnake then? Because, there’re some obvious parallels between the two, as it is a rare occurrence for me to hear a band that can be described as truly original and old-school hard rock. Nevertheless, this is exactly what this 2006 formed band has accomplished.

Their debut is entitled The Unveiling, containing eight tracks and with an awesome vibe and overall atmosphere. They are delivering some kick-ass metal riffs, combined with sexy and melodic female voice of Desiree and additional male growls. It sounds just awesome! When you at the top of this add heavily distorted guitars, pounding drums and mournful soli, it serves perfectly to satisfy any metal soul out there.

My favourite tracks are “Vindictive” with its chugging riffs and strong vocals, and also a more melodic one called “Tampere” with haunting and almost doomish guitar sounds.

When it comes to the production, I would say that that the sound could have got better, but it is still listenable and one can enjoy most of the instruments.

If you’re into Gothic/Melodic/Hard Rock, or if you happen to be a fan of bands like Edenbridge, Eyes Set to Kill, Evanescence or Guano Apes – then Saint To Sinners is the perfect choice for you.

Mario's Metal Mania

'Who will be the next Saint to Sinner”. Okay, this band has made his point about his musical ambitions. They claim not to sound like anyone else, but hey who doesn't lay that claim nowadays. Saint to Sinner from Rhode Island was formed in 2008 and this debut is indeed a refreshing kind of metal meltdown. Crunchy guitars, pounding drums, nice hooks, harmonies and a very good melodic voice are melted into a delicious aggressive sounding debut album. All the songs are slow to mid tempo yet aggressive and have a heavy and clear sound. They even send me two copies because the latest one has been remastered and is going to be released by Copro records. Well, the versions are quite identique, but the new one is just a tiny bit clearer. The mixing of styles are played very well, but the real “ear”catcher is Desiree Villegas with her melodic vocals which fits perfectly in their music. She sings droning but seductive and she definitely lifts the numbers to a higher level. I'm not going to describe the tracks because they're all from a high level and you will be overwhelmed by all the different styles they use. Don't be afraid, they all listen away pretty easily keeping your attention. “The Unveiling” is a very promising debut and to my opinion this band is able to set a new standard in the future. Promising! 85/100

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Jan 18,2011 11:02pm
My qualifications are thus:

1. My writing style/skills make Chaucer look like a Holladaddy victim.
2. I think everything sucks, and that metal ended the day Necrovore broke up.

I'll take the big office.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Jan 18,2011 11:11pm
you should work for blabbermouth

toggletoggle post by bornoffire  at Jan 18,2011 11:13pm
Send It to my email so i can forward it along.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Jan 19,2011 1:23pm
email sent.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jan 19,2011 1:51pm
No such thing as a reviewer. You can't "re-view" a metal show unless it's been broadcast and analogueally archived. This thread is bullshit[\I].

toggletoggle post by bornoffire  at Jan 19,2011 1:52pm

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:type...click...no thinking required
[default homepage] [print][11:55:30pm Apr 19,2024
load time 0.01796 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]