New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> 5 things I miss about 90's hardcore by the_reverend on Jul 30,2010 4:07pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 30,2010 4:07pm

toggletoggle post by MillenialKingdom  at Jul 30,2010 4:14pm
This guy speaks my language. Great read.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 30,2010 4:16pm
except you don't remember hardcore in the 90's cause you are too young.

toggletoggle post by MikeOv at Jul 30,2010 4:18pm
Factbomb. Rev drops them.

toggletoggle post by C.dead at Jul 30,2010 4:26pm
Haha.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 30,2010 4:35pm
I just miss vfw shows

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jul 30,2010 4:36pm
the_reverend said[orig][quote]

exactly. i just started going to shows in the 90s.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 30,2010 4:41pm
only the rat was real. bring back the rat or gtfo

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 30,2010 4:44pm
aril, you are from texas and never went to the rat or YOU LIE.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 30,2010 4:46pm
I was going to say that I was the only one in this thread that went to the rat, but jay probably did.

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Jul 30,2010 4:47pm
ahem.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Jul 30,2010 4:47pm
i have a flyer from the rat somewhere

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 30,2010 4:47pm edited Jul 30,2010 4:49pm
no I never did but I remember it and know its signifigance... A few of my buddies used to talk about how awesome it was in its heyday.

I barely ever went into Boston for shows as a young un... Used to go to vfw shows and parish hall shows because nothing else was around

toggletoggle post by Kevord  at Jul 30,2010 4:48pm
I went to the Rat many times cause I'm also old.

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jul 30,2010 4:48pm
yeah, damon's older than dwyer.

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Jul 30,2010 4:49pm
I'll shake my cane at you!

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Jul 30,2010 4:49pm
i fail to see how thats possible. dwyer is father time. you cannot be older than that.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 30,2010 4:49pm
the rat is the only place that smell like piss more than the old obriens.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 30,2010 4:51pm
Fact remains... Bring back the fucking RAT

toggletoggle post by MillenialKingdom  at Jul 30,2010 4:52pm
the_reverend said[orig][quote]

That's not what I meant. I meant his writing style and senses of sarcasm and misanthropy are similar to mine.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 30,2010 4:54pm
wait, isn't the rat now a blockbuster? blockbuster is going out of business... just sayin

toggletoggle post by Kevord  at Jul 30,2010 4:54pm
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]
Fact remains... Bring back the fucking RAT

The Rat as a venue was not that great. The shows there were better because it was a better time for music.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 30,2010 5:00pm
kevord is right the rat sucked. If there had ever been a fire there, everyone would have died. Every use the back stairs there? Ever seen "security" pull someone out the back stairs while beating someone? It was like getting pulled through a coffin.

Also, there was always water from the toilets traveling through the show room into a drain in the middle of the floor.
Still, the shows there were awesome.

toggletoggle post by reimroc at Jul 30,2010 5:04pm
Joe Chistianni = JNCO Jeans
JNCO Jeans = 90s Hardcore
Joe Christianni = 90s Hardcore

Cannot be unseen

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Jul 30,2010 5:08pm
cannot be understood, either

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 30,2010 5:10pm
oh and the rat had a pole like right in the middle of the floor that you couldn't even hide behind cause people would circle pit around it.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Jul 30,2010 5:11pm
Ironically the people in legitimately successful bands like Earth Crisis and Bloodlet never gave a fuck and were much more down-to-earth than their entry-level counterparts.

lol @ Earth Crisis not being rock stares

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Jul 30,2010 5:21pm
Blog sounds like it was written by a total jackoff, I was barely able to read any of it.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 30,2010 5:24pm
the rat had all those little idiosyncratic attributes which made it a legend. jealous of the crowd that's 35+ and experienced it in it's heyday.

Only kpanzer is real for playing there

toggletoggle post by Kevord  at Jul 30,2010 5:26pm
Lamp said[orig][quote]
Blog sounds like it was written by a total jackoff, I was barely able to read any of it.

The guy does seem like a jackoff but alot of what he wrote is true for the scene in Mass. during the mid 90's.

toggletoggle post by DaveMaggotCOTDS   at Jul 30,2010 5:43pm edited Jul 30,2010 6:13pm
stuff. . .

toggletoggle post by timma at Jul 30,2010 6:59pm
Holy shit...Dave lives! What's up, chach?

toggletoggle post by mike29 at Jul 30,2010 11:33pm
There was some good hardcore shows at Pearl Street in North Hampton in the mid 90's( Life Of Agony, Madball/Merauder). Is that venue still in existence under another name?

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 30,2010 11:50pm
I thought it was still called pearl st but shows are infrequent.

toggletoggle post by DaveMaggotCOTDS   at Jul 31,2010 2:48am
i'm alive. doing pretty good. how are you sir? i dont have internet at my apartment. but i'm house sitting at my mom's this weekend. so i haz an abundance of intrawebz

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Jul 31,2010 10:25am
hilarious. Although Earth Crisis definitely DID have big ol Laminates on when then played in the living room... and i had way too many pairs of JNCOs AND Nautica shirts... uuggghhhhhhh

toggletoggle post by bobnomaamrooney at Jul 31,2010 10:28am

toggletoggle post by IllinoisEnemaBradness at Jul 31,2010 5:35pm
I played 3 shows at The Rat. Ducky Boys and Dropkick Murphys opened for my band, THE NOTHINGS. We played with Toxis Narcotic,BLanks77

KENMORE SQUARE CIRCA 1995 OR GTFO

toggletoggle post by INSULT at Jul 31,2010 6:30pm
We played the rat a ton of times, great room lots of good shows

toggletoggle post by HTR   at Jul 31,2010 7:55pm
I have a flyer of unearth opening for XFragmentX @ the Espresso Bar hidden away somewhere. I also have a DAT of Cave-In at The Space from 1998 2 weeks before their second album came out. Come to think of it I have a crap-load of old demos on tape including Driven's first demo. Driven was Blood Has Been Shed before they changed their name.

toggletoggle post by IllinoisEnemaBradness at Jul 31,2010 10:19pm
I saw a shitload of shows at the Rat. Too many to name, from 1994 till it closed

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 1,2010 12:31am
IllinoisEnemaBradness said[orig][quote]
I played 3 shows at The Rat. Ducky Boys and Dropkick Murphys opened for my band, THE NOTHINGS. We played with Toxis Narcotic,BLanks77

KENMORE SQUARE CIRCA 1995 OR GTFO

MMMM-HMMMMMMMMM.

Got to play there once with horrible Oi! band, exchanged many many punches in face with charming and coherent patrons.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 1,2010 12:33am
Oh, and the "Sergeant D" who wrote this thing is the same one from Metal Inquisition and Stuff You Will Hate; total douchenozzle, terrible taste in music and in life.

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Aug 1,2010 12:35am
I knew I could count on you.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 1,2010 12:37am
M.O.D. and Toxic Narcotic with like NOBODY FUCKING THERE at the Rat, funnest show. For some reason Bill Toxic had a shop vac and was destroying the shit out of it for the amusement of like 5 patrons.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 1,2010 12:38am
Sometimes I think Bill only does Mouth Sewn Shut because he secretly misses when T.N. was like the most unpopular band in Boston.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 1,2010 12:40am
Also, did I mention "like"?

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Aug 1,2010 8:11am
How about 6L6, w/Sam Black Church and Stompbox... hmmmmmmm

toggletoggle post by IllinoisEnemaBradness at Aug 1,2010 10:11am
DestroyYouAlot said[orig][quote]
Sometimes I think Bill only does Mouth Sewn Shut because he secretly misses when T.N. was like the most unpopular band in Boston.

ha, that's funny. I first saw TN at the Middle East upstairs with Bricklayer and a really young Converge back when they were stereotypical toughcore, before Bannon became a tattoo casualty. There was some mohawked fellow there who kept slamming to Bricklayer and was getting pumelled by the hardcore goons. That was my first club show, I think it was early 1993. Bill was handing out fliers outside for a show they were playing with Candy Striper Death Orgy and, I think, MELIAH RAGE!

The Nothings ended up playing a show in Worcester with TN. One of there butch girl fans beat up one of our young male fans, that was awesome.

toggletoggle post by DYA is BZZZZZZZZZZ at Aug 2,2010 1:11pm
IllinoisEnemaBradness said[orig][quote]
DestroyYouAlot said[orig][quote]

ha, that's funny. I first saw TN at the Middle East upstairs with Bricklayer and a really young Converge back when they were stereotypical toughcore, before Bannon became a tattoo casualty. There was some mohawked fellow there who kept slamming to Bricklayer and was getting pumelled by the hardcore goons. That was my first club show, I think it was early 1993. Bill was handing out fliers outside for a show they were playing with Candy Striper Death Orgy and, I think, MELIAH RAGE!

The Nothings ended up playing a show in Worcester with TN. One of there butch girl fans beat up one of our young male fans, that was awesome.

90% chance that was Amy (Will's wife). Good times, hahaha.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Aug 2,2010 1:56pm
I almost went to 6L6 at the rat, but I thought they were playing with 5 seconds expired or something like that.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:skynet is always watching protecting you
[default homepage] [print][3:16:04pm Mar 28,2024
load time 0.01874 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]