New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Finally Got My HTC Evo: My God it RIPS. by ArrowHead Logged In .... Or NOT! on Jun 25,2010 8:13pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by ArrowHead Logged In .... Or NOT! at Jun 25,2010 8:13pm
Fast, multitasking, and better than I expected. Huge display, 1 gig processor, and the thing is smart as hell.

For the rev, who hates not having a keyboard when he's trying to kill himself and others while texting behind the wheel - don't worry, the speech to text is amazing. One flaw, it censors dirty words when you do text to speech, so some little kid looking up "can't" doesn't get "cunt", etc... so all the fun words come up as ####. Otherwise, it recognizes everything I've thrown at it.

Furthermore, with a couple free apps I can speak text, then have the phone translate it into any language, then read it back. This would be IMMENSELY helpful in foreign places, like T Stations.

In addition, I've got an app that allows you to use GPS to look up at the sky and instantly turn into a personal planetarium, labeling planets, constellations, and stars in real time.

I got google goggles running, fucking AMAZING. Took a picture of the bottle of tobasco on my table, and it instantly recognized it and brought me to a search page for the product, company, and places locally and online to buy it. Took a blurry photo of my open laptop running in the background from about 6 feet away, it got the brand, model, and even knew it was the IBM thinkpad and not the identical LENOVO version.

GPS and nav is awesome, can even layer satellite photos over the nav map in real time, for landmarks and such. Something I've always wanted.

Unlike the iPhone, pandora is fucking FREE and runs seamlessly in the background.

There are full NES, SNES, GBA, etc... emulators available, but the touchscreen controls are a bitch for anything that requires quick movements. However, it's great for shit like Zelda. Also, there are some really cool games that use the internal gyro-gizmos, like the labyrinth game.

Battery life is pretty short (although I am playing with it a lot, too), but I got a spare battery, charger, leather case, car mount, sync cable, wall charger, and car charger for $20 off ebay. Can EASILY make it through a full day of heavy usage with the second battery.

I could keep going and going. I'm most amazed at how all the google apps integrate, being able to photo something, ID it, find the store nearby that sells it cheapest, then get directions via GPS, etc...... I could find a gazillion uses for that shit!

Drawbacks: No qwerty, but onscreen keyboard is pretty great, and swype is coming! Also, voice to text is tit! Also, battery life is awful, but a spare battery is CHEAP. Actually takes the same battery as the Touch Pro 2. Finally, no real flash, so no embedded videos or Hulu or Redtube, etc... However, FROYO is coming soon, and will fix this problem. Meanwhile, I notice Opera and Skyfire are both available in the app store free, which can handle most of this. (but still no hulu, sadly)

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead Logged In .... Or NOT! at Jun 25,2010 8:13pm
Wow, wall of text

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead nli on phone at Jun 25,2010 8:26pm
to give you an idea of how to text to speech works all this
was written with text to speech and even work like shizzle and retard all translate well

toggletoggle post by Pires at Jun 25,2010 8:49pm
Pandora on the iPhone is free. I have it. This still sounds like an awesome phone though

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead nli on phone at Jun 25,2010 8:58pm
I had a coworker who told me it was five bucks for the Pandora app on his iPhone. I still wish i could get hulu to run.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jun 25,2010 9:24pm
I love work like shizzle.

the samsung galaxy s pro should be coming. I want that.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead nli on phone at Jun 25,2010 9:34pm
Work... I've been out sick 2 days with a cold, meant words.

I love being able to do the full forum, no more text.Rttp for me. Still worried about battery life, but I just ordered 2 more batteries and another charger off of ebay. With four batteries, 2 charges, and a car adapter I really think i should be okay.

I'm typing all this out on the touch screen keyboard, and I'm impressed silly on how fast I can go. The auto correct is super intelligent.

toggletoggle post by ArilliusBM  at Jun 25,2010 9:59pm
ArrowHead%20Logged%20In%20....%20Or%20NOT! said[orig][quote]

There are full NES, SNES, GBA, etc... emulators available

THIS IS HERESY

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jun 26,2010 12:14am
in using swype right now on my touch pro 2

toggletoggle post by brodix at Jun 26,2010 12:48am

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jun 27,2010 1:37pm
the thing im the most interested in is how it handles txtmsgs. My tp2 completely craps out if I have more than 1k txts on it. Which is about a month of txting for me. Also, is there any good txtmsg to gmail linker? I want all my txtmsgs to be backed up to gmail. Right now, they are backed up for me to msmyphone.

if the phone battery can't last a whole day, not the phone for me. I use my ipad all the tike and only charge it 2x a week.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jun 29,2010 12:59am
did you get out of the $10 extra a month since you live no where near a 4G network?

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 29,2010 1:12am
car phones circa 1995 are where it's at.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jun 29,2010 1:13am
I draw this line in the sand at all your lying.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 29,2010 1:15am edited Jun 29,2010 1:16am
in all reality, what the fuck phone are you guys talking about? You mean my iPhone is outdated?
SM 10

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 29,2010 9:26am
okay, some updates.

First issue that made me sad: can't find an option to right click and block images, which is what kept me off this thread for the last couple days. Stupid RTTP and it's appeal to those fascinated with gay pictures.

Second: Battery life - I did some reading on the web, learned how to shut certain things on and off as I need them and disabled background syncing. I now get about a full day on a charge, without super heavy use (although I do most of my internet browsing on the phone now.) It's still not great on batteries, but this is easily a 200% increase over the 6-7 hours I was getting before. With a spare battery or two in tow, I would feel perfectly safe going away for a few days without my charger.

The $10 a month is not avoidable. I'm pretty sure it's the opposite, that eventually it will be a requirement on ALL smart phone plans once the entire network has gone 4g. I'm sure charging the $10 in non-4g areas is currently to help offset the cost of expanding that 4g network, while also offsetting the higher bandwith use by smartphones that is currently KILLING At&T.

And Rev, that epic 4g looks awesome!

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jun 29,2010 9:30am
1st: I use text RTTP on my phone because of the pictures

2nd: download Advanced Task Killer, because apps open and close randomly, or don't close at all...its a useful app that let you close whatever apps you want

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jun 29,2010 9:36am
I've been on sprint for over 11 years. I'm going to get the epic 4g and if they try to charge me $10 extra, I will tell them I will switch to verizon since everyone is getting the galaxy. I'm sure what they will do is charge me the $10 and then give me a $10 discount for a year or so.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 29,2010 9:57am
RustyPS said[orig][quote]
1st: I use text RTTP on my phone because of the pictures

2nd: download Advanced Task Killer, because apps open and close randomly, or don't close at all...its a useful app that let you close whatever apps you want

I have advanced app killer, but I've noticed it doesn't really make as big of a difference as shutting off BG sync, and turning off 3g/wifi/etc... when I don't need them.

There's a lot of people now saying that you spend more juice making the phone open/close/reopen apps with task killer than just leaving Android OS to do it for you. I'm not saying this is MY stance, as I still use it, but it did convince me to drop my Task Killer setting down from 'aggressive'.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jun 29,2010 10:19am
yea, keeping it on aggressive would defeat the purpose because the processor would spend all its time killing apps...but I do swear by it, because since I started using it, I've noticed it rarely runs hot and the battery life has been much better

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 29,2010 10:25am
I wouldn't even consider calling these phones anymore. Whomever coined "Smart Phone" should be shot. They already had a name for devices such as these, and it was called the PDA. Personal digital assistant. The phone aspect is one miniscule aspect of these devices now. I use this for way more than talking on the phone.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jun 29,2010 10:33am
ITT: aril sits on his front porch in a rocking chair holding a shotgun to kill new technology

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 29,2010 10:35am
Terminator 5: The Shotgun Diaries

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 29,2010 10:44am
In all seriousness and somewhat on a related note: 10 years from now I'll be bumping this thread for laughs. This technology is leading the way for advanced digital assistants- robots. We should all have small robots doing small things for us in 10 years. Anyone that can't see this is a fool.
We truly live in an evolving digital world. 2 years from now someone will have a phone that's twice a good as the one you're talking about.
2 years from now rev will have a 6TB hardrive by Seagate that still only lasts 3 weeks.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jun 29,2010 10:46am
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]
In all seriousness and somewhat on a related note: 10 years from now I'll be bumping this thread for laughs. This technology is leading the way for advanced digital assistants- robots. We should all have small robots doing small things for us in 10 years. Anyone that can't see this is a fool.
We truly live in an evolving digital world. 2 years from now someone will have a phone that's twice a good as the one you're talking about.
2 years from now rev will have a 6TB hardrive by Seagate that still only lasts 3 weeks.
ALL TYPES OF WIN

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 29,2010 10:53am
....will rttp exist in 10 years for me to bump this?

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jun 29,2010 10:53am
nope, only robots.....ONLY ROBOTS

I want a robot....a hot one

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead Logged In .... Or NOT! at Jun 29,2010 11:06am
Aril, you're actually explaining what a smartphone is... PDAs were JUST organizers, they did NOT contain a phone. The term SMARTPHONE was coined when palm put a PHONE in one of their PDAs. It's their idea, they can call it whatever they want.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 29,2010 11:06am
If we can somehow avoid a WWIII or at least another signifigant financial meltdown, the future will finally look like 2015 in Back to the Future 2.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead Logged In .... Or NOT! at Jun 29,2010 11:07am
I just downloaded the Mario live wallpaper. Fucking awesome, I can't stop staring at it.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 29,2010 11:17am edited Jun 29,2010 11:18am
So just by adding a phone feature the whole "PDA" term becomes obsolete?
Fuck that, like I said, my phone usage is roughly 10% of my overall use of this device. Everything else (aside from games) would be classified as a PDA feature. I still think SmartPhone is a dumb name for these devices; there's nothing "smart" about it because it cannot make decisions by itself (yet). Therefore, I will continue to call all of these PDAs until they can do something without you telling it to.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 29,2010 11:20am
Give or take 3-5 years then I'm sure I'll join the trend by calling these SmartPhones.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 29,2010 11:50am
So just by adding a phone feature the whole "PDA" term becomes obsolete?

No. When no one bought the PDAs, the PDA term became obsolete. Thus, add a phone and call it 'smart'.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 29,2010 11:54am
Obviously I'm being facetious. Hopefully someone gets my point though. I think it's a little too early to call them "smart."

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 29,2010 11:58am
Obviously I'm being facetious. Hopefully someone gets my point though. I think it's a little too early to call them "smart."

You have an iPhone. You've no idea how smart these phones get, man. ;)

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 29,2010 12:05pm
I may have an iPhone, but at least I still have my car phone.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead Logged In .... Or NOT! at Jun 29,2010 12:10pm
You lie. You'd have cancer by now.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 29,2010 12:10pm
is the new iPhone any good or is it still an outdated device that has a sole purpose of being a feeble attempt at monopolizing the market?

toggletoggle post by sxealex   at Jun 29,2010 12:20pm
ive had my iphone like 2.5 years things still pretty decent i havent tried the new one yet but im sure its nice

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jun 29,2010 12:27pm
is the new iPhone any good or is it still an outdated device that has a sole purpose of being a feeble attempt at monopolizing the market?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/iphone-4-vs-evo-4g-fight/

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead Logged In .... Or NOT! at Jun 29,2010 12:38pm
New iPhone is good. It's not AMAZING, which is what apple wants people to think, but it's good.

The thing that sells me on the Evo is Android. I didn't even know I'd like it - but I LIKE it.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 29,2010 12:46pm
Therefore, get rid of windblows and use Linux.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 11,2010 8:22pm
fuck, i typed a long thing here and it disappeared due to my phone. crap.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jul 11,2010 8:24pm
Wow, can we get a summary?

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jul 11,2010 8:28pm
As an update, I have battery life well under control, and get a full day per charge now, at least. Turning off background sync, and setting up a page where I can turn off/on wifi, 3g, 4g, gps, sync, etc. The difference is ENORMOUS.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 11,2010 9:00pm
ive got to check my phone for the number of txtmsg cause it's being unusable right now.

basically said that the iphone beats the evo in screen dpi, processor power, and batterylife.
the samsung epic is goin to be awesome cause of the qwerty, amoled screen, and the a8 cortex humminbird processor does 4x the polygon transforms per second as the snapdragon. plus, the hummingbird shares stuff co-developed with apple on its a4 processor.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jul 11,2010 9:05pm
I agree on DPI, slightly agree on battery (I can get a spare, iPhone users CANNOT), and wonder where you found info on iPhone processor since they have not released any info on the processor that I've seen. (although I haven't really been looking for weeks)

toggletoggle post by nekronaut  at Dec 24,2010 6:42pm
As of today I was eligible for an upgrade. Radioshack has a special going where you trade in your old phone and a brand new Evo is only $99.

My girlfriend has had this phone for a while and I've been super jealous. I left Radioshack an hour ago and it has been the best hour of my cellular life. I love this thing.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Dec 24,2010 7:50pm
I was just looking at opengl comparisons between he epic 4g and every other phone. The epic (my phone) kills every other phone. Even comparing it with eclair (2.1) and a nexus s with gingerbread (2.3)

toggletoggle post by Alexecutioner at Dec 24,2010 7:51pm edited Dec 24,2010 7:51pm
Agreed, this phone is fucking awesome, been using it for the past month. If you get the larger battery to put in it the thing will easily last over 2 days without needing a charge

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Dec 24,2010 9:18pm
Ok.. fucking android... let me try to type this for the 5th time.

The evo is a 2pm phone and the epic is a 5pm phone. Which means you are going to need a charger in the day. Juice defender helps a lot, but still my major issue with android is the wildly inconsistent battery life. My touch pro2 wasn't a great phone, but I knew how long the battery would last and wht killed it was turning things on (wifi/bluetooth). Android isn't like that at all. The battery life isn't predictable at all. Some days, I get 23 hrs, other days under 6hrs before the phone turns off due to the battery.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Dec 24,2010 9:20pm
Where as my ipad is almost always a 1 charge a week thing.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Dec 24,2010 9:25pm
My evo lasts days on a single charge. Sounds like you're doing it wrong, rev.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Dec 24,2010 9:27pm
I can do a few hours of gps and use about half a battery. Also, video eats HUGE amounts of battery. I bought 4 batteries and 2 chargers for this phone thinking it was going to blow through batteries. I haven't had to swap my battery for about a month. I never run out of juice.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Dec 24,2010 10:00pm

toggletoggle post by nekronaut  at Dec 27,2010 5:04pm
Latest update has swype

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:type $#1!, get hit
[default homepage] [print][5:40:48pm Apr 23,2024
load time 0.02484 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]