New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Back On Black vinyl re-releases - yay or nay by demondave on Apr 16,2010 8:33pm
Add To All Your Pages!
Back On Black vinyl re-releases - yay or nay - usless poll
1I worship them
2Pretty Good - I get them now and then
3Lame Ass Cover Scanning
4Fuck Off! Originals or nothin!
no vote

toggletoggle post by demondave at Apr 16,2010 8:33pm
I really can't figure out how I feel about Back On Black.

Vinyl is awesome, and I am happy to have many enviable rarities in my collection. But I have no problem with getting reprints. I am not even an audio nazi - I just think vinyl is cool.

Back On Black have a lot of cool stuff, but sometimes I am disappointed with the artwork.

Have they never heard of Photoshop? What the fuck. Can't they just pony up and buy an LP off ebay if the artist doesn't have the artwork any more. Have they never heard of descreening? I have the Mercyful Fate - In the Shadows LP and you can see the marks that were caused by the jewel case on the edge of what they scanned. WTF? I could have wiped that out in seconds in photoshop. I was interested in getting Fabulous Disaster on vinyl until I saw how bad that came out. The cover for Holy Terror Mind Wars is pretty dark.

And they do great stuff too. The Death - Scream Bloody Gore LP looks awesome. Double splatter vinyl with extra tracks. Great looking. There is even a little LP ringwear in the original source they took it from, but the colors are so vivid and clear, that it offsets that completely.

What do other vinyl nuts think?

toggletoggle post by ark at Nov 28,2011 10:03am
there's a couple terrible photoshop fails i've seen on these. BUT if it's the only way i can get a favorite on vinyl, that's fine with me.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Nov 28,2011 10:17am
I'm not exactly Joe Vinyl, but I've passed on everything Back on Black I've come across so far. There are circumstances where I'm fine with having a repress, but for the most part I approach my vinyl collecting pretty exclusively. If it's not exactly what I want I'll pass on something, and hope that what I'm looking for at a price I can live with comes along.

But yeah, shitty artwork ruins the whole point of collecting vinyl.

toggletoggle post by chrisREX at Nov 28,2011 10:55am
I hate them. HATE. They more often then not have shitty art, and they sound like shit. It's like they took the audio from old napster mp3s. The transitions are fucked.

But what I hate most about this shitty company is that they bought reissue rights to so many awesome LPs, severely limiting the chance that a halfway decent version of Darkness Descends will ever get reissued.

toggletoggle post by NuclearWinter at Nov 28,2011 1:13pm
Nae. They should leave it to the pros -- seems they're in it for a quick cash-in. Terrible layout and sound quality. I've got their "Deathcrush" re-issue and a couple others I wouldn't be able to find on wax otherwise, but I usually avoid them.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Nov 28,2011 1:40pm
sound quality is alright on the darkthrone and emperor stuff i have but i don't have anything else to use as a reference. i don't get why they wouldn't make presses from a master? what is that shit?

toggletoggle post by BSV at Nov 29,2011 1:11am
I have a few. Not terrible but some scans are definitely lackluster. Helloween - Walls of Jericho, pops into mind at first but other than that I don't know. I'll be thinking about this lovely thread for a few spins....

I'm currently a sucker High Roller.

toggletoggle post by Lysander at Nov 29,2011 5:10am
Selling them.

toggletoggle post by chrisREX at Nov 29,2011 11:29am
High Roller should release everything. Also a big fan of Buried By Time and Dust. They do some real deal shit.

toggletoggle post by demondave at Feb 25,2012 9:13am

I totally want an LP of Dismember's - Like an ever flowing Stream, but whenever I look at it in Armageddon I just think ..."SON I AM DISAPPOINT".

toggletoggle post by KEVORD  at Feb 25,2012 12:13pm
demondave said[orig][quote]

I totally want an LP of Dismember's - Like an ever flowing Stream, but whenever I look at it in Armageddon I just think ..."SON I AM DISAPPOINT".

I have it. It's just alright. I think I paid $30 for it and it's not really worth it for what you get.

toggletoggle post by BSV at Feb 25,2012 12:41pm
I got Agent Steel - Skeptics Apocalypse and the scan is just awful. Poor excuse for a gatefold.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:type...click...think...edit...
[default homepage] [print][4:24:30am Apr 18,2024
load time 0.01714 secs/13 queries]
[search][refresh page]