New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Dead Can Dance by Triumphant_Gleam on Apr 6,2004 8:11pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Triumphant_Gleam  at Apr 6,2004 8:11pm
I understand they are part of the modern pagan revival and therefore political groups (i.e. Nazis) have shown interest in them. After all Varg Vikernes did claim to listen to DcD after killing Oystein Aarseth. Besides all the politics associated with this band, what do you think of them?

toggletoggle post by MaliceInLeatherland   at Apr 7,2004 12:35am
Dead Can Dance are essentially the "gothic band that metalheads like", along with The Sisters of Mercy and The Swans. I like their "Realm of the Dying Sun" album, when they were still fucking dark and morose.
Varg and Burzum are idiots. But DCD are great, and inspired Elend, another amazing band.

~ Basim

toggletoggle post by Ninkaszi187   at Apr 7,2004 2:23am
Swans were not a goth band. At all...

Anyway, Dead Can Dance is fucking great. "Spleen and Ideal" is one of my favorite albums ever. Oh yar, they aren't goth either.

toggletoggle post by Triumphant_Gleam  at Apr 7,2004 7:44am
the best DCD "tribute" I've heard so far is Arcana.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 7,2004 8:35am
I like dcd and side projects.
if you like them, you should like current93 or nature and the organisation.
if you like sisters, then you should also like fields of the nephlim.
I think the swans' singer is in angels of unlight now. that band is ok, nothing special. seems more like the stuff that the singer from eyeless in gaza went on to do.

toggletoggle post by succubus  at Apr 7,2004 8:59am edited Apr 7,2004 9:00am
i thought i replied to this last night after we got back...guess not...
i really like them
that's all i guess since i can't remember what i originally "thought" i posted

toggletoggle post by MaliceInLeatherland   at Apr 8,2004 6:32am
The Swans covered Joy Division's "love will tear us apart". Whether or not they're a "goth" band is arguable. But they're certainly Gothic.
And not metal at, thankfully. Keeps primates out of their fanbase.

~ B

toggletoggle post by litacore   at Apr 8,2004 10:03am
I remember checking out the Swans on a whim back in '98 or so. Children of God didn't yank me in, but the earlier stuff like Cop and Filth really made me a fan. Then I got to appreciate their later, Jarboe stuff.

I don't see them as progenitors of goth--industrial, maybe. Tribal? Yep.

Now they sit at the right hand of Venom as one of my favorite bands ever. Who knew?

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Apr 8,2004 12:08pm
i've heard some of the swans stuff and it didn't really strike me as goth. whatever it is, it's definitely interesting.

toggletoggle post by anonymous at Apr 8,2004 1:53pm
the term Goth is a vague one. Nick Cave gets called Australian Deathrock/goth. Dead Can Dance gets labeled goth. The Swans as well, which is because early on in all of those bands careers, the only people that would buy those albums were kids in the Gothic scene.
Folks that listened to bands like Lycia, Skinny Puppy, Bauhaus and Joy Division.

Something tells me most of you are simply in denial that a band which pulls you in could be classified as goth. Only idiots let stigmas dictate what they like and dislike.

Conformists.

toggletoggle post by MaliceInLeatherland   at Apr 8,2004 1:54pm
Oh yeah, that was me. Another Gothic band that metal heads like is that clown, Sopor Aeternus. What a fucking idiot.

~ B

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Apr 8,2004 2:28pm
what about mortiis?

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Apr 8,2004 2:31pm
and i agree with you basim about letting stigmas dictate taste. the only genres i usually stay away from based on the label are hardcore and emo, but i have heard some songs i like there too. pretty much every genre has something good to offer.

toggletoggle post by Ninkaszi at Apr 8,2004 3:46pm
MaliceInLeatherland said:
The Swans covered Joy Division's "love will tear us apart". Whether or not they're a "goth" band is arguable. But they're certainly Gothic.
And not metal at, thankfully. Keeps primates out of their fanbase.

~ B

I wouldn't even call Joy Divison goth. Goth to me, is Sisters Of Mercy, Fields Of The Nephilim, old Christian Death etc. Swans has nothing to do with that stuff. Also, tons of "metalheads" love Swans. Bands like Godflesh, Neurosis, Methadrone, Womb, and even Napalm Death were influenced by Swans. I guess they are all gothic too?

And you are trashing metal heads now? haha Remember the old Cursed For Eternity show in Lexington? You were jumping around like a primate if I remember correctly, so you are a total hypocrite. But I guess that was before you even knew what goth was, and you have "matured". Your only here because someone trashed your band, rightfully so.

toggletoggle post by Maliceinleatherland   at Apr 8,2004 4:52pm
No, I said Swans influenced alot of metal bands. I considered them Gothic the same way Joy Division is called Gothic. The only metal heads I've trashed are the ones that act like primates. Bigoted, closed minded fuck heads.

I still listen to Carcass, and yes, I like a good metal show.
I loved the Cursed for Eternity show, it's great to see someone from way back then.
The reason I first got on this board was because someone trashed my band. On the basis of us seeming "homosexual" among other things haha. I mean, honestly, I think slander is slander. It needs to be contested. If I was interested in perpetuating drama I'd have posted anonymously and started flaming.

Could someone who matured still listen to TSOL? I mean honestly.
~ Basim

PS It's great to see someone from way back when. We should hang sometime.

toggletoggle post by dunwich  at Apr 8,2004 10:11pm
Dead Can Dance are one of my favorite bands from any genre. The last album that I bought was the self titled cd and I've been playing it constantly since. I don't think that Varg mentioning them in passing in an interview is any evidence of any "politics" associated with the band what so ever.

toggletoggle post by BornSoVile   at Apr 9,2004 12:32am
interesting stuff. anyone like kraftwerk?

toggletoggle post by MaliceInLeatherland   at Apr 9,2004 12:46am
Not much of a Kraftwerk fan. But I love Fad Gadget and Skinny Puppy. Does that count?

toggletoggle post by prozak  at Apr 9,2004 12:48am
NEOCLASSICAL.

Originally industrial, which can be goth, ebm, even guitar music like their first album (trés Ministry).

toggletoggle post by prozak  at Apr 9,2004 12:48am
BornSoVile said:
interesting stuff. anyone like kraftwerk?

Yes. Lots.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Jul 22,2010 9:22am
This thread is lame and suspiciously absent of any Dead Can Dance.

bennyhillifier

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by SkinSandwich at Jul 22,2010 9:31am
2004 ist Nazi

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 22,2010 9:52am
I hope you bumped this because of the enya thread.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Jul 22,2010 10:28am
yeah, i did.
if you like bands such as enya and dead can dance, you'll love insane clown posse.

toggletoggle post by blessed offal nli at Jul 22,2010 5:09pm
spleen and ideal is always FTW

toggletoggle post by htr   at Jul 22,2010 10:43pm
those motherfuckers are still around?

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Hostile Masochistic Gunshot
[default homepage] [print][1:59:25pm Mar 28,2024
load time 0.01618 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]