New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Good Jazz - Mingus, Monk, Coltrane and Jaco by MaliceInLeatherland on Apr 5,2004 10:22am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by MaliceInLeatherland   at Apr 5,2004 10:22am
I can't say how glad I was to read that you guys dig jazz. I'm a *huge* fan of Jaco Pastorious, it's like all I listen to sometimes. He kinda prompted me to rip the frets out of my first bass. Oh man, the memories. But the composers I come back to are the ones who wrote maudlin pieces and had a knack for crafting the most ghoulish melodies.

Thelonious Monk is my favorite composer jazz/otherwise, mostly because of his disturbing use of offkilter rhythms. I also LOVE the lead lines in tracks like Epistrophy, Off Minor, Well You Needn't and 'Round Midnight.
Coltrane wrote the most moving piece of music when he responded to a Church bombing with "Alabama". Alabama is the most miserable sounding tune I've ever heard.
Any of you really into jazz?
~ Basim

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 5,2004 10:25am
charles parker is my fav.

toggletoggle post by MaliceInLeatherland   at Apr 5,2004 10:27am
awwww yea, The Bird. He's got some ripping solos!

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 5,2004 10:36am
problem is that all his recordings sound like shit. I had a track on a mix tape when I was little. good times.

toggletoggle post by MaliceInLeatherland   at Apr 5,2004 10:39am
have you seen any movies on Coltrane?!? He really threw his body into soloing. Eruption of emotion, pretty much.
~ Basim

toggletoggle post by succubus  at Apr 5,2004 10:46am
what about Chett Baker?
i'm a huge fan

toggletoggle post by MaliceInLeatherland   at Apr 5,2004 12:58pm
hell yeah. Cool nick!

toggletoggle post by morkul  at Apr 5,2004 1:48pm
Chick Corea has got some killer music, as well as people like Bill Bruford, Gene Krupa ,Buddy rich, I could go on and on. I am mainly into the drummer's side of jazz but Coltrane, aw man that guy could do some shit with his instrument. I love the recordinds he did with Rashid Ali. All improv and all killer.

toggletoggle post by abhorred  at Apr 5,2004 3:32pm
Joe Pass is one of my top 10 guitarits, also i love Duke Ellington and the Marsallis (im sure i spelled that wrong) family...and of course as many people have already said Coltrane is a god and charlie parker is amazing too..

toggletoggle post by Cryptic Anthony at Apr 5,2004 3:57pm
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Pat Metheny.

toggletoggle post by Cryptic Anthony at Apr 5,2004 3:59pm
Well, Metheny's more fusion than anything. Jaco rarely played straight ahead jazz though.. certainly not on his solo records.

I like Charlie Parker records because they sound like dancing bumblebees.

toggletoggle post by assuck   at Apr 5,2004 6:10pm
MaliceInLeatherland said:
Coltrane wrote the most moving piece of music when he responded to a Church bombing with "Alabama". Alabama is the most miserable sounding tune I've ever heard
~ Basim

thats what ive been saying for quite some time now. i'm glad someone else knows that song.

toggletoggle post by retzam at Apr 5,2004 8:09pm
I dig Louis Armstrong's voice!

toggletoggle post by kyleisrad at Apr 5,2004 10:17pm
what about miller, jaco is my favorite bassist in the world(also tore frets out of my bass) but when it comes to funk only Miller can hold anything to jaco. jazz, don't even try it, unless your Mingus.

toggletoggle post by The_ExhumeD  at Apr 6,2004 12:36am
kyle I noticed you ripped your frets out and filled them in with epoxy??? super glue????? that takes balls.... I dont think Id ever do that with guitar... heard you live like ten minutes from malone now.. .well if you ever need to audition a guitarist besides tony or john let me know... It was a first practice with andrew you do know that right???

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Festering Narcotic Apprentice
[default homepage] [print][5:40:28am Mar 28,2024
load time 0.01260 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]