New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> sheet music and terminology = OUTDATED by arilliusbm on Oct 21,2009 1:40pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 21,2009 1:40pm
perhaps I'll get shit for this one, but I think it's got to be said. Here's my Conservationist thread of the day:

For years I've thought it was idiotic the way sheet music is written. it was initially developed by monks in medieval times and progressed over the next few hundred years. WHY ARE WE STILL USING IT? there are way better ways to read music, at least in my opinion. Why not use numbers, or simple letters in a flowing pattern? I know a lot of you guys prefer tabs over sheet music, which is better for guitar anyway. But sheet music, coupled with old Italian terminology is outdated.

Arpeggio, tremolo, etc. it's time to update the way music is written, described, and accepted my friends.

reform sheet music and terminology to meet today's standards or you're a pussy.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Oct 21,2009 1:41pm
GP4 for the win

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Oct 21,2009 1:42pm
tabs are actually super fucking old. I want to say older than notation, but I'm not 100% on that.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 21,2009 1:42pm
It would make sense.

toggletoggle post by martinswork at Oct 21,2009 1:43pm
GP5 for the win.

toggletoggle post by Sacreligion at Oct 21,2009 1:43pm
Why would it need to change? That'd be like renaming an apple to something else and saying "It's not an apple anymore!"

toggletoggle post by DrewBlood@Work at Oct 21,2009 1:43pm
have you ever read sheet music for jazz? new terminology all over the place

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 21,2009 1:44pm
Pretty much the point of this retarded thread is why is musical composition still written conservatively?

Electronic music is usually written differently - I mean I grew up reading music in descending numbers and patterns. It's way easier than sheet music and stupid Italian terminology.

toggletoggle post by martinswork at Oct 21,2009 1:44pm
I agree with aril, though. With sheet music, unless coated in extra notation that makes it even harder to read, tells you nothing about fingering. I'm not just talking about guitar, either. People have been using sheet music for years and it pretty much fills up a good chunk of time in Music Theory 1.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 21,2009 1:45pm
DrewBlood@Work said[orig][quote]
have you ever read sheet music for jazz? new terminology all over the place

I took a few jazz classes in college and thought it was better than most.

I've held this opinion since I've been actively creating music.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 21,2009 1:49pm
Sacreligion said[orig][quote]
Why would it need to change? That'd be like renaming an apple to something else and saying "It's not an apple anymore!"

Because it over complicates simple things. I'm sure people who are classically trained would disagree; but I think music needs a fucking face lift.

toggletoggle post by metalguy at Oct 21,2009 1:49pm
It isn't outdated at all. Unless you can find a another way to keep hundreds of musicians in the same room playing the same thing.

Even if you digitized it you wouldn't be able to get rid the music notation.

Music notation does too much to keep all musicians in check. Not all musicians are in a rock band with 4 other dudes and can take the time to say...

"It is an Abmin chord!"

"No you idiot it is just Amin we are tuned down idiot!"

"You guys are both retards! It is obviously a Fret 5 minor chord."

"WHAT ARE ALL THE OTHER NUMBERS?!"

toggletoggle post by Sacreligion at Oct 21,2009 1:52pm
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]
Because it over complicates simple things. I'm sure people who are classically trained would disagree; but I think music needs a fucking face lift.

Notes and rhythms will still be read virtually the same way though. Sheet music's just the universally accepted way so that people in any language can understand it, like metalguy said.

toggletoggle post by metalguy at Oct 21,2009 1:52pm
However, I definitely think that musical notation is dumb when you are in a rock band and one dude uses it and the others don't. Yet still tries to force it on the rest of the band.

Like I said, it is about communication. And there are some people are still comfortable using it. It is a powerful tool to be able to read the stuff.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 21,2009 1:55pm
I'm not knocking it in that sense. It has served its purpose, obviously. But it's the traditional, orthodox, way of reading music.

I would think more people would want to upgrade it to something better: perhaps an anology would be like updating Windows 95 to Windows XP.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Oct 21,2009 1:55pm
Standard notation makes perfect sense to describe the music, just not necessarily what your hands are doing to make said music. The idea is to understand the music and then make your hands do that, not to describe the physical motions of playing. (Besides which, there are a million and one tab interpretations possible based on the same staff notation; interpreting the staff onto the fretboard is a big part of the artistry of guitar - not just aping someone else's version that they probably sat down and learned from a CD anyway.)

tl;dr: MAN UP NUCCA

toggletoggle post by metalguy at Oct 21,2009 1:55pm
WE SHOULD READ MUSIC LIKE GUITAR HERO FOR SURE!!

toggletoggle post by martinswork at Oct 21,2009 1:57pm
Okay, who here, of the whiners, can sight read a piece of sheet music on guitar or bass and be 100% sure that the fingering is the best one for the purpose?

I know I can't. Though I have tried before.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 21,2009 1:58pm
metalguy said[orig][quote]
WE SHOULD READ MUSIC LIKE GUITAR HERO FOR SURE!!

I grew up with tracking programs in the early 90s. Way before Guitar Hero - I hate that shit.

Music is colors and emotions - notation can't capture that, like you said DYA. But I fail to see how it's the BEST way to read notation. It's just orthodox and what everyone was trained in.

toggletoggle post by Sacreligion at Oct 21,2009 1:59pm
Sight-reading is beyond me. I can map it out but not on the fly.

toggletoggle post by martinswork at Oct 21,2009 1:59pm
Kinda like New Standard Tuning, you can change the standard if you want, but the majority will not accept it.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 21,2009 2:01pm
It's just something to think about -
it would be great to devise a better way that's easier on the eyes.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 21,2009 2:02pm
...and doesn't use italian terminology. FUCK THAT GIVE ME ENGLISH PLEASE

toggletoggle post by martinswork at Oct 21,2009 2:02pm
PIANISSIMO!!!

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Oct 21,2009 2:03pm
martinswork said[orig][quote]
Okay, who here, of the whiners, can sight read a piece of sheet music on guitar or bass and be 100% sure that the fingering is the best one for the purpose?

I know I can't. Though I have tried before.

My hands do that part, the eyes are too busy lookin at bewbs.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 21,2009 2:04pm
this retarded thread wasn't made out of angst and frustration of me failing to comprehend standard notation; rather, it was made because there's not enough innovation in changing the norm of what's accepted as the best way of reading music.

toggletoggle post by martinswork at Oct 21,2009 2:04pm
I want to understand the logistics of that but I'm afraid.

toggletoggle post by martinswork at Oct 21,2009 2:05pm
recitativo secco

toggletoggle post by martinswork at Oct 21,2009 2:06pm
BASSO CONTINUO!!!!

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Oct 21,2009 2:06pm
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]
...and doesn't use italian terminology. FUCK THAT GIVE ME ENGLISH PLEASE

Aril is to sheet music as Billy Milano is to immigrants.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 21,2009 2:07pm
it's all about efficiency, brah.

toggletoggle post by Sacreligion at Oct 21,2009 2:07pm
I sometimes fuck with Finale Notepad and come up with chord progressions and melodies on there. It's a breath of fresh air from trying to do it on guitar all the time or shapes and colors like in Fruity Loops.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 21,2009 2:07pm
Fruity Loops sucks. PERIOD.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 21,2009 2:10pm
you guys need to throw on some more traditional eastern music

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Oct 21,2009 2:11pm
Fergia, Fergia, Nippola, Nippola, Nippola, Nippola, Cantalopes, el petrudo, Opera Man grande stiffo, Bye Bye!

toggletoggle post by reimroc at Oct 21,2009 2:14pm
RITARD!

toggletoggle post by blue  at Oct 21,2009 2:28pm
I'm guessing this is a thread full of people who can't read sheet music?

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 21,2009 2:29pm
People who disagree with how sheet music is presented.

toggletoggle post by reimroc at Oct 21,2009 2:31pm
I can read sheet music. I read that stuff from the 4th grade all the way to my senior year and past when i marched a couple seasons in drum corps.

I do find that improv can be much mor fun and reqarding for the player which is why i love playing and listening to jazz.

toggletoggle post by martinswork at Oct 21,2009 2:37pm
blue said[orig][quote]

Incorrect assumption. You what they say about assumption? It's supposed to be a pretty good college.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 21,2009 2:41pm edited Oct 21,2009 2:42pm
martinswork said[orig][quote]
blue said[orig][quote]

Incorrect assumption. You what they say about assumption? It's supposed to be a pretty good college.

They've got a well-known basketball drill. It's the "Assumption Lay-up Drill" and that shit used to get tiring after a while.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Oct 21,2009 2:45pm
my bro graduated from there a couple years ago

toggletoggle post by brodown at Oct 21,2009 2:45pm
http://www.noteflight.com How's that for modernization?

toggletoggle post by martinswork at Oct 21,2009 3:04pm
That's still the same type of notation aril hates oh so much.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 21,2009 3:18pm
I guess I'll just stick to my numbers and colors and continute being made fun of for being retarded.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Oct 21,2009 3:24pm
Take DMT so the numbers ARE colors.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 21,2009 3:25pm
Provide that at your party and maybe I will.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:skynet is always watching protecting you
[default homepage] [print][10:40:10pm Apr 19,2024
load time 0.01928 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]