Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Dune movies... by arktouros on Sep 16,2009 10:46am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by arktouros at Sep 16,2009 10:46am
No doubt it's the greatest sci-fi story ever. We have David Lynch's Dune, and the excellent SciFi Channel miniseries which is more direct from the book. I just picked up the uncut miniseries, and I'm really digging it but I still prefer the Lynch version.

Lynch's Paul Atreides isn't the Skywalker-esque whiny bastard that's portrayed in the miniseries, but both are acted out very well. Of course you can't beat Lynch's cinematography and trippy imagery, and coupled with the more Shakespearean acting in it (Kyle McLaughlin and Patrick Stewart) it gives it a more epic, grand atmosphere than the miniseries I think. Both have excellent special effects for the times they came out, but Lynch's are more creative. Some of the victorious 80's metal guitar riffs in the otherwise excellent soundtrack are laughable (the end character credits are ridiculously cheesy) but riding the worm next to Muad'Dib while on LSD was fucking fantastic.

If you've never seen/read Dune, get on it, unless you're a little slow/don't like scifi. Which do you guys prefer?

vs.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Sep 16,2009 10:54am
The miniseries was technically closer to the books, but the visual style of the movie wins it for me. Plus roughly a thousand techno DJs owe Lynch royalties for that "technique involving sound" bit.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Nov 17,2009 3:15pm
man... DYA and I the only supernerds here? I just re-purchased the book.

toggletoggle post by reimroc at Nov 17,2009 3:22pm
i've read dune 6 times. such a good book. nerdy as fuck though. Herbet is definitely the JRR Tolkein of sci-fi.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Nov 17,2009 3:29pm
reimroc said[orig][quote]
nerdy as fuck though. Herbet is definitely the JRR Tolkein of sci-fi.

Yeah that's a good comparison. I think Dune incorporates the mature political and environmental issues that are missing from LOTR, that are actually relevant to our society. LOTR is a child's tale compared to it imho....I think I officially became a grown-up nerd the day I understood Dune and deleted my WoW account

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Nov 17,2009 3:29pm
arktouros said[orig][quote]
man... DYA and I the only supernerds here? I just re-purchased the book.

come on now, don't forget about lil ol me.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Nov 17,2009 3:30pm
I fucking LOVE dune. you know dis!

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Nov 17,2009 3:30pm
I couldn't have mounted the worm without you.

hahahah..........

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Nov 17,2009 3:32pm
that sounded awful.

toggletoggle post by oscarct  at Nov 17,2009 3:34pm
I have been wanting to watch this for a while now, will get to opening the dvd soon

toggletoggle post by Boxxy at Nov 17,2009 4:02pm
any one here fucked their sister recently? OH burn. nerds.

toggletoggle post by ark at Mar 18,2010 7:12pm
FUCK OFF, THIS RULES

toggletoggle post by Josh Cunt at Mar 18,2010 10:39pm
I saw Dune in the theaters in 6th grade. Liked it. The book is fucking awesome. Read it for a class in college but we studied it from a sociological standpoint, not a literary one. Interesting.
The miniseries bored me to tears.
I'm finally getting around to reading the sequels. I was halfway through Children of Dune when I lost it while drunk. :(

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Mar 19,2010 8:53am
My girlfriend made me watch 45 minutes of this movie from the middle last night at like 2am. I had no idea what the fuck was going on haha.

She wants to watch it from the beginning with me though since she's nerdy as fuck.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Mar 19,2010 8:57am
can i have her number?

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Mar 19,2010 9:01am
You may not.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Mar 19,2010 9:20am
Haha, yeah, late at night in the middle of it is NOT where to start this one. Fuck, think I'll put it on while I'm waiting for the guy to come fix the roof. (Bet there are no leaking roofs on Arrakis, I'll tell you what.)

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Mar 19,2010 9:23am
DestroyYouAlot said[orig][quote]
Haha, yeah, late at night in the middle of it is NOT where to start this one. Fuck, think I'll put it on while I'm waiting for the guy to come fix the roof. (Bet there are no leaking roofs on Arrakis, I'll tell you what.)

haha that's what I figured. My girlfriend read a bunch of synopsis stuff so she was trying to clue me in. The story sounds pretty fucking deep. Plus there's spaceships and Agent Dale Cooper and Capt. Piccard.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Mar 19,2010 9:31am
And Brian May, and Toto, and Sting. Yeah, it rules.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Mar 19,2010 9:46am
haha that's right. I forgot about Sting.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Mar 19,2010 11:52am
Yeah, the part with Gurney Hallack (Patrick Stewart) kicking Harkonnen ass with a pug dog under his arm is one of the most badass moments in film history. LOL

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Jun 8,2010 3:27pm
I have now seen the miniseries and the movie. My girlfriend nerdily read the book. I will not. LULZ

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 8,2010 3:55pm
I just ran across a copy of the first miniseries that I didn't know I had. SCORE.

I actually own 1st print hardcovers of the first trilogy. [/NERD]

toggletoggle post by deathchick   at Jun 8,2010 5:30pm
I watched the movie when I was a kid, the mini series a few years ago, and just read the trilogy last year. Loved the books.
I still want to go back and watch the movie again now that I have a big appreciation for Lynch's other works.

toggletoggle post by Josh Cunt at Jun 8,2010 5:32pm
Trilogy? There's 6 of 'em

toggletoggle post by AndrewBastard at Jun 8,2010 5:46pm
im a huge scifi and fantasy geek but nevee bother to READ Dune...seen the lynch movie but never the tv series. Im gonna pickup the book as im in the market for new reading material anyway...

toggletoggle post by deathchick   at Jun 8,2010 5:49pm
Josh%20Cunt said[orig][quote]

I meant first 3 books

toggletoggle post by Randy_Marsh at Jun 8,2010 6:14pm
dune is excellent. i wanna have a drunk dune movie night at my apartment sometime, that would be fun.

toggletoggle post by thuringwethil at Jun 8,2010 6:18pm
i still havent seen it all the way through.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 8,2010 6:20pm
Josh%20Cunt said[orig][quote]

The first three are commonly seen as a trilogy, and Herbert referred to them as such.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 8,2010 6:20pm
And apparently? I need to check whether my Dune is a first edition (or just an early printing), 'cause apparently that shit's worth crazy money.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Dec 11,2010 11:24am

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Dec 11,2010 11:57am
Win.

toggletoggle post by ValkyrieScreams  at Dec 11,2010 4:36pm
^^^that was kinda awesome

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Dec 11,2010 4:42pm
hah, I was just going to post the same picture. blastbeat me to it.

toggletoggle post by ValkyrieScreams  at Dec 11,2010 4:43pm
PS, I was actually looking for Dune on my dvd shelf last night and couldn't find it... coulda sworn my roommate had it. Its been a really long time since I've seen it. Anybody wanna loan me a copy? =D

toggletoggle post by frankovhell at Dec 11,2010 5:05pm
Lynch version is awesome. Never seen the miniseries but I bet its cheesy. Cuz I'm presumptuous

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Dec 11,2010 6:29pm edited Dec 11,2010 6:29pm
Miniseries actually sticks closer to the letter of the book (has more time to tell the whole story, and gets less "creative license-y" with the "technique involving sound" stuff). It's obviously not a giant production with a Ben Hur-sized budget like the Lynch movie was, so the effects are pretty reliant on CGI (not terribly done, I might add), and the visual style is cool but not over-the-top awesome like the Lynch movie was - it's a double-edged sword. I like'em both.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at May 12,2011 12:03pm
i love both of them for what they are. If you're talking about the 2.5hour lynch movie, then i like the miniseries better... but if you're talking about the 4.5(ish) lynch film, then i like IT better than the miniseries. That longer one PERFECTLY took up the middle of our acid peak.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at May 12,2011 12:03pm

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at May 12,2011 2:16pm

toggletoggle post by Randy_Marsh at May 12,2011 2:18pm
goodnight moon is the best novel i have ever read.

toggletoggle post by DrewBlood@Work at May 12,2011 7:56pm
the first time i read Dune, i read it in one sitting from cover to cover. it is still my favorite novel to this day. i love all the details and complexities that Herbert wove into the book while not going completely overboard (like other sci fi and fantasy authors are inclined to do), but instead gave just enough detail as to illustrate depth.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:watch out for plagues of locusts
[default homepage] [print][7:26:15am Apr 20,2024
load time 0.01704 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]