New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Andrew WK & The Calder Quartet at the Coolidge Corner Theater by boblovesmusic on Aug 19,2009 3:46pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at Aug 19,2009 3:46pm edited Aug 19,2009 3:47pm

Tues, Sept 29 @ 9:00

Bloody-nose rocker turned motivational speaker and TV personality performs on solo piano with the Calder Quartet, a contemporary classical ensemble described as, "quite possibly the finest - and definitely the most adventurous - American chamber ensemble" (Bloomberg News). Stimulating all parts of your brain, A.W.K. and Calder Quartet have teamed up to perform a collaborative show, mixing reverence with irreverence, and offering their audience a chance for both rapt listening and raucous dancing. Challenging music lovers to explore their comfort zones, A.W.K. and Calder Quartet perform together towards a liberated and impassioned definition of art. Their collaboration began at the acclaimed Wordless Music Series in New York City, where they received favorable coverage and critical response, including write ups in both the NY Times and LA Times. A.W.K. and Calder Quartet had original works commissioned by The Explorers Club, premiered at the Club's renowned annual dinner in New York City. Perhaps Metal Edge Magazine best described their recent work together when they wrote: "It was strange as hell and it pretty much ruled."

"The Calder Quartet's performance with Andrew W.K. for the Wordless Music series in November of 2008 was, without a doubt, one of the all-time highlights of the series' concerts to date. From the Calder's selections of music for string quartet and electronics by Philip Glass and Christine Southworth, to Andrew's improvisations on themes of Bach, to the final closing numbers from the Andrew W.K. songbook (with certain raucous audience members joining the band onstage), it was a night I will not soon forget and hope to be able to repeat soon." -Ronen Givony, Wordless Music Series Producer

http://coolidge.org/node/2416

Andrew WK... at the Coolidge! I might get to hang out with the dude since I work there and such!

toggletoggle post by BrianDBB  at Aug 19,2009 3:53pm
FUCK YES! Been waiting to see this dude again for YEARS!

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Aug 19,2009 3:53pm
i hate this guys music but his live show is astounding.

toggletoggle post by immortal13 at Aug 19,2009 10:05pm
Bri there is NO way we are missing this.

toggletoggle post by succubus  at Aug 19,2009 10:34pm
i met my guy at Andrew WK show...hmmm almost 7 years ago now

about AWK-awesome dude, got to spend a lot of time chatting with him..pretty smart guy...

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at Aug 19,2009 10:45pm
I most likely will be there that night and thus I'll be able to give popcorn out to people!

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at Aug 19,2009 10:49pm
succubus said[orig][quote]
i met my guy at Andrew WK show...hmmm almost 7 years ago now

about AWK-awesome dude, got to spend a lot of time chatting with him..pretty smart guy...

Really? That's really funny! I would've never guessed that fact!

A buddy of mine spent an hour or two talking with AWK about philosophy. I'm so excited for this!

toggletoggle post by brodown at Aug 20,2009 10:26am
AWK is the fucking man. He will talk to anybody about anything, and has a fucking insane live show!

toggletoggle post by jaskillx at Aug 21,2009 3:29am
is he just playing piano? will he be doing anything else?

toggletoggle post by jaskillx at Aug 21,2009 3:35am
oh snap i didn't know about this:

andrew has continued to work and perform as a member of the legendary musical group, Current 93, playing bass guitar at their May 30th, 2009 live concert in Leipzig, Germany, at the Wave-Gotik-Treffe festival.
Andrew's bass, piano, guitar, and vocal work also appears on the Current 93 album, "Aleph At Hallucinatory Mountain"

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Aug 21,2009 8:34am

toggletoggle post by jaskillx at Aug 21,2009 8:58am
thanks for the seizure...

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at Sep 27,2009 4:31pm
Get your tickets soon! This will sell out!

I'm working that night so I might be able to give you popcorn hehe

toggletoggle post by brodown at Sep 28,2009 3:07pm
Wren--popcorn will be eaten by me, as I will be in attendance. Where can I find ya?

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at Sep 29,2009 12:46pm
Look for the hair!

toggletoggle post by brodown at Sep 29,2009 1:00pm
Anyone interested in a ticket? I have an extra now, had a friend back out on me.

toggletoggle post by BrianDBB  at Sep 29,2009 1:03pm
If my class gets outs REALLY early tonight (doubt it), i'll holla. But if anybody else offers to take it, give it to them first.

toggletoggle post by brodown at Sep 29,2009 1:03pm
Skip class, its for douchebags anyway. Show doesn't start till 9...

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Sep 29,2009 1:10pm
brodown said[orig][quote]
Skip class, its for douchebags anyway.

i am in agreeance with this statement.

toggletoggle post by jonahatwork at Sep 29,2009 5:08pm
still seats left, tonight only!

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic@coolidge at Sep 29,2009 6:36pm
a number of seats left!

toggletoggle post by jonahatwork at Sep 29,2009 6:38pm
I'm a pony.

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at Sep 30,2009 1:54pm
string quartet/piano ballad version of "I Get Wet" for the win!

You all missed out on something very special!

toggletoggle post by brodown at Sep 30,2009 4:17pm
I got a fairly ghetto recording of the whole event on my phone...the 'quiet' stuff in the beginning is pretty listenable, as it got more rowdy the clapping and singalongs got to be much louder than the music.

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at Sep 30,2009 4:21pm
post it if you can!

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at Sep 30,2009 4:22pm
4'33" was brilliant

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at Oct 2,2009 9:43am

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:type...click...no thinking required
[default homepage] [print][12:55:57pm Apr 23,2024
load time 0.03077 secs/13 queries]
[search][refresh page]