New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> 2009-2010 NBA predictions by Bradness nli on Jun 25,2009 5:42pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Bradness nli at Jun 25,2009 5:42pm
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090625/sp_af...valierssunsshaqjames_20090625211048

this outta be interesting.

CLEVELAND, Ohio (AFP) – The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired 15-time all-star Shaquille O'Neal in a blockbuster trade with the Phoenix Suns that brings two of the NBA biggest stars together for the first time.

The trade pairs O'Neal with LeBron James, who was voted the league's most valuable player last year.

In exchange for O'Neal, Phoenix gets centre Ben Wallace and guard Sasha Pavlovic.

"It is a really unique and rare opportunity to bring in a player of Shaq's calibre," Danny Ferry, Cleveland's general manager said Thursday. "We are excited to see how his presence, experience and play positively impacts our team.

"We truly appreciate all that Ben and Sasha gave to this team and community in their time here. They were good teammates, and we wish them nothing but success."

O'Neal, a four-time NBA championship winner and former first overall pick of the Orlando Magic (1992), is expected to become a dominant force for the Cavaliers.

O'Neal is set to make 20 million dollars in 2009-10. Cleveland unloads Wallace's 14 million dollar contract and Pavlovic's five million dollar deal.

O'Neal led the Los Angeles Lakers to three consecutive NBA titles from 2000-2002. The Lakers traded O'Neal to Miami and he took the Heat to another title three years ago.

The 37-year-old giant centre won the most valuable player award in 2000.

He averaged 17.8 points and 8.4 rebounds in 75 games last season as Phoenix missed the playoffs.

Cleveland hopes O'Neal can help the city break its championship drought. The Ohio city hasn't won an American sports championship since 1964, the year the gridiron Browns won the National Football League title.

as long as the Celtics are healthy I think they have a chance, but Cleveland just got Shaq, so they have a real chance now

toggletoggle post by quintessence  at Jun 25,2009 5:44pm
celtics need a better bench and also no fucking injuries this year....

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney at Jun 25,2009 5:45pm
I predict black guys dunking and old white guys complaining about how the refs never call traveling.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney at Jun 25,2009 5:47pm
I predict Stephen A. Smith will write several articles addressing an NBA player he is at least 17 years older than in common African-American street vernacular. Smith will likely enjoy a nice snack of cheez doodles as he pens these screeds.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney at Jun 25,2009 5:49pm
I predict Bill Simmons will write 12,000 words on possible deadline deals that will never get made, he will break the record for Lost references in a single article and in a stunning twist Simmons will reference the cancelled NBC series Kings.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney at Jun 25,2009 5:51pm
I predict the Curly Haired Boyfriend will write a column about the 1986 Celtics for no reason somewhere between December and March.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney at Jun 25,2009 5:53pm
I predict Vince Carter will have a resurgent year in Orlando and resolve to give his maximum 35% effort.

toggletoggle post by BoarcorpseJimbo   at Jun 25,2009 6:08pm
oh shit.

toggletoggle post by IllinoisEnemaBradness at Jun 25,2009 6:39pm
BobNOMAAMRooney said[orig][quote]
I predict the Curly Haired Boyfriend will write a column about the 1986 Celtics for no reason somewhere between December and March.

LOL! noice. Does Bob Lobel still do the sports for WBZ? Is he still drunk?

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney at Jun 25,2009 6:45pm
Lobel was fired last year, he now works on ESPN Radio's local afternoon drive show. I think all of five people listen to it.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jun 25,2009 6:48pm
that's an absolute given....its like saying everyone dies (except for Bova)

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jun 25,2009 6:49pm
Lobel was fired last year, he now works on ESPN Radio's local afternoon drive show. I think all of five people listen to it.
DALE AND HOLLEY FTW

toggletoggle post by MillenialKingdom  at Jun 25,2009 6:54pm
Apparently Danny Ainge wants to trade Rondo and Ray Allen.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jun 25,2009 6:56pm
as much as I love Rondo, if the rumors of the trade with Memphis are true (Rondo and Scal for Mike Conley Jr. and Rudy Gay), I'd take that yesterday

toggletoggle post by LPCustom at Jun 25,2009 7:33pm
C's need to fix their bench over anything as someone said. Unless they plan on not bothering with Rondo next year he should stay. I 100% want Ray Allen as a Celtic for the rest of his career, but from talks I've heard it doesn't sound like it will happen. So if both Rondo and Allen don't have futures in Boston you might as well take the money that they both make (more so Allen) and spend it on some decent bench players in addition to whoever you can get in a decent trade. Like I said though it would be devastating to seem them lose Allen.

Mikki Moore did nothing, Tony Allen seems to be completely past any decent playing career, doubtful Marbury will stay to come off the bench, and Pruitt/Giddens/Walker are not going to provide any help with how little experience they've had. Although Glen Davis was decent in the playoffs he still does a ton of stupid shit and will probably go wherever he will stupidly be offered too much $ (good player but not enough to build a team nor provide too much help like I'm sure someone will think).

That pretty much leaves Scal which I'm sure is a take or leave it situation (I do really like him though). Time to do some heavy thinking Danny Ainge - and here's to hoping he doesn't think Mikki Moore (or like last year Patrick O'Bryant) are going to make any significant impact on a Championship team!

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Jun 25,2009 7:35pm
Rubio is def gonna go to OKC next year. watch out for that team.

toggletoggle post by LPCustom at Jun 25,2009 7:40pm
The Clippers could on paper put together a better season with Baron Davis, Marcus Camby, Zack Randolph, and Blake Griffin - I feel like Griffin will have no immediate impact and that other shit won't work out for that team though.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jun 25,2009 7:50pm
LPCustom said[orig][quote]
C's need to fix their bench over anything as someone said. Unless they plan on not bothering with Rondo next year he should stay. I 100% want Ray Allen as a Celtic for the rest of his career, but from talks I've heard it doesn't sound like it will happen. So if both Rondo and Allen don't have futures in Boston you might as well take the money that they both make (more so Allen) and spend it on some decent bench players in addition to whoever you can get in a decent trade. Like I said though it would be devastating to seem them lose Allen.

Allen's contract expires after this upcoming season, hence them shopping him around. He's valuable now (expiring contracts always make a player more valuable in the NBA), so now is the time to get the most for his value. They could also keep him, let his contract expire, and try to sign one of the 20 or so big name free agents up for next offseason (a list that includes LeBron, D-Wade, Nowitzki, Bosh, etc.)

It is expected that when Rondo's contract is up (which I believe is 2 years from now), he will be looking for a max contract, and having 3 max contract guys on the roster currently (Ray, Pierce, KG), it would be impossible to keep him....that's why they are shopping him right now as well. after the playoffs he had, this is probably the best time to trade him if you're dead set on doing so

also, in the NBA, they have weird trade rules where the worth of the contracts have to be within a certain range between teams in order for the league to accept, so trading a Rondo for players that make much less money is not allowed

Mikki Moore did nothing, Tony Allen seems to be completely past any decent playing career, doubtful Marbury will stay to come off the bench, and Pruitt/Giddens/Walker are not going to provide any help with how little experience they've had. Although Glen Davis was decent in the playoffs he still does a ton of stupid shit and will probably go wherever he will stupidly be offered too much $ (good player but not enough to build a team nor provide too much help like I'm sure someone will think).

fuck Mikki Moore and MOTHERFUCK Tony Allen...every time Tony comes on the floor, I scream at my TV to get him out of the game....

the Cs front office are high on Pruitt, Giddens, and Walker, so considering they probably aren't being paid alot, they're not gonna go anywhere unless they need to use them in a trade to get the contracts to match

Big Baby really showed he can be a very good player in this league, and considering their lack of size after KG and Powe went down, they might want to overpay him a little to keep him...they need all the big men they can get

That pretty much leaves Scal which I'm sure is a take or leave it situation (I do really like him though). Time to do some heavy thinking Danny Ainge - and here's to hoping he doesn't think Mikki Moore (or like last year Patrick O'Bryant) are going to make any significant impact on a Championship team!

Scal is a very solid bench player - smart, shooting range, hustles - he's just VERY overpaid...I'm sure he realizes this and might take much less for his next contract (whenever that is) to stay put

I think if they stand pat and everyone stays healthy, they will become a championship contender again next year....on the same token, they do have some weaknesses to address (bigger bench, backup PG, if they trade Rondo, PG in general)...so yea, there's some moves that they might need to make to be a top team still

toggletoggle post by LPCustom at Jun 25,2009 7:59pm
Rusty - I am aware of all the points you've made/agree with most of what you say. I am aware of shopping contracts but the stuff that we have been offered (or rumored) just don't make sense at all which is why I said what I said about Allen and Rondo. You are dead on about Scal as well. While there is no reason to not be high on Giddens/Walker/Pruitt there really is no way they are going to provide any real spark with the experience they all have (D-League and garbage minutes) for a real contending Championship team. If Powe isn't expected to return 'til much later you could have a superb point about Davis - I knew I was missing one more guy on that bench - Powe is the fucking man.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jun 25,2009 8:23pm
like I said above, I really think the rumored trade with Memphis, which doesn't involve Ray, makes alot of sense and doesn't affect you next offseason if you want to go after one of those big name guys (in fact, Gay expires after next season, which could give you even more money to play with)

the other rumored trades don't make sense though...especially the one to Detroit, which was confirmed this afternoon on EEI by Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated...that raises some questions:

1) why would the Cs offer that trade? it makes no sense from their end

2) according to Mannix, someone in the organization, NOT Ainge, made the offer directly....why would Ainge let someone else make a legitimate trade offer to any team directly?

3) why did Detroit turn that down? if I were them, I'd make that trade any day of the week

toggletoggle post by LPCustom at Jun 25,2009 8:39pm
I like your thoughts dude - no joke. I really think this off-season and next are going to be quite interesting for the Cs though. This one to see what they do to contend and next one to see if they do in fact go for someone big.

I thought the supposed Phoenix trade a while ago was the biggest joke of all though.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jun 25,2009 8:57pm
See, I like Stoudamire ALOT...but the rumored trade would leave the Cs without a PG...Ray is better than Barbosa, so the 2 guard would be worse off....and you lose Ray's expiring contract to use next offseason

switching Barbosa for, say, Nash would make more sense for the Cs because 1) it gives you a PG in return and 2) Nash is another one who expires after next year, so they'll still be able to go for someone next offseason

toggletoggle post by LPCustom at Jun 25,2009 9:17pm
If Nash was included in that deal I would literally shit my pants - it would work out incredible.

Right now Phoenix is going to all hell whether to get younger or have salary room. O'Neal gone for basically nothing and Stoudamire likely next for about the same from Golden State (if all goes according to Golden States plan I suppose)!

I've said this before as well but isn't there bad blood between KG and Stoudamire? I'm not saying things can't change or whatever (especially if you can get to a Championship caliber team) but I don't know if that's the greatest idea? What ya think about that?

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jun 25,2009 9:23pm
I don't know of any bad blood....maybe, I just don't remember

toggletoggle post by LPCustom at Jun 25,2009 9:28pm
On court fights (numerous if I do remember correctly). You should YouTube it.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jun 25,2009 9:29pm
I shall when I get home

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jun 25,2009 9:32pm
oh btw, I don't know if anyone's following the draft right now, but Minnesota just took their 3rd PG in the 1st round, including 2 in a row earlier in the night....lol

there's gotta be att least 1 trade in the works with them...otherwise, that's just plain foolish

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jun 25,2009 9:34pm
I just saw that last Minnesota pick (which was Ty Lawson) was made to trade to Denver...starting to make more sense now

toggletoggle post by LPCustom at Jun 25,2009 9:38pm
There was supposed to be something involving Kevin Love but who knows. They were upset with him over something (leaking a name or something stupid?).

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 26,2009 10:35am
okay so the Magic just got Vince Carter for Rafer Alston.

Magic are going to be realy tough with Carter.

I like the guy the Celtics got - a high scoring guard that's got great potential.

But now that Shaq is on the Cavs, I'm thinking that it may be a great thing for them, or a bad thing. He could destroy the chemistry for the team (if you call it that). Basically, it could be the battle of the egos; that is unless LBJ respects Shaq and gives him the ball when he needs it. I'm expecting to see LBJ's rebound average go down a little bit with someone like Shaq.

Celtics I'm still shaky on. I think the whole Rondo talk is a little scary only because it seems him and Garnett get a long on the court quite nice. If we don't have Rondo, then Garnett's moral may be down. I came real close to calling EEI to yell at Dennis & Callahan the other morning over this, but didn't want to waste my time with those fucking douchebags.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jun 26,2009 11:19am
I despise D&C...I can't stand listening to them

toggletoggle post by LPCustom at Jun 26,2009 11:21am
Shaq moreso will ruin Lebron James' drain the shot clock and than drive it to the lane plan if he's clogging up the paint - anything is possible with too many huge egos though.

toggletoggle post by MillenialKingdom  at Jun 26,2009 1:22pm
I stand behind my hatred for Danny Ainge's business practices. If he deals away Rondo, I quit.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 26,2009 1:23pm
the celtics gave away chauncey billups years ago. they better not give up rondo.

toggletoggle post by darkwor  at Jun 26,2009 1:24pm
Michael Jordan: DEAD.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 26,2009 1:26pm
Reggie Lewis: DEAD.
Len Bias: DEAD.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jun 26,2009 1:34pm
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]
the celtics gave away chauncey billups years ago. they better not give up rondo.
that was a Pitino move...along with Ron Mercer...both in their rookie season...awful

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 26,2009 1:38pm
Seriously, I don't understand what all these rumors are about.
We won the damn championship 2 years ago and quite possibly would have made the finals this year if Garnett was healthy.
yes, allen's aging, yes rondo is learning, but come on.
The real problem is a solid bench, with no real big men to back up garnett/perkins. Mikki Moore was a fluke. I'm hoping the Celtics fix their bench before they think about getting rid of 2 starters.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:you are so smrt
[default homepage] [print][12:14:18pm Mar 28,2024
load time 0.03054 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]