Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Paganfest! by boblovesmusic on Apr 30,2009 10:13am
Add To All Your Pages!
May 1, 2009 the Palladium (Worcester, MA)
blackguard - 2009-05-01
Blackguard(174)
flash animated slider show
korpiklaani - 2009-05-01
Korpiklaani(186)
moonsorrow - 2009-05-01
Moonsorrow(196)
primordial - 2009-05-01
Primordial(190)
randomshots - 2009-05-01
Randomshots(6)
swashbuckle - 2009-05-01
Swashbuckle(91)

May 2009red means cancelled
toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at Apr 30,2009 10:13am

Anyone Paganfesting tomorrow?

(or Paganfisting?)

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 30,2009 10:16am
eluveitie is off this.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Apr 30,2009 10:16am
i'm going

toggletoggle post by archaeon at Apr 30,2009 10:17am
Too expensive considering i only want to really see Moonsorrow.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 30,2009 10:17am
wish I had my 85mm f/1.4 for this show.

toggletoggle post by darkwor  at Apr 30,2009 10:32am
Going for Primordial and Moonsorrow, I'm gonna try REALLY HARD to avoid the rest of this show, and grab a beer or five before and after.

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at Apr 30,2009 11:01am
I've heard that Swashbuckle is pretty good. must say I'm looking forward to the entire lineup!

toggletoggle post by aaron_michael  at Apr 30,2009 11:06am
they are!

toggletoggle post by MikeofdecrepitudE at Apr 30,2009 11:55am
I want to see Primordial and Moonsorrow, but I don't want to pay 30 bucks for two bands.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Apr 30,2009 11:57am
30 bucks is worth it for those two bands. i'd pay 30 just to see one of them.

toggletoggle post by quintessence  at Apr 30,2009 12:06pm
I'm probably going. Even though I shouldn't spend that money... I also always buy beer at the gayladium and spend even more money... ugh. Primordial is worth it though.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Apr 30,2009 12:18pm
I'm on the guest list and have a ride... But probably not going. Lulsz.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 1,2009 9:24am
up

toggletoggle post by thuringwethil at May 1,2009 9:31am
I'll be there. God I hate that fucking place though. Worse than Marks.

toggletoggle post by Stabby_McGunnakillya  at May 1,2009 9:31am
I've been waiting for moonsorrow to come around for so fucking long. Nobody seems to have any love for Korpiklaani..

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 1,2009 9:33am
what are you talking about korpiklaani rule.

toggletoggle post by HeavensJail_nli at May 1,2009 9:39am
yes, but in a rational world they don't headline over either Moonsorrow or Primordial.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 1,2009 9:42am
from what I heard, blame maurizio from kataklysm since he booked this show. I figured korpklaani was headlining cause they have the most members/set up time.

toggletoggle post by MikeofdecrepitudE at May 1,2009 9:43am
If this was a real "pagan fest", they would have excluded Korpiklaani and added someone like Pagan Reign, Heol Telwen or even Arkona.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at May 1,2009 10:39am
what time does this start, 7 or so? i REALLY want to see Moonsorrow and Primordial, but i don't think i could get there until at least 8:30, and if i'm going to pay 30 bucks i better see the bands i want to see.

toggletoggle post by y_draig_goch at May 1,2009 10:41am
korpiklanni is amazing fuck you all hahah

toggletoggle post by Yeti at May 1,2009 10:42am
according to the Palladium website it starts at 8. i want to see Blackguard too, i've heard good things. even though it wouldn't happen i'm going to pray that Moonsorrow does the entire Havitetty album.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at May 1,2009 10:44am
yeti- no one EVER plays an slbum in it's entirety, i agree that they should, but they wouldn't do it.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at May 1,2009 10:45am
WAY TO SHIT ALL OVER MY PARADE!! i know, considering its 2 30 minute songs. they can play anything and i'll be happy.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at May 1,2009 10:55am
ha. So i was driving through downtown this morning in the IKON van, and almost took out a dude pushing a cart of dry cleaning.... i was about to create a "Shirtstorm"!!!

I know that wasn't funny, but IDK.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at May 1,2009 10:55am
ouchdrummer said[orig][quote]
yeti- no one EVER plays an slbum in it's entirety, i agree that they should, but they wouldn't do it.

incorrect - Green Carnation played all of Light of Day, Day of Darkness in Canada before they broke up, Opeth played all of Damnation on multiple tours. i have other examples too

:-P

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at May 1,2009 10:56am
it was a joke, mostly because UI played all of Eanima with yeti in attendance. but he missed that point.

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at May 1,2009 11:07am
L.A. Guns played their entire Cocked N' Loaded album at the show I went to.

Judas Priest is supposedly playing all of British Steel.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at May 1,2009 11:12am
it was a joke, mostly because UI played all of Eanima with yeti in attendance. but he missed that point.

oh haha a joke... i get jokes

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at May 1,2009 11:23am
you're all jokes...

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at May 1,2009 11:30am
MikeofdecrepitudE said[orig][quote]
If this was a real "pagan fest", they would have excluded Korpiklaani and added someone like Pagan Reign, Heol Telwen or even Arkona.

Agreed. I wish Menhir was playing this in lieu of Korpiklaani.

I will be here tonight.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at May 1,2009 11:54am
boblovesmusic said[orig][quote]
you're all jokes...

PUNCHLINE TO THE FACE

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at May 1,2009 3:36pm
[May 1,2009 10:41am - y_draig_goch ]
korpiklanni is amazing fuck you all hahah

Yah, this.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at May 1,2009 3:55pm
i like korpiklaani and will enjoy their set. i just can't keep up with their album release schedule. it seems like every other week they have a new one out. i'm mostly going for primordial and moonsorrow, but i'm looking forward ot all the bands.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at May 1,2009 3:55pm
do you guys think this will sell out? i was planning on getting tickets at the door.

toggletoggle post by Phrozenspite  at May 1,2009 3:58pm
i'm hitting this show up monday in NYC hope it slays, it hasn't sold out here in NY yet so i don't think it will there

toggletoggle post by Kevord  at May 1,2009 3:58pm
I would bet this wont sell out since At The Gates didn't.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 1,2009 4:17pm
carcass didn't either.

toggletoggle post by darkwornli at May 1,2009 4:26pm

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 1,2009 7:17pm
can someoen link in the mobile picture from my face book to here?

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 1,2009 7:27pm
please?

toggletoggle post by massoftwoslits at May 1,2009 7:34pm

toggletoggle post by massoftwoslits at May 1,2009 7:34pm
What the hull is that anyway?

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 1,2009 7:54pm
swashbuckling pirate prop

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 1,2009 8:27pm
thankyou btw

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 1,2009 8:36pm
swashbuckle: I think it was the sound down there that kept them from being amazing. They were good, but I couldn't really hear the songs well enough next to the speakers. Im sure the obriens show was ridiculous. They gave a sweet shout out to revocation (who are changing their name to krevokation btw)

btw:btw

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 1,2009 9:13pm
blackguard: canucks. This was their first ever US show. They were good sound wise. They got mixed better than swashbucke. Better was their stage performance. They were amazingly high energy. Band members all over the stage and they seemed especially psyched to be up there playing.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at May 1,2009 9:53pm
the_reverend said[orig][quote]
swashbuckle They gave a sweet shout out to revocation (who are changing their name to krevokation btw)

btw:btw

LOL WUT

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 1,2009 10:05pm
the first k is silent, but deadly

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 1,2009 10:27pm
moonsorrow: I was mad that we could see them. That was too bad. They should have had so much fog that they were formless shadows. Up front I thought it sounded terrible. When I went back 50' from the stage it sounded so good. Back towarrds the bar, the vocals were the best, but the music seemed to drop off too much.

toggletoggle post by kevinthesprigg at May 2,2009 2:08am
Primordial fucking killed it. I'd love to see them headline in a much smaller venue...middle east upstairs or something.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 2,2009 2:39am
and apparently the singer wanted to tell us that he loved us...

toggletoggle post by Stabby_McGunnakillya  at May 2,2009 2:40am
Very good show. Primordial blew me away. I'll probably be on a Primordial kick for the next week or so.

toggletoggle post by beleth  at May 2,2009 3:08am
Primordial was the biggest deal. I've been waiting 6 years or so to see Moonsorrow and Primordial made them look so mediocre tonight. The Blood Axis intro had me going before they even started playing.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 2,2009 3:17am
pictures uploading.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at May 2,2009 4:12am
MY FUCKING HEAD AND NECK

AND LIVER

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 2,2009 10:23am
someone in the office said "blablahblah dungeons and dragons" and then I saw you pop up from downstairs during primordial. ahaha.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 2,2009 10:23am
u was summoned

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney at May 2,2009 10:34am
The crowd photos have resulted in many a lulz

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney at May 2,2009 10:38am
Although I nearly pissed my pants laughing at Korpiklaani's bassist who looks like a younger, way more into molesting kids, David the Gnome

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at May 2,2009 11:38am
finally getting to see primordial was the highlight of the night for me. definitely one of the best performances i've ever seen.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at May 2,2009 11:39am
BobNOMAAMRooney said[orig][quote]
Although I nearly pissed my pants laughing at Korpiklaani's bassist who looks like a younger, way more into molesting kids, David the Gnome

xmikex said[orig][quote]

DAVID THE GNOME OR YOU'RE A PUSSY!

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at May 2,2009 11:41am
i thought the bass player from korpiklaani was hilarious. he was a fubsy, smiling old guy. i also got a good laugh at the guitarist with the richie sambora hat and matching vest. he wears that in all their promo photos and hasn't realized he looks like a goobis yet.

toggletoggle post by darkwornli at May 2,2009 11:45am
Moonsorrow sounded AMAZING. I was standing about 20 feet from the stage. Primordial was godly. What a show. I haven't been this excited for a show in a long time and I was blown away. We left after Primordial -- how can you even play after that.

toggletoggle post by Stabby_McGunnakillya  at May 2,2009 12:03pm
Primordial absolutly should have headlined. The weight of their performance was such that it doesn't feel right to have it followed by spritely drinking music.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at May 2,2009 12:11pm
someone in the office said "blablahblah dungeons and dragons" and then I saw you pop up from downstairs during primordial. ahaha.

u was summoned

Wow, that's like a 4th level spell.

My text to darkwordrummer during Blackguard:

It's like Children of Bodom with World of Warcraft.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney at May 2,2009 3:00pm
Every photo from this show is unintentional comedy gold.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 2,2009 3:15pm
BobNOMAAMRooney said[orig][quote]
Every photo from this show is intentional comedy gold.

fixed

toggletoggle post by MikeofDecrepitude at May 2,2009 3:27pm
Very =*(*** that I missed Primordial.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at May 2,2009 3:51pm
the_reverend said:

"BobNOMAAMRooney said:Every photo from this show is intentional comedy gold.

fixed"

In all honesty rev, your pics always look great, and we're all really lucky to have you around.

toggletoggle post by thuringwethil at May 2,2009 4:07pm
i agree

my likeys? Moonsorrow and Korpiklaani.

sorry, I didn't like Primordial so much.

toggletoggle post by darkenedsoul   at May 2,2009 9:40pm
Thought it was a great show overall. Swashbuckle was funny with the pirate outfits...some good thrash moments. Blackguard seemed to be a bit hesitant seeing they were looking for feedback from their first US tour. But ok otherwise. Moonsorrow and Primordial were main reasons going and it was well worth it! Korpiklaani I had heard of but not heard. Was entertaining to say the least. Now to catch Finntroll next time they come through the area as I missed them last year...Still good to see everyone and Dan was getting trashed (SOB Dan...). Haha, and good to see Dave and Jan and Terry as well again.

toggletoggle post by aaron_michael  at May 2,2009 9:46pm
The drummer from Swashbuckle's sister hates us.

toggletoggle post by archaeon at May 2,2009 10:09pm
the_reverend said:

"BobNOMAAMRooney said:Every photo from this show is intentional comedy gold.

fixed"

In all honesty rev, your pics always look great, and we're all really lucky to have you around.

lol no

toggletoggle post by amazing at May 2,2009 11:55pm
was a epic show the korpiklaani pits were fun as shit :P and everyone else was just amazing really enjoyed the circle pit during blackguard one of the best shows i have been to lately

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at May 3,2009 12:47am edited May 3,2009 12:48am
This picture makes me lol!

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at May 3,2009 12:48am

Amen!

toggletoggle post by Reivas at May 3,2009 10:22pm
The guitarist is actually right on top of me in that picture, it was great, but a little wierd because I wanted to headbang/watch him play but didn't want to screw him up...

toggletoggle post by dyingmuse   at May 3,2009 11:20pm
I had a great time at this show! I don't remember much besides the fact that I had way too many shots of Patron and ended up on the third floor of Irish Times on the dance floor ripping up the rug. I don't know how I got home, and I slept through the Opeth show the next night. WOO!!!!!!

toggletoggle post by Samantha at May 4,2009 1:37am edited May 4,2009 1:39am
dyingmuse said[orig][quote]
I had a great time at this show! I don't remember much besides the fact that I had way too many shots of Patron and ended up on the third floor of Irish Times on the dance floor ripping up the rug. I don't know how I got home, and I slept through the Opeth show the next night. WOO!!!!!!

You went to Irish Times after the show? I don't remember seeing you there. LOL! The club upstairs is called "Rehab". So... technically, you were so drunk that you went to Rehab.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at May 4,2009 7:23am
Moonsorrow owned this show. Primordial was a close second, the only problem was the sound. typical Palladium mud. i don't think i've ever seen a more passionate performance than the lead singer of Primordial, i swear during one of the songs he had a few tears in his eyes. it was probably sweat, but it added so much to the song. they were great. if only this wasn't at the Palladium. Blackguard was pretty good, though they need to stop trying to sound like Finntroll.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at May 4,2009 7:26am
i had never seen an image of Moonsorrow before this show, the lead singer looks exactly like what i imagined.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at May 4,2009 7:27am
beleth said[orig][quote]
Primordial was the biggest deal. I've been waiting 6 years or so to see Moonsorrow and Primordial made them look so mediocre tonight. The Blood Axis intro had me going before they even started playing.

i think your sunglasses gave me AIDS.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at May 4,2009 10:12am
I've decided to make a post about my disappointment with this show. This may have been my last palladium show ever, and I'm still up-in-arms over this "paganfest" - there was nothing Pagan about it and the crowd just made me sick.

1.) Swashbuckle
-Did not belong on this show. This is a "PaganFest," not a fucking pirate fest. It was more like Butt Pirates. This band is lame, should not have been on this show, and should not even exist. Musically they're ok for what they are, but stay the fuck out of paganfest. You were a disgrace to this show, and your fucking fans are a bunch of limp-dicked 15 year olds who went to iParty to buy pirate costumes before the show.
2.)Blackguard
-perhaps my biggest complaint of the night. Number one, who the fuck does a circle pit at a "PAGANFEST" show? WHO THE FUCK DOES A WALL OF DEATH? There is nothing pagan about it; go back to Canada you fucking pricks and don't ever play in the states again. You don't bring a fucking circle pit to a paganfest.
-I think the crowd shares some of the blame on this one; fucking idiots who don't even know what real pagan music is about. Get the fuck out of there and go to Lamb of God if you want a fucking circle pit. What a disgrace.
3.) Moonsorrow. Disappointing. I saw them in Minnesota last November and that set was waaaay better than what they played at the show Friday. The crowd was not really into them as much as the other bands, which was understandable given the kind of people that went to this show. Definitely a breath of fresh air after the previous bands. Still, a disappointment compared to when I've previously seen them. By the end of Moonsorrow, I was just anticipating Primordial, whom I've been dying to see in the states for years.
4.) Primordial - performance of the night... but still, DISAPPOINTING. not the band per se, not the song selection, not the short set they played, but the sound. For a guitar and vocal driven band, they had the bass drum way too fucking loud and the bass guitar loud as well. The end result? Mud. Fuzz. This was by far the most "mature" band that played the night, the most promising, and I would like to see them headline their own show at some point. I'm hoping Primordial showed 98% of the fans there what real metal is about. I can't complain enough about how bad the sound was for them.
5.)Korpiklaani. Fuck this band. Interesting, but emotionless. Every song on the past 3 albums sounds remotely the same, and they should not have headlined this show. The kids came out of the shadows and back into the pit for this band. Fucking idiots. The only thing remotely interesting about this band is they are good background noise while drinking. I ended up leaving after a song or two and sat out in the parking lot talking to Beleth the whole time.

This was an absolute disgrace to a paganfest, considering Moonsorrow and Primordial played. They were the best bands. But this show did not give any Pagan vibe at all, let alone a good metal show vibe. The palladium is a disgrace, as is the neo-fans that flock there, and the scumbags in the local scene (not all). This is a sad moment in boston metal, so you guys can go fuck yourselves.

See you on the flip-side,
Aril

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at May 4,2009 10:27am
i understand what you're saying. some people seem to equate folk metal with pagan music. i guess the question would be what makes music pagan? is it the style and sound of the music, or does the band just have to maintain pagan beliefs?

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at May 4,2009 10:28am
some folk metal could be considered pagan metal, but not all pagan metal is folk metal and i think a lot of people have it mixed up.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at May 4,2009 10:33am
Jim, i back you on just about all of that. i can't say Moonsorrow was disappointing, but i would love to see them somewhere else with a much longer set. though i have absolutely stopped giving a shit about any crowd at any show, i just go to shows to see the bands, crowds don't exist.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at May 4,2009 10:35am
The only reason why i complained about the crowds is because collectively they represent the state of metal today. And it saddens me how different the crowds are in other parts of the country and even other counties than they are in New England. I go to shows for myself as well, but I can tell you the palladium disappoints every time. It has a horrible atmosphere now - sound-wise, and crowd-wise.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at May 4,2009 10:38am
i totally agree, i just can't think about it anymore. it would end up ruining every show for me. i used to like the Palladium, they've never had good sound, but it was a cool place. now i hope every tour bypasses and goes to the good venues around here, like Lupo's and House of Blues.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at May 4,2009 10:44am
The term Pagan is widely misunderstood in every aspect of the word.
A more suitable word for this show would have been "Heathen" or something along those lines.
It would be a Paganfest if bands like Menhir or Empyrium played and it was outdoors, while we all cooked meat over open flame. But alas, this will never happen here in New England.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at May 4,2009 10:47am
a show like that could happen here if likeminded people organized it. there'd be no menhir or empyrium, but lesser known and local pagan bands would probably play.

toggletoggle post by MikeofdecrepitudE at May 4,2009 10:48am
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]
It would be a Paganfest if bands like Menhir or Empyrium played and it was outdoors, while we all cooked meat over open flame. But alas, this will never happen here in New England.

Now you've got the right idea. Seeing Empyrium playing in the woods of Germany would be almost ceremonial.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at May 4,2009 10:53am
That would be probably one of the most profound experiences in my life if there was a show like that.
Menhir, if offered, would probably do one show in the states. They definitely can't tour here because they have label problems and have little-to-no fanbase. Which is sad, because they are perhaps one of the best pagan bands out there.

I'm just saddened how most decent shows somehow land in the Palladium, and how the crowd has changed drastically over the years. I can understand the people that don't care about it; but honestly, I think shows are 3 aspects: the music, the stage prescence of the band, and lastly the crowd. A show wouldn't be a show without a crowd. And when the crowd sucks, the atmosphere sucks. When the atmosphere sucks, the show isn't as enjoyable. I listen to the music and just the music, but when I feel a constant negative energy coming from the crowd, it pisses me off.

These bands deserve better. These bands deserve a better venue and New England needs better metal fans.

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at May 4,2009 11:03am

dreadkill said[orig][quote]
a show like that could happen here if likeminded people organized it. there'd be no menhir or empyrium, but lesser known and local pagan bands would probably play.

Let's do it! We could get Vaettir and Cold Northern Vengeance (don't know if they're pagan enough, but they were two bands that came to mine) to play. Hekseri could reunite for this show. Then invite a couple out of New England bands to play. There's a band called Oakhelm out of Portland that plays some pagan-themed metal.

Have this thing outside at some campground (that has power obviously), cook up some meat, and have some other activities!

That would be awesome.

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at May 4,2009 11:06am
Just a thought!

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at May 4,2009 11:15am
dear boblovesmusic:

CNV would probably do it, but you'd have to ask them. They aren't really "pagan" - more alligned with occult stuff, but it would work nonetheless. My band (Herugrim) is Heathen/Pagan themed and we'd love to do it. We also have Hekseri's old drummer, so I'm not sure what the status is with Hekseri.
Oakhelm is great, I saw them live in MN as well and they weren't too shabby.
The last local outdoor fest I went to was the Coos Country Fest in 2005 or 2006 that the dude "troll" put on. It was up in Berlin, NH and was a great time.

toggletoggle post by thuringwethil at May 4,2009 11:40am
yeah Coos County Fest was fun! I was the bug spray MESSIAH!

Hekseri playing this would be great, but it's a logistical matter for a certain time window this summer when Megan and I will be recording new songs in Boston. Feel free to PM me about it, though, and I'll talk w/Megan.

I'd love to see this fest happen at any rate!

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at May 4,2009 11:44am
I'd love to try and set this up (even if it's only just like four or five bands), but I have little to no experience booking or organizing shows. So if someone would give me a hand, that would be awesome!

Mid to late July maybe?
Is that dude "troll" still around so I could talk to him?
Does it matter that I'm not really pagan myself, but the idea of this sounds awesome? hehe

toggletoggle post by darkwor  at May 4,2009 11:54am
I can't help thinking that with the bands on this bill, it attracted (like DYA said) the Children of Bodom/World of Warcraft/"holy crap folk instruments and fun metal" kids. Primordial and Moonsorrow were the only legitimate important bands in my correct opinion, and I can say that standing right down in front, there were a lot of people there specifically to see them and shared my sentiments about them - people went ballistic when Primordial ran out. I didn't care about the rest of the crowd, I knew there would be a lot of -- I dunno, geeks, kids, people just there to drink/see a show/fondle boobs. That is why I totally avoided the bands I had absolutely no care for, and made sure I didn't miss the great ones.

That being said, standing up front, Moonsorrow sounded exceptional to me; the best band I've ever heard at the Palladium (not saying much), I could hear every nuance of all their instruments. It probably has something to do with how sprawling slow and perfectly rhythmic the band actually is. But I could hear every note, the drums sounded so much bigger than they were - perfectly fitting for Moonsorrow. It was great to hear everyone around me sing. Primordial could have sounded better - they used the same drum setup as Moonsorrow and the double bass was too overpowering, I think it has much to do with how much FASTER Primordial plays live - they played some parts almost twice as fast as the recordings, as if they had to fit the songs in. Whereas Moonsorrow breaking away into their black metal runs seemed so much more effective, more devastating.

Of course, this whole "Paganfest" namesake is just to make some money. Primordial showing in their message and ethic more of a "heathen" vibe, and Moonsorrow - I know they sing about runes and northern stories but honestly I haven't taken the time to read beyond the Finnish. I know Korpikklani has a paean to a Finnish god of the drink, so of course they headline something called Paganfest.

I agree Aril and I feel your pain about the crowd - but there's nothing to be done about it except to keep going to good shows and supporting the bands that make a difference. I've only been listening to Primordial for about a year and it's like I was shown what true art is all over again. Moonsorrow and Primordial need to play their own show in a place more suited to them, like, I don't know, a remote outside area. I know that I'll see those bands again in the future so I'm not worried.

toggletoggle post by darkwor  at May 4,2009 11:56am
I will add that Primordial and Moonsorrow looked like they were having a blast on stage and I know this won't be the last time they play a show around here.

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at May 4,2009 12:01pm
Damn, I really like this idea for a mid-summer pagan fest. Just emailed a buddy about getting this one band When Bitter Spring Sleeps to play (though I'd doubt it).

toggletoggle post by darkwor  at May 4,2009 12:06pm
Damn, I really like this idea for a mid-summer pagan fest. Just emailed a buddy about getting this one band When Bitter Spring Sleeps to play (though I'd doubt it).

I have that CD they recorded in the woods - I want to see them live to see what goes on when they play, because the CD just sounded like blastbeat noise without rhythm. I had no idea what was going on. The case smells nice though.

toggletoggle post by blue  at May 4,2009 12:13pm
This thread provides epic lulz with all the whining. Omg I went to the palladium and the krowd sucked, WHAT A SURPRISE.

toggletoggle post by darkwor  at May 4,2009 12:31pm
I expect a thousand hot naked females to crowdsurf upon and fuck between bands.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at May 4,2009 12:40pm
I'm kinda wondering about the pagan/heathen distinction, here. From a strict "English definition" perspective, all either one means is "something other than Christian (or the other two)," so from there I'm not sure what else we're attaching to the words. (I know lots of different groups have latched on to one or the other term as a banner to fly, but it all seems a bit revisionist.) If we were talking about "Germanic heathenism" or something like that, it'd be a different story, but nobody seems to want to get that specific.

toggletoggle post by darkwor  at May 4,2009 12:49pm
I think simply that heathen = not christian or 'of the herd', and pagan = worshiping/holding ceremonies to old god/gods. So I guess that Primordial would fall under Germanic heathenism with their identity and ideals as opposed to Native American heathenism or something.

So pagans are heathens, but heathens aren't necessarily pagans.

Side story - hiking Mt. Monadnock yesterday, there's a Monadnock Bible Conference building (cult) near the base, you could see the building from the summit. We were a ways off-trail and I said "well if we get lost, us wandering heathens can easily find the Bible Conference building." HA.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at May 4,2009 1:20pm
U WRONG

LOL

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at May 4,2009 1:29pm
Blue, you can laugh all you want, but we all know how sad this part of the country is for metal shows / venues/ fans right now. I commend you with the NEDF (any news on the DVD?) which also brings people from outside of NE here.

The fact of the matter is that I will not go to shows at the palladium anymore unless there is a band that hasn't played here or barely plays at all.

I am saddened at the direction this "scene" - for lack of a better word - is heading in.

So I will remain in isolation from shit shows and this board for sometime.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at May 4,2009 1:33pm
Darkwor said it right - Pagans are heathens but not all heathens are pagans. You can be a "heathen" or "heretic" by opposing judeo-christianity and other organized religions, but that doesn't mean you're automatically pagan. In order to be pagan, like all other beliefs, one must practice it or follow it. There are certain bands - majority of them being German - which are 100% Pagan, with every member of the band participating it. From what I remember, that band Menhir had a hard time finding a new drummer because they wanted a drummer that followed and shared their beliefs.
That being said, Wicca is a form of Paganism, so would an all Wiccan metal band be considered Pagan metal? haha

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at May 4,2009 1:47pm
'course, throughout history anyone that wasn't Christian was automatically branded as a pagan or heretic. basically the lack of disctinction between the two are a result of narrowminded misconceptions of the past.

"Wow, this Library at Alexandria is something else. It's huge.. contains all recorded history up to this point, numerous Greek plays and stories, various language translations and explanations on Egyptian culture. What should we do with it?"
"Burn it. it is pagan and has no relevance to Christianity, therefore it is evil."
"Sweet. Burn we will"

Fucking pieces of shit.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at May 4,2009 2:03pm
long thread is looooong.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at May 4,2009 2:09pm
my apologies for making it long and ranting about how disappointed I am in everything.

toggletoggle post by MikeofdecrepitudE at May 4,2009 2:10pm
darkwor said[orig][quote]
Primordial would fall under Germanic heathenism

I believe they lean more towards Druidism than Germanic Neo-Paganism. It would make sense that "To The Nameless Dead" contains a song called As Rome Burns; since the Druids became suppressed by the Roman government in the early common era.

toggletoggle post by blue  at May 4,2009 2:18pm
Aril, not shitting on you at all, just saying if you go to the palladium don't expext anything too positive. Its like going to marks showplace or something.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at May 4,2009 2:19pm
haha, it's rttp. I knew you weren't shitting on me nor was I shitting on you.

In fact, who even knows if my rant was true? It could easily fall under a sarcasm meter, but that feature is no longer included.

toggletoggle post by MikeofdecrepitudE at May 4,2009 2:27pm
'course, throughout history anyone that wasn't Christian was automatically branded as a pagan or heretic. basically the lack of disctinction between the two are a result of narrowminded misconceptions of the past.

"Wow, this Library at Alexandria is something else. It's huge.. contains all recorded history up to this point, numerous Greek plays and stories, various language translations and explanations on Egyptian culture. What should we do with it?"
"Burn it. it is pagan and has no relevance to Christianity, therefore it is evil."
"Sweet. Burn we will"

Fucking pieces of shit.

Rumor has it that it pretty much exists, in some form, underneath the Vatican. Go figure, right? Apparently it contains vast amounts of ancient, esoteric texts.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at May 4,2009 2:42pm
So if that was the case, then these texts are somewhere underground in the Roman Catacombs? Damn, I got lost down there but didn't find any ancient texts. You just made me want to go on an Indiana Jones Quest.

Honestly, if we only knew what was in the Library, history would be completely different. We'd have way more knowledge regarding ancient history and culture.

I think that "supposed" burning of the Alexandrian Library is single-handedly one of the most devastating things Christianity has ever done to mankind (other than destroying European culture, etc.)
Also, the Spanish Conquistadores' destruction of 90% of Mayan history/art/language..

toggletoggle post by MikeofdecrepitudE at May 4,2009 2:55pm
Yeah. Karl and the Holy Roman Empire did a number on Europe and it would never be the same again. I can't believe he was able trick the Chieftains into attending negotiations WITHOUT their weapons. You can imagine how that went.

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at May 4,2009 2:56pm
I'd love to try and set this up (even if it's only just like four or five bands), but I have little to no experience booking or organizing shows. So if someone would give me a hand, that would be awesome!

Mid to late July maybe?
Is that dude "troll" still around so I could talk to him?
Does it matter that I'm not really pagan myself, but the idea of this sounds awesome? hehe

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at May 4,2009 3:02pm
Troll disappeared for quite sometime but just recently posted in the "Old Crowe looking for vocalist" thread. I mentioned something about another Coos County fest but he must have missed it or ignored it.

It shouldn't matter if anyone is pagan or not - it's just the idea of an outdoor fest which has heathen/pagan/black metal bands with meat being cooked and beer being served.. sounds awesome.
In fact, I think a few people could put their minds together and try to come up with this. Problem is? Location. Coos County is way the fuck up in Northern NH.. how many people want to venture up there?

There are a number of secluded areas in central/western MA though. It would require more than one person to set this stuff up.

toggletoggle post by darkwor  at May 4,2009 3:04pm

I think that "supposed" burning of the Alexandrian Library is single-handedly one of the most devastating things Christianity has ever done to mankind (other than destroying European culture, etc.)

I thought that was burned around 50 BC in Caesar's defense of the port when the Egyptians came to take the city back?

Imperialism: destroying cultures longer than Christianity.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at May 4,2009 3:15pm
I'm actually not quite sure the exact time it was burned; but from what I remember in college is my professor mentioned that it is rumored Christian monks were the reason behind its destruction. I honestly haven't read anything about it in years. I'd like to go research it and prove myself wrong, but it's probably not the smartest thing to do at work right now.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at May 4,2009 3:20pm
eh, what the hell.
not the most reliable site but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Al...exandria#Destruction_of_the_Library gives you 4 possible reasons on its destruction. I knew there was mystery behind it.

I though I remembered hearing that the 3rd reason (xstian burning) was the most likely and probably cause and it is something which was denied over time and it eventually turned into a taboo subject.

toggletoggle post by darkwor  at May 4,2009 4:09pm
MikeofdecrepitudE said[orig][quote]
darkwor said[orig][quote]
Primordial would fall under Germanic heathenism

I believe they lean more towards Druidism than Germanic Neo-Paganism. It would make sense that "To The Nameless Dead" contains a song called As Rome Burns; since the Druids became suppressed by the Roman government in the early common era.

Right, I guess I meant Germanic heathenism as the struggle identified with non-Christian northern Europeans the past couple thousand years, specifically Irish ones. Either way I didn't mean rune-worshiping Germanic Neo-Pagans.

I went NUTS when they played As Rome Burns at the show - "We are Nero and Rome Is BURNING"

toggletoggle post by thuringwethil at May 4,2009 4:14pm
I sometimes wonder what would've happened if The Roman Emperor Constantine hadn't adopted / sanctioned Christianity in 313.

toggletoggle post by Dave_Maggot   at May 4,2009 4:27pm

toggletoggle post by some random metal fan at May 4,2009 7:51pm
RTTP : Historical Discussions

toggletoggle post by DJ DEATH at May 4,2009 11:14pm
After reading all of Jims responses to the "paganfest", though, i wasnt there, its a sad fate of the scene.... its being dictated by childish, soon to be one of americas countless drones. Jim, we should totally put together a show with CNV and Herugrim. Im all for helping to have bonfires, beer, and meat cooking for a metal show. Be it CNV is occult, we endorse ancient atmospheres, which is delving deep in the past. Its important. we should make it happen this summer!

-Gemini matt

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic@thecoolidge at May 4,2009 11:39pm
I really want to make this happen as well! It would be an awesome time.

toggletoggle post by douchebag_patrol at May 5,2009 1:03am

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney at May 5,2009 1:08am
Hold this theoretical fest on an island and close out the festivities with a Viking funeral or Wickerman burning. Anything resulting in a huge fire in an isolated location works best.

toggletoggle post by BSV at May 5,2009 12:01pm
I went to this show cuz my buddy is the tour manager and had to drop off some goodies and rejoice...
I dunno guys. Kinda surprised everyone is getting all pissy about this right now. If you saw Sodom in Poughkeepsie a few years back, you were probably like me, ripshit after nearly half the joint emptied out after Finntroll played BEFORE Sodom even went on the stage.
I just don't get why all these kids who hate on Burzum all of a sudden are so devoted to "folk" and tribesman antics....you're missing the point.
I was also disappointed to learn that the singer of Korpiklaani is the ONLY Hunter and Fisherman in that band. At least they saved face by being hockey fans! Somebody critque Finland to work on small talk, yikes!!

I can't deny though that was actually one of the most postive shows I've ever been too. Don't know if that's good or bad. All I know is I need the Primordial discography asap.

toggletoggle post by darkwor  at May 5,2009 12:44pm
^^This man speaks truth

toggletoggle post by Yeti at May 5,2009 12:53pm
random hockey fan factoid: Viggo Mortensen wore a Montreal Canadiens jersey underneath his costume for the entire filming of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at May 5,2009 12:57pm
Really? Aside from Primordial and somewhat Moonsorrow, this show made me lose all hope in humanity, amoung other things.
I still hang my head in sorrow.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at May 5,2009 12:58pm
good, now i hate viggo mortensen.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:sign on net, sign off brain
[default homepage] [print][3:25:16pm Mar 28,2024
load time 0.59854 secs/25 queries]
[search][refresh page]