New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> New Satyricon-The Age of Nero by rotivore on Feb 27,2009 5:27pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by rotivore at Feb 27,2009 5:27pm
Anyone hear this album? Your thoughts? I really like it. Definetely not a technical black metal album like some of the earlier work, just midpaced black metal with some killer hooks.

toggletoggle post by alexc  at Feb 27,2009 5:29pm
i bought the last album, now diabolical and it was total crap. pop music basically. reading in the booklet that there were credits for the bands hair, clothing and make up really pissed me off too. i dont think i have it in me to listen to anything further by them.

toggletoggle post by alexc  at Feb 27,2009 5:29pm
sorry, im just bitter.

toggletoggle post by rotivore at Feb 27,2009 5:52pm
I can understand if people dont like this album especially if you put it along side nemisis devina. No comparison really. I still think they have some catchy songwritting even if its simple

toggletoggle post by moenli at Feb 27,2009 6:26pm
*Negro

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Feb 27,2009 6:31pm
the song i heard from this was really boring

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Feb 27,2009 6:46pm
You know, I really want to hate what Satyricon has become, but I still can't help but bob my bead when most of it's on. I HATED Volcano as an album - there were one or two good songs on there but the single and most of the rest were garbage - but Age of Nero is really growing on me. It's just fist-pumping arena rock, but sort of in a good way. Lots of Bathory and Venom listening in a bedroom in Norway'll do that to ya, I guess. (Would still welcome Nemesis part II, though.)

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Feb 28,2009 2:20am
Not a huge fan of anything post Rebel. Even Rebel was hit or miss.
Once Satyr became way too inspired (almost imitating) Snorre of Thorns, his composition began to dwindle. The stuff today is head-bopping "black n roll" - but it does not showcase their musicianship by any standard. I don't care what anyone says, Frost and Satyr could be making much better albums. It sounds like they've literally switched instruments.
You can't compare old & new, but what you can compare is the musicianship. It's so fucking sub-par today. He sold out and wanted to appear to a wide audience in America. Epic fail.

toggletoggle post by MikeOvDecrepitvde at Feb 28,2009 11:11am
Satyricon was never that specatular, I thought. Dark Medieval Times and The Shadowthrone are ok, with the latter being their "best". The Mother North video is in dire need of a MST3K commentary.

toggletoggle post by MikeOvDecrepitvde at Feb 28,2009 11:12am
spectacular, rather

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Oct 19,2009 11:08am
This album rocks and that's all I have to say.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 19,2009 11:10am
I wiped my ass with the booklet to this album.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Oct 19,2009 11:14am
PICS OR GTFO

And paying close attention to the drums on this album Frost definitely used his talents.

But I like the new Immortal too so my opinion is shite!

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 19,2009 11:19am
Nah, your opinion is legit. Everyone's is.
I just read what I said in Feb, which I still agree with. I have not listened to this whole album, but only because I couldn't. I'm not too happy with the direction this band went in. I used to love this band years ago; I just think the music is lacking atmosphere now, especially for a band that captured that kind of essence in their music earlier on in their career. I understand bands move on and evolve, but I think Satyrican sort of devolved and dumbed down their music for wider appeal.
I guess black n' roll head bopping shite ain't for me.
GRAVEYARD SLUTTTT

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Oct 19,2009 11:29am
Well wider appeal or not they obviously aren't hiding the black n' roll sound, you like it or you don't. I really like their old material and I haven't really sat down and listened to anything after Nemesis Divinia on purpose, based on what I've heard because I knew I wouldn't care for it. Except for this album of course...I was listening to this and Darkthrone all weekend, guess I like black&roll.

Frost is 1000% solid on this album and every stroke is perfect. He exhibits some blazing speed in some parts but never relies heavily on blastbeats.

Maybe this along with the new Immortal would have appealed to more black metal purists (I use that term without any snobbery intended) if the production was intentionally shitty?

I really dig Mayhem's Ordo Ad Chao btw - the shit production gives it evil overtones which they couldn't do with crystal-clear high frequencies and fat bass.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 19,2009 11:42am
Don't get me wrong - I love all types of production in music from old school cassette demo-quality to newer state of the art studio production.
I just don't think some (metal) bands sound good with over-the-top production, Immortal being one of them.
I think too many bands are over-producing their sound to where it sounds fake or cheesy. The great thing about metal is it can sound good as a DIY gritty basement recording or a well produced and mastered album.
If the newer Immortal had shittier production, I would listen to it more often. Some of the riffs I heard on it were killer, but the production drew me away a little bit. Take Krisiun for example; Black Force Domain had a gritty production and an evil feel to it, whereas the newer one is so over-produced it makes me sick. I guess it all depends on the band's sound, at least IMO.
Satyr's composition level has decreased. What I can give him is he is achieving exactly what he wants to do, and pulls it off smoothly. That's respectable in its own regard.
I'd rather throw in Nemesis than the new stuff, though. I think they should have hung it up after Volcano. If you listen to Thorn's s/t album you can hear where a lot of the modern Satyricon riffs are inspired from.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Oct 19,2009 11:48am
Listen to old Samael.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Oct 19,2009 11:52am
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]
Take Krisiun for example; Black Force Domain had a gritty production and an evil feel to it, whereas the newer one is so over-produced it makes me sick. I guess it all depends on the band's sound

Right, Southern Storm had some great songs and execution but the production was just too damn compressed and clean and I stopped listening to it after a while.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 19,2009 11:55am
Tell you what. I'll give New Immortal another shot, as well as this Satyricon album. I'll see if I can get into them

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Oct 19,2009 11:59am
Turn em up loud dude. On All Shall Fall the last song is kind of weak, and the buildup during the first song when it sounds like Abbath is trying to sing got a chuckle out of me, you'll know the part.

arilliusbm said[orig][quote]

I just don't think some (metal) bands sound good with over-the-top production, Immortal being one of them. I think too many bands are over-producing their sound to where it sounds fake or cheesy. The great thing about metal is it can sound good as a DIY gritty basement recording or a well produced and mastered album.

This is backed

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Oct 19,2009 11:59am
You know you'd rather be listening to Varathron, you filthy black wizard.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Oct 19,2009 12:43pm
arktouros said[orig][quote]
Well wider appeal or not they obviously aren't hiding the black n' roll sound, you like it or you don't. I really like their old material and I haven't really sat down and listened to anything after Nemesis Divinia on purpose, based on what I've heard because I knew I wouldn't care for it. Except for this album of course...I was listening to this and Darkthrone all weekend, guess I like black&roll.

Frost is 1000% solid on this album and every stroke is perfect. He exhibits some blazing speed in some parts but never relies heavily on blastbeats.

Maybe this along with the new Immortal would have appealed to more black metal purists (I use that term without any snobbery intended) if the production was intentionally shitty?

I really dig Mayhem's Ordo Ad Chao btw - the shit production gives it evil overtones which they couldn't do with crystal-clear high frequencies and fat bass.

i will fully back Rebel Extravaganza, but anything after is just painfully bad to me.

intentionally shitty production bugs me sometimes, i love raw and gritty production, but the way they did it back in the day had so much more belief behind it. now its done to be kvlt instead of being done because that's what they had available, or preferred. yet at the same time, some of the classics had pretty good production. look at De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, that has clear production and is one of the most powerful in the genre.

and no matter how many times i listen to it, i think Ordo Ad Chao is crap. the drums sound awful, and the riff work is weak.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:spell something wrong or you=narc
[default homepage] [print][9:37:40pm Apr 19,2024
load time 0.01911 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]