New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> funeral mist "maranatha" by goatcatalyst on Feb 21,2009 3:53am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Feb 21,2009 3:53am

toggletoggle post by dftg at Feb 21,2009 4:52am
well, they win most hideous album cover ever.

toggletoggle post by douchebag_patrol at Feb 21,2009 5:13am edited Feb 21,2009 5:13am
Is that a mangina?

toggletoggle post by Arghs at Feb 21,2009 8:26am
Have you ever in your fucking life actually BOUGHT a fucking release?

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Feb 21,2009 8:36am
Not now, not NEVA!!!

toggletoggle post by Arghs at Feb 21,2009 8:37am
Figured as much. Nu-Metal to the core.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Feb 21,2009 8:39am
why thank you sir. How are ya?

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Feb 21,2009 9:22am
Arghs said[orig][quote]
Nu-Metal to the core.

Nu-black at least.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Feb 21,2009 9:27am
Good call, chief.

toggletoggle post by quintessence  at Feb 21,2009 11:02am
LOL...nu metal fo sho! Thank you for the link sir.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Feb 21,2009 11:05am
this will be played while I kill siths in cyberworld.

toggletoggle post by quintessence  at Feb 21,2009 11:10am
First song just kicked me in the face...

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Feb 21,2009 11:11am
Thumbs down. Typical idiot metal.

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Feb 21,2009 12:34pm edited Feb 21,2009 12:41pm

Metal since 1998 has produced a whole lot of favorites that seem to be forgotten six months later. Funeral Mist Maranatha is going to be the latest, although for the next 96 hours people will tell me I'm wrong, stupid, primitive and dumb for thinking that.

Funeral Mist - Maranatha review

Summary: it's a trendy, kvlty, underground turd that will bore any experienced or intelligent metalhead.

toggletoggle post by c.DeAd at Feb 21,2009 1:07pm
I like Funeral Mist and though "Salvation" was great, but it did bore the living shit out of me and every song sounds the same. If it only had 5 songs on it the like the EP did it would keep my attention all the way through. I never listened to "Salvation" beginning to end once.

toggletoggle post by blue  at Feb 21,2009 1:17pm
only thing i recall liking about this band is that the drummer is damn intense.

toggletoggle post by c.DeAd at Feb 21,2009 1:25pm
blue said[orig][quote]
only thing i recall liking about this band is that the drummer is damn intense.

Yeah, he is the guy who runs Necromorbus studio which produces bands like Watain, Funeral Mist obviously, Deathspell Omega, etc
His drumming is totally intense.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Feb 21,2009 2:07pm
I too prefer the "Devilry" EP over "Salvation". But Maranatha is pretty awesome... Looking forward to spending more quality time with it. Feral and damaged sounding. Parts of the second track are just fucking CRUSHING.

And thank you, Conservationist... whether you are into something or you thoroughly rebuke it- I enjoy your reviews.

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Feb 21,2009 4:58pm
<3

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Feb 22,2009 3:19pm
Many people have high hopes for this release because they believe that if they support all metal, metal will be strong. I'm from the opposite camp, which says you should call a spade a spade, and by weeding out the bad metal, you'll make metal stronger.

This CD is like a Roman prostitute: she puts on all the makeup she can, uses every trick in the book, and knows how to act sexy, but at the end of the day she's a fattish peasant girl with syphilis and you should avoid her. "Maranatha" fails in two crucial ways: (a) artistically, it has nothing to communicate; (b) stylistically, it's an attempt to integrate the last 30 years of rock and metal into black metal -- a sort of "black nu-metal."

Since it's easier to communicate, we'll start with the style. A Summoning-style melodic black metal riff rises, repeats, and then we launch into an updated version of later Gorefest -- really rigid, percussion-heavy death metal riffs -- before diving into the main riff, a hybrid of Ministry and Pantera that rides a bouncy rhythm with a muted strum. This pattern repeats in every song, with frequent interruptions for "important" pauses and vocal interludes; the different pieces vary, but they are thrown together at random, and this is one reason why these songs resemble later Dimmu Borgir: they're carnival music that tries to distract you by being outlandish so you don't notice there's no agenda, nothing poetic or even nifty to communicate.

That brings us to artistic substance. While old black metal seemed to dominate with new technique, that was quite wrong -- all of its technique predated it. What it did was create a language for a certain type of feeling, and the psychological and philosophical revelations required to be ready for that feeling appearing within oneself. As a result, there was something to communicate: the importance of fantasy, the poignant joy of winter which is both life and death, the lust for struggle, and the loneliness of facing mortality alone. There was poetry in that: it converted the mix of good and bad that life is into the beautiful by maintaining focus on its mechanical utility in maintaining the cyclic process of life itself.

What does Funeral Mist have along these lines? Nothing. These are songs for their own sake, meaning that they communicate nothing except membership in a style and the desire to be a variation of that style. They are songs about being black metal songs, in a band that's essentially writing black metal "from the outside looking in," meaning that they understand the technique and aesthetic but not the substance and poetry of classic black metal.

As a result, this CD is two things: distracting noise, and hollow art. It is as fake as a Hallmark card, as contrived as Britney Spears, as hokey as Pink Lady. It is distracting like Cradle of Filth -- the originator of the "carnival black nu-metal" style -- and as motivated by an ethic of convenience as a Roman whore. People will pretend to like it because it's later Dimmu Borgir dressed up in true kvlty clothing, but at its core, this album is devoid of meaning or particular musical recommendation.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=225598

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Feb 22,2009 5:19pm
Hah, Metal-Archives just deleted the review.

toggletoggle post by Godlike at Feb 23,2009 6:25am
This is the first time i have ever bothered to comment anything on "shitnet and fagnet"but in this case well...

First of all Maranatha i plain and simple not simply "music" but "worship"
It is a religous mans work and by even start to refer it by other pathethic and hollow shit bands who play "metal" is pathetic. If you dont understand this then you will NOT understand this record. If you WANT to understand you will start to like the record.

If you are like Conservationist then you will continue to be as worthless as you were before listening to the record

I must say that Conservationist review is probably the worst shit i have ever come across and of course metal archives deleted it simply because they realized that the one who wrote it is so worthless he should no be allowed to have a keybord less express his empty views because its really that bad. And did i say its shit?

"the importance of fantasy, the poignant joy of winter which is both life and death, the lust for struggle, and the loneliness of facing mortality alone"

Everything that you wrote there is EXACTLY what music in general should not be about. Hollow scenarios without meaning or substance.

There are a few few band today that ACTUALLY mean what they sing and BELIVE in what they do. Funeral mist is one of them and MAKE their music according to that. Period

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Feb 23,2009 7:45am
i like these guys more than Deathspell Omega, "Salvation" is such a filthy album.

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Feb 23,2009 11:15am
Godlike said[orig][quote]
There are a few few band today that ACTUALLY mean what they sing and BELIVE in what they do. Funeral mist is one of them and MAKE their music according to that. Period

WESLEY WILLIS also sings and BELIVEs in what he does. I am going to throw out all my death metal and classical, and listen to WESLEY WILLIS, because he's more TRVE.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:typos add character
[default homepage] [print][5:52:16pm Mar 28,2024
load time 0.02224 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]