New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> GONZOFILES RIP HST by whiskey_weed_and_women on Feb 20,2009 5:36pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by whiskey_weed_and_women  at Feb 20,2009 5:36pm
oday marks the four-year anniversary of Hunter S. Thompson’s death. One of the most iconic figures from the last 50 years, Hunter S. Thompson is closely tied to Flying Dog Brewery. Of course, he convinced his friend and Gonzo co-conspirator Ralph Steadman to illustrate our labels. But he also gave us a quote that graces most every label of beer that we produce: Good people drink good beer.

Not a day goes by that we don’t think about Hunter and the indelible mark he left on society. And although it bums us out that he isn’t with us today, Hunter S. Thompson’s spirit lives on in the form of his writings and films. This week, during Conan O’Brien’s last shows in the “Late Night” time slot, Conan has been revisiting clips from the last fifteen years. Tuesday’s show featured a segment shot on location in Upstate New York with Hunter and Conan. Watch them drink whiskey and shoot guns, in typical Dr. Gonzo style:

http://www.nbc.com/Late_Night_with_Conan_O...ps/hunter-s-thompson-21709/1022801/

As is the Flying Dog tradition on this day, we’ve asked those who knew him to write a little something about Dr. Gonzo. Flying Dog Brewery founder George Stranahan and Gonzo Artist Ralph Steadman sent in some stories about Hunter.

We encourage you to toast Hunter S. Thompson tonight with a glass of the beer that was inspired by him, Gonzo Imperial Porter. We certainly will be.

http://www.flyingdogblog.com/2008/02/21/ralph-steadman-remembers-hunter/

http://www.flyingdogales.com/beer-specialty-gonzo.asp

George Stranahan Remembers Hunter

It’s the beginning of my fifth year without Hunter, and I’m feeling like a five year old trying to understand the mysteries and predicaments of the human condition.

The peacock’s shriek was unmistakable. It came at first light and it was close, right over my head, on the roof. To call Hunter at first light was an adventure that had to be taken. He was awake and “still up,” drunk and crazed. “Goddamn birds got outta their cage last night.” He assigned some specific blame here, he himself was blameless. “Two of ‘em were found in Little Woody eaten by coyotes. That’s the last one you’ve got there, I’ll be right up.”

And he was. Shorts, sneakers, Tilly hat and with badminton net in hand. My house is two stories, so the peacock was twenty feet up and so was Hunter, hunched over, tiptoeing along the very edge and coaxing, “you wretched c… sucking bitch sit still for one more second…” I was terrified at his unsteadiness and wondered who do I call for a fallen and almost certainly dead Hunter found at first light on my porch?

With a lurch and a stagger Hunter tossed the badminton net right over the bird, clutched it to his breast and collapsed away from danger. I was learning that he had an extraordinary sense of his own capacities either drunk or sober.

Ralph Steadman Remembers Hunter

Hunter began to speak of images that disturbed his peace of mind. ‘Ralph, I have this horrible image of me strapped inside a wheelchair- and I’m in an Old People’s Home. I look around the room and old people are looking straight at me from their own wheelchairs, lined up against the wall as though they are waiting their turn to go- or maybe to flee! I scan the room dolefully- then- out of the corner of my eye I catch a glimpse of a wizened ole crone. She has an evil leer across her wrinkled face and she is crawling across the floor-slowly- towards me. She is cackling to herself and I know, Ralph, what she is going to do- and I am helpless! Yes, Ralph! She is going to fondle my balls!!’

He told me that story just like that as an example of why he was suffering ‘the Death of FUN’. Unimaginable torture!!

What I do every year is take a large sheet of paper, a bottle of ink and a brush, look up at the moon - even if there isn’t one - then I whack it with the biggest blot I can make, date it and time- and then I sign it and toast his memory in a bottle of beer. I find it the most satisfying thing to do and it frees the frustration and sense of loss.

toggletoggle post by Beorht-Dana  at Feb 20,2009 5:41pm
For anyone who hasn't seen it, I highly recommend seeing the "Gonzo" documentary that came out a year or two ago. It provides some entertaining insight into Thompson's life.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Feb 20,2009 6:25pm
Hunter S Thompson was great

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Feb 20,2009 6:41pm
i loved gonzo... think i made a thread about it. I met someone the other day who had the 2thumbed fist clutching the peyote button tattooed on his wrist. He was in a suit, holding the rail on the train, and i saw the top poking out... cool dude.

RIP H.S.T.

toggletoggle post by W3 nli at Feb 21,2009 3:13am
yeah dood seriously rules and is awesome cause he did it his way

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Feb 21,2009 8:47am
I mean, ran for mayor of Aspen?! Almost won?! Man was a role model.

toggletoggle post by W3 nli at Feb 21,2009 12:07pm
ouchdrummer said[orig][quote]
I mean, ran for mayor of Aspen?! Almost won?! Man was a role model.

wasn't it sheriff?

toggletoggle post by Beorht-Dana  at Feb 22,2009 12:03pm
It was indeed sheriff

toggletoggle post by jimboNLI at Feb 22,2009 1:02pm
ya know i didn't remember which it was and searched for Hunter S. Thompson + Aspen, and got this vid.. so i was confused. damn weeds.

oh... well i can't embed in text only.... so here's the addy.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...on=vids.individual&videoid=37368888
Title says Mayor.... Sooo highhhhhh....

toggletoggle post by W3 nli at Feb 22,2009 1:19pm
Jimbo Bub, you need to settle down the interwebz are your friend.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Feb 23,2009 8:03am
Flying Dog is awesome.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Feb 23,2009 8:17am
flying dog is awesome. Great beer.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Feb 23,2009 9:17am
FEAR AND LOATHING SUCKED DICK

toggletoggle post by W3 @ work at Feb 23,2009 9:19am
which one he wrote two Fear and Loathing books

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:slacker tracker is watching
[default homepage] [print][5:58:42am Mar 29,2024
load time 0.01079 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]