New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> ENSLAVED in Boston...May 2nd 2009 with Opeth. by Hoser on Feb 7,2009 9:48am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Hoser at Feb 7,2009 9:48am
Opeth should be opening for them IMO.

toggletoggle post by Hoser at Feb 7,2009 9:48am
House of Blues, BTW.

toggletoggle post by repost FBI agent at Feb 7,2009 10:48am
I can't think of any bigger repost.

Step out of the car and put your hands behind your back.
You're getting arrested by the repost police.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Feb 7,2009 12:40pm
HEY DID YOU GUYS HEAR THAT OPETH AND ENSLAVED ARE PLAYING BOSTON ON MAY 2ND???

toggletoggle post by reimroc at Feb 7,2009 12:53pm
no i didnt FIMS can you run that one by me again?

toggletoggle post by Hoser at Feb 7,2009 7:34pm
Sorry niggers.

toggletoggle post by aegathis  at Apr 26,2009 10:08pm
any clue yet, whether or not there will be other bands playing this??? I gotta work till nine, really dont wanna miss enslaved again

toggletoggle post by breakdirt at Apr 27,2009 12:44am
I'll be there!

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Apr 27,2009 8:30am
Listening to Opeth is like blowing a Macintosh while an anime character pumps your ass with a day-glo dong.

toggletoggle post by MikeofdecrepitudE at Apr 27,2009 8:31am
You say that like it's a bad thing.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Apr 27,2009 10:32am
Conservationist said[orig][quote]
Listening to Opeth is like blowing a Macintosh while an anime character pumps your ass with a day-glo dong.

funny you should say that, i'm listening to Opeth right now and i feel exactly that.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Apr 27,2009 11:12am
this weekend! oh man i cant wait

toggletoggle post by deathchick   at Apr 27,2009 11:15am
Can I still get tickets for this or is it sold out?

toggletoggle post by deathchick   at Apr 27,2009 12:33pm
ok, just got tickets online.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Apr 27,2009 12:51pm
i am so psyched to see Enslaved. i hope Opeth changes up the song list from the last time they played, i hate seeing a band and hearing the same set list as the time before.

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at Apr 27,2009 1:24pm
I haven't seen Opeth in like three or four years. I think I might need to brush up on my 'peth.

toggletoggle post by aegathis  at Apr 28,2009 4:08pm
aegathis said[orig][quote]
any clue yet, whether or not there will be other bands playing this??? I gotta work till nine, really dont wanna miss enslaved again

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at May 1,2009 6:19pm
i have an extra ticket if anyone needs one. Just let me know

toggletoggle post by Dar  at May 1,2009 6:28pm
I need to buy a ticket dude
Can give you cash for yours outside if you want

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at May 1,2009 9:31pm
Dar said[orig][quote]

i'm waiting on someone but she hasnt confirmed yet... i'll let ya know tomorrow for sure.

toggletoggle post by AUTOPSY_666   at May 2,2009 12:09pm

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at May 2,2009 1:07pm
Dar said[orig][quote]

you still need that ticket man?

toggletoggle post by MikeofDecrepitude at May 2,2009 3:07pm
Hoping for at least one track from Orchid. Haven't seen Opeth play anything from that album in years.

toggletoggle post by Dar  at May 2,2009 3:32pm
Yeah dude I still need a ticket

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at May 2,2009 4:30pm
shit man it got claimed... sorry brah

toggletoggle post by Dar  at May 2,2009 4:56pm
np man I'll grab one at the door, just wanted to help you out. better to bring a girly, I'm pretty but that's about it

toggletoggle post by Dar  at May 3,2009 12:17am
two words to describe this pit: nerd rage

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at May 3,2009 12:27am
Holy shit... this was amazing!

toggletoggle post by Martins   at May 3,2009 12:56am
Lots of douchebags there haha. I recognized some of you guys but I was with some faggot so I didn't want to scare him. It was a good show. Did the tom's sound terrible during Enslaved's set to anyone else but me?

toggletoggle post by MikeofDecrepitude at May 3,2009 1:26am
That was absolutely the most underwhelming Opeth set I've seen. It started off strong with Godhead's Lament, Credence, and The Leper Affinity, but after that, it was all downhill. I found tetris on my cell phone far more engaging. I don't get how they can have an arsenal of great songs in their back catalogue, and they continue to play the same songs over and over and over again.

toggletoggle post by MikeofDecrepitude at May 3,2009 1:31am
Oh, and the crowd was deplorable. I miss the very first few Opeth shows when it wasn't a bunch of 17 year old, former nu metal douche-cunts, but rather a bunch of elite metal snobs standing around with their arms folded. Some 16 year old fag was behind me and commented that he didn't know what song they were playing, nor what album it was off of. The song was Credence; only off one of their best albums ever. Fuck this.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at May 3,2009 1:40am edited May 3,2009 1:40am
i unfortunately have to agree with several points from MikeD on this one. i also still dont like Axerson, no matter how much fast lead work he can pull off... i noticed numerous fuckups from him and his guitar tone his shit. i will say Axenrot however continues to impress. the double kick sounded tremendous tonight.

toggletoggle post by MikeofDecrepitude at May 3,2009 1:47am
Another point worth making: Who does Akerfeldt think he is? George Carlin? The guy wastes more fucking time cracking retarded jokes and talking out of his ass, when he could be playing songs that people actually want to hear.

toggletoggle post by Dar  at May 3,2009 2:19am
I like Mike's stage banter, it's one of the few reminders that you're watching a band perform and not just listening to one of their albums. And what do you care whether some 16 year old knows their song titles or not? When I saw Opeth when I was 16 I wasn't intimately familiar with their entire catalogue. Your attitude fucking sucks. Today's 17 year old former nu metal douche-cunt is tomorrow's elite metal snob, the difference is that they are enjoying the show they paid for and you are being a whiny bitch

toggletoggle post by MikeofDecrepitude at May 3,2009 5:26am edited May 3,2009 5:29am
Dar said[orig][quote]
I like Mike's stage banter, it's one of the few reminders that you're watching a band perform and not just listening to one of their albums. And what do you care whether some 16 year old knows their song titles or not? When I saw Opeth when I was 16 I wasn't intimately familiar with their entire catalogue. Your attitude fucking sucks. Today's 17 year old former nu metal douche-cunt is tomorrow's elite metal snob, the difference is that they are enjoying the show they paid for and you are being a whiny bitch

Because I was that 16 year old once and I didn't show up to their shows not knowing the bands true artistic works; the albums that made them great. What's their excuse for being ignorant? Metal and music in general are a big part of my life, and I take it seriously. Obviously they do not. That show was permeated with morons that have no appreciation for true art in music. You're at an Opeth show and you don't even know My Arms, Your Hearse? HAH. Feel free to sling your insults at me and wipe the asses of the Hot Topic culture, you're just as pathetic as they are. Those same kids were moshing to a Damnation song, sorry, that's just fucking stupid and I guess I'm not open minded enough to think that's ok to act like some knuckle dragger. So you can fuck right off with your opinion that means as much to me as the kids who got a ride from their parents to the show and 60 dollars spending cash to purchase an Opeth hoodie, to project the illusion that they are, indeed, true Opeth and metal fans.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at May 3,2009 8:56am
Well I didn't know it was Credence either but that's because MYAH is the album I've listened to the least. Never could get into it. But yeah there were a lot of songs that they shouldn't have played. I was happy Deliverance got played though!

toggletoggle post by christopher at May 3,2009 11:39am
MikeofDecrepitude said[orig][quote]

Because I was that 16 year old once and I didn't show up to their shows not knowing the bands true artistic works; the albums that made them great. What's their excuse for being ignorant?

There definitely was a generation gap of Opeth fans, but this is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Did you miss those elitist butt fuck shows because you were one of those elitists? When did Opeth become such serious business?

toggletoggle post by AUTOPSY_666   at May 3,2009 12:10pm
<-- fan since 1995

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at May 3,2009 12:31pm
I believe I have mentioned my sweet, pure loathing for Opeth fans. Sounds like a shitty set. Saw em plenty of times when they were relevant to my interests and it seems they're not getting any better. That "Chronology" show was the the dusk of a beautiful age. Glad I sat this one out.

toggletoggle post by Dar  at May 3,2009 12:58pm
[QUOTE="MikeofDecrepitude:921700"Because I was that 16 year old once and I didn't show up to their shows not knowing the bands true artistic works; the albums that made them great. What's their excuse for being ignorant? Metal and music in general are a big part of my life, and I take it seriously. Obviously they do not. That show was permeated with morons that have no appreciation for true art in music. You're at an Opeth show and you don't even know My Arms, Your Hearse? HAH. Feel free to sling your insults at me and wipe the asses of the Hot Topic culture, you're just as pathetic as they are. Those same kids were moshing to a Damnation song, sorry, that's just fucking stupid and I guess I'm not open minded enough to think that's ok to act like some knuckle dragger. So you can fuck right off with your opinion that means as much to me as the kids who got a ride from their parents to the show and 60 dollars spending cash to purchase an Opeth hoodie, to project the illusion that they are, indeed, true Opeth and metal fans.

Well you are certainly entitled to this ridiculous worldview, but I feel a little sorry for you. Aside from the insults, the most important point I was trying to make is that all of these morons with no appreciation for true art seemed to be enjoying themselves, while you were playing tetris. So who is pathetic?
I agree that moshing to a Damnation song is stupid, people are fucking stupid, but the idea that you let this get under your skin seems to me like it makes you even dumber. Goatcatalyst, I need a drink...

toggletoggle post by Burnsy at May 3,2009 1:18pm
At least Enslaved was fuckin' awesome. I think some kid broke his nose on the back of my head during As Fire Swept Clean the Earth. I was pumped that Opeth closed with Deliverance.

toggletoggle post by My_Dying_Bride at May 3,2009 6:03pm
Burnsy said[orig][quote]
At least Enslaved was fuckin' awesome. I think some kid broke his nose on the back of my head during As Fire Swept Clean the Earth. I was pumped that Opeth closed with Deliverance.

were you on the right about 5-10 ft from the front? my buddy got a bloody nose at some point during the show...i was the huge samsquanch fucker with long hair throwing faggots on the ground in the pit every few songs....
great show

toggletoggle post by yggvidrir at May 4,2009 12:20am
Drove 5 hours from Upstate NY for this one. Usually go to Worcester, but it worked out for Boston this time. The only other time for Boston was last year at the Church for the Ocean. From what I read in these posts, I gather that this crowd is not indicative of Boston. That's good news! Such douchebaggery I have not seen since Metallica became "cool" and all of the mosh pit became a big shoving match for the meatheads, well, unitl it became a Karate show for the HC kids. Moshing during the Deliverance stuff? Shite. It was disappointing that Enslaved only got a 40 minute set. It was even more disappointing to have a good view of the stage only to be ruined by the idiot behind me that could not contain his big boy crush on Ice Dale. Perhaps you heard his Ice Dale chant? Say what you want about Opeth. I think they're a class act, and they only get better live, in my opinion. In fact, this was probably the best performance I've ever seen, and I was pleased to finally hear Ghost of Perdition live. It was also refreshing not to hear the stock Demon of the Fall encore and so forth. I was afraid that I was going to hear the same set from the Buffalo show, the kick-off of the first time around. Bostonians, I enjoyed your city very much. I think that your train system is brilliant. I look forward to the next time around, but can only hope that there is a decent crowd, one worthy of your great city.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at May 4,2009 7:42am
you people are fucking nuts, Opeth kicked ass. the sound and set list were fucking awesome. funny how if one doesn't hear the exact songs they wanted then it was a "mediocre" or "underwhelming" show. stay home and listen to the albums. and if you spent 30 bucks to sit and watch the crowd and raise your blood pressure because of the amount of kids there then you need to re-evaluate your own stance in music. who the fuck cares about who the people in the audience were, or what they were doing. yes, i understand it is annoying that "music" fans are just about image now, but its been that way for over a decade, its nothing new or surprising. consider when you were a newbie to metal, back then all the veterans were calling you a faggot. Enslaved tore it up, i would have liked to see something old, or something raging, but i can't complain. overall this was awesome, if you can't see past a few tiny indiscretions then fucking stay home.

toggletoggle post by MikeofdecrepitudE at May 4,2009 7:52am
HAHA. I kind of forgot I came on here and gave a little rant. I think I had more fun getting wasted after the show, than while I was in attendance. Even despite Enslaved not playing material from my favorite albums, they still killed it as usual. I still stand by everything I said a few nights ago. To answer your question Chrisy, basically I can appreciate the metalhead elitism back then because at least when I went to one of their shows, I still had more in common with them, musically, than I do with Slipknot fans and jocks who suddenly have an endless boner for Opeth after just having heard Ghost Reveries. They killed the whole vibe, what else can I say? And obviously I enjoyed myself when Opeth actually played great songs, early in the set. The other new track they played? ZZzzz. Opeth may not sound like nu metal now, but they've definitely lost crucial aesthetic attributes that made the first 5 to 6 albums great (more so the first 4). Still one of the tighest live bands, and they'll continue to get my respect for their earlier albums; that's not going to change. And "Dar", I didn't realize my "worldview" was based around Opeth, but thanks for enlightening me to this fact.

Dar said[orig][quote]
I like Mike's stage banter, it's one of the few reminders that you're watching a band perform and not just listening to one of their albums.

So.. actually witnessing the band playing out in 3rd dimensional reality, out of real guitars and amps, isn't enough to convince you that you're not just listening to an album? My OPINION is that a more silent and focused stage presence works for a band like this. Announcing song titles and cracking jokes just kills the flow and atmosphere they should be building. If I had wanted to see a comedy gig, I could have gone to see Louis CK with my friend on that same night. Now step back, and take a deep breath... Ok, ready? You DON'T have to agree with me, and there's also an ignore feature that the reverend has been more than kind enough to provide us all with.

toggletoggle post by MikeofdecrepitudE at May 4,2009 8:02am edited May 4,2009 8:21am
Yeti said[orig][quote]
who the fuck cares about who the people in the audience were, or what they were doing.

Basically, Opeth has never been a "mosh" band. Moshing and all of that neanderthal expressionism works for other bands, but not Opeth. They don't have breakdowns or "everybody jump! jump!" riffs. Also, when you're at a show watching a band and you have teenage dudes, yes dudes, fanatically screaming out that they "love" Mikael, and would "fuck" him, I'd say that's a little disturbing and not anything I want a part of. I thought I was at an Opeth show, not NKOTB, silly me.

toggletoggle post by ZenErik   at May 4,2009 8:18am
I didn't notice Fredrik's fuckups this time around; although they were very apparent when I saw them last year on the Progressive Nation tour. Axe had a few double bass issues, just like last year, but he was solid otherwise. I noticed that he couldn't keep the beat grooving at the end of "Deliverance" when it got to the 16th note double bass section. He seemed to be struggling with his feet and couldn't keep up without changing the pattern on his right hand (which should actually just be straight quarter notes; sometimes alternating between 2 cymbals).

toggletoggle post by Yeti at May 4,2009 8:29am
MikeofdecrepitudE said[orig][quote]
Yeti said[orig][quote]
who the fuck cares about who the people in the audience were, or what they were doing.

Basically, Opeth has never been a "mosh" band. Moshing and all of that neanderthal expressionism works for other bands, but not Opeth. They don't have breakdowns or "everybody jump! jump!" riffs. Also, when you're at a show watching a band and you have teenage dudes, yes dudes, fanatically screaming out that they "love" Mikael, and would "fuck" him, I'd say that's a little disturbing and not anything I want a part of. I thought I was at an Opeth show, not NKOTB, silly me.

its too bad you let something like that ruin a show for you, seems a bit trivial.

toggletoggle post by MikeofdecrepitudE at May 4,2009 9:03am
That's your opinion of my assessment of the show, and that's fine. It was more of an accumulation of contributing factors. I really would have preferred them to play Advent, as opposed to Night and the Silent Water again. They neglect some their best material far too much. Still, this is nothing to get into a pissing contest about, which is far more trivial. Some people dug the show, others did not. I'm not some mindless fanboy that's going to worship every aspect of the band. I will offer my 22$ worth of numerous criticisms, if I think it's validated.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at May 4,2009 9:23am
hmmm.... interesting conversation.

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at May 4,2009 9:36am
Eh, not worth popcorn for this one. Got some pretzel sticks!

toggletoggle post by Yeti at May 4,2009 10:36am
i just don't give a shit about the crowds or fans anymore. music is personal, the world outside of that is irrelevant. the only point where i cared about the crowd was when they were trying to clap along with the beat, but were horribly off. it happened every time. thankfully Opeth knows how to keep time correctly, that could have really thrown them off. other than that crowds can eat a dick, i don't spend money to worry about the people around me.

toggletoggle post by MikeofdecrepitudE at May 4,2009 10:45am
This also ties into the "paganfest" topic about crowds. I don't think anyone goes to shows for the crowds. Certain crowds can definitely tarnish a show, and there's nothing you can do about it, except be subjected to it. I'm never going to pass up a show I want to see just because I know the crowd is going to be lame, but that doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy being surrounded by these people either.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at May 4,2009 10:56am
Yeti said[orig][quote]
i just don't give a shit about the crowds or fans anymore. music is personal, the world outside of that is irrelevant. the only point where i cared about the crowd was when they were trying to clap along with the beat, but were horribly off. it happened every time. thankfully Opeth knows how to keep time correctly, that could have really thrown them off. other than that crowds can eat a dick, i don't spend money to worry about the people around me.

i cannot fucking stand when they clap like that. people dont realize that not all music is 4/4 time and it completely ruins the songs when they do that. ARGHHHHH.

toggletoggle post by christopher at May 4,2009 11:12am
yggvidrir said[orig][quote]
It was disappointing that Enslaved only got a 40 minute set. It was even more disappointing to have a good view of the stage only to be ruined by the idiot behind me that could not contain his big boy crush on Ice Dale. Perhaps you heard his Ice Dale chant?

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

toggletoggle post by Yeti at May 4,2009 12:49pm
hahaha there were like 2 guys who could not stop talking/chanting about Ice Dale.

toggletoggle post by Dar  at May 4,2009 1:16pm
Ice Dale looks like he wishes he was in velvet revolver, bless him

toggletoggle post by christopher at May 4,2009 9:23pm
It was totally me screaming about Ice Dale. I mean honestly, he was sooo dreamy.

toggletoggle post by christopher at May 4,2009 9:23pm
Though, I was glad so many other people were as enthusiastic about Ice Dale as I was.

toggletoggle post by quintessence  at May 4,2009 9:24pm
Anyone know what songs Enslaved played?

toggletoggle post by W3 nli at May 4,2009 9:50pm
got to chat with the singer from opeth in kenmore square, he was a fag and didnt like the fact i knew who he was.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at May 5,2009 7:30am
quintessence said[orig][quote]
Anyone know what songs Enslaved played?

i remember these:

To The Coast
Ground
The Watcher
As Fire Swept Clean the Earth
Isa
Fusion of Sense and Earth

and i can't remember the others.

toggletoggle post by burnsy at May 5,2009 11:18am
Yeah I was up front on the same side as ivar. the kid was holding his nose and screaming. wearin' a blue shirt.

toggletoggle post by burnsy at May 5,2009 11:18am
They also played Ruun

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at May 5,2009 1:02pm
everyone complains about opeth playing the same shit when enslaved, other than working in songs from whatever album is current at the time (replacing other songs normally in the setlist), has been doing the same thing the last few years. they play as fire swept clean the earth every time, and while i love that song, i wish they'd work in something else from below the lights. aside from three songs off vertebrae, i'm pretty sure everything else they played was stuff i've seen live before. regardless, i still enjoy seeing both bands, although i didn't stay for opeth's whole set.

toggletoggle post by quintessence  at May 5,2009 1:13pm
Enslaved not playing old stuff makes me sad, but I missed the show anyway. I hate everything off Ruun... ugh

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at May 5,2009 1:21pm
When Enslaved played in Feb 2007(?), their first time here in some years, they played some stuff off of Frost and even a song off of their earlier stuff. At that show it was pretty even on what they played: both old and new.
When they played last year, it was a shorter set and they played 1 or 2 older songs I believe. It wasn't as good IMO.
I couldn't make this show but I knew they were going to focus on newer stuff. It would only make sense because they want to appeal to your average Opeth fan (prog-minded folk). If they came out at the house of blues playing Loke or anything like that, it'd scare half the people away from their set.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at May 5,2009 1:23pm
i was happy to hear ground, my favorite song off the new one.

toggletoggle post by burnsy at May 5,2009 3:04pm
I think it's also the fact that Enslaved has changed their own style drastically and not playing the older stuff is less of trying to impress the average Opeth fan and more of saying, "This is where we are now." Would've been nice to see one or two older songs though... wish they had more time to play.

toggletoggle post by porphyria at May 7,2009 11:38am

toggletoggle post by burnsy nli at May 7,2009 11:47am
great pictures man

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Vacant Panhellenic Nightfall
[default homepage] [print][4:24:55am Apr 20,2024
load time 0.02797 secs/16 queries]
[search][refresh page]