New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Cynic vs Atheist by arilliusbm on Dec 31,2008 10:29am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 31,2008 10:29am
I've always preferred Atheist because I think Unquestionable Presence is probably one of the best metal albums of all time.
But, lately I've been listening to Focus more and more, not too sure why. I liked Cynic's demos from the early 90s because they were more thrashier/death but now Focus is spinning more and more.

I don't think we'll ever see any American bands putting out albums like Focus and Unquestionable Presence for quite some time. Which band's style or take do you prefer and why.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Dec 31,2008 10:34am
Atheist is one of those bands i really want to delve into but keep forgetting to purchase their music.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Dec 31,2008 10:34am
Focus is brillian though

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Dec 31,2008 10:58am
I don't prefer either. I love em both. And whenever i think of one of them, the other pops into my head.

toggletoggle post by MikeofDecrepitude at Dec 31,2008 11:00am
Pestilence - Spheres
=)

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Dec 31,2008 11:24am edited Dec 31,2008 3:44pm
Haha I was going to mention Spheres. Best $4 I ever spent. I must say Enthralled in Essence by Atheist is one of my ffavorite songs ever though.

toggletoggle post by GOATCATALYST   at Dec 31,2008 12:14pm
Cynic rules but the fruity vocoder vocals still give me the douche chillz. Soooooooo lame. Atheist all the way- though the Cynic demos rule way more than Focus.

toggletoggle post by STLUCI at Dec 31,2008 1:33pm
FuckIsMySignature said[orig][quote]
Focus is brillian though

are talking about focus from the 1960's ?
definatly worth looking up focus ( hokus pokus is good song ) even if you are are only into metal . they are weird but very talented

toggletoggle post by MikeofDecrepitude at Dec 31,2008 1:38pm
Vocoder vocals rule, as long as they aren't applied to some shitty R&B song.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Dec 31,2008 1:41pm
that cher song with the vocoder vocals is amazing.

DO YOU BELIEVE IN LIFE AFTER LOVE?
I CAN FEEL SOMETHING INSIDE ME SAY
I REALLY DON'T THINK YOU'RE STRONG ENOUGH

FIGHT CHER OR YOU ARE A PUSSY

toggletoggle post by MikeofDecrepitude at Dec 31,2008 1:44pm
Justin Broadrick knows how to correctly utilize a vocoder. When used, he sounds like a Robot strung out on Heroin, and I'm down with that.

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Dec 31,2008 2:34pm
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]
I've always preferred Atheist because I think Unquestionable Presence is probably one of the best metal albums of all time.

Unquestionable Presence has soul.

Focus has happy vibes and random fusion/speed metal riffs.

toggletoggle post by MillenialKingdom  at Dec 31,2008 3:54pm
Cynic has nothing on Atheist, although both bands are awesome.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Dec 31,2008 3:56pm
GOATCATALYST said[orig][quote]
Cynic rules but the fruity vocoder vocals still give me the douche chillz. Soooooooo lame. Atheist all the way- though the Cynic demos rule way more than Focus.

Super hard back'd.

toggletoggle post by GOATCATALYST   at Dec 31,2008 4:19pm
Broadrick can do no wrong. Except some of that Final shit. That was kinda weak.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 31,2008 4:21pm
Regardless of the vocoder vocals on Focus, it still somewhat has a "unique" sound to it, if you know what I mean.
But I think the vocoder vocals were a little over done.

toggletoggle post by MikeofDecrepitude at Dec 31,2008 4:23pm
Broadrick can do no wrong. Except some of that Final shit. That was kinda weak.

Agreed.

He has no fear of experimentation, which I appreciate.

toggletoggle post by swamplorddvm  at Dec 31,2008 5:39pm
I don't know much of cynic, but Atheist has some good shit though some albums are crap.
I don't care how complex a band can be. Crap is pretentious crap.

toggletoggle post by ArilliusBM  at Dec 31,2008 6:31pm
swamplorddvm said[orig][quote]
I don't know much of cynic, but Atheist has some good shit though some albums are crap.

They only have 3 albums. I'm assuming you're talking about Elements because that was their last one and also had the worst production. They wrote/recorded/produced that album in 40 days because the band was breaking up and they needed to complete their contract deal.

toggletoggle post by MikeOvDecrepitvde at Dec 31,2008 6:35pm
Elements is not a bad album in my opinion. I'm kinda skeptical about the new Atheist coming out, after that band"Neurotica" that Kelly had going on.

toggletoggle post by BSV at Dec 31,2008 11:30pm
Athiest hands down. Never really got into Cynic, way to artsy and mellow for my taste.

toggletoggle post by swamplorddvm  at Jan 1,2009 12:28am
ArilliusBM said[orig][quote]

They only have 3 albums. I'm assuming you're talking about Elements because that was their last one and also had the worst production. They wrote/recorded/produced that album in 40 days because the band was breaking up and they needed to complete their contract deal.

I don't recall which album it was but it was rather obnoxious.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jan 1,2009 12:31am
both bands were doing stuff then that people now are doing and having their fans "lose their shit" over it. I can't believe how well both have aged.

toggletoggle post by GOATCATALYST   at Jan 1,2009 3:51am
It's only right and proper that Watchtower be mentioned in this thread. If you wanna talk "ahead of its time" - let's talk ENERGETIC DISASSEMBLY. CONTROL AND RESISTANCE was rad but ENERGETIC just fuckin gets me right in the vas deferens.

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Jan 1,2009 9:44am

Yeah, "Elements" is total fucking garbage (TFG). It's phish with double the faggotry center.

http://www.anus.com/metal/atheist

toggletoggle post by Antheust at Jan 1,2009 11:32am
Anus.com is retarded... that site has catalogued a ton of good bands, but those reviews are the most laughable, nonsensical, and pseudo intellectual bullshit ive ever read. They sound like some guy who took a philosophy class at community college and tried to apply it to metal reviews, while making absolutely no sense at all. Gayest shit.

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Jan 1,2009 11:50am
They only seem to annoy those who haven't made it to the philosophy class at community college level.

toggletoggle post by Antheust at Jan 1,2009 12:19pm
Annoy or befuddle? Big difference. Whoever writes those reviews is retarded, and I can only assume they make sense to those of equally low intelligence or operating on some autistic level.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jan 1,2009 1:28pm
I've always suspected the latter, myself.

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Jan 1,2009 1:54pm
Sounds like sour grapes to me!

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jan 1,2009 2:09pm
No sour grapeage here. After wading through several paragraphs of concentrated Aspergers, I've determined that their review of the first Capharnaum CD was a good one. I actually enjoy ANUS.com - particularly enjoy the Audiofile forum. I just suspect some mild autism behind the scenes... and there's nothing wrong with that.

toggletoggle post by ArilliusBM  at Jan 1,2009 3:13pm
I think we all are.

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Jan 1,2009 6:00pm
Autism? Interesting allegation, first heard in about 1997, but never proven or investigated.

However, it really depends on what you like to read. For philosophy geeks and certain computer programmers, the site's a lot of fun.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jan 8,2009 10:38am
I've been listening to Elements all this week. Although not their best work, there is some rEdiculous guitar riffs in the songs. I can't fathom being able to do some leads/solos on that album.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jan 8,2009 10:41am
Elements is my favorite by them. It's so different and interesting. I can't keep my ears away from it. Recently though, I've been getting into their other material and I like it in a different kind of way. A more "shit this is really good death metal" kind of way.

For me,
Atheist > Cynic
I understand Cynic love but I can't call it death metal. It's good music and I love the new album but I don't listen to it or Focus in the way I listen to Death Metal: sweet riffs, good vocal patterns, awesome rhythm section. No. I listen to it like it's pop. Good melodies and chord progressions.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at May 24,2011 8:43am
Bumping because both bands have released new material since this thread was made.
I'm listening to Atheist's new album "Jupiter" and I must say, some parts absolutely slay. But most of the album lacks soul and falls flat. I respect how they stuck true to their sound, though.
As for Cynic, they're evolving their sound. Some may hate it, others love it. Personally I think Paul is losing his metal compositional skills, albeit the music is still very much original in some regards. His artistic endeavor has taken a new twist, but a cloudy one at that.

I can't decide which I like better when it comes to new Atheist and new Cynic. Both fall a little flat compared to their early material.

toggletoggle post by soul remnants at May 24,2011 9:41am
Yea I enjoy both new albums as well. I think the new cynic is a little better than the new atheist even though it gets pretty far off base at points. Overall, I gotta give it to atheist for just having a larger discography to pull from. Pound for pound, focus is probably the best album in the bunch but when you pile the first three atheist discs up, that is something serious. Both very influetial bands to me for sure.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at May 24,2011 11:32am
they were both close in my book UNTIL Traced in Air.. i know it's heresy, but i like that record better than anything either band has ever done.. and yeah, i realize how different it is, but it's still a fucking masterpiece.

toggletoggle post by reimroc at May 24,2011 12:51pm
i'm gonna troll all of you and say sleep terror is greater than both cynic and atheist.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at May 24,2011 12:58pm
It's only right and proper that Watchtower be mentioned in this thread. If you wanna talk "ahead of its time" - let's talk ENERGETIC DISASSEMBLY. CONTROL AND RESISTANCE was rad but ENERGETIC just fuckin gets me right in the vas deferens.

Rush ripoff metal.

toggletoggle post by soul remnants at May 24,2011 7:27pm
I have to admit, as much as I love king of those who know, I cringe everytime paul says the supergay line "I've taken off my clothes" ahh god. That song is so dynamic and well written I let it slide but I don't know if I would tolerate that from a band that wasn't so legendary already.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Oct 27,2011 4:59pm
Bump for relevance.

toggletoggle post by BSV at Oct 27,2011 5:07pm
UNQUESTIONABLE PRESENCE smashes 23 years of Cynic music in 32:25 minutes time.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:type $#1!, get hit
[default homepage] [print][4:44:46pm Apr 24,2024
load time 0.01769 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]