Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Selling out by swamplorddvm on Feb 27,2004 11:26pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by swamplorddvm  at Feb 27,2004 11:26pm
metallica, cradle of filth, in flames, lamb of god, and countless others. these I feel sold out. Some more than others.

But what does it take for a band sellout?
Lets hear your opinion.

toggletoggle post by george computerless at Feb 27,2004 11:27pm
changing their music to sell more money. cave in did it. shadows fall did it. obviously metallica did it.

mastadon is on headbangers ball. mastadon fucking rules. they did not sell out but are getting attention. that's my opinion on the matter

toggletoggle post by JellyFish at Feb 27,2004 11:31pm
Money, sir, I do believe. Fame I guess. SOme people are real fame whores like zack wylde, but money has everything to do with it. People dont go mainstream and commercial and COMPLETELY change their style in an attempt to stay 'true' to their real fans and scene. They do it for george washington and andrew jackson.

toggletoggle post by JellyFish at Feb 27,2004 11:40pm
Well... to me the "crowd" is very important. I take my Music seriously and I feel good at shows cause I know im around other people that love the same music. but when a band starts playing for shows and change their style for kids who listen to "cool" music... well that just pisses me off. this may sound dumb and shit but like it or not Metal nad hardcore is a "cuture". and i guess im part of it.

toggletoggle post by anonymous at Feb 27,2004 11:41pm
I agree with George. You change your music to make money. Metallica certainly did it. Hell, if you've read the book "Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History", you'll find that they purposely changed their music from speedy complicated (sorta) riffs to slow, chugging power chords because it was easier to listen to in an arena. IN A FUCKING ARENA. That's a sellout.

Now, if a band is getting attention because they're just fucking good, a la Mastodon, then more power to them. I met them at a show up north of Springfield and they're a bunch of fuckin' cool guys. If they start sounding like Korn or something, THEN I'll start screaming bloody murder.

By the way, read that book. You will fucking love it. It traces the beginnings of Death Metal (Black Sabbath, Celtic Frost, Raven...etc...) all the way up to Black Metal and the Swedish church burnings. Man, the book changed my perspective on the genre.

I feel like that guy on Reading Rainbow.

toggletoggle post by Abbath at Feb 27,2004 11:41pm
ehhehehehe hey swamp you forgot your boys Type-O!
fuck new metallica

toggletoggle post by SmallBrownRatFuck in Jersey at Feb 27,2004 11:41pm
DAMMIT! The above post was me. I keep forgetting that I'm not using my own computer.

toggletoggle post by swamplorddvm  at Feb 27,2004 11:45pm edited Feb 27,2004 11:49pm
JellyFish said:
Well... to me the "crowd" is very important. I take my Music seriously and I feel good at shows cause I know im around other people that love the same music. but when a band starts playing for shows and change their style for kids who listen to "cool" music... well that just pisses me off. this may sound dumb and shit but like it or not Metal and hardcore is a "culture". and i guess im part of it.

oops. that one was me.

toggletoggle post by swamplorddvm  at Feb 27,2004 11:52pm
Right! Type O is gay now. I saw Iced earth on mtv 2. Im affriad of what might happen.

toggletoggle post by Kalopsia   at Feb 27,2004 11:54pm
to sellout, is to change your style of music in order to gain a bigger fan base and make more money. i wouldn't hate metallica so much if they would just change their name. they're simply not metallica anymore. metallica was a speed metal band, st. anger doesn't even have the right to have the term "metal" used to describe it. personally i don't feel that In Flames sold out. however i can't really back up that statement 100% because i haven't heard their last album, but i have heard a track or two and it wasn't band. it is possible for awesome bands to write shitty songs every now and then.

toggletoggle post by Abbath at Feb 27,2004 11:55pm
swamplorddvm said:
Right! Type O is gay now. I saw Iced earth on mtv 2. Im affriad of what might happen.

haahahha i hear ya, this afternoon i came home and my brother was watching trl and i heard them talking about this coming ozz fest, i was soooo afraid that they were gonna mention Dimmu, just a matter of time....

toggletoggle post by Josh_hates_you  at Feb 27,2004 11:59pm
scenesters giude to selling out page one article one if more than one person is wearing the same super obscure band that no one has ever heard of T-shirt then that band is obviously sold out and its time to buy a new t-shirt(and guys it wouldnt kill you to get a shirt in your size)

toggletoggle post by Kalopsia   at Feb 28,2004 12:15am
Abbath said:
haahahha i hear ya, this afternoon i came home and my brother was watching trl and i heard them talking about this coming ozz fest, i was soooo afraid that they were gonna mention Dimmu, just a matter of time....

and what is wrong with bands like Dimmu Borgir on MTV? do you like going to metal shows with only 15 ppl in attendance? do u like going to records stores and spending a half hour there just to learn the most metal they have is the new Linkin Park??? cause i sure as fuck don't!!!!!!!!!!

toggletoggle post by Abbath at Feb 28,2004 12:35am
yes i got a problem with that kalopsia because if millions of those fucks enjoy them, then they aren't OUR bands, we'll just be one fan amougst millions, and then we'll get dicks who won't even understand the music and have no idea what the true meanings of the artist want to get across. and no i don't go to record stores to find my music because i know that i'll never find any of my music in "mainstream" or "mall" stores

toggletoggle post by swamplorddvm  at Feb 28,2004 12:37am
Some times it feels good actualy.

toggletoggle post by Kalopsia   at Feb 28,2004 1:52am
i never felt any were MY bands anyway. i never thought "wow, Impaled is so awesome, but only because i, and 4 other ppl think they're awesome. oh shit now 6 million people think they're awesome too!!!!! they suck now!!!!"

THAT MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE AT ALL DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when i look at the photos on this website, i love seeing the Slayer, Morbid Angel, and Dimmu Borgir pics because the venue is always PACKED. i love knowing i'm not the only one out there that loves this shit. there's one festival on this site, from like 2000, i don't remember what is was, but there was like 50 people maximum in attendance. and this was an all day festival. that's absolutely pathetic and things like that only help the statement that metal is dead/dying. would u rather be one fan among a million, or one fan among one?

toggletoggle post by Josh_hates_you  at Feb 28,2004 2:07am
one in a million is not elite enough, one in one thats pretty fucking elite-----refer to my last post in this thread to the super obscure band shirt joke

toggletoggle post by Joe/NotCommon   at Feb 28,2004 3:10pm
I sold out and it got me no where!
thanks Kevorkian's Angels, thanks for nothing!

toggletoggle post by Dissector   at Feb 28,2004 3:11pm
I kinda agree with Abbath. When only "true" metal heads like a band its more personal. But when people who aren't really into the lifestyle or the music it kinda takes a little away from you, the true fan. Its like before you would think they're playing just for you, then more and more people listen to them and its not "your band" any more.

However, just because a band is getting popular doesn't mean they suck and doesn't mean I dont like them. I'm not saying its untrue to have more than 50 fans at a concert, thats retarded. I have no problem with bands getting more fans, buts when the fake metal heads are liking them piss me off. Its not the bands fault though. But as long as their music doesn't change, then you really can't hate the band because of their fans, thats just dumb.

toggletoggle post by Joe/NotCommon   at Feb 28,2004 3:21pm
I hate arch enemy, but i don't think they sold out.
I don't hate their fans either.

toggletoggle post by TheGreatSpaldino   at Feb 28,2004 4:23pm
fuck being true. being a metal elitist is gay. being a hardcore elitist is gay. elitism and everything involved with it is gay. grow the other half of your brains and go listen to other music. this thread is gay.

toggletoggle post by Joe/NotCommon   at Feb 28,2004 5:09pm
being an elitist is awesome, go away

toggletoggle post by TheGreatSpaldino   at Feb 28,2004 5:12pm
hahaha, i just might do that

toggletoggle post by Joe/NotCommon   at Feb 28,2004 5:21pm edited Feb 28,2004 5:22pm
I had to edit this post so that spaldino wouldn't cry again like last summer

toggletoggle post by TheGreatSpaldino   at Feb 28,2004 5:25pm
wouldnt happen... im using tear free shampoo now. =)

toggletoggle post by Assuck   at Feb 28,2004 6:13pm
swamplorddvm said:
metallica, cradle of filth, in flames, lamb of god, and countless others. these I feel sold out. Some more than others.

But what does it take for a band sellout?
Lets hear your opinion.

How in the fuck has Lamb of God sold out? The fact that they signed to a major label doesnt mean shit. If the new album comes out and sounds completely different, and Randy starts singing or some shit, feel free to call them sell outs. I'll be right there with you. But for now, try to hold off judgement.

toggletoggle post by TheGreatSpaldino   at Feb 28,2004 6:14pm
assuck sold out

toggletoggle post by Assuck   at Feb 28,2004 6:16pm
nice one

toggletoggle post by Joe/NotCommon   at Feb 28,2004 6:28pm
Assuck is in an awesome band

toggletoggle post by Assuck   at Feb 28,2004 6:32pm
when they put out Misery Index, i was like, "what the fuck is this?! this sounds nothing like Assuck!". And then i took my head out of my ass and it sounded great.

toggletoggle post by \\\\^/i|/e at Feb 28,2004 8:07pm
I don't think Lamb Of God sold out, they were never good...
They started off as a left-over-shit-of-real-metal-bands band, and they still are.
They're generic and boring.

toggletoggle post by Assuck   at Feb 28,2004 8:51pm
but at least you know they didnt sell out

toggletoggle post by Josh_hates_you  at Feb 29,2004 12:01am
i left the metal fest during lamb of god last year with 7 fractures in my face. now thats fucking metal. and kids cartwheels in the pitt suck!!!!!!!

toggletoggle post by SmallBrownRatFuck in Jersey at Feb 29,2004 12:21am
Shit, we must be REALLY SUPER ELITE 'cause at our Not Common shows, what, 15 people show up? We roxorz! Our coming will we soon. And not on your girlfriend's tits, either.

I think its fucking great when 50 to 75 people show up to a metal show with everyone wearing obscure metal band shirts. Doesn't happen too often, but when it does, it rocks.

Actually, when I went to go see Mastodon, I'd say 85% of the crowd were representing the underground metal scene.

toggletoggle post by BornSoVile   at Feb 29,2004 2:54am
being in a band changes everything.

toggletoggle post by swamplorddvm  at Feb 29,2004 2:55am
I not realy care THAT much if more people know a band i like. Nile is getting "bigger" and they havent changed their sound to get more attention.

toggletoggle post by Joe/NotCommon   at Feb 29,2004 9:32am
NotCommon sold out, look at how my bands totally rip off other bands.
Kevorkian's Angels sounds just like Sheryl Crow. Don't even get me started on Conifer (remember Thomas Dolby?)

toggletoggle post by theundergroundscene   at Feb 29,2004 10:45am
I don't believe in the term "sell out." I swear, a band can change the way they tune and people would call them a sell out. It's so lame. Shadows Fall didn't change a single thing other than their vocalist. A lot of "Of One Blood" was written by Phil Labonte. "The Art of Balance" is the first real album they all wrote together, so of course it's going to be a little different, but saying they sold out is mostly because they got popular, and that is lame.

Although if we're talking about Sugar Ray, then yeah, they sold out big time...

toggletoggle post by Joe/NotCommon   at Feb 29,2004 10:49am
Shadows Fall definately changed the way they sound. Even the songs they re-recorded from the first CD to the Second got really bad.

Plus the weirdo with the dreadlocks has the worst singing and death metal voice ever.

toggletoggle post by Assuck   at Feb 29,2004 12:19pm
you know who sold out? Kalmah

toggletoggle post by JellyFish at Feb 29,2004 1:32pm
Assuck said:
you know who sold out? Kalmah

HAHAHAHA. You are so correct.

toggletoggle post by swamplorddvm  at Feb 29,2004 1:52pm
HAHAHAHHA. yup, they sold out.

toggletoggle post by TheGreatSpaldino   at Feb 29,2004 2:01pm
HAHAHAHAHHA. Yes, I'm so cool.

toggletoggle post by swamplorddvm  at Feb 29,2004 2:02pm
yup

toggletoggle post by TheGreatSpaldino   at Feb 29,2004 2:03pm
you ruined the pattern =(

toggletoggle post by Assuck   at Feb 29,2004 4:31pm
magic the gathering sold out

toggletoggle post by theundergroundscene   at Feb 29,2004 4:37pm
Joe/NotCommon said:
Shadows Fall definately changed the way they sound. Even the songs they re-recorded from the first CD to the Second got really bad.

Plus the weirdo with the dreadlocks has the worst singing and death metal voice ever.

Well I can tell you there are over 100,000 people that disagree.

A new singer and it sounds different? NO WAY!!

toggletoggle post by Assuck   at Feb 29,2004 4:42pm
i can tell you there are millions of people who listen to rap. what does that tell you?

toggletoggle post by theundergroundscene   at Feb 29,2004 4:45pm
That they like rap. Amazing!

toggletoggle post by Assuck   at Feb 29,2004 4:49pm
just because people like it doesn't mean its good

toggletoggle post by swamplorddvm  at Feb 29,2004 4:50pm
Most people have simple minds.

toggletoggle post by theundergroundscene   at Feb 29,2004 4:56pm
Assuck said:
just because people like it doesn't mean its good

That works both ways buddy.

toggletoggle post by TheGreatSpaldino   at Feb 29,2004 6:02pm edited Feb 29,2004 6:04pm
fact of the matter is: "Of One Blood" is infinitely better than "Somber Eyes..." . OH NO!!11 IT DOESN'T HAVE BREAKDOWN!!111 THE RECORDING IS BETTER!11 LOLZ!111 THEER IZ A S0Lo!!11. give it a rest. anyone that appreciates musicianship at its finest knows that that OOB is way better, more mature, and a hell of a lot more structured then SETTS. its not selling out. its called using TALENT. the guitar playing on that is awesome and the melodies and harmonies/counter-harmonies are superb. mix that with better song writing and you have a better album. even "The Art of Balance" is better. its great that you like aggression, but labling an inferior album superior to the others because they are not as "heavy" is absolutely absurd. not only that, but you have a defective view on music.

toggletoggle post by theundergroundscene   at Feb 29,2004 7:23pm
Wow I love this kid haha

toggletoggle post by BornSoVile   at Feb 29,2004 7:33pm
TheGreatSpaldino said:
fact of the matter is: "Of One Blood" is infinitely better than "Somber Eyes..." . OH NO!!11 IT DOESN'T HAVE BREAKDOWN!!111 THE RECORDING IS BETTER!11 LOLZ!111 THEER IZ A S0Lo!!11. give it a rest. anyone that appreciates musicianship at its finest knows that that OOB is way better, more mature, and a hell of a lot more structured then SETTS. its not selling out. its called using TALENT. the guitar playing on that is awesome and the melodies and harmonies/counter-harmonies are superb. mix that with better song writing and you have a better album. even "The Art of Balance" is better. its great that you like aggression, but labling an inferior album superior to the others because they are not as "heavy" is absolutely absurd. not only that, but you have a defective view on music.

:knocking on desk like a parliamentary wanker:

toggletoggle post by Josiah_the_Black  at Mar 1,2004 12:13am
this thread has gone on for too long and it is getting very redundant

everyone has different opinions on selling out some think that if a band starts gaining a lot of popularity and are starting to headline more and are on more "mainstream" festivals such as ozzfest or something that they have sold out, in my opinion if a band changes their sound and i mean drastically changes their whole attitude and output on the music their making, they start doing it to appeal to a much bigger audience for more profit, however a band can be put on the radio and tv and stuff and not neccessarily sell out, unless of course it's mtv, and yes mtv does suck because they are a corporate telivision broadcasting company that is based on creating profit, they didnt used to be but this is what they have become
now this applies to mainly metal because bands like the white stripes are on mtv and they didnt really sell out, people are just getting more and more into the sort-of prog rock genre that they are
this mainly applies to metal because it is a more intense music than mtv would want to play because they think they would lose viewers that love pop and rap music and bands like evanescence and linkin park (who i must say both suck horribly)
that is why bands that change so they are able to be played on mtv suck and are sellouts

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Mar 1,2004 2:12am
spaldino's post about OOB is on point.

toggletoggle post by swamplorddvm  at Mar 1,2004 2:17am
Josiah_the_Black said:
this thread has gone on for too long and it is getting very redundant

everyone has different opinions on selling out some think that if a band starts gaining a lot of popularity and are starting to headline more and are on more "mainstream" festivals such as ozzfest or something that they have sold out, in my opinion if a band changes their sound and i mean drastically changes their whole attitude and output on the music their making, they start doing it to appeal to a much bigger audience for more profit, however a band can be put on the radio and tv and stuff and not neccessarily sell out, unless of course it's mtv, and yes mtv does suck because they are a corporate telivision broadcasting company that is based on creating profit, they didnt used to be but this is what they have become
now this applies to mainly metal because bands like the white stripes are on mtv and they didnt really sell out, people are just getting more and more into the sort-of prog rock genre that they are
this mainly applies to metal because it is a more intense music than mtv would want to play because they think they would lose viewers that love pop and rap music and bands like evanescence and linkin park (who i must say both suck horribly)
that is why bands that change so they are able to be played on mtv suck and are sellouts

Well put.

toggletoggle post by Joe/NotCommon   at Mar 1,2004 9:45am
TheGreatSpaldino said:
fact of the matter is: "Of One Blood" is infinitely better than "Somber Eyes..." .

No way, Somber Eyes is better, Phil was a much better vocalist, the songs are played much tighter and the grittier recording rules. Of One Blood is retarded, it was much sloppier sounding, the recording was way to clean, the vocals are all terrible, and the newer songs on it are gay.

basically:

BachogreCtron: I forgot, what's phantom limbs bassist's name?
NotCommonRecords: Kevin
BachogreCtron: that is, I knew it was something yuppie

toggletoggle post by MyDeadDoll   at Mar 1,2004 12:47pm
i'd sell out for a date with justin timberlake...
and then i'd say he tried to rape me.

toggletoggle post by SmallBrownRatFuck   at Mar 1,2004 2:01pm
OK, who's this guy, and where is he so I can gut him and spread his entrails on the counter of the nearest post office?

Fuck. Yuppie? Shit.

toggletoggle post by swamplorddvm  at Mar 1,2004 2:04pm
Who are you talking about?

toggletoggle post by MyDeadDoll   at Mar 1,2004 2:22pm
BachogreCtron = The Rev

toggletoggle post by SmallBrownRatFuck   at Mar 1,2004 2:38pm
HAHAHA, oh well.

toggletoggle post by MyDeadDoll   at Mar 1,2004 2:39pm
these things, they happen

toggletoggle post by destinationvoid at Mar 1,2004 4:45pm
Can you really blame bands for wanting to make money? Or wanting to try new things musically?

I got the new Dream Theater cd, and it's completely different from their old stuff, it sounds like something that they'd play on AAF, but whatever, why would a band want to constantly keep playing the same things over and over, it would get boring. As for the money, they work hard for it.

toggletoggle post by MyDeadDoll   at Mar 1,2004 10:39pm
working hard for the money is one thing, but having
money and acting like a cunt is another thing. metallica
is playing here in a few days and they gave away tickets
and back stage passes and they're having some party
before the show to meet the band... BUT, the guys that were
giving away the passes said not to hold your breath if you
wanna meet metallica 'cos they prolly won't want to be around
people... now that's a load of crap. good thing i think anything
after the black album is shit, not the shit, but just shit.

toggletoggle post by tnkgrl  at Mar 1,2004 11:12pm
Aaron = yuppie.

toggletoggle post by Kalopsia   at Mar 2,2004 4:11am
destinationvoid said:
Can you really blame bands for wanting to make money? Or wanting to try new things musically?

I got the new Dream Theater cd, and it's completely different from their old stuff, it sounds like something that they'd play on AAF, but whatever, why would a band want to constantly keep playing the same things over and over, it would get boring. As for the money, they work hard for it.

when you form a band, 98% of the time that band is commited to one style of music. Cannibal Corpse was formed as a death metal band. Dimmu Borgir was formed as a black metal band. Hatebreed was formed as a hardcore band, and Metallica was formed as a speed metal band. it's one thing to progress musically, and accustom your style to the newer forms of the genre you started playing, but you stay within that genre. as soon as you completely change styles, and no longer play that certain type of music, change the band name. Cannibal Corpse is, and will always be remembered as a death metal band. if they want to go ahead and start playing black metal, fine, but change the band name, because Cannibal Corpse is not a black metal band. Metallica failed to do that. when you're a speed metal band, moving forward does not mean hurrying the fuck up in the studio, nor does it mean slowing down your songs. when they get nominated for music awards, it's usually for something like "best hard rock band". HARD ROCK!!! not metal, but rock. very simply put, Metallica changed their style, henceforth, they are no longer Metallica. now why does that mean they sold out? because they are still selling a product under the name Metallica, even though it's not truly Metallica. If they changed their band name to go along with the style they play now, for example let's say Frantic, chances are they wouldn't sell nearly as many albums as they do now. do u see where i'm getting at here?

toggletoggle post by Kalopsia   at Mar 2,2004 4:34am
one more thing:
of course we want to all make money. every musician in the world would kill to be able to live off of playing music. but for me personally, i feel my dignity and self respect is more important than money.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:twy again, dis time wid feewing
[default homepage] [print][11:00:03am Mar 28,2024
load time 0.02360 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]