New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> ATTN: Home recording guru's by Hoser on Dec 17,2008 7:58pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Hoser at Dec 17,2008 7:58pm
Looking for a sound card that with a 1/4 inch jack.

Anyone know where I can get one? Or is it better to use some other sort of pre-amp that I can plug into my USB ports?

I have limited funds and not sure what is good. My buddy said that the Echo cards were great...but where in the fuck can I get one, and is there a better / cheaper alternative?

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Dec 17,2008 8:03pm
I dunno bout no sound cards but soon I'll have a Line 6 Tone Port that I'll use with Garage Band and then I'll be a home recording guru.

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Dec 17,2008 8:07pm
How limited is your budget? there is almost certainly a better way to do what you're trying to do.

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Dec 17,2008 8:17pm edited Dec 17,2008 8:17pm
You probably have a line in on the back of your computer that you could plug into the lineout of an amp and record that way. that would sound terrible, but it would work.

if you gotta go real real cheap, I'd grab something line this: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...inger-Guitar-Link-UCG102?sku=241228

and if you got 100 to 150 bucks, I'd definately grab either a digitech RP150 or RP250.

Which come with USB outputs and recording software now which is great for recording riffs and stuff, plus they also got built in tuners and their digital effects aren't sounding too bad these days actually.

or you could snag a presonus audiobox for 150 bucks, but you'd need to get a firewire card for your PC if you don't already have one and your comp needs to be slightly up to date to run it's software.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ct/PreSonus-AudioBox-USB?sku=243007

for my money, I'd grab one of those two digitechs.

toggletoggle post by tsectpathogen at Dec 19,2008 8:19am
even line6's cheapest option (around 60 bucks or so i think) still sounds pretty good. you'd be better off with something like that as most computer sound cards have way too high of a latency to do any decent real time recording unless you have some sort of interface or a really good soundcard inside the system. money wise, better to get an interface IMO...i payed probably close to 200 for a sound blast x-fi platinum, originally wanted it for recording...it was alright, but then spent 300-400 on a presonus firepod and it was LEAPS AND BOUNDS better.

in conclusion, probably better off with some sort of cheaper usb interface guitar thinger.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 19,2008 9:36am
I've got the toneport and absolutely love it.

toggletoggle post by sigh at Dec 19,2008 10:25am
Also have the a toneport and have been pretty happy with it.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 19,2008 10:31am
no shit mike, let's figure out how to share those tones haha

toggletoggle post by monster at Dec 19,2008 3:12pm
use firewire ... much faster than USB

toggletoggle post by sxealex   at Dec 19,2008 11:01pm
just use this:
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=119&sku=40636
$2.49
and some effects pedals and vst filters.

You can put any preamp from an amp before it that you want. Audio card preamps are usually shit anyway.

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Dec 20,2008 10:56am
A good place to ask all such questions:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/

You will want to upgrade your sound drivers to low-latency ones.

You will want a preamp or even better, some form of mixing board, to normalize the signal.

You also may need to upgrade sound card for something with less internal noise.

toggletoggle post by handinjury at Dec 20,2008 11:08am
A some peeps have said above, heres the wrap up:
Firewire is better/faster than USB.
Any intergrated or soundblaster type of Sound card is complete garbage, the converters and preamp will be total shit. And the a/d latency would make you want to kill yourself.
If your really hard up for cash, and just want to record guitar stuff check out the line6 thing, spend a little more and get the M-audio fast track or something similer(w/ xlr and 1/4 jacks) The are TONS of free VST plugs on the net so make sure the software use's VST type plugs.
Hope you are using XP, because Vista sucks balls for audio.

toggletoggle post by Hoser at Dec 20,2008 12:17pm
I'm using 2K Pro...is the tone port and all of that shit compatable?

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Dec 20,2008 2:37pm
If you've got an underpowered system, you're going to have a tough time running the software.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:spell something wrong or you=narc
[default homepage] [print][11:34:23am Apr 24,2024
load time 0.01765 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]