New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Radio music (rock) from the early 90s to today by arilliusbm on Dec 12,2008 10:48am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 12,2008 10:48am
Just something I'm thinking about here at work, as I listen to Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden (gotta keep it work-friendly).

The music that was on the radio from the 90s was so much better than that screamo shit I hear on it today. I don't really listen to the radio at all anymore, but the bands back then were so much better. Alice in Chains, Live, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, etc. The fucking shit on the radio today doesn't even hold a candle to this stuff.

/the end

toggletoggle post by Josh_Martin at Dec 12,2008 10:51am
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]
Alice in Chains, Live, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, etc.
/the end

There's at least 5 stations that play nothing but that shit.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 12,2008 10:53am
Yea, I know. They're still on the radio. I'm talking about the current status of radio-friendly rock music. All the new stuff just seems like a bunch of pissy emo-kids who think they play hard rock or metal.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Dec 12,2008 10:56am
I can't do the radio. It hurts my soul. I try and listen to NPR when i can, but all the bad news depresses me, so i try to listen to classical, and the two stations in boston play the same 30 pieces done by 100 different orchestras, and lastly i try sports talk radio, and they yell over each other and all the callers till i run over a pedestrian in rage. I bring my IPOD in the work van with me now.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 12,2008 10:57am
I don't mind ZLX.

toggletoggle post by oscarct  at Dec 12,2008 10:58am
I awlays hated that band live

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Dec 12,2008 11:11am
early 90s rock reminds me of playing with legos in my bedroom when i was kid.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Dec 12,2008 11:13am
i almost never listen to the radio. if i do, it's usually weei or zlx.

toggletoggle post by AndrewBastard at Dec 12,2008 11:25am
I listen to talk radio at work, back and fourth between 90.9 and 96.9..

I KNOW....total opposite agendas but both are interesting/entertaining.

I cant do 'music' radio either. It's so bad and I'm even sick of all the classic rock stations...I can only listen to the same Led Zeppelin / ACDC songs so many times before I start to hate them.

During certains portions of work, I can wear my iPod and thats when I listen to whatever I want.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 12,2008 11:29am
you're right.. ZLX and HJY play the same 3 Zepp songs over and over.
When I worked in construction, they'd always have HJY on and we literally heard the same 10 songs throughout the day.

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Dec 12,2008 11:33am
They have WBOS on all day at work, and it is torture. They play the same 30 songs over and over and over again. I think I've heard every single hit RHCP ever had about 3 times a day.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Dec 12,2008 11:53am
Yes, Oscar. FUCK Live. Worst band. I would pay substantial amounts of money to hear the collective death rattle of their children.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Dec 12,2008 11:54am
yeah, the problem with all rock stations, classic or not, is they have a heavy rotation of 5 zeppelin songs. it gets annoying fast.

toggletoggle post by c.DeAD at Dec 12,2008 12:01pm
I get it the worst, hands down. Mix 98.5

Try listening to this garbage every day. Same ten songs in rotation so I hear ALOT of Katy Perry. I think she desperately needs to die.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Dec 12,2008 12:03pm
the worst music is the soft rock crap you hear in waiting rooms. songs like "walking in memphis" and other shit like that.

toggletoggle post by pam   at Dec 12,2008 12:06pm
I never listen to the radio. It's pretty awesome.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Dec 12,2008 12:08pm
i love not knowing what the current popular songs and bands/singers are. sometimes i hear about something if it gets so popular that it's hard to avoid, like that i kissed a girl crap or lil wayne, but usually it's pretty easy ignore it.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 12,2008 12:48pm
I like talking smack about modern rap/hip hop to fellow employees here.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Dec 12,2008 12:53pm
i stopped talking shit about bad music to people who like bad music because i don't care what other people listen to. it got to the point where i was focusing more of my attention on music i hate than music i like.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 12,2008 12:54pm
I just argue with them about old-school hip hop from the 80s blows away the shit today.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 12,2008 2:19pm
haha, that song "Scoff" from Nirvana's Bleach album just came on and there's double bass. I forgot about that.

toggletoggle post by pam   at Dec 12,2008 2:22pm
dreadkill said[orig][quote]
i love not knowing what the current popular songs and bands/singers are. sometimes i hear about something if it gets so popular that it's hard to avoid, like that i kissed a girl crap or lil wayne, but usually it's pretty easy ignore it.

I saw the kissed a girl one on another message board and didn't click the video cause I thought it was the other kissed a girl video from the 90s.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Dec 12,2008 2:24pm
pam said[orig][quote]

I saw the kissed a girl one on another message board and didn't click the video cause I thought it was the other kissed a girl video from the 90s.
i thought that at first too

toggletoggle post by pam   at Dec 12,2008 2:47pm
pam said[orig][quote]

i thought that at first too

Dude, I just checked my other message board and someone had just posted this in the music video thread. wtf.

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by oscarct  at Dec 12,2008 2:53pm
goatcatalyst said[orig][quote]
Yes, Oscar. FUCK Live. Worst band. I would pay substantial amounts of money to hear the collective death rattle of their children.

Make it Happen Mr. Adams..ill make it worth your while..

toggletoggle post by IllinoisEnemaBradness at Dec 12,2008 2:59pm
Don't know if Boston radio is carrying the Lou Dobbs radio show, but he's pretty good.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 9,2011 11:02am
Bump because the 90s were better.

Also, LOL @ dreadkill being the Most Interesting Man Alive before those commercials:

i almost never listen to the radio. if i do, it's usually weei or zlx.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS should be working at Dec 9,2011 11:03am
The 90s were better musically almost across the board

I back this thread hard

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 9,2011 11:09am
goatcatalyst said[orig][quote]

Not backed at all. Overplayed it was, but Throwing Copper is a fucking sick album. Dont care what anyone says.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Dec 9,2011 11:12am edited Dec 9,2011 11:12am
I also enjoy "Throwing Copper."

toggletoggle post by RustyPS should be working at Dec 9,2011 11:13am
Totally agree on Throwing Copper, great record

toggletoggle post by blue  at Dec 9,2011 11:14am
I hear more 90s music on the radio today than I ever did in the 90s.

toggletoggle post by Mark_R at Dec 9,2011 11:26am edited Dec 9,2011 11:27am
I honestly never liked most of the grunge and/or post-grunge bands. Never liked Soundgarden or Pearl Jam, barely liked Alice in Chains, although I did like Nirvana. Mudhoney was never on the radio at least in my area. My dislike of the radio giants (PJ, SG) meant that I never went back to check out Green River or Mother Love Bone. Hearing Megadeth - Symphony of Destruction got my attention fast though.

I liked Primus, 311, Offspring, Weezer, 90s Bad Religion, all from the radio too.

toggletoggle post by arktourO‘s at Dec 9,2011 11:27am
corporate radio has never been a bastion of creativity. i can thank 90's radio for making all those decent grunge bands unlistenable to me today. throwing copper was alright, again, i stopped being able to hear that stuff years ago. i would enjoy led zep a lot more if the radio didn't overplay them to death. i'm still catching up on all the underground releases i missed because of 90's radio. THANKS A LOT, OPIE & ANTHONY

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 9,2011 11:29am
311 was so overrated IMO.

toggletoggle post by eyeroller at Dec 9,2011 11:30am

toggletoggle post by RustyPS should be working at Dec 9,2011 11:32am
Radio always has and always will beat you over the head with the same 15 songs played over and over and over and over again. I tend to like this styuff more after completely giving up on music radio while I was still in high school. If you're still listening to music radio, I suggest you find an alternative method of listening to music. Then, give all the stuff your sick of a chance again a few years from now. I bet you'll find a new appreciation for at least some of it.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Dec 9,2011 11:53am edited Dec 9,2011 11:53am
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]
311 was so overrated IMO.

they are now for sure. but they used to be really fun live and their first couple albums are really good. i hardly expect many on here to agree with that though haha.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS should be working at Dec 9,2011 12:00pm
I was a big fan of 311's s/t album back in the day, but I grew out of it.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Dec 9,2011 12:05pm
its good party music for the right group of friends. beyond that... agreed.

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at Dec 9,2011 12:13pm
I once had a 311-inspired band play my garage for a party, in retrospect they were awful

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Dec 9,2011 12:17pm
ITT: People actually needing retrospective to realize 311 sucked.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Dec 9,2011 12:18pm
Disclaimer: I've seen Coal Chamber live a handful of times.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS should be working at Dec 9,2011 12:18pm
xmikex said[orig][quote]
ITT: People actually needing retrospective to realize 311 sucked because when they liked 311 they were dumb 13 year olds.

fixed

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 9,2011 12:21pm
Faux farmboy crappy rapping over faux reggae riffage with a distorted guitar? No thx.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Dec 9,2011 12:23pm edited Dec 9,2011 12:24pm
mad beats yo. i'm gonna listen to some 311 now just out of spite.

toggletoggle post by ark at Dec 9,2011 12:23pm
No fauxes!!!

toggletoggle post by RustyPS should be working at Dec 9,2011 12:24pm
Guy Faux Day?

toggletoggle post by CurlyRed at Dec 9,2011 12:25pm
I saw Rush live when I was in high school I find it terribly embarrassing now.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 9,2011 12:36pm
I waited all these years for this band to come original but the only thing I learned from them is that amber is the color of my energy.

toggletoggle post by Mark_R at Dec 9,2011 12:42pm
CurlyRed said[orig][quote]

?

toggletoggle post by CurlyRed at Dec 9,2011 12:52pm
^^ lol sorry random thought. I saw the coal chamber comment which made me think of concerts I went to see in the early 90's.

toggletoggle post by Woah!_Shut_It_Down!  at Dec 9,2011 12:55pm
Used to be mah jamz

And occasionally House Of Pain, Cypress Hill, and Beastie Boys, but those don't count as rap lolz

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 9,2011 1:02pm
Also 311 is a racist band and so is Tom and his fb friends.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Dec 9,2011 1:03pm
true. i am racist against white people. they are assholes.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Dec 9,2011 1:11pm
as far as i am concerned life stopped after 1999.

toggletoggle post by FAG IS SLAGHAT at Dec 9,2011 1:16pm

toggletoggle post by KEVORD  at Dec 9,2011 1:23pm
As someone who's seen Rush on every tour since 1990 I am offended.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Dec 9,2011 1:24pm
i've never gotten to see rush. :/

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Dec 9,2011 1:26pm
popular music in the 90's sucked. Only the cheese synthpop 80's are real.

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Dec 9,2011 1:27pm
But, as a more serious answer, you do realize that most people prefer they music they heard in their teens, right?

toggletoggle post by CurlyRed at Dec 9,2011 1:27pm
I can appreciate their musical talent but I don't know why I just can't listen to them now. I use to love them back in the day, but now I can't stand them.

toggletoggle post by KEVORD  at Dec 9,2011 1:39pm edited Dec 9,2011 1:40pm
To get back to the topic I like a lot of the radio stuff in the early 90's,saw the majority of the bands live in my teens and went to a few lollapalooza's in my day but I can't listen to that shit now. It just sounds so stail to me. But yet I can listen to classic rock and still love it.

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Dec 9,2011 1:42pm
Any time I have no choice but to listen to the radio, I opt for the oldies station. But even with that, my patience is really starting to wear thin.

Also, this belongs here:

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Dec 9,2011 1:44pm
92.9 has alot of good tunes from the 90s

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Dec 9,2011 1:44pm
KEVORD said[orig][quote]
But yet I can listen to classic rock and still love it.

this. all day this.

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Dec 9,2011 1:46pm
I get my dose of Pearl Jam for sure, they've been my dad's favorite band as long as I can remember. Half the time I'm in the car with him if he's driving something with Sirius on it (he works for a rental car company and drives rental cars instead of having his own) then it's on the Pearl Jam station. Saw them with him once when I was 16. Had fun.

toggletoggle post by CurlyRed at Dec 9,2011 1:47pm
KEVORD said[orig][quote]
To get back to the topic I like a lot of the radio stuff in the early 90's,saw the majority of the bands live in my teens and went to a few lollapalooza's in my day but I can't listen to that shit now. It just sounds so stail to me. But yet I can listen to classic rock and still love it.

I am with you 100% on the classic rock statement.

toggletoggle post by FAG IS SLAGHAT at Dec 9,2011 1:49pm
I think that if you're listening to ONLY same music you've always listened to, you are not growing as a music lover or as a person.

It's a big red flag that says "i've given up trying to expand my comfort zone".

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 9,2011 1:52pm
KEVORD said[orig][quote]

I am with you 100% on the classic rock statement.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Dec 9,2011 2:02pm
good music never dies.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS should be working at Dec 9,2011 2:04pm
I listen to a bunch of classic rock too

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Dec 9,2011 2:07pm
I only listen to John Tesh and LL Cool J.

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Dec 9,2011 2:16pm

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Dec 9,2011 2:18pm
Lamp said[orig][quote]
Also relevant:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/euro-crisis-hits-rock,26853/

"Well, it's good at least to hear that Metallica's still out there doing what they love most: ensuring they get their goddamn money."

HAHAHAHA

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Dec 9,2011 3:27pm
FAG%20IS%20SLAGHAT said[orig][quote]
I think that if you're listening to ONLY same music you've always listened to, you are not growing as a music lover or as a person.

It's a big red flag that says "i've given up trying to expand my comfort zone".

in some ways, but i for one can attest to how happy i am sticking with what i know. i have spent so much money and time expanding my horizons, and i have found some amazing work, but generally i end up going back wondering why i stepped out in the first place. actually the only time that doesn't happen is when i delve into music written before 1990. so i guess my music does still expand, just in reverse.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Dec 9,2011 3:30pm
narkybark said[orig][quote]
But, as a more serious answer, you do realize that most people prefer they music they heard in their teens, right?

you're right, but if the current generation was as exposed to 90's music as they are with what's deemed popular now, i wonder if that would stay the same. it is entirely subjective.

either way, the whole point is, the 90's ruled.

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Dec 9,2011 3:39pm
I think it would stay the same. Music changes enough each decade to make the earlier generation go "ew". Your parents did it, you do it, and your kids will do it.

I thought 90's popular music was absolute garbage, so there you go.

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Dec 9,2011 4:06pm
I was growing up in the 90s with two parents that usually listened to WBRU and I still think 90s popular music blows. I've never been much for sentimental value or viewing the past through rose colored glasses though.

toggletoggle post by nekronautloggedin at Dec 9,2011 4:18pm

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Dec 9,2011 4:30pm

toggletoggle post by Ancient_Master  at Dec 9,2011 8:05pm
definitely a good album from the 90s....deserves revision

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by ark at Dec 9,2011 8:07pm
Ancient_Master said[orig][quote]
definitely a good album from the 90s....deserves revision

bennyhillifier

I'll always have a softie for Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie.

toggletoggle post by ark at Dec 9,2011 8:13pm

bennyhillifier
lol at comment "awsome i can dig it...kinda wish i was broght up around there time
melmelgx2 19 hours ago"

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:type $#1!, get hit
[default homepage] [print][1:36:43pm Apr 19,2024
load time 0.05668 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]