New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> recording equipment by ouchdrummer on Nov 14,2008 11:25am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Nov 14,2008 11:25am
So, Boarcorpse wants to start recording ourselves. So we are purchasing (today) an interface for my home pc with 8 inputs. (all 8 are either 1/4inch or xlr) The reason we are getting an 8 and not one with more inputs is simple. The differnce in price is huge, and 8 is all we need to get a good solid drum mix. After the drums, we can scoot those tracks for the drums over (retaining seperation) and use the 8 inputs for guitars/bass/vocs etc... so anyways, we are buying this thing, and were thinking about what you need for good recordings. Firstly, you need something to record onto, which with my pc/protools/this interface, there will be no loss of quality. Next obviously you need nice equipment, which we have, next would be nice mics..

So here are my questions- Can anyone recomend some mics for drums? Either a set of them, or individual ones for each part of the set? I've been looking at prepacks, and at individuals, and want to know what will capture the best sound.

I wanna ask the same question for guitar+bass+vocal mics. My spending limit is about a couple grand for all mics total. I don't NEED to spend that much, but if it will make that much of a difference, i would be willing to.

Lastly, knowledge/experience. I know that if this isn't the most important thing for recording, it is at least AS important as any other part. And i will get this over time i am sure, especially since the PC is in my bedroom/livingroom where my drums are, and i will just keep experimenting till i get wonderful sounds with my drums.. but i don't really know anything about micing drums yet, any advice would be appreciated, and I am going to buy a book about it today.

If I get half way decent at this, i will probably want to record some bands for free to get the hang of it, when that happens RTTP is where i will search for said bands.

Thanks for your time.

toggletoggle post by dertoxia   at Nov 14,2008 11:38am
I have a Shure SM-57 for my guitar. It seems to be pretty much the standard. You can pick em up used for a little under 100 bucks. If you want to be cheap you can get a PG-57 for like 30 dollars but its best to stick to the SM line.

I actually have no idea what i'm doing when it comes to recording but i somehow manage to get by. The Psytoxia recordings come out pretty good. The biggest problem is taking care of the bleed through on the mics and getting them all in synch. You can throw a heavy blanket over the kick drum to keep the snare from bleeding into that mic. You gotta do a lot of experimenting with the placement of the kick mic. Try different angles, different depths and just play around until you get the punch you want.

Oh and if you don't already, you NEED to get nice stands. Yeah you can just drape mics over ceiling light fixtures but that's just a pain in the ass and is more for powerviolence bands haha. You can never have too many boom stands.

...so theres some free advice from someone who knows next to nothing about recording but manages to make it work. Take it as you wish.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Nov 14,2008 1:16pm
I appreciate said advice, and thankfully, since i use axis pedals with the Ekit triggers, i won't have to mic the bass.

toggletoggle post by josh_hates_you  at Nov 14,2008 3:32pm
without breaking the bank.....$700 ish will get you......

AKG D112 = kick
sennheiser e604 3-pack = toms
sm 57 = snare
Oktava mc 012 = overheads......or nice large diaphrams for more room sound.

I'd sell you mine but I just started playing again.

toggletoggle post by josh_hates_you  at Nov 14,2008 3:33pm

toggletoggle post by My_Dying_Bride at Nov 14,2008 6:29pm
i just set my self up with a home studio... took a long ass time but i got a sweet power mac and the presonus firestudio its fucking awesome too...

as far as drum mics, my buddy had the CAD set and that sounded tight

good luck with everything though man

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Nov 14,2008 6:59pm
Presonus firestudio is exactly the interface we're prob gonna get. Reviews seem to indicate that either people love it or can't get it to work. I'm hoping the comp we have will be OK.

toggletoggle post by IllinoisEnemaBradness at Nov 14,2008 10:33pm
experiment with micing the bottom snare also. Do you guys do alot of blasting? Make sure your drummer can stay consistent with snare and bass drum hits or it'll suck to mix. The less eq'ing and compressing the better imo

toggletoggle post by TheAccursedDrummer  at Nov 16,2008 1:05am
This is Joshtruction, I just did not want to log Chris off of here on his computer....

Shure Beta52 for kick
Regular SM 57's for the toms and snares
Cheapo overhead pencil condensors to get the cymbals and work the stereo imaging.

Thats a cheap way to get decent results. here are a few more options...

beta 52 kick (pretty much my go to kick mic) or
Beta 91 (lays flat in the kick) In Dire Needs lost at sea album was done with just this mic if you want quality reference.

57 on the snare still
Sennheiser MD421's on the toms (industry professional standard tom mic that really rips)

Shure KSM109's (matched pair for over heads) great mic for the dollar.

Mix and match any of those for a decent combo. Senn E604's work a lot like a 57. You can easily mix and match them. Spend a lot of time working on mic placement. Thats the most important thing. That and very strong over head tracks. The stereo imaging from them will play a major role in final production quality. If you want some mic techniques let me know and I will post up more shit.

A better quality

toggletoggle post by TheAccursedDrummer  at Nov 16,2008 1:06am
oh and rode/nady/MXL sometimes make a decent cheap overhead condensor.

toggletoggle post by iam66692008@yahoo.com at Dec 3,2008 7:01am
EURODESK MX2442A
24-Channel 4-Bus Mixing Console for sale or trade. Channel 1 is little fuzzy, aside from that, its in great shape. $300 or I am looking for a small drumset. Bass, snare a cymbol or 2 and a tom. Nothing crazy, as long as it works. Please reply only to iam66692008@yahoo.com

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:watch out for plagues of locusts
[default homepage] [print][1:33:09pm Apr 23,2024
load time 0.00988 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]