New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Darkthrone - Dark Thrones and Black Flags by Yeti on Oct 30,2008 7:46am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Yeti at Oct 30,2008 7:46am
this is fucking awesome. for those of you who like the direction that they went with The Cult is Alive, and then further with FOAD will like this. i actually like it better than FOAD, the riff work is much better, and has more Darkthrone in it. overall its a much more solid record, it doesn't sound like they were trying so hard to make that sound, it has a much more natural feel to it. the best tracks are Death of All Oaths, Hiking Metal Punks and Norway in September.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Oct 30,2008 7:55am
the hiking metal makes me laugh. it's got a lot more punk/metal sound behind it's rawness.

toggletoggle post by darkwor at Oct 30,2008 9:49am
i enjoy it. hiking metal punks is great. awesome riffs throughout

toggletoggle post by quintessence  at Oct 30,2008 10:53am
I'm sure I will like this. I am a hiking metal punk afterall..

toggletoggle post by NuclearWinter at Oct 30,2008 11:58am
Can't wait to pick this up on vinyl.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Oct 30,2008 12:03pm
Nothing on par with Graveyard Slut or Whiskey Funeral, but it's a keeper for sure.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Nov 9,2008 7:11pm
i need this

toggletoggle post by RichHorror  at Nov 9,2008 7:15pm
Darkthrone has such great song titles lately.

toggletoggle post by My_Dying_Bride at Nov 9,2008 8:52pm
when this band ends they will have at least 40 albums

toggletoggle post by BSV at Nov 27,2008 11:11am
I need to get this asap. All hail the genius of DARKTHRONE.

toggletoggle post by Paul CNV at Nov 27,2008 11:15am
The stuff I heard from this is great. Some of it sounds like Storm!

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Nov 27,2008 11:24am
just read today that they are already working on a new one.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Nov 27,2008 2:43pm
Yeti said[orig][quote]
Hiking Metal Punks

Possibly the best song title in the histories of both songs and titles.

RichHorror said[orig][quote]
Darkthrone has such great song titles lately.

For cereal.

toggletoggle post by KPANZER at Nov 27,2008 3:40pm
This is utter dogshit, and for the record I'm not some 'grimmer-than-thou' poser kvlt dickhead.I love 'The Cult Is Alive'. But this is a complete waste of time.I come from the era of punk/metal that DT claim to be celebrating and I don't see a shred of evidence of any sort of homage.You know what I see? A lazy motherfucker getting paid while passing off laziness as culture-BULLSHIT

toggletoggle post by Paul CNV at Nov 27,2008 4:03pm
I only listened to a couple of tracks so I can't give a solid opinion on this but the stuff I heard was really good. I think Dark Throne does whatever the fuck Dark Throne wants... Someone will always gripe about it.

toggletoggle post by rotivore at Nov 27,2008 4:08pm
I like almost all DT material.....and quite possibly the title track "under a funeral moon" is the best black metal song ever!

toggletoggle post by AMassturd at Nov 27,2008 9:58pm
the first couple of songs are ok, then it turns to shit.

toggletoggle post by MikeOvDecrepitvde at Nov 28,2008 7:20am
For me, Darkthrone has lost their aesthetic appeal over the years. Panzerfaust was their last great album, as it encompasses everything I've come to associate them with. The last few albums have had some decent music, but the lyrics and songtitles are beyond cheese. I know Darkthrone has always had a sense of humor (Fenriz is amazing at female vocals), but "Whiskey Funeral"? That title sounds like something Pantera would have come up with if they tried playing Black Metal. They're older now and just having fun, and I can respect that, but it's not really my thing.

toggletoggle post by BSV at Nov 29,2008 12:12am
Just got this and gave it a spin, fucking killer album! Definately my favorite one they've done this decade. The riffs and ideas more developed than F.O.A.D..

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 29,2008 10:42am
I see everyone's point on this CD and am torn.

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Nov 29,2008 6:43pm
MikeOvDecrepitvde said[orig][quote]
For me, Darkthrone has lost their aesthetic appeal over the years. Panzerfaust was their last great album, as it encompasses everything I've come to associate them with. The last few albums have had some decent music, but the lyrics and songtitles are beyond cheese. I know Darkthrone has always had a sense of humor (Fenriz is amazing at female vocals), but "Whiskey Funeral"? That title sounds like something Pantera would have come up with if they tried playing Black Metal. They're older now and just having fun, and I can respect that, but it's not really my thing.

Well said.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Dec 1,2008 12:59pm
Paul%20CNV said[orig][quote]
I think Dark Throne does whatever the fuck Dark Throne wants... Someone will always gripe about it.

that is exactly what they do, which is why i love them. they said it best on FOAD, "if you don't like it you can fuck off and die".

toggletoggle post by BSV at Dec 1,2008 1:07pm
Listening to this non stop. Fucking addicted to "Hanging Out in Haigar" and "Witch Ghetto".

toggletoggle post by aril at Dec 1,2008 1:15pm
Haven't heard this; but then again, I'm more of a fan of Darkthrone's stuff in the 90s.

toggletoggle post by inject-now at Dec 3,2008 5:26pm
just downloaded it a few days ago. it sucks ass as expected. they should stop with this goofy shite. it's almost embarassing.

download the new ofermod instead for some quality black/death metal.

http://link-protector.com/607022/

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Dec 3,2008 6:10pm
Ofermod is pretty cool. O like the Mysterion EP better. This one has some cool Morbid Angel-ish moments. Especially "Dreaming in the Veins of Kingu" or whatever it's called.

toggletoggle post by inject-now at Dec 3,2008 6:16pm
that ep/demo stuff is great too.

i like the morbid angel influences in this new one. one of the few swedish bands i care about.

toggletoggle post by Paul CNV at Dec 3,2008 10:58pm
It is evident that darkthrone has lost it's darkness and evil of it's glory days aka "A Blaze In the Northern Sky", for a more tongue and cheek approach to Metal but this does not mean it's terrible... The real old black metal, aka Venom has an obvious humorous side, "Teachers Pet" being a prime example. Does it make Venom a joke? All depends on the opinion... While I can appreciate the so called "ultra extermist evil" black metal bands, I can also appreciate a laugh amongst chums while drinking and spinning classic Metal records with what many would consider a "silly" aspect... Anyone that disagrees with me is a faggot by default and should be whipped like a mule... Tally Ho...

toggletoggle post by BSV at Dec 3,2008 11:41pm
I know Darkthrone aren't capable of making a masterpiece with every album but I fucking love the spirit of this. Buy the album, read the lyrics and feel the layout, it's pretty fucking refreshing.

toggletoggle post by inject at Dec 4,2008 8:00am
Paul%20CNV said[orig][quote]
It is evident that darkthrone has lost it's darkness and evil of it's glory days aka "A Blaze In the Northern Sky", for a more tongue and cheek approach to Metal but this does not mean it's terrible... The real old black metal, aka Venom has an obvious humorous side, "Teachers Pet" being a prime example. Does it make Venom a joke? All depends on the opinion... While I can appreciate the so called "ultra extermist evil" black metal bands, I can also appreciate a laugh amongst chums while drinking and spinning classic Metal records with what many would consider a "silly" aspect... Anyone that disagrees with me is a faggot by default and should be whipped like a mule... Tally Ho...

i know what you are saying but to me this album still sucks. i just think the quality of this album/music is very low. thats all. i would much rather listen to the old bands they are trying to pay tribute to. there are a million bands new and old i would rather spend my time on then new darkthrone. even the new napalm death is better than this. i love darkthrone up to and including "total death".

i don't mind humor in my black metal. prime example old impaled nazarene.

toggletoggle post by c.DeAD at Dec 4,2008 9:18am
Or Naked Whipper or Black Mass of Absu. Both of whom had humorous leanings but still had their own dark, engrossing sounds and didn't take themselves too seriously. Even Profanatica was ridiculous but they still had (and still do) the most evil riffing around at the time. I haven't heard Darkthrone since "The Cult is Alive" and I hated that record. It doesn't mean I won't give these last two records a shot, its just that I will never get around to it and I know I won't be missing too much as the last DT record I enjoyed was the eventual release of "Goatlord".

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Dec 4,2008 10:41am
Darkthrone is hit or miss with everyone on just about every album post Panzerfaust. the ones i didn't particularly care for were Sardonic Wrath and Hate Them, they weren't bad, but they weren't anything to write home about. i fucking love the era of Total Death, Ravishing Grimness, and Plaguewielder, Total Death being one of my favorite albums ever.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:10-pronged Endoplasmic Lamb
[default homepage] [print][7:55:34pm Apr 25,2024
load time 0.01668 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]