New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Home-Schooling Banned in CA by sacreligion on Sep 24,2008 4:18pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by sacreligion at Sep 24,2008 4:18pm
http://www.naturalnews.com/024287.html

"A primary purpose of the educational system is to train school children in good citizenship, patriotism and loyalty to the state and the nation," Croskey wrote.

^^Lulz. It's now illegal in CA for parents to try to help their kids from being indoctrinated.

"While the court claimed that it was merely clarifying an existing law and not making a new one, the decision leaves the parents of homeschooled children at risk of arrest and criminal prosecution."

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Sep 24,2008 4:18pm
awesome.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Sep 24,2008 4:31pm
so how do people feel about this?

My office mate has likened home-schooling to saying you are your own police department and saying you want police yourself. Anyone else think that makes sense?

toggletoggle post by sacreligion at Sep 24,2008 4:33pm
he's part of the conspiracy. kill him.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Sep 24,2008 4:46pm
i was home schooled once... it was boring as shit but i got to stay up late and sleep till noon.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Sep 24,2008 4:49pm
yeah.... i dunno, i feel like what your kids learn should be your decision..kinda... its a hard one. I guess i don't know, cause you have to think of worst case scenario, like parents teaching their kids... creationism.

...........shit.. i just typed three paragraphs and realized i wasnt sure what the hell i thought. Banning homeschooling feels wrong to me, but it seems like a very complicated issue. If they ban this, and decide the state has the power to dictate what a kid should learn in school, what are they gonna dictate about the kids life next? What music they can listen to?

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Sep 24,2008 6:20pm
Less home schooling = less weird kids

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Sep 24,2008 6:41pm
regulation. parents should report to a Super Intendent or some kind of higher power to show what they have been teaching the children.

toggletoggle post by mOe  at Sep 24,2008 6:44pm
I think this is pretty wrong. My best friend was homeschooled until 7th grade and he's a pretty swell dude. Booksmart as hell, too. This reminds me of what that guy who was friends with one of the Rockerfellers that Alex Jones interviewed said about women's lib. Basically he said it happened so it could get women in the workplace and kids out of home schooling so the state/government could be their parents. Basically bringing the kids closer to brainwashing. Fucked.

toggletoggle post by Mess at Sep 24,2008 7:32pm
i'm one of those fucked up examples of what homeschool does to kids and adults later down the road. DON'T DO IT! i'm a fucking retard.

toggletoggle post by grizloch   at Sep 25,2008 12:28am
I know two kids who were homeschooled, one is a religious nut, the other is a borderline alcoholic, both were forced to transition into public school in highschool because their parents werent smart enough to keep teaching them

homeschooling should be a parents right, but I really don't think the education system is brainwashing kids any more than their parents are, its called acculturation, they are learning the culture, and yes, I think that some people should not have children, let alone teach them a distorted version of right and wrong (people to the far right of our resident rightwing nutjob...name starts with h and ends in oser... or conversely to the far left of the rest of us libby libs...), but unfortunately that is their right

and I think its pretty clear that the great evil "powers that be" have less to do with the education than a lot of people would think, case and point in places like kentucky or kansas or whatever state it was where the common folk lobbied to get intelligent design taught in school alongside evolution, against the will of the teachers and school board

if it were up to me, I would require that to teach any child you would need to be certified to teach, which I'm pretty sure is all they have done in CA, enforced a law that was already on the books requiring the above, people can still homeschool, but only if they are qualified

toggletoggle post by sacreligion at Sep 25,2008 12:40am
it's a catch 22, though. not every teacher is going to be a good teacher and not every parent is going to be a bad teacher. i think there's absolutely no logical reason to ban homeschooling, it is the parent's choice(and the child's later, if they want to attend public school).

moe is right. it was thought of to fuck up families and promote assimilation.

toggletoggle post by HTR   at Sep 25,2008 12:54am
The constitution was intended to be a cage used to confine the powers of the federal government. The framers were pretty clear about this as evident of the 10th amendment, which says basically "if we forgot to put it in here, the government can't do it". There is absolutely no grounds in the US constitution for the basis of this nazi-ass judges decision, and if and when the suit goes before the supreme court it will be struck down.

toggletoggle post by grizloch   at Sep 25,2008 1:00am
"A California appeals court has ruled that homeschooling of children is illegal unless their parents have teaching credentials from the state."

they aren't banning homeschooling, they are making sure that there are fewer parents that are also bad teachers, under the current system the same cashier from Walmart who wouldnt be able to make change without a computer is teaching her 7 kids between shifts and beatings from her husband, which isn't promoting her childrens' unconventional intellectual development in a free society but perpetuating stunted intelligence and legion of idiots that will inherit the world, no doubt there are brilliant people homeschooling their kids, and those people should be able to meet the states requirements fairly easily

and a chauvinists perspective on womens' lib is no basis for social theory regarding the family, again, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, curriculums in schools are not written in stone or as regulated as you seem to think, and I don't know you, but based on your not recounting from your own homeschooling experience, I'd say you likely went to school, you don't seem very brainwashed

"A primary purpose of the educational system is to train school children in good citizenship, patriotism and loyalty to the state and the nation," Croskey wrote.

Crosky made a huge mistake in his defense of his position, he might be a crotchety old fart who loves his country and state (as I can assure you from my experience, Californians do love their state), but that is a very negligible part of a much more complex issue, and this news source has focused on it for the sole purpose of reporting a biased view of the story

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney nli at Sep 25,2008 1:01am
I can see the appeal of homeschooling, I learned a hell of a lot more about the world from shitty afternoons with a stack of National Geographics or some astronomy books than I did from seven years of public education. I must have been assigned Weisel's Night four or five times between 7th grade and my junior year of high school simply because the holocaust was a required unit in every world history or English class and the instructors had no continuity. It's also pretty hard to learn anything new about Boston's role in the Revolutionary War when you grew up on Bunker Hill.

But at the same time you'd think people would be thankful someone wants to take their shitbag kids off their hands for thirty hours out of the week. And it's not like there's a law against taking your kids to educational places or events when they're not in school.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Sep 25,2008 7:39am
i definitely think its a good idea to make sure that parents who are homeschooling have teaching credentials. i can't believe that this isn't already a law.

toggletoggle post by nick327 at Sep 25,2008 7:50am
My sister home schools both my nieces, and at first I was against it. But it's actually working out really well, and my oldest niece is smart as hell.

The main thing is to join a home schooling group, don't just do it on your own. There are regulations and tests to make sure the child is where they're supposed to be academically, plus they go out and do lots of hands on stuff as a group so the kids can socialize.

I agree with an above post that sometimes you learn a lot more reading on your own than you ever will in a school, which after 7th grade or so is all about socializing and less about learning.

toggletoggle post by KillerKadoogan   at Sep 25,2008 8:42am
High school should not be mandatory.

toggletoggle post by corpus_colostomy at Sep 25,2008 9:12am
sacreligion said[orig][quote]
http://www.naturalnews.com/024287.html

"

toggletoggle post by eddie  at Sep 25,2008 10:17am
Yeti said[orig][quote]
i definitely think its a good idea to make sure that parents who are homeschooling have teaching credentials. i can't believe that this isn't already a law.

if you can read and write you have teaching credentials, for almost all of high school.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:type...click...think...edit...
[default homepage] [print][2:21:18pm Apr 19,2024
load time 0.02315 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]