New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> ATTN Comcast Internet Users... by xanonymousx on Sep 20,2008 11:51am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by xanonymousx at Sep 20,2008 11:51am edited Sep 20,2008 10:21pm
Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Customer,

We appreciate your business and strive to provide you with the best online experience possible. One of the ways we do this is through our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP). The AUP outlines acceptable use of our service as well as steps we take to protect our customers from things that can negatively impact their experience online. This policy has been in place for many years and we update it periodically to keep it current with our customers' use of our service.

On October 1, 2008, we will post an updated AUP that will go into effect at that time.

In the updated AUP, we clarify that monthly data (or bandwidth) usage of more than 250 Gigabytes (GB) is the specific threshold that defines excessive use of our service. We have an excessive use policy because a fraction of one percent of our customers use such a disproportionate amount of bandwidth every month that they may degrade the online experience of other customers.

250 GB/month is an extremely large amount of bandwidth and it's very likely that your monthly data usage doesn't even come close to that amount. In fact, the threshold is approximately 100 times greater than the typical or median residential customer usage, which is 2 to 3 GB/month. To put it in perspective, to reach 250 GB of data usage in one month a customer would have to do any one of the following:

* Send more than 50 million plain text emails (at 5 KB/email);
* Download 62,500 songs (at 4 MB/song); or
* Download 125 standard definition movies (at 2 GB/movie).

And online gamers should know that even the heaviest multi- or single-player gaming activity would not typically come close to this threshold over the course of a month.

In addition to modifying the excessive use policy, the updated AUP contains other clarifications of terms concerning reporting violations, newsgroups, and network management. To read some helpful FAQs, please visit http://help.comcast.net/content/faq/Frequently-Asked-Questions-about-Excessive-Use.

Thank you again for choosing Comcast as your high-speed Internet provider.

What is this?

toggletoggle post by DomesticTerror at Sep 20,2008 12:09pm
it's their attempt to stop piracy.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Sep 20,2008 12:14pm
QUIT USING WHAT YOU PAY FOR

WE'RE ALMOST NOT MAKING TOO MUCH MONEY

toggletoggle post by thuringwethil at Sep 20,2008 12:20pm
whenever someone tries to log on to their comcast email at the library I work for, it NEVER works.

toggletoggle post by fleshfries at Sep 20,2008 12:25pm
Basically they're capping our bandwidth each month. It's intended for the people that abuse it (the people who download movies and apps every 2 minutes).

toggletoggle post by Phrozenspite  at Sep 20,2008 1:37pm
they were brought under investigation i think because they hadn't disclosed the caps to their customers when they claimed unlimited access so now they're stating at what point they can shut you down

toggletoggle post by Phrozenspite  at Sep 20,2008 1:39pm
I've heard all the arguments about it being a slippery slope and they'll just lower the cap... but we'll see... 250gb a month is generous, I game, I torrent, I'm on DC++ and I have to try fairly hard to get above 120 gigs or so a month

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Sep 20,2008 2:41pm
if I back up rttp, im over it.

toggletoggle post by oscarct  at Sep 20,2008 3:00pm
xanonymousx said[orig][quote]
Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Customer,

We appreciate your business and strive to provide you with the best online experience possible. One of the ways we do this is through our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP). The AUP outlines acceptable use of our service as well as steps we take to protect our customers from things that can negatively impact their experience online. This policy has been in place for many years and we update it periodically to keep it current with our customers' use of our service.

On October 1, 2008, we will post an updated AUP that will go into effect at that time.

In the updated AUP, we clarify that monthly data (or bandwidth) usage of more than 250 Gigabytes (GB) is the specific threshold that defines excessive use of our service. We have an excessive use policy because a fraction of one percent of our customers use such a disproportionate amount of bandwidth every month that they may degrade the online experience of other customers.

250 GB/month is an extremely large amount of bandwidth and it's very likely that your monthly data usage doesn't even come close to that amount. In fact, the threshold is approximately 100 times greater than the typical or median residential customer usage, which is 2 to 3 GB/month. To put it in perspective, to reach 250 GB of data usage in one month a customer would have to do any one of the following:

* Send more than 50 million plain text emails (at 5 KB/email);
* Download 62,500 songs (at 4 MB/song); or
* Download 125 standard definition movies (at 2 GB/movie).

And online gamers should know that even the heaviest multi- or single-player gaming activity would not typically come close to this threshold over the course of a month.

In addition to modifying the excessive use policy, the updated AUP contains other clarifications of terms concerning reporting violations, newsgroups, and network management. To read some helpful FAQs, please visit http://help.comcast.net/content/faq/Frequently-Asked-Questions-about-Excessive-Use.

Thank you again for choosing Comcast as your high-speed Internet provider.

What is this?

I have comcast internet, never seen this.

toggletoggle post by NoodleFace at Sep 20,2008 3:28pm edited Sep 20,2008 3:29pm
250gb/month is actually really good for almost 98% of the comcast userbase. What they're trying to do is kill those that bittorrent/seed constantly I think.

They're already losing a ton of money to Verizon Fios, I think this is just going to make them lose more.

Edit: Oh, and yes. This is basically laying the foundation for them to lower the bandwidth even more later on.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Sep 22,2008 4:44pm
I'm moving to where there's no FIOS. I'm looking up prices for comcast. Christ. They want to charge $60/month for 6mb down 384kbps up interweb. 384Kbit up! That's fucking terrible.

I pay like $45/month for 2mbit up with FIOS.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Sep 22,2008 5:12pm
Trying to keep a /b/rother down.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Sep 22,2008 5:47pm
menstrual_sweatpants_disco said[orig][quote]
I'm moving to where there's no FIOS. I'm looking up prices for comcast. Christ. They want to charge $60/month for 6mb down 384kbps up interweb. 384Kbit up! That's fucking terrible.

Where are you moving to? I'm in Wakefield (Well, not right now. I'm at school and this shit is like T3 or some shit) and have FiOS.

toggletoggle post by porphyria at Sep 22,2008 6:31pm
250gb upload + download limit?

or just 250gb download limit?

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Sep 22,2008 6:33pm
BUSH LIED BANDWIDTH DIED

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Sep 22,2008 6:42pm
what I read said download and upload combined.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Sep 22,2008 6:42pm
This thread looks fucked up.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Sep 22,2008 6:59pm
Martins said[orig][quote]
menstrual_sweatpants_disco said[orig][quote]

Where are you moving to? I'm in Wakefield (Well, not right now. I'm at school and this shit is like T3 or some shit) and have FiOS.

Medford, son.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Sep 22,2008 7:04pm
Why? That's fucking two towns over from me. Medord sucks. But at least we can hang out <3.

toggletoggle post by sxealex gayrage at Sep 22,2008 7:45pm
dude fios rulessssss i have it in 2 locations XD XD

toggletoggle post by The Revealer at Sep 22,2008 10:40pm
Nah, it's not about piracy.

Comcast is a cable company, who also sells internet access and digital phone. If you have unlimited bandwidth, you can use other services (ie Joost, Skype, etc) to watch TV and make phone calls using the bandwidth you've already paid for. With those alternatives, it makes it especially hard for Comcast to charge you extra to provide those services for you.

I mean, it's not as big an issue now. But down the road, more and more people are going to be downloading larger and larger multimedia files. That's been the trend. HD downloads anyone?

250gb sounds like a lot.. but not long from now, it'll get harder and harder to stay under that cap. Comcast is preparing to pick our pockets hardcore.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Sep 23,2008 8:25am
Either way, they're going to rape my wallet now while I suffer theit slow speeds. Hopefully FIOS comes soon.

And Martins lets hang. You can show me where all the playgrounds are in Medford. We can pick up some dates.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:you are signing your life away
[default homepage] [print][7:31:16am Apr 23,2024
load time 0.01352 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]