New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Doom metal appreciation thread by Hoser on Sep 3,2008 9:26pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Hoser at Sep 3,2008 9:26pm
There we go....

I sincerely appreciate My Dying Bride and Agalloch.

2 of the greatest bands in the WHOLE world.

If you disagree I will post more political banter simply to start a massive fire under the toes of the weak minded liberal inside all of you.

toggletoggle post by BenFo at Sep 3,2008 9:29pm
Doom is utterly wonderful. Neck in neck with melodic death as my favorite genre.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Sep 3,2008 9:31pm
Straight up doom or funerallllll doom?

I love Agalloch. I've never listened to My Dying Bride. Any recommendations?

One thing I hate about the modern wave of doom metal is that most of them seem to be Black Sabbath clones.

toggletoggle post by BenFo at Sep 3,2008 9:38pm
Martins said[orig][quote]

One thing I hate about the modern wave of doom metal is that most of them seem to be Black Sabbath clones.

Yea that shit is usually pretty lame. I do like some sludge / stoner shit, but the melodic Euro shit is where its at.

Check out...

Saturnus (SICK!)

Hanging Garden

Swallow the Sun

Ask for more if you don't kill yourself.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney nli at Sep 3,2008 9:43pm
Planet AIDS

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Sep 3,2008 9:47pm
Wow, I only listened to literally 3 seconds of the second song on Saturnus' myspace and I'm already hooked. I can't dl that shit right now but I sure as hell am going to.

toggletoggle post by Hoser at Sep 3,2008 9:48pm
Martins said[orig][quote]

My Dying Bride is fucking SICK.

One of my best pals in the whole world introduced me to MDB.....Dan from Shroud of Bereavement.

My Dying Bride....absolutely is AMAZING. Try the album "A Line of Deathless Kings." My thoughts are that if you sincerely love doom....you will ADORE this.

toggletoggle post by MikeOfDecrepitude at Sep 3,2008 10:09pm
Skepticism, Evoken, and Shape of Despair make my life better.

toggletoggle post by ConquerTheBaphomet  at Sep 3,2008 10:11pm
I wouldn't consider Agalloch a Doom Metal band exclusively. I would put them under the Progressive/Folk/Doom category I guess.

Also, check out:

Officium Triste
Draconian (some Gothic elements)
Virgin Black (some Gothic elements)
Nortt
Novembers Doom
Paramaecium

toggletoggle post by ellesarusrex  at Sep 3,2008 10:15pm
<3 <3 <3

toggletoggle post by ellesarusrex  at Sep 3,2008 10:38pm
MikeOfDecrepitude said[orig][quote]
Skepticism, Evoken, and Shape of Despair make my life better.

all three i fucking love.. more importantly my dying bride is one of my fav bands ever... but other than that heres some other shit.. in relation

electric wizard
pelican
the obsessed
esoteric
isole
om
sleep
katatonia
rapture

toggletoggle post by ConquerTheBaphomet  at Sep 3,2008 11:03pm
ellesarusrex said[orig][quote]

pelican
om
katatonia

buttsecks?

toggletoggle post by ellesarusrex  at Sep 3,2008 11:07pm
sunn and earth...boris. and obv neurosis.. this is prob my fav thread ever got me zoned out eating pretzels in my pjs loving my itunes.

toggletoggle post by DJ DEATH at Sep 3,2008 11:12pm
All the above (Sunn, Boris, Electric Wizard), dont forget WORSHIP (from france/canada). Last LP before dooooms day is massive funeral doom.

toggletoggle post by ellesarusrex  at Sep 3,2008 11:20pm
i wanna play external harddrive music swapping with people. lets get it done.

toggletoggle post by BenFo at Sep 3,2008 11:30pm
Cannot forget Rapture. Easily one of my favorites. I'm probably the only retard on earth with a Rapture tattoo.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Sep 3,2008 11:34pm
yay rapture.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Sep 3,2008 11:35pm
no one mentioned old paradise lost

toggletoggle post by ellesarusrex  at Sep 3,2008 11:35pm
hahaha whoa. thats intense.. rapture is sick.. i almost got a job at a salon called rapture once i interviewed bc of the name.. place sucked. it was purple

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Sep 3,2008 11:35pm
smoke weed

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney nli at Sep 4,2008 12:50am
Overmars
The Arm and Sword of a Bastard God
Khanate

toggletoggle post by madoakdevin nli at Sep 4,2008 2:07am
wasn't this thread supposed to pop up like ehhh 3 years ago when everyone crossed over from metalcore to hydrahead and made doom another flooded stale genre?

toggletoggle post by madoakdevin nli at Sep 4,2008 2:08am
i can't wait for someone to wah wah wah over the fact i dropped hydrahead in a doom thread, but whatever.

toggletoggle post by NuclearWinter at Sep 4,2008 2:28am
I'm not huge into doom metal, but Cirith Ungol fucking rules.

toggletoggle post by Cap‘n America at Sep 4,2008 6:43am
(traditional)
Orodruin
Saint Vitus
Witchcraft
Planet Gemini
Pentagram

(doom death)
Daylight Dies
Novembers Doom
Loss
Shroud Of Bereavement
(early) Katatonia

toggletoggle post by GodlessRob at Sep 4,2008 6:53am
Wow no one said Candlemass. They are 1 of the progenitors of doom. Now I really feel old. If you haven't, check out Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, Nightfall, Ancient Dreams, Tales of Creation

toggletoggle post by BenFo at Sep 4,2008 7:00am
GodlessRob said[orig][quote]
Wow no one said Candlemass. They are 1 of the progenitors of doom. Now I really feel old. If you haven't, check out Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, Nightfall, Ancient Dreams, Tales of Creation

Not old. Just wise.

How Like A Winter is pretty sick. Mourning Beloveth (holy slow). The Sins of Thy Beloved. Pyogenesis before they got really gay. Why Angels Fall.

toggletoggle post by GodlessRob at Sep 4,2008 7:11am
How Like A Winter - dego doom at it's best (don't worry I can say the "d" word cause I am one!)

Mourning Beloveth - mick doom, I've only heard the sullen sulcus, good but yea, holy slow
the other 3 I have heard of but haven't heard. gonna check them out.

toggletoggle post by MikeofDecrepitude at Sep 4,2008 7:32am edited Sep 4,2008 9:47am
madoakdevin%20nli said[orig][quote]
wasn't this thread supposed to pop up like ehhh 3 years ago when everyone crossed over from metalcore to hydrahead and made doom another flooded stale genre?

Yeah, because we all know Hydrahead spearheaded the Doom Metal genre. They're not even a Doom label. Stephen O'Malley released Khanate's first two albums on Southern Lord and then Aaron Turner decides he wants to put out Capture and Release; subsequently trying to turn Hydrahead into Southern Lord and Battle Kommand Records.

The bands people have listed in this thread have nothing to do with the Neurosis/ISIS clone genre that popped up. I don't see current or former metalcore kids rocking out to Katatonia's Brave Murder Day, diSEMBOWELMENT's Trascendence into the Peripheral, Corrupted's El Mundo Frio, or Mournful Congregation's The Monad of Creation....

Guess that's just me

Much needed edit of this post: "TUNE LOW - PLAY SLOW" - Kirk Windstein

toggletoggle post by oscarct  at Sep 4,2008 8:41am
ive been listeing to electric wizard and weedeater non stop now for weeks

toggletoggle post by C.DEaD at Sep 4,2008 9:02am
Twat the fuck, no love for Winter? They the best doom/death band of all time, hands down.

Wormphlegm
Senthil
Funeralium
Worship
Corrupted

And yes, listen to My Dying Bride up until that last horrible album "Like Gods of the Sun". Album grinds my gears.

toggletoggle post by MikeofDecrepitude at Sep 4,2008 9:10am
Winter's Into Darkness and the Eternal Frost ep are grim.

toggletoggle post by darkwor at Sep 4,2008 9:11am
Solitude Aeturnus and Krux for some killer traditional doom. Nortt for some blaaack funeral dooom. And I have to mention Saturnus again...yesss....

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Sep 4,2008 9:12am
THORR'S HAMMER
BURNING WITCH
EYEHATEGOD
UNEARTHLY TRANCE
IRE
OLD MAN GLOOM
CEPHALIC CARNAGE (HALLS OF AMENTI.....it's an album with one - 19 minute long - doom song, heavy as fuck, with a little of the melodic bullshit mixed in)
and of course, if wasn't for BLACK SABBATH.....most of the best doom bands would not exist.

fuck all that melodic euro shit.
i like the noisey drone shit
sabbath type sludge/stoner shit
and the extrememely heavy shit

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Sep 4,2008 9:13am
extrememely????
my god i suck

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Sep 4,2008 9:14am
ohhhh.
almost forgot two of the best

GRIEF & NOOTHGRUSH!!

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Sep 4,2008 10:00am
i mentioned how like a winter in the gothic whatever thread.

toggletoggle post by ancient master at Sep 4,2008 10:20am
acid king
cathedral
orange goblin
celestial season
pagan altar
place of skulls
spirit caravan
ramesses
skullflower
solace
WARHORSE!!!
witchfinder general

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Sep 4,2008 10:34am
diSEMBOWELMENT

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Sep 4,2008 10:34am
orgymf@work said[orig][quote]
THORR'S HAMMER

hell yeah, Dommedagsnatt is killer.

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Sep 4,2008 10:35am
Yeti said[orig][quote]
THORR'S HAMMER

without a doubt.
i can't go more than two weeks without listening to it.
so heavy

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Sep 4,2008 10:35am
ancient%20master said[orig][quote]
WARHORSE!!!

love these guys. Worcester doom!

toggletoggle post by madoakdevin nli at Sep 4,2008 10:43am
there is no way you can tell me that some of the names that popped up in this thread weren't helped out by bands on hydrahead. that's all i was saying.

Funny that in 2001 I saw kids wearing XdickheadX and whatnot on their shirts and in 2003 I see the same kids are wearing entombed, sleep, om, etc shirts. hydrahead spearheaded that quite a bit.

there's the whole other side of doom where metal kids got into doom from REAL metal, but those bands are more obscure/elite...whatever term you want to use. they never gained the popularity that some of the bands who were affiliated with hydrahead (ie touring with hydrahead bands, splits, side projects, etc) got.

but i got the wah wah wah i was expecting and from a person with less X's in the username. cool! 420 go!

MikeofDecrepitude said[orig][quote]

Yeah, because we all know Hydrahead spearheaded the Doom Metal genre. They're not even a Doom label. Stephen O'Malley released Khanate's first two albums on Southern Lord and then Aaron Turner decides he wants to put out Capture and Release; subsequently trying to turn Hydrahead into Southern Lord and Battle Kommand Records.

The bands people have listed in this thread have nothing to do with the Neurosis/ISIS clone genre that popped up. I don't see current or former metalcore kids rocking out to Katatonia's Brave Murder Day, diSEMBOWELMENT's Trascendence into the Peripheral, Corrupted's El Mundo Frio, or Mournful Congregation's The Monad of Creation....

Guess that's just me

Much needed edit of this post: "TUNE LOW - PLAY SLOW" - Kirk Windstein

toggletoggle post by Mikeofdecrepitude at Sep 4,2008 11:01am edited Sep 4,2008 11:03am
"madoakdevin: there is no way you can tell me that some of the names that popped up in this thread weren't helped out by bands on hydrahead. that's all i was saying.

Funny that in 2001 I saw kids wearing XdickheadX and whatnot on their shirts and in 2003 I see the same kids are wearing entombed, sleep, om, etc shirts. hydrahead spearheaded that quite a bit.

there's the whole other side of doom where metal kids got into doom from REAL metal, but those bands are more obscure/elite...whatever term you want to use. they never gained the popularity that some of the bands who were affiliated with hydrahead (ie touring with hydrahead bands, splits, side projects, etc) got.

but i got the wah wah wah i was expecting and from a person with less X's in the username. cool! 420 go!"

Wah wah, haha. I thought this was a forum where people discuss and debate? Doom has been around for a long time, and if you count Sabbath than it's pretty much the earliest form of Metal. With any genre you're going to have kids getting into other bands through other musicians/acts. Exposure happens. I just think your approach was like saying Metal in general has now become "stale" because the "nu" fad has faded and now major labels are trying to once again cater to more traditional metal acts. I agree that Neurosis and ISIS helped kids get into other forms of "art" metal, or whatever the hell you want to call it. Same way bands like Fear Factory, Slayer, etc got kids to venture into other areas of underground metal. But to credit Hydrahead as the illuminators of the Doom genre just because you suddenly see more than 2 people wearing a Sleep shirt who are under the age of like 30 is going a bit far. You're saying this thread should have been posted three years ago and Doom metal has become a stale genre? Doom existed before 3 years ago and will continue on.

I mean, weren't you one of those "Xenter whatever hereX" kids once too?

toggletoggle post by madoakdevin nli at Sep 4,2008 11:02am
i also saw alot of those kids i mention at ocean shows back in the same era. but what do i know? i'm too fashionable for doom as i was once told.

toggletoggle post by madoakdevin nli at Sep 4,2008 11:03am
never said i wasn't. i can talk shit on myself, too.

toggletoggle post by Mikeofdecrepitude at Sep 4,2008 11:05am
Well why is it a matter of talking shit on kids? If they liked shitty music at one point and now they're into sick bands like the above mentioned, thats a good thing. Some kids are poseurs and claim to like music they really don't just to fit in but I don't think that's the majority of cases. People wake up.

toggletoggle post by madoakdevin nli at Sep 4,2008 11:08am
i wasn't talking shit on kids. i was talking shit to spark someone to argue with me on a messageboard. you were the only one who replied.

toggletoggle post by Mikeofdecrepitude at Sep 4,2008 11:15am
I see...

toggletoggle post by madoakdevin nli at Sep 4,2008 11:22am
i even threw the wah wah wah post in there to urge someone to say something, too. it worked. i expected a moron i see at great scott on one of those nights where I make no money to respond, not someone who gets my sense my humor and laughs with me about it on a daily basis.

toggletoggle post by Mikeofdecrepitude at Sep 4,2008 11:35am
i even threw the wah wah wah post in there to urge someone to say something, too. it worked. i expected a moron i see at great scott on one of those nights where I make no money to respond, not someone who gets my sense my humor and laughs with me about it on a daily basis.

Haha, yeah, but I'm just countering the post you had made, I didn't think it was anything personal. I didn't know you were just seeking to annoy someone, I thought that was your honest opinion, because you've said stuff like that before. I responded because I like metal discussions and I disagreed with you, as someone who enjoys Doom. I'm not like "#@$$@!! Fucking kid hates Doom, let's lynch him!!"

toggletoggle post by C.DEaD at Sep 4,2008 11:52am
Black Mass of Absu

toggletoggle post by Mikeofdecrepitude at Sep 4,2008 1:07pm
Yeti said[orig][quote]
THORR'S HAMMER

I always thought that album was a little overrated, but it's still pretty cool.
Burning Witch got it right.

toggletoggle post by ZJD   at Sep 4,2008 1:13pm
I personally like the more obviously Sabbath influenced doom much more than the melodic death type doom stuff.

No mention yet for Yob.

Also, I think tons of bands listed in here aren't doom.

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Sep 4,2008 3:30pm
Mikeofdecrepitude said[orig][quote]
Yeti said[orig][quote]
THORR'S HAMMER

I always thought that album was a little overrated, but it's still pretty cool.
Burning Witch got it right.

i love that fucking album....but i will admit, Burning Witch was a little bit better

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney nli at Sep 4,2008 3:38pm
ZJD said[orig][quote]
I personally like the more obviously Sabbath influenced doom much more than the melodic death type doom stuff.

No mention yet for Yob.

Also, I think tons of bands listed in here aren't doom.

Was listening to Yob all morning in the car, also been listening to Middian heavily.

toggletoggle post by aril at Sep 4,2008 3:51pm
I really can't get into /can't stand agalloch's stuff after Pale Folklore. Sorry folks.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Sep 4,2008 4:53pm
aril said[orig][quote]
I really can't get into /can't stand agalloch's stuff after Pale Folklore. Sorry folks.
i like all their stuff, but the new one is probably their worst.

toggletoggle post by aril at Sep 4,2008 4:55pm
to be quite honest, I love the atmosphere in pale folklore, and I don't think the others quite match it.
I also think a number of their songs sound predictable and generic at parts.
but that's okay, I know a lot of people like it, no need to argue here.

toggletoggle post by DIIIIIIIIICK at Sep 4,2008 5:40pm
Buried at sea, not straight "doom metal" but one of the best "art metal" bands if thats what its supposed to be called. coughassholescough

toggletoggle post by BenFo @ School at Sep 4,2008 5:46pm
Sabbath influenced doom is alright. Depends on the band, usually. Usually its crappy. I'd rather listen to doom with nature / romantic / winter influences than marijuana induced comas.

But that's just me.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Sep 4,2008 5:52pm
i prefer the "gothic" doom (my dying bride, paradise lost, old katatonia) to the "stoner" doom, but i like the stoner stuff as well.

toggletoggle post by sinofangels-ray  at Sep 4,2008 5:59pm
THE WIZARD nuff said!!

toggletoggle post by BlackoutRick at Sep 4,2008 6:47pm
No one said Type O?

toggletoggle post by BlackoutRick at Sep 4,2008 6:47pm
Or Acid Bath.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney nli at Sep 4,2008 8:22pm
DIIIIIIIIICK said[orig][quote]
Buried at sea, not straight "doom metal" but one of the best "art metal" bands if thats what its supposed to be called. coughassholescough

They'd be much better if they let Imperial dedicate all their songs to ONE WHO HAS OUTLASTED YOU ALL, ONE WHO IS ELITE

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Sep 4,2008 8:44pm
BlackoutRick said[orig][quote]
Or Acid Bath.
acid bath is doom? i never thought of them that way.

toggletoggle post by Hoser at Sep 4,2008 8:48pm
dreadkill said[orig][quote]
Or Acid Bath.

Ummmmm...me neither.

Listening to MDB right now.

toggletoggle post by ZJD   at Sep 4,2008 9:27pm

CEPHALIC CARNAGE (HALLS OF AMENTI.....it's an album with one - 19 minute long - doom song, heavy as fuck, with a little of the melodic bullshit mixed in)

qft

Or Acid Bath.

me either, but the same goes for tons of bands in this thread.

Acid Bath
Sleep
Eyehategod
Noothgrush

Not doom, as far as I'm concerned.

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Sep 5,2008 9:49am
sorry, i'm an internet lingo-tard....
qft means?

also, doom is a loose term that pretty much covers extremely slow death metal, melodic doom, sludge, dirge, stoner rock...etc.

so eyehategod and noothgrush, certainly are doom.

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Sep 5,2008 9:50am
No one said Type O?

i hope that's a joke

type-o is not doom.
also, they suck.
type-o negatives fan base = females, goths, faggots, mall kids

period

toggletoggle post by aril at Sep 5,2008 9:54am
acid bath, doom? what?
they have some doom influence but they're definitely stoner/sludge way more than they are doom.
I saw dax riggs at the middle east last year and his new stuff doesn't even compare to acid bath at all.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Sep 5,2008 10:38am
No one said Type O?

i hope that's a joke

type-o is not doom.
also, they suck.

period

looks like someone had some confusing emotions when they saw the Playgirl layout.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Sep 5,2008 10:41am
No one said Type O?

Type O Negative is a different kind of doom. they are pretty much the only ones who play their style. Prelude to Agony is one of the best doomy songs ever written. my favorite thing about them is how they write the slowest, most crushing riffs, ie. Xero Tolerance.

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Sep 5,2008 10:43am
no....they jut suck.
and no, i never saw the playgirl spread....although your knowledge of it proves my theory that their male fans are all gay

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Sep 5,2008 10:44am
hahahahaha best band of all time.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Sep 5,2008 10:44am
and its comments like that that re-affirm why.

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Sep 5,2008 10:46am
explain how exactly that is.
but first, take the penis out of your mouth

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Sep 5,2008 10:51am
well, they write the best music on Earth. that pretty much sums it up. and i can't do that, its so tasty.

toggletoggle post by MikeofDecrepitude at Sep 5,2008 10:51am
DIIIIIIIIICK said[orig][quote]

If Buried At Sea's Migration isn't Doom then I don't know what is. That album is slow, crushing, and cathartic; basically a perfect example of what Doom is all about. Unbelievable guitar tone as well. Too bad the last ep they put out wasn't up to par.

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Sep 5,2008 10:52am
Yeti said[orig][quote]
well, they write the best music on Earth. that pretty much sums it up. and i can't do that, its so tasty.

hahahahahahaha
amazing

toggletoggle post by Cap‘n America at Sep 5,2008 11:00am
No one said Type O?

i hope that's a joke

type-o is not doom.
also, they suck.

period

Mall kids aside, World Coming down is a doom album.

toggletoggle post by MikeofDecrepitude at Sep 5,2008 11:02am
qft means?

also, doom is a loose term that pretty much covers extremely slow death metal, melodic doom, sludge, dirge, stoner rock...etc.

so eyehategod and noothgrush, certainly are doom.

Doom conveys bleak emotions, and illustrates the burdens and dissatisfaction with every day life. Eyehategod and Noothgrush both create audio portraits of social and existential crisis'.

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Sep 5,2008 11:05am
cap'n - no it isn't

mike o.d. - i repeat doom is a loose term that pretty much covers extremely slow death metal, melodic doom, sludge, dirge, stoner rock...etc.

regardless of lyrical content.'

yes, bands like grief who growl and scream about destroying the human race, and how much they hate life are a more depressing version of doom....but is NOT the only definition

toggletoggle post by MikeofDecrepitude at Sep 5,2008 11:10am edited Sep 5,2008 11:11am
Yeah, I just felt like commenting on both bands lyrical and emotional content. Anyone who's heard either band knows that they play slow, filthy and tormented Doom (even punk/crusty at points). Like I said, Doom is cathartic, and a band like Eyehategod has that in spades.

toggletoggle post by ancient master at Sep 5,2008 11:15am
Doom is not doom though

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Sep 5,2008 11:31am
true....but a good band they are

toggletoggle post by MikeofDecrepitude at Sep 5,2008 11:38am
Did someone mention Doom from the U.K.? Crust/punk kings.

toggletoggle post by ancient master at Sep 5,2008 11:51am
did the video game rip off their logo of something?

toggletoggle post by C.DEaD at Sep 5,2008 12:37pm
Mother of god enough with all the genre masturbation. If its good, then fucking listen to it and stop trying to figure out what gay genre it is to justify why you like it. Its gay and annoying to read.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Sep 5,2008 12:52pm
i guess in a way you are right orgy, it would be more fitting for Type O to be "gloom" instead of doom. but i will not remove the cocks from my orifices.

toggletoggle post by ellesarusrex  at Sep 5,2008 12:53pm
im glad im a girl so i dont have to feel ashamed about the internet thinking type o neg sucks..

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Sep 5,2008 12:57pm
no shame here. i've been called gay so many times for saying they are my favorite band of all time. thats half the fun.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Sep 5,2008 1:02pm
doom or not type o rules.

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Sep 5,2008 1:58pm
Yeti said[orig][quote]
i guess in a way you are right orgy, it would be more fitting for Type O to be "gloom" instead of doom. but i will not remove the cocks from my orifices.

OH YOU ARE SUCH A WHORE!

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Sep 5,2008 4:54pm
i love type o. i consider them to be too unique to label.

toggletoggle post by i can‘t believe this crap. grow up guys at Sep 5,2008 4:55pm
Ô_Ô

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Sep 5,2008 5:05pm
hey, that's MY face

toggletoggle post by Hoser at Sep 5,2008 6:54pm
Whoever just turned me on to Rapture....I love you. Sick fucking band. In less than 24 hours, I own everythin that they have ever recorded.

toggletoggle post by |an  at Sep 6,2008 10:37am
rapture ftw. got shitfaced with those guys last year at their concert, and i saw aleksi again at anathema in helsinki last month. also check out KYRCK (kursk) from oulu, I saw them a few weeks ago at a fest there.

toggletoggle post by quintessence  at Sep 6,2008 10:40am
GOATSNAKE.

toggletoggle post by thegreatspaldino   at Sep 6,2008 12:49pm edited Sep 6,2008 12:49pm
DESIRE. listen to them. seriously. Dan has their cd i believe. ask him about them.

toggletoggle post by |an  at Sep 6,2008 2:16pm
btw, in the vein of rapture but a bit heavier: SLUMBER - fallout

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Sep 6,2008 7:18pm
|an said[orig][quote]
rapture ftw. got shitfaced with those guys last year at their concert, and i saw aleksi again at anathema in helsinki last month. also check out KYRCK (kursk) from oulu, I saw them a few weeks ago at a fest there.
i was waiting for you to join this thread. kypck is awesome (sami lopakka from sentenced on guitar with sentenced's producer on drums).

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Sep 6,2008 7:19pm
|an said[orig][quote]
btw, in the vein of rapture but a bit heavier: SLUMBER - fallout
i love slumber. i wish they'd come out with something new.

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Sep 9,2008 9:51am
qft means?

nobody ever answered this

toggletoggle post by ConquerTheBaphomet  at Sep 9,2008 10:33am
Quoted For Truth

or

Quit Fucking Talking

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Sep 9,2008 10:35am
ahh

toggletoggle post by MikeofDecrepitude at Sep 9,2008 11:07am
C.DEaD said[orig][quote]
Mother of god enough with all the genre masturbation. If its good, then fucking listen to it and stop trying to figure out what gay genre it is to justify why you like it. Its gay and annoying to read.

Genre classification helps people find similar bands they like to listen to. I don't see how identifying a band with a particular genre "justifies" your enjoyment of any band. Within all genres of music, there's good and bad. I judge my liking of a band on their songwriting and aesthetics. I'd agree there are some artists out there who cannot be pigeonholed, but I don't see the need to have a conniption fit over people that want to discuss and label music to their particular liking (especially on a forum). For example, a band I might consider Doom, someone else may not. That doesn't make either of us wrong, it's all pretty objective. When people start bitching and crying about it, then it's gay...

toggletoggle post by ConquerTheBaphomet  at Sep 9,2008 11:11am
Genre classification is a big part of Metal and it's important. People that hate it when bands are classified don't have a grasp of their musical tastes.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Sep 9,2008 12:42pm
i see what C. Dead is getting at. of course genre classification is necessary, but i don't think he's attacking genre classification, he's talking about how something like "doom" encompasses an array of styles, and above orgymf was saying that Type O isn't doom, when they are, just a different style. but i do agree when he says "if its good, then fucking listen to it". thats how i feel. it isn't necessary to like anything, like what you want to like.

toggletoggle post by MikeofDecrepitude at Sep 9,2008 1:51pm
Exactly, that's why I said it's all objective, and what's Doom to me might not be to someone else. Type O is a good example. I'd personally classify "Slow, Deep, and Hard" as punk/doom album (doom of the sabbath variety). I know a lot of people denounce Type O as a doom band, and they tend to get lumped in with the gothic genre. Type O is diverse, they've mixed (classic)doom, punk, and even pop together. And like I said, there's quality and garbage in all genres; and people should be able to discuss and debate if they'd like, without anyone getting weepy about shit.

toggletoggle post by c.DeAd at Sep 9,2008 1:54pm
To nitpick is gay, thats all I was getting at.

toggletoggle post by BlackoutRick at Sep 9,2008 9:09pm
i love type o. i consider them to be too unique to label.

This sums it all up. Reading this thread, I can't help but notice that all of the posters are hung up on labeling bands. I read a review of Pagan Terrorism Tactics in a fanzine and they said it was a good doom record. I label Acid Bath as "Kickass." Type O definitely is doom. I've heard them called romantic doom. But again I call them Kickass.

toggletoggle post by Hoser at Sep 9,2008 9:10pm
I love Type O too, man.

toggletoggle post by Hoser at Sep 9,2008 9:10pm
Just for the record.

toggletoggle post by AUTOPSY_666   at Sep 22,2008 11:45pm

AUTUMNAL - Grey Universe

CELESTIAL SEASON - Solar Lovers

CONIFER - Conifer

DANTESCO

DERELICT SERMON - Derelict Sermon

EMPYREAN SKY - The Snow White Rose of Paradise

FUNERALIUM - Funeralium

HYPONIC - The Noise of Time

THE KNELL - Harm

LOSS - Life Without Hope

NEX - Zero

SHAPE OF DESPAIR - Shades of...

SWALLOW THE SUN - The Morning Never Came

AUTUMNIA - In Loneliness of Two Souls

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:slacker tracker is watching
[default homepage] [print][9:17:52pm Apr 19,2024
load time 0.08329 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]