New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> ATTN: TONE WHORES / GEARHEADS (bass only, kthxbye) by DestroyYouAlot on Jun 19,2008 12:30pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 19,2008 12:30pm
Ok, so I finally own an SVT after lusting after one for about forever. It's immortal13's freshly upgraded-from rig, the SVT3PRO. 450w into 4 ohms, tube preamp (1 x 12AX7 and 1x 12AU7), solid state power, yadda yadda. He had a 4x10 cab I would've loved to have purchased, which I'm assuming is the right tool for the job, but the head just about tapped me out for the time being.

Question is, what do I need to know about matching this beauty with a speaker cab/cabs? I hear a lot of talk about "this amp drives that speaker", all of which is googledyguck to me 'cause I'm no smart. I understand the electronics of it all, just not how that translates to music/tone. (A lot of times, "music electronics" seem to defy the traditional rules of "regular-ass electronics".)

My sound is super growly (almost into distortion), super mids, lots of highs. What do I need to do/know/try to set this amp up with a cab that'll do it justice?

First useful response gets a backrub (no homo).

toggletoggle post by thuringwethil at Jun 19,2008 12:33pm
Andrew from Panzerbastard would know a lot about this, he sold me one of my Ampeg cabs eons back.

glad you took the SVT plunge!

toggletoggle post by aril at Jun 19,2008 12:52pm
+10 for making Herugrim's bass sound better.

toggletoggle post by infect  at Jun 19,2008 12:59pm
ampeg 4x10" classic, 'nuff said
get two if possible

toggletoggle post by brad weymouth at Jun 19,2008 1:14pm
infect said[orig][quote]
ampeg 4x10" classic, 'nuff said
get two if possible

easier than carrying an 8x10 i assume, but for the sound DYA described, 10's are the way

toggletoggle post by DrewBlood@Work at Jun 19,2008 1:18pm
depends on what you want your bass to sound like. there are a few different kinds of ampeg 4x10's. i would recommend the ampeg HLF classic 4x10. it gives you usable frequency down to 26hz, which is the lowest you are going to get for how much an HLF costs.

toggletoggle post by DrewBlood@Work at Jun 19,2008 1:24pm
after re-reading your post it sounds like you would rather go for a less ballsy cab than an ampeg HLF. a regular SVT cab would do the trick and cost you less and you would probably look to add a 1x15 to add some more mids.

toggletoggle post by Swollen Donkey at Jun 19,2008 1:28pm
any of you assholes want to tell me what happened

toggletoggle post by Joshtruction   at Jun 19,2008 1:37pm
The only thing you REALLY need to make sure of is that the head matches the ohms of the cab you aqre using. The rest is up to you really. Personally I really like the new avatar 410 cabs. I have never heard something sound so good for such little cash. It truely is amazing in a price vs tone battle.

toggletoggle post by Joshtruction   at Jun 19,2008 1:38pm
Swollen%20Donkey said[orig][quote]

yeah he baught a bass head and wants a cab that suits it ;) For real though, if you are so interested why not go ask him since you know where he lives?

toggletoggle post by Swollen Donkey at Jun 19,2008 1:40pm
I am going to your birthday Bash

toggletoggle post by Joshtruction   at Jun 19,2008 1:42pm
Ask him there then. Start any shit and I will personally make you regret comming anywhere near my property thats for damn sure though.

toggletoggle post by Swollen Donkey at Jun 19,2008 1:42pm
lolz. i'm not the real Swollen Donkey.

toggletoggle post by Joshtruction   at Jun 19,2008 1:43pm
damn you! Should have rick rolled me too.

toggletoggle post by aril at Jun 19,2008 1:45pm
lol. hockey.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 19,2008 1:48pm
FINTROLL'D

toggletoggle post by immortal13 at Jun 19,2008 6:30pm
Like everyone has said, just about any mid priced amped cab will take care of you, especially if it's an HLF model, like an SVT410HLF or my cab, the BSE410HLF. Anything with a tweeter especially will help you get the real snappy highs and actually hearing the higher midrange frequencies.

toggletoggle post by unholy_dave at Jun 19,2008 9:08pm
AMPEG 810 FTW

ALWAYS.

ps tweeters are gay

toggletoggle post by thegreatspaldino   at Jun 19,2008 11:09pm
the way i look at it is:

if the cab has speakers, its good to go. if you cant get the sound you want out of the head after messing with the head and bass... then your bass sucks or your amp sucks. there is also NOTHING that buying a basic POD can't fix. im serious. im the master of getting things how i want with the most garbage equipment.

you're in a metal band. no one gives that much of a shit about the bass.

... granted i would almost kill a man to own the head you have. i know these gear nazis will be like "get X cab and get Y EQ" or something... but whatever. make sure the ohms of the cab matches the ohms of the head and you're all set.

to be honest you arent going to be able to tell that much of a difference between a $400 used head and $2100 completely decked out 7 space rack set up when you are playing and neither will the 99% of the crowd.

toggletoggle post by brad weymouth at Jun 19,2008 11:19pm
unholy_dave said[orig][quote]
AMPEG 810 FTW

ALWAYS.

ps tweeters are gay

toggletoggle post by Joshtruction   at Jun 19,2008 11:29pm
Spalding nailed it right when he said no one in a metal band or listening to a metal band is going to give a shit about you. Sad but true.
You can have the best tone in the world and it will not matter one bit.

bennyhillifier

Thats the overdrive channel on my favorite bass amp ever. Killer tone.

toggletoggle post by GEEZER BUTLER, STEVE HARRIS, AND CLIFF BURTON at Jun 20,2008 12:33pm
thegreatspaldino said[orig][quote]
you're in a metal band. no one gives that much of a shit about the bass.

Joshtruction said[orig][quote]
Spalding nailed it right when he said no one in a metal band or listening to a metal band is going to give a shit about you. Sad but true.
You can have the best tone in the world and it will not matter one bit.

EXCUSE ME, SIR, BUT WE BEG TO DIFFER.

toggletoggle post by LEMMY at Jun 20,2008 12:35pm

HAI, GUYZ, WUT'S GOIN ON IN DIS THREAD??!?

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 20,2008 12:35pm
lol

toggletoggle post by corpus_colostomy at Jun 20,2008 12:38pm edited Jun 20,2008 12:39pm
seriously.
what bullshit...
good, distinctive, intelligible, bass sounds that DO NOT comepete for low end frequencies in one big blob of amorphous brown sound, account for the top 3% of DM imo. Proper bass tone sets apart the boys from the men. GOOD music still starts with the 'rhythm section.'

toggletoggle post by thegreatspaldino   at Jun 20,2008 12:42pm
yeah wow, now add Steve Digiorgio and Alex Webster and Sean Malone to that and you have pretty much the only 6 bass players in metal that people give a fuck about.

this is the amp i really want. played on one before and it was fucking SWEET.

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by corpus_colostomy at Jun 20,2008 12:46pm
bassist for defeated sanity = HOLY SHIT BALLS.
ben marlin (rip) = HOLY SHIT BALLS.
banishment bass player = WTF?!

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 20,2008 2:10pm

Excuse the chick clothes, plz.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 20,2008 3:42pm
Spaldino: Don't fall for that kinda thinking, man. That shit bums me out. Who cares what people care about or which bassists Joe Dudeguy knows? Fuck the BACK OF THE BUS, BASS MONKEY attitude - I hate that shit.

SRSLY, I didn't pick up bass to double rhythm parts and stand around adding "OOMPH" to some guitarist's sound - you buy yourself an harmonizer if you want that shit, chief, I'm not an effects pedal.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 20,2008 3:44pm
I miss the Bassists of Death forum.

toggletoggle post by Swollen Donkey at Jun 20,2008 3:45pm

toggletoggle post by craigforacurse  at Jun 20,2008 3:48pm
DestroyYouAlot said[orig][quote]

SRSLY, I didn't pick up bass to double rhythm parts and stand around adding "OOMPH" to some guitarist's sound - you buy yourself an harmonizer if you want that shit, chief, I'm not an effects pedal.

the greatest thing ive ever seen. well put.

toggletoggle post by aril at Jun 20,2008 3:53pm
how come you sound like an effects pedal for herugim? ohhhhh... dissed.
just kidding bro.

toggletoggle post by anthny at Jun 20,2008 3:58pm
If you're a bass player who thinks what you do doesn't matter just because you play metal then you have no idea what you're doing or how to take control of your instrument and define an important role for yourself with whomever you play with. Also, there's nothing wrong with doubling a rhythm part.. that shouldn't be an automatic pejorative.

The role of the bass is to kick people's ass and to do that you play the most appropriate part that the song requires. Most of the time the best way to do that is to follow the K.I.S.S. philosophy. Sometimes it's appropriate to step out and play some elaborate fill or counterpointal part, but bass players who never know how to lay back and just add heaviness to a song are often the ones who are hardest to hear and appreciate. Trying too hard to get noticed with wheedley-wheedley bullshit will get you nowhere.

toggletoggle post by aril at Jun 20,2008 4:00pm
Fuck that. I'm getting a Chapman Stick.

toggletoggle post by thuringwethilsnarsnar at Jun 20,2008 4:18pm
I prefer playing bass to guitar any day.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 20,2008 5:07pm
anthny said[orig][quote]
Trying too hard to get noticed with wheedley-wheedley bullshit will get you nowhere.

You forgot meedleys and squeedlies. And virtuosos, and trembalos, and arpeggios...

toggletoggle post by SacreligionNLI at Jun 20,2008 5:50pm
jugga jigga wugga

peter steele's bass tone ftw

toggletoggle post by brad weymouth at Jun 20,2008 6:03pm
anthny said[orig][quote]
Trying too hard to get noticed with wheedley-wheedley bullshit will get you nowhere.

You forgot meedleys and squeedlies. And virtuosos, and trembalos, and arpeggios...

i had the pleasure of hearing this local maniac Eddie make a sound...it was this. "zoob zoob zoob zoob, zoob zoob. zoob zoob zoob zoob, doo doo doo"...the tune is NIB. he had just taken an ENORMOUS hit of crack and did that

toggletoggle post by badsneakers at Jun 20,2008 8:54pm
Like a few others said

fuck tweeters! if you cant transport an 8/10 check out the bergantino nv610
i actually prefer the sound to the ampeg 810

http://www.bergantino.com/

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 21,2008 12:18am
anthny said[orig][quote]
Also, there's nothing wrong with doubling a rhythm part.. that shouldn't be an automatic pejorative.

My point is more that, even if you are doubling a part, you should be audible.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 21,2008 12:18am
See, "...And Justice for All". LOL

toggletoggle post by unholy_dave at Jun 21,2008 11:29am
badsneakers said[orig][quote]
if you cant transport an 8/10 don't play bass

fixed

toggletoggle post by thegreatspaldino   at Jun 21,2008 12:41pm
Spaldino: Don't fall for that kinda thinking, man. That shit bums me out. Who cares what people care about or which bassists Joe Dudeguy knows? Fuck the BACK OF THE BUS, BASS MONKEY attitude - I hate that shit.

i myself care about bass in metal, im just saying that unless you are doing some seriously ridiculous shit, no one will care about you or your tone. i personally love being able to hear bass and am vehemently against distorted bass for that very reason.

another thing i was trying to get at is that you dont have to spend a billion dollars on a bass rig to get a more than reasonable sound out of it. you can get a fat and crisp tone out of 2 15's if you know what you are doing.

my best advice would be to play your head through as many cabs as you can to find what you like the best. dont just buy one and hope for the best.

toggletoggle post by brad weymouth at Jun 21,2008 12:49pm

fixed

toggletoggle post by badsneakers at Jun 21,2008 12:50pm

fixed

I hear ya

but if you heard or played through my berg 6/10 you would change your tune... or at least make an exception to the rule

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 21,2008 1:35pm

fixed

I hear ya

but if you heard or played through my berg 6/10 you would change your tune... or at least make an exception to the rule

NO SOUP FOR YOU

toggletoggle post by unholy_dave at Jun 21,2008 5:33pm

fixed

I hear ya

no i hear that. a friend of mine plays through a 210 and a 15, and his tone is awesome. he's also in a mr. bungle-ish type band so it fits their sound. dixie dave from weedeater uses two 215s. there are exceptions.
still, nothing like seeing/hearing/feeling that ampeg fridge on stage.

toggletoggle post by Joshtruction   at Jun 21,2008 5:40pm

fixed

I hear ya

no i hear that. a friend of mine plays through a 210 and a 15, and his tone is awesome. he's also in a mr. bungle-ish type band so it fits their sound. dixie dave from weedeater uses two 215s. there are exceptions.

I thnk 2 410hlf's sound a world better than the typical 810he. More bass, more volume, more tone, and eisier to transport.

toggletoggle post by badsneakers at Jun 21,2008 6:36pm
Joshtruction said[orig][quote]

fixed

I hear ya

I thnk 2 410hlf's sound a world better than the typical 810he. More bass, more volume, more tone, and eisier to transport.

ehh.. I'm anti tweeter and ports...want my shit sealed

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:typos add character
[default homepage] [print][6:13:58am Mar 29,2024
load time 0.03920 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]