New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> May10th Midway Cafe Show Cancelled! FUCK MARTIN DOYLE!!! by Czarnobóg on May 1,2008 12:44pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Czarnobóg at May 1,2008 12:44pm
----------------- Bulletin Message -----------------

Date: May 1, 2008 12:27 PM

May10th SHOW CANCELLED!
FUCK MARTIN DOYLE!!!

Sorry to announce that the May 10th show with ONE MASTER, HIVE SMASHER, UNHOLY GOATFUCKER, ROHIRRIM and NADIR at the Midway Cafe is cancelled. Its been nothing but headaches dealing with the promoter for almost two months now, and now he is throwing a tantrum and forcing me to cancel the show altogether. Its sucks, but its out of my hands.

Thanx to all the bands who were gonna play (I'll do my best to make it up to you with other shows down the road) and anyone who was planning on coming out for what would've been a great show.

THE SITUATION:

In addition to being one of my favorite neighborhood bars, the Midway Cafe has always been supportive of underground music. It has its quirks, but overall its a cool place: They have reasonable drink prices. A halfway decent PA system. They allow all ages events. They work off door percentages (and if they do well at the bar are always very generous to bands and event organizers) instead of charging a flat fee to use the space.
Etc.

I've never had any problems booking shows there (in the past its literally required a five minute phone call to nail down a date/time and work out the details, straigtforward--no bullshit)... until recently, when they hired "legendary Boston promoter" MARTIN DOYLE as the booking agent.

Anyways, in the interest of sharing information with others from Boston's DIY/underground punk/metal/hardcore community -- and also DJs, kareoke & dance nights, etc -- who may be thinking of holding an event at Midway in the future here is my extremely frustrating, and at times straight up crazy (not to mention just scummy... "oh, btw, I just pulled a new policy out of my ass that under-21 kids pay $10 at all ages shows"), exchanges with Martin in full just so you know what you're in for...

[Please note: I'm not suggesting anyone boycott the Midway Cafe, or not book shows/events there, or anything like that. Like I said, the bar itself is a cool place, has been very good to the local music scene, and is definitely worth supporting. I just want people to know what kind of bullshit and incompetence they are likely to deal with if they go through Martin]

----MaRK/Unholy Goatfucker

PREPARE TO ENTER THE SHOW BOOKING TWILIGHT ZONE...

----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: Mar 9, 2008 4:47 PM

Hey Martin, was wondering if Saturday May 10th is available for a matinee show (4-8pm)?

Date: Mar 10, 2008 6:08 PM

May 10th book it..

M

Date: Mar 10, 2008 6:22 PM

Cool, thanx.

Pencil me in and I'll get you details asap.

Date: Mar 10, 2008 6:28 PM

Unholy mother fucking goatfucker!!!

Date: Apr 2, 2008 7:12 PM

I'm a space cadet,....Please run down the shows we have going if any at at..

M

Date: Apr 2, 2008 8:38 PM

I just have that matinee show on Saturday, May 10th (4-8pm) with you. Waiting on confirmations from two bands, but so far its:

ONE MASTER
REVEREND GRUNDARR AND THE UNHOLY TRINITY
UNHOLY GOATFUCKER
+2tba

Date: Apr 4, 2008 8:10 PM

Sorry erased your last message..

M

Date: Apr 4, 2008 8:28 PM

No, nothing in April with me.

May 10th.

Date: Apr 4, 2008 8:29 PM

thank you

m

Date: Apr 8, 2008 11:24 AM

Hey Martin, someone pointed out to me that the Midway calendar has that show I was booking scheduled for April 20th, and the actual date you gave me and I've been working around (MAY 10th) has some other band scheduled to play. What's up? I thought we had this all sorted. At least one band I booked has members coming from pretty far out of town so hopefully this can be fixed. Please let me know asap.

Date: Apr 8, 2008 1:00 PM

I knew something might be fucked...I'll can fix it...ASASAP DETAILS

Date: Apr 10, 2008 12:02 PM

I keep getting emails from people confused on when this show is. Think you can update the Midway website?

Date: Apr 10, 2008 12:32 PM

yup I'll fix it..This is the only show we have booked..

M

Date: Apr 10, 2008 12:40 PM

Yep.

Date: Apr 10, 2008 12:45 PM

should be done by the end of the day..

M

Date: Apr 12, 2008 2:18 PM

Okay, cool. Thanx.

Here's the final info on that show:

SATURDAY, MAY 10TH

ONE MASTER
HIVE SMASHER
UNHOLY GOATFUCKER
ROHIRRIM
NADIR

4pm. $7. all ages.

Date: Apr 12, 2008 3:39 PM

Thanks will do..

M

Date: Apr 14, 2008 12:21 PM

Seriously man, you gotta update the Midway website. I keep getting confused emails from people asking if we're playing this Sunday (including the guy who's actually booking a show that day!) and now its being advertised on WMBR, the Phoenix, and elsewhere. You've promised me a bunch of times that you'd change it and so far it hasn't happened. Is there someone else I'm supposed to talk to about this?

Date: Apr 14, 2008 3:28 PM

It The Midway..I don't really do the web content... sent an email to my guy and Henry atn,,,

Date: Apr 14, 2008 4:17 PM

Okay, thought you were the one updating the website for the place now. Didn't really understand the last bit but thanx for emailing him.

Date: Apr 28, 2008 8:48 PM

Martin, I just noticed that on the Midway website has been updated with the right date, but now this show is now advertised for 1pm [later changed to 2pm]! What gives? I've had May 10, 4-8pm booked with you since early March (I still have the emails), have scheduled that time with the bands, and have had it on all the promo I've sent out. No offense dude, but this shit has been frustrating as hell... and this'll probably be the last time I try and book a show at Midway. At least for awhile. Too many headaches.

Can you PLEASE sort this out?

Date: Apr 29, 2008 1:27 AM

you have the room till 7..don't where the 1pm thing came from..just get it done on time..owners wanted chandler requested the show,..make sure you back line it I have a bass cabinet rig..it might be easier for me if you can move it..And its $7.00 for 21 plus $10.00 for under 21.. Let me know if you can move it so I don't have to get out of bed so early..

m

Date: Apr 29, 2008 4:09 AM

As a matter of fact your show is cancelled.......Send Satan.. That show is done,,,... Fuck You..I mean it the show is done. If anyone shows up I'll be there..You can talk to me. But I will sleep a little later...

Martin

PS At Least you Have a few weeks notice..Again go fuck yourself....

Date: Apr 29, 2008 11:28 AM

What? Seriously? What's goin on? I don't think I'm being asshole here. I know you're probably stressed out and busy as fuck. I was just trying to get things straight. I thought we had an agreement on some basic things, and I've been working around that. But its hard when shit's getting changed behind my back.

I've already promoted the show pretty widely... have people coming from pretty far out of town... etc. I would really rather just work shit out with you than cancel altogether.

Let me know what's up so I know whether to keep promoting the show or cancelling with the bands.

[after this last email, no response... I send two follow up emails and still no response... I try calling the Midway to talk to Martin and he's not around, which means he's either on a serious bender somewhere or just not taking calls from me... whatever, I'm done. Fuck this guy. ----MaRK]

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at May 1,2008 12:48pm
send satan?

toggletoggle post by Mess at May 1,2008 12:51pm
guy's a real prick it seems ey?

toggletoggle post by aaron_michael  at May 1,2008 1:27pm
dayum yo

toggletoggle post by aril at May 1,2008 1:37pm
he doesn't deserve to have that last name. i bet you he's not even a real doyle. i'll talk some sense into him by putting a bad word to our last name.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at May 1,2008 1:42pm
o'doyle rules

toggletoggle post by thuringwethil at May 1,2008 1:50pm
wow. this is not surprising, unfortunately.

and I was looking forward to this

toggletoggle post by archaeon at May 1,2008 1:51pm
dreadkill said[orig][quote]
o'doyle rules

hahaha dammit i was gonna say that

toggletoggle post by RichHorror  at May 1,2008 1:52pm

toggletoggle post by Czarnobóg at May 1,2008 2:05pm
Thanx Rich!

The rest of the bands have other shows coming up too:

HIVE SMASHER

May 2 6Pm
KC’s Tap(21+)
Pawtucket, Rhode Island

May 16 8PM
UMASS Dartmouth
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

May 21 9PM
O’Briens
allston, Massachusetts

ROHIRRIM

May 2 8PM
KC’s Tap Pawtucket

NADIR

May 3 8PM
The Wheelchair Worcester, Massachusetts

May 16 9PM
w/Wetnurse(NY), Casket Architects(NY), Perdition, Bastardize and Antietam
The Wheelchair, Worcester MA

toggletoggle post by anthony at May 1,2008 2:06pm
Martin Doyle has always been fine to work with from my experience and very cool in all my interactions with him. I'm not commenting or taking a side on this specific situation, but in my opinion you really shouldn't be posting emails he sent privately to you on a public messageboard. If you have an issue with him that you think other promoters should know about, why don't you let them know privately? It's just as easy to do that as to make this thread. No offense is meant to you, but this is unprofessional.

/my 2 cents

toggletoggle post by W3 nli at May 1,2008 2:24pm
anthony said[orig][quote]
Martin Doyle has always been fine to work with from my experience and very cool in all my interactions with him. I'm not commenting or taking a side on this specific situation, but in my opinion you really shouldn't be posting emails he sent privately to you on a public messageboard. If you have an issue with him that you think other promoters should know about, why don't you let them know privately? It's just as easy to do that as to make this thread. No offense is meant to you, but this is unprofessional.

/my 2 cents

gotta agree

toggletoggle post by Czarnobóg at May 1,2008 2:24pm
Are you serious? Fuck him. Anyone who books DIY shows/events should know about this kind of bullshit. Its called supporting the underground scene through shared information.

toggletoggle post by aril at May 1,2008 2:26pm
somewhat off topic, but Hive Smasher is playing a show at Umass Dartmouh? What part of campus and how? They wouldn't allow my old band play there.

toggletoggle post by Czarnobóg at May 1,2008 2:27pm
I dunno, I just took the info from their MySpace page.

toggletoggle post by anthony at May 1,2008 2:29pm
Well, 2 things..

1 - I agree that information should be shared but this is not an appropriate way to do so, in my opinion.

2 - Myself and I'm sure others have had perfectly functioning interactions with this guy with no difficulties whatsoever, so it is somewhat unfair for you to drive others away from working with him by presenting your negative example in this way on a public messageboard. I don't think that is very productive, for anyone.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at May 1,2008 2:32pm
I agree with Anthony in principle. But reading this stuff....I dunno, I'd be pretty fucking irritated, too.

toggletoggle post by Czarnobóg at May 1,2008 2:37pm edited May 1,2008 2:39pm
That's cool. If you've had good dealings with him, keep dealing with him. This was just a recount of MY dealings with him... and, considering I've gotten literally dozens of sympathetic emails from people who have had similar nightmares dealing with this guy, it seems like I'm not alone.

I've been booking shows on and off for over fifteen years. I've dealt with all sorts of unreliable flakes and total scumbags, and have never made any sort've public stink about it until now. After all the bullshit I've had to deal with from this guy I'm perfectly okay potentially compromising my "professionalism" here.

toggletoggle post by anthony at May 1,2008 2:38pm
Cool dude. Again, I'm not trying to be insulting or disrespectful in any way. I'm just voicing an opinion. I definitely see where you are coming from, and sympathize with your situation.

toggletoggle post by aaron_michael  at May 1,2008 2:39pm
aril said[orig][quote]
somewhat off topic, but Hive Smasher is playing a show at Umass Dartmouh? What part of campus and how? They wouldn't allow my old band play there.

honestly, I'm not sure on the details myself. I guess there's some large benefit concert for my bassist and drummer's old friend and we got asked to play.
what part of campus, what time, how much it costs, who else is playing, that's all up in the air. Tyler has all the info.

toggletoggle post by Czarnobóg at May 1,2008 2:44pm edited May 1,2008 2:45pm
anthony said[orig][quote]
Cool dude. Again, I'm not trying to be insulting or disrespectful in any way. I'm just voicing an opinion. I definitely see where you are coming from, and sympathize with your situation.

Thanx. In general I agree with you too. I hate internet drama bullshit. But I feel like in this situation it was the appropriate response... or at the least it let's people know why the show is cancelled and also gives a heads-up to any bands or people looking to set up shows there of what kind of bullshit they might run into.

toggletoggle post by anthony at May 1,2008 2:46pm
True.

toggletoggle post by Horror_Tang  at May 1,2008 3:35pm

toggletoggle post by aaron_michael  at May 1,2008 4:26pm
the more I think about this, the more angry I get. I was really looking forward for this one.

toggletoggle post by RichHorror  at May 1,2008 4:29pm
Jeff, give me some of those oxys.

toggletoggle post by Badsneakers at Apr 2,2016 11:47pm
Bump

toggletoggle post by PIRES IS A COP at Apr 3,2016 2:23am
PIRES IS A COP

toggletoggle post by Hookedonebonics at Apr 3,2016 1:27pm
I hope Kevin paid attention to this thread. I mean as far as what NOT to do as a promoter.

toggletoggle post by Make RTTP Great Again at Apr 3,2016 1:58pm
It's all the Muslims fault!

toggletoggle post by Drive by suicide at Apr 4,2016 8:51am
All the Doyle's I know are money hungry scam artists. Fucking Jew bastards.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Apr 4,2016 5:45pm
Any given show at the Midway...

"Woah woah woah! You're gonna use that giant bass cab?!"
It's a normal sized bass cab.
"You can't put that thing by the door it's gonna send out vibrations all over the neighborhood and people will complain!!"
Fine. We'll put the normal sized bass cab on the other side of the stage.
"No!! That's even worse!! Forget it. Can't do it. You're gonna have to play without it!"
You want us to play without a bass cab?
"Fine! FINE! Just hurry up and play. You only have 30 minutes left!!"
Our set is 10 minutes and we've been set and waiting for your sound guy for the last ten.

*Finally get sick of waiting and walk over and turn on the 1 microphone we need. Everything works fine. Sound guy storms in 2 min into our set...*
"WTF DONT TOUCH THAT!!!"
*Frantically adjusts every knob on the board. PA feeds back.*
"LOOK WHAT YOU DID!!!!!!"
*Other guy sprints back over*
"WTF HURRY UP YOUVE ONLY GOT 25 MINUTES!!!!"
We only need 8 and we'd be done by now if you assholes would just get out of the way.
"HOLY SHIT WHY IS THAT GIANT BASS CAB NEXT TO THE DOOR?!!!"

All this for a show with like 6 paid attendees.

toggletoggle post by Department of Cool Stories at Apr 4,2016 6:28pm
Cool Story Bro

toggletoggle post by Another Midway story at Apr 7,2016 4:20pm
Same thing happened to me too Mike....And he kept yelling at me "We have a noise ordinance in this neighborhood. You guys can't play here." What a douchebag....He tried to make me feel REAL stupid........ I ain't doing that again...

toggletoggle post by true fact at Apr 7,2016 4:23pm
even hated bands hate the midway cafe

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Gutted Stoned Tears
[default homepage] [print][12:07:38am Apr 20,2024
load time 0.01778 secs/16 queries]
[search][refresh page]