New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Flo Mounier Defends Shift In Band's Musical Direction by zyklon on Mar 18,2008 12:29pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by zyklon at Mar 18,2008 12:29pm
Drummer Flo Mounier of the Canadian metallers CRYPTOPSY has defended the shift in the band's musical direction on their forthcoming sixth full-length studio album, "The Unspoken King", after unfinished versions of several of the tracks surfaced on the Internet.

A CRYPTOPSY fan named "Sam" made an online posting directed to Flo in which he stated about group's new material, "there is a difference between adding experimental touches to music and completely and utterly throwing everything you've done on past albums out the window. Now I haven't heard the full new album so I can't base a full opinion on it yet. But I sure as hell know that I'm not the only one feeling this way. The way I see it (and countless others I have spoken to about the issue) is that you've alienated your core fan base completely, which is shit, because die-hard fans like myself are just left saying 'What the fuck?' Also the new tunes I've heard sound pretty commercial, but not commercial enough to get a whole new fan base off the ground in my opinion. As a musician myself, I know what it's like to want to play something different and change it up every once in awhile. But at least change the name of the band if you guys are going to release this because listening to 'Bemoan the Martyr' [off the forthcoming album] and then putting on something great like 'Loathe', 'Shroud' or 'Phobophile', it just doesn't sound like the CRYPTOPSY I know and love, and have spent a lot of my hard-earned money getting tattoos, CDs, seeing shows, merch etc."

In his response to Sam, Flo wrote, "[I'm] very disappointed to see how closed-minded some of our fans are. We started extreme metal and now we are doing it even more then before, extreme dynamically. When you listen to the full album, you will understand or not. Never has CRYPTOPSY been soo fast and agressive and at the same time generated feel in metal songs, wow. Not an achievement to you, it seems, but something extremely hard to do. If you get it or not, that's up to you, but people judge fast and I can guarantee that if you open your mind a little, you'll understand and be in awe. No change, then just vote for Bush again while you're at it. You know, [I'm] not an angry person by nature, but god, open your ears."

"The Unspoken King" is CRYPTOPSY's first album to feature new vocalist Matt McGachy, who is also a member of 3 MILE SCREAM.

CRYPTOPSY was forced to cancel its previously announced tour of South America in March after Mounier broke his knee cap. Flo had completed the drum tracking process for the group’s new album prior to the incident, so it did not affect the recording. The tour of South America is expected to be rescheduled later in 2008.
Informational and Related Links
Bands:

Cryptopsy

toggletoggle post by sinistas   at Mar 18,2008 12:31pm edited Mar 18,2008 12:33pm
Hahaha, they started extreme metal? Or started "out" extreme metal? Flo needs to back away from the keyboard before he has an aneurysm.

toggletoggle post by zyklon at Mar 18,2008 12:33pm
i know...

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Mar 18,2008 12:35pm
english isn't his first language. i think he meant they started out as extreme metal.

toggletoggle post by zyklon at Mar 18,2008 12:37pm
He's also doing a "rap/metal" album with a Necro wanna be

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Mar 18,2008 12:39pm
Either way, what a dick. I can't imagine anyone, French Canadian or not putting out an album like that, so far removed from their original sound, and not expecting their fanbase to be pissed about it. Said it before, and I'll say it again; they knew exactly what they were doing when they wrote this album.

toggletoggle post by archaeon at Mar 18,2008 12:40pm
zyklon said[orig][quote]
No change, then just vote for Bush again while you're at it.

you're from canada douchebag.

What an idiot, No one said cryptopsy should stay exactly the same. Change is good. But changing into suck is not.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Mar 18,2008 12:43pm
LOL @ voting for Bush again...he'll win with enough write-ins

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Mar 18,2008 12:50pm
thats as stupid as Metallica's bullshit excuses for St. Blowhard. to sum up, "its our band, we want to change, so deal with it". no, fuck you, its not your band anymore. the fact that you are still a band and able to hold record deals and make good money is BECAUSE of your fans. you owe it to your fans to maintain something they have feverishly supported for years. if you want a change, drink Pepsi instead of Coke.

toggletoggle post by archaeon at Mar 18,2008 12:54pm
George Bush he's like your cousin who you knew was always fucked up, in and out of jail. Tried to fuck your mom, snorted coke off hookers asses etc

Cryptopsy is like that cool uncle that you first smoked weed with and give you your first playboy. But one day late at night after a few brews you turn around and his nuts are in your face, yes his nuts.

toggletoggle post by SacreligionNLI at Mar 18,2008 12:57pm
at least we all know that this band won't exist after this album. hooray!

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Mar 18,2008 12:58pm
look at In Flames.

toggletoggle post by archaeon at Mar 18,2008 1:00pm
At least they went in a musical directions that appealed to SOMEONE. I don't think anyone in any fanbase will like this.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Mar 18,2008 1:01pm
Yeti said[orig][quote]
look at In Flames.
why didn't people get this pissed off at in flames? maybe it's because they gradually gayed up their sound, at least more gradually than cryptopsy. i don't know.

toggletoggle post by SacreligionNLI at Mar 18,2008 1:02pm
yeah....the music is pretty awful

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Mar 18,2008 1:02pm
archaeon said[orig][quote]
At least they went in a musical directions that appealed to SOMEONE. I don't think anyone in any fanbase will like this.
yeah that's true. they went for a trend that was still somewhat on the uprise, or at least still at its peak.

toggletoggle post by HeavensJail_nli at Mar 18,2008 1:04pm
It's probably because the really terrible tracks were buried on Reroute and Soundtrack, not dumped in the public's face as their previews. In Flames' singles from Clayman on have been decently done radio metal, whereas the new Cryptopsy so far is just utter garbage.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Mar 18,2008 1:06pm
i haven't listened to the new cryptopsy stuff at all. i imagine it's far worse than newer in flames and not worth listening to .

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Mar 18,2008 1:08pm
oh god...yeah...just don't. If you've resisted this long just keep at it.

toggletoggle post by SacreligionNLI at Mar 18,2008 1:08pm
it sounds like a combination of coal chamber, trapt, and lazy off-time riffing

toggletoggle post by zyklon at Mar 18,2008 1:09pm

Maybe their current fan-base will be dead after this but I'm sure they won't have a problem finding new fans

toggletoggle post by SacreligionNLI at Mar 18,2008 1:09pm
and throw in some dogfight

toggletoggle post by thuringwethil at the library at Mar 18,2008 1:12pm
it's simple just stop wasting your time on them and don't give them your money.

there's infinity other bands to listen to out there.

I understand the disappointment though.

toggletoggle post by archaeon at Mar 18,2008 1:12pm
zyklon said[orig][quote]

Maybe their current fan-base will be dead after this but I'm sure they won't have a problem finding new fans

I really have to disagree dude. This music isn't appealing. A bad version of incubus mixed with pseudo Cryptopsy parts. no one wants to listen to that.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Mar 18,2008 1:17pm
thuringwethil%20at%20the%20library said[orig][quote]
it's simple just stop wasting your time on them and don't give them your money.

there's infinity other bands to listen to out there.

I understand the disappointment though.
i feel bad for people who really liked the band and considered them one of their favorites. i liked some of cryptopsy's stuff, but i was never a huge fan of theirs, so it's no big loss to me. sucks for the die hard fans though. you're right. there's so much out there to listen to. losing one band isn't a huge deal.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Mar 18,2008 1:18pm
lol @ getting a band tattoo

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Mar 18,2008 1:20pm
brian_dc said[orig][quote]
hahaha, yeah, i thought it was funny that the guy is upset about his cryptopsy tattoos. it's not the band's fault he was dumb enough to get a tattoo and trust that they'd never change their sound and disappoint him.

toggletoggle post by archaeon at Mar 18,2008 1:21pm

they changed their bat logo thing a bit. so if you have a tattoo of the old bat one you can be all like fuck dat new shit son.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Mar 18,2008 1:23pm
or you can be all like, "yeah I'm the kind of moron who gets a band logo tattoo.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Mar 18,2008 1:24pm
er...

"

toggletoggle post by largefreakatzero at Mar 18,2008 1:57pm
I wonder if Flo accidentally broke his kneecap, or if he got gay-bashed by a former fan after hearing those horrendous leaked songs.

toggletoggle post by aril at Mar 18,2008 2:06pm
meanwhile there's bands like primordial that are still releasing unbelievable albums while slightly evolving each time.

toggletoggle post by mortalis  at Mar 18,2008 2:07pm
aril said[orig][quote]
meanwhile there's bands like primordial that are still releasing unbelievable albums while slightly evolving each time.

while not getting NEARLY enough credit. primordial is fucking amazing.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Mar 18,2008 2:11pm
primordial is one of my all time favorites. they've never written a bad riff, let alone a bad song or album.

toggletoggle post by ConquerTheBaphomet  at Mar 18,2008 4:12pm
Nothing can save this band.

Nothing.

toggletoggle post by corpus_colostomy at Mar 18,2008 4:23pm
what about christ?

toggletoggle post by dftg at Mar 18,2008 4:26pm
hahahahaha.

yeah, primordial is incredible.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Mar 18,2008 4:30pm
corpus_colostomy said[orig][quote]
what about christ?
hahahahahaa

toggletoggle post by metal_church101  at Mar 18,2008 5:02pm
SacreligionNLI said[orig][quote]
and throw in some dogfight

toggletoggle post by AUTOPSY_666   at Mar 18,2008 5:16pm

I have one...

toggletoggle post by AUTOPSY_666   at Mar 18,2008 5:18pm

toggletoggle post by corpus_colostomy at Mar 18,2008 5:23pm
dun dun DUN!

toggletoggle post by archaeon at Mar 18,2008 5:54pm
oh then it MUST be cool.

toggletoggle post by AUTOPSY_666   at Mar 18,2008 6:35pm
Must be.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:type...click...think...edit...
[default homepage] [print][6:27:17pm Apr 25,2024
load time 0.01897 secs/16 queries]
[search][refresh page]