New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> thumb and index finger problem by dertoxia on Jan 16,2008 9:58pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by dertoxia   at Jan 16,2008 9:58pm
so i just started this sign language class because it's required to have a language credit for my degree. I realized that i can't bend my thumb without bending my index finger too. It's worse in my right hand but both hands do it.

Basically if i try to bend my thumb and put all my concentration into bending just my thumb....my finger will still bend no matter how hard i try not to. I thought about it and remembered a couple times where i noticed my fingers did that but never really thought anything of it.

I guess it has something to do with short tendons and it happens to a certain percentage of people. I have no idea how common it is though.

Pretty much if i try to sign the letter 'R' i end up just flipping the bird.

Anyone else notice they also cant bend their thumb separate of their finger? Or am i a freak of nature?

toggletoggle post by archaeon at Jan 16,2008 10:06pm
when i push my thumb towards the palm of my hand my index finger moves a bit. thats about it.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jan 16,2008 10:41pm
yeah, you are a freak. sowwiez

toggletoggle post by dertoxia   at Jan 16,2008 10:43pm
ya mine are pretty much conjoined. If i bend my thumb completely all the way then my index finger bends all the way and my middle finger even bends a little bit.

toggletoggle post by xylophonefairy at Jan 19,2008 5:14pm
This happens to me on my left hand, but not on my right. My sister and Dad get it on their right hands, and my Mum isn't affected at all, so I assume it must be genetic.

I think it occurs in about 20% of people, which makes it pretty common I guess. The only reason it's not very well known is because there aren't exactly very many occasions that we might need to do it. xD Like, I only noticed very recently after reading about it in a book, and tried it out.

toggletoggle post by Grizloch   at Jan 19,2008 6:28pm
WITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

take one of those proficiency exams, thats what I did in oneonta, I took a year and a half of french in high school (3 years ago) and passed by enough to nix taking the course, course last semester it was free and you could take it as many times as you want, this semester they changed the rules

toggletoggle post by i_am_lazy at Jan 19,2008 7:43pm
I have no problem bending my thumb independently, but my ring and pinky fingers on both hands are pretty much like that. I'd probably be a bit better at guitar if it weren't for that.

toggletoggle post by dertoxia   at Jan 19,2008 10:56pm
Grizloch said:
WITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

take one of those proficiency exams, thats what I did in oneonta, I took a year and a half of french in high school (3 years ago) and passed by enough to nix taking the course, course last semester it was free and you could take it as many times as you want, this semester they changed the rules

i cant do that because i just barely passed spanish in HS. There's no way that i could pass one of those tests even i studied like crazy. my neighbor's deaf so i should probably already have learned sign. plus i see sign being way more useful to me than french or spanish or german.

toggletoggle post by sxealex   at Jan 19,2008 11:02pm
download rosetta stone that shit will have you passing a proficiency exam in a week.

toggletoggle post by Grizloch   at Jan 20,2008 4:40am
the exam was the easiest thing Ive done in college, I took it twice, the first time I didnt read ANY directions and scored a 0, the second time I took it (5 minutes later) I got a 155, which is passing, mind you I had a 71 average in french in high school and hadnt even thought about the language since I passed the regents for it in my junior year, at this point its too late, but it was free last semester, might cost you this year, but if its free it couldnt possibly hurt to try it

thats just me though...

toggletoggle post by pam nli at Jan 20,2008 9:46am
sxealex said:
download rosetta stone that shit will have you passing a proficiency exam in a week.

I have that for French, thus far I'm not totally impressed. We'll see how I do in French 2 this semester.

toggletoggle post by pam nli at Jan 20,2008 9:48am
As for you thumb/finger thing...that sounds like you have a fucked up carpal tunnel issue.

toggletoggle post by DrewBlood   at Jan 20,2008 11:47am
sounds like someone is missing some chromosomes...

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jan 20,2008 11:57am
xylophonefairy said:
This happens to me on my left hand, but not on my right. My sister and Dad get it on their right hands, and my Mum isn't affected at all, so I assume it must be genetic.

I think it occurs in about 20% of people, which makes it pretty common I guess. The only reason it's not very well known is because there aren't exactly very many occasions that we might need to do it. xD Like, I only noticed very recently after reading about it in a book, and tried it out.

"Simpson Gene" you need to see that simpsons episode. Marge tells us about genetics and marriage. when your mom married your dad, she took everything, genes and all.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jan 20,2008 11:58am
pam nli said:
sxealex said:

I have that for French, thus far I'm not totally impressed. We'll see how I do in French 2 this semester.

his response was hilarious.
yours, not so much.

toggletoggle post by BlackoutRick at Jan 20,2008 12:22pm
How come no one has made a jerk off joke yet?

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:click here to get internet 5.0
[default homepage] [print][8:49:11pm Apr 22,2024
load time 0.02204 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]