New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> dual or triple rectifiers? by xdysenterytomx on Jan 11,2004 11:29am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by xdysenterytomx   at Jan 11,2004 11:29am
wich one is the way to go, im in need of a new amp and i here that rectifiers are great...??

toggletoggle post by erggghh at Jan 11,2004 11:41am
dual.

toggletoggle post by A_Cold_Reality   at Jan 11,2004 11:59am
if ur pickin up a rec, ur gonnA need A new cAb too, the crAtes cant handle thAT much power

toggletoggle post by subjugate   at Jan 11,2004 3:49pm
i like those heads but everyone and their brother is using em now eventually everyone is gonna sorta have the same tone with a little degree of varience due to effets and settings and tuning

thats just my opinion anyway

toggletoggle post by TheGreatSpaldino   at Jan 11,2004 3:49pm edited Jan 11,2004 3:50pm
fuck gaysa boogie... get a 5150

besides... i have heard way too many stories of tubes blowing with the triple recs (one good example is buga from NA)

toggletoggle post by subjugate   at Jan 11,2004 3:50pm
i have the 5150

toggletoggle post by DeOdiumMortis  at Jan 11,2004 3:51pm
I don't like either Dual/Trips of the 5150. They're both very tired sounds now, not much uniqueness to be found there anymore.

toggletoggle post by TheGreatSpaldino   at Jan 11,2004 3:51pm
5150's sound bad ass

toggletoggle post by subjugate   at Jan 11,2004 3:59pm
they are if they are run through the nonsence i have it going through haha but live under the right situation a power amp is all i need for ampage but for the studio i use the heads 5150 marshall
one on the left one on the right

DeOdiumMortis said:
I don't like either Dual/Trips of the 5150. They're both very tired sounds now, not much uniqueness to be found there anymore.

toggletoggle post by jay-ganihm  at Jan 11,2004 6:27pm
fuck guitar. play drums!

toggletoggle post by A_Cold_Reality   at Jan 11,2004 6:31pm
5150's are really good amps, but I don't think it'll work that well from death metal, unless you use a pre-amp. The clear channel on the 5150 is amazing though. Marshall's have my fav sound, I like the TSL series. As far as Mesa goes, they are awesome amps, esspecially for music with a lot of low end. There clean channel is also very nice. If you don't want the rectifier sound, try the mark IV, that is also a sick amp.

toggletoggle post by Terence   at Jan 11,2004 7:19pm
get a 70lb DIESEL. they only cost about $4500, and are made single-handedly by some guy in Germany.

toggletoggle post by dyingmuse   at Jan 11,2004 7:38pm
its all about the power amps man...and digitec...and jackson of course RACK MOUNT ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!!!! WOOO HOOOO

toggletoggle post by George   at Jan 12,2004 12:27am
i hate 5150. they sound terrible. peavy makes crappy amps. i used to play through one when my amp broke and it sounded like crap. i like marshalls, but i'd get a triple rectifier if i could afford it.

toggletoggle post by Kalopsia   at Jan 12,2004 12:36am
one guitarist of mine has a Triple Rectifier powering a Mesa 4x12, cabinet and it fucking destroys all. he's had it for roughly 4 years now, has never changed the tubes (he's obviously overdue for one) they all still work and it still sounds awesome.

toggletoggle post by Kalopsia   at Jan 12,2004 12:52am
you could always try a POD rackmount with a power amp.

toggletoggle post by A_Cold_Reality   at Jan 12,2004 9:35am
Kalopsia said:
you could always try a POD rackmount with a power amp.

FUCK THAT, POD SOUNDS LIKE ASS AT A HIGH VOLUME

toggletoggle post by 5 Minutes Hate at Jan 12,2004 12:44pm
5150's are excellent amps, remember, you're only going to get a "good" sound if you've got "good" speakers though and "good" pickups in your guitar. Whoever said that they used a 5150 and it sounded like ass, I'm wondering what you were playing through for a speaker cab and what type of guitar you were using? The one difference is that they're 120 watt heads and most cabs are 100 watt cabs. That doesn't seem like much but honestly it's a world of difference. I've had my 5150 for 8 years and it's never let me down and never not given me the sound I've needed. It did however take a few different cabs to get me where I wanted to be! The other guitarist in 5 Minutes Hate uses a triple rectifier but only uses the solid state! Mixing the tube sound with the solid state makes for an awesome sound overall. That's my two cents, I'd recommend a 5150 to anyone who asks me what they should get but again, it's all opinion and preference so whatever works for ya!

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jan 12,2004 2:12pm
recs are overrated and overpriced. go on ebay and buy yourself a mark IV, the last great mesa head.

toggletoggle post by joey umbrella at Jan 12,2004 2:27pm
im gonna have to school you people. first of all, the difference between a dual and triple rectifier is so insignificant that saying you can tell the difference is retarded. a rectifier is a means of how power is sent throught the amp. there is 2 ways, a tube rectifier (which is spongy and makes it so your power isnt always available, so for like blues and stuff) and then there is silicon diode (which is what marshall, and pretty much everything else has, which is a diode, making power always available, and for anyone playing metal on this site would probably use, unless your brain dead). so now that we know this, the difference between the dual or triple is $150 , for what? for 50 watts no human will ever need (besides discordance axis, because he played 900 watt power amps, which made him deaf and broke up his band) and an extra set of tube rectifiers. the 5150 is an ok amp at best. messy distortion, and built like shit. actually they are made by crate if you must know. and crate is shit(the other guitar player in my band has a blue voodoo, and that amp is subpar). so... marshall are good. thats it. they are made by korg now and have left quality control guidelines. mesa are still made by hand, but if you can find an old 2 channel dual rectifier, that was the shit. the difference here, is that the new 3 channels share the tone between the 3 channels instead of 2, which was the ballsiest sound. thats why when you see a mesa in preamps, such as the line 6 pods, it says like, 94-96. thats what you want. you see them on ebay alot. they are awesome. i know all this because i worked for guitar center fo a year or so, and i got all the real training on the shit. if you have any other questions, ask. thanks

toggletoggle post by HiImPaul  at Jan 12,2004 2:31pm edited Jan 12,2004 2:33pm
any one who says a 5150 sounds like shit should really take a litsen to the head. It gives a more powerful sounding gain and you dont have to up the gain on the heads to get a heavy sound out of them. A dual rec also sounds pretty damn good. Ive been using a 5150 for a while now I run it through a mesa rectifier straight cab. I get really good low end and a really good clean sound out of it. Go with a 5150 or a dual rec for good tone if youre playing heavier music or even if your not playing heavier music. Oh and with the 5150 I thought the originals were hand made like the EVH models were hand made I thought as where the signiture series werent hand made.

toggletoggle post by DeOdiumMortis  at Jan 12,2004 2:36pm
I've never heard a 5150 that impressed me. They all sound flat and toneless to me. I like my Ampeg V7 but it's a bit noisy, I need new tubes and a foot controller to help with that.
Blue, your amp sound is sick. Jim and I were really appreciating the tone at BoK, what do you use?

toggletoggle post by A_Cold_Reality   at Jan 12,2004 2:43pm
mesas are not still hand made, they were, but have not been for over an year now. The demand for the product was so high that they started to mass produce. And all good amps were hand made at one point or anohter (i.e. vintage marshall, ol skool 5150s). I like 5150s, and putting one through a mesa cab will give u better low end, but they are not made for low end, they are made for a more high end sound. I mean if you really want to debate about the best amps, i would look no further than soldano and bogner, but those are super expensive. In fact, the design for the 5150 was pretty much a mix between a hotwired marshall head that Eddie Van Halen had and a Soldano.

toggletoggle post by Sinistas   at Jan 12,2004 3:00pm
here's a vote for a Mark IV

toggletoggle post by joey umbrella at Jan 12,2004 3:48pm
5150's arent complete shit, i take that back. they just dont have any type of unique tone whatsoever. so chugga is ok with these. and as for cabs, marshall 1960a's are the best cabs in existence. i own both mesa, and marshall cabs. the mesa is cool cuz its so big. honestly though, the marshall have been the same for the past 25 years because they got it right. perfect bass, perfect highs. really there is no better cab out there for the $$$.

toggletoggle post by Sinistas   at Jan 12,2004 3:53pm
For the cash, it's all about Avatar cabinets. Hands-down.

toggletoggle post by A_Cold_Reality   at Jan 12,2004 4:40pm
joey umbrella said:
5150's arent complete shit, i take that back. they just dont have any type of unique tone whatsoever. so chugga is ok with these. and as for cabs, marshall 1960a's are the best cabs in existence. i own both mesa, and marshall cabs. the mesa is cool cuz its so big. honestly though, the marshall have been the same for the past 25 years because they got it right. perfect bass, perfect highs. really there is no better cab out there for the $$$.

1960 cabs do rule! best mid level

toggletoggle post by jay-ganihm  at Jan 12,2004 8:10pm
joey umbrella said:
im gonna have to school you people. first of all, the difference between a dual and triple rectifier is so insignificant that saying you can tell the difference is retarded. a rectifier is a means of how power is sent throught the amp. there is 2 ways, a tube rectifier (which is spongy and makes it so your power isnt always available, so for like blues and stuff) and then there is silicon diode (which is what marshall, and pretty much everything else has, which is a diode, making power always available, and for anyone playing metal on this site would probably use, unless your brain dead). so now that we know this, the difference between the dual or triple is $150 , for what? for 50 watts no human will ever need (besides discordance axis, because he played 900 watt power amps, which made him deaf and broke up his band) and an extra set of tube rectifiers. the 5150 is an ok amp at best. messy distortion, and built like shit. actually they are made by crate if you must know. and crate is shit(the other guitar player in my band has a blue voodoo, and that amp is subpar). so... marshall are good. thats it. they are made by korg now and have left quality control guidelines. mesa are still made by hand, but if you can find an old 2 channel dual rectifier, that was the shit. the difference here, is that the new 3 channels share the tone between the 3 channels instead of 2, which was the ballsiest sound. thats why when you see a mesa in preamps, such as the line 6 pods, it says like, 94-96. thats what you want. you see them on ebay alot. they are awesome. i know all this because i worked for guitar center fo a year or so, and i got all the real training on the shit. if you have any other questions, ask. thanks

you forgot a bunch if technical differences.
rectification is a fancy word for "making a DC signal out of an AC signal." there are actually 3 ways of achieving this. half wave, full wave, and bridge rectification. all methods use silicon or geranium diodes as the devices of choice. full wave is usually the method used in all guitar amps. when the signal is rectified twice on the motherboard, as it is in a mesa dual rectifier, the signal isn't as clean (free of noise) when it reaches the tube transistors (either FET, or BJT - both containing silicon diodes) for signal amplification, producing inferior tonal qualities, and higher tolerance differences in the quiescent point, in turn sacraficing distortion of the signal (that actually sounds nice.) now, with a triple rectifier the signal is actually cleaner because it is rectified three times before it is outputed from the motherboard to the transistor tubes, giving you a better shot at achieving a quiescent point and driving the tubes into saturation for a better distorted sound, along with richer tonal qualities on each channel. also, i've seen mesa boogies with switchable mosFET/silicon diode tubes. the difference usually isn't audible enough for one to notice, but if you hook up an oscilloscope to the output of the head, you'll notice less noise on the sine wave on a triple rectifier.

toggletoggle post by DeOdiumMortis  at Jan 12,2004 8:32pm
jay-ganihm said:
joey umbrella said:

you forgot a bunch if technical differences.
rectification is a fancy word for "making a DC signal out of an AC signal." there are actually 3 ways of achieving this. half wave, full wave, and bridge rectification. all methods use silicon or geranium diodes as the devices of choice. full wave is usually the method used in all guitar amps. when the signal is rectified twice on the motherboard, as it is in a mesa dual rectifier, the signal isn't as clean (free of noise) when it reaches the tube transistors (either FET, or BJT - both containing silicon diodes) for signal amplification, producing inferior tonal qualities, and higher tolerance differences in the quiescent point, in turn sacraficing distortion of the signal (that actually sounds nice.) now, with a triple rectifier the signal is actually cleaner because it is rectified three times before it is outputed from the motherboard to the transistor tubes, giving you a better shot at achieving a quiescent point and driving the tubes into saturation for a better distorted sound, along with richer tonal qualities on each channel. also, i've seen mesa boogies with switchable mosFET/silicon diode tubes. the difference usually isn't audible enough for one to notice, but if you hook up an oscilloscope to the output of the head, you'll notice less noise on the sine wave on a triple rectifier.

I fucking love science.

toggletoggle post by joey umbrella at Jan 13,2004 1:59am
awesome. well i didnt want to go that in depth, nor did it really pertain to what i needed to get across, but i think there are some people that now know a little more after todays writings. *e- hi-five*

toggletoggle post by HiImPaul  at Jan 13,2004 1:22pm
lol alright then , im just going to play out of what I think sounds good.

toggletoggle post by noosebomb666  at Jan 13,2004 1:40pm
Just get a Marshall. Preferably an older one. They have reissued the JCM800 and the 70's-era superlead 100W, the 2 best sounding guitar heads ever made. Why bother looking at anything else. Sure you need a distortion pedal for the super crunch, but with the right pedal you just cant get a better sound than an old Marshall.

That being said, my guitarist has a Mesa/Boogie F100 head and I must say the thing sounds fucking awesome.

heres the musicians friend ads for the 2 marshall heads

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=04...home/search/detail/base_pid/482714/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=04...home/search/detail/base_pid/482713/

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jan 13,2004 1:45pm
DeOdiumMortis said:
I've never heard a 5150 that impressed me. They all sound flat and toneless to me. I like my Ampeg V7 but it's a bit noisy, I need new tubes and a foot controller to help with that.
Blue, your amp sound is sick. Jim and I were really appreciating the tone at BoK, what do you use?

i just use a pod pro through an older early 90s model mosvalve power amp. i use the insane amp model on the pod, its super bass heavy and thick which i enjoy a lot. but id have to say that my cabs (loaded with celestion vintage 30s and sheffields) and my pickups (seymour duncan jbs) do almost as much work as the pod pro.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:today will turn for the worse
[default homepage] [print][8:56:06pm Apr 24,2024
load time 0.03591 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]