New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> To all Elitists.... by ouchdrummer on Nov 1,2007 5:44pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Nov 1,2007 5:44pm
Recently I have noticed that a there's a good deal of people claiming others are mis-using terms that define a type of metal. Help me people. If you think you really know what "GRIND" "DEATHMETAL" "BLACKMETAL" etc..... mean than please use this thread to enlighten everybody. Thanks

(Define as many terms as you feel necessary)

toggletoggle post by Fuck_Logging_In_NLI at Nov 1,2007 5:46pm
first

toggletoggle post by Fuck_Logging_In_NLI at Nov 1,2007 5:46pm
and you're doing it wrong

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Nov 1,2007 5:48pm
Crap
Crapmetal
Crapcore
Deathcrap
Black Crap
True Black Kvlt crap
More crap
Crappola

toggletoggle post by Ryan_M at Nov 1,2007 7:07pm
There's no way to strictly define any genre, because they all incorporate elements from other genres and they're all interchangable. It's all a matter of opinion.

Anyone who considers themselves as a "Metal elitist" is a fucking idiot and if they really cared about the music they wouldn't be worrying about how they measure up compared with everyone else who listens to this shit or whether or not Testicular Pancreas should be legally classified as "technical thrash/grind/powerviolence with blackened-deathcore elements and some Pink Floyd type shit thrown in to spice it up"

toggletoggle post by BornSoVile   at Nov 1,2007 7:13pm
go to shows and stay metal for 10 years, you'll figure it out, trust me.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 1,2007 7:38pm
ryan m wins.

toggletoggle post by BlackoutRick at Nov 1,2007 8:42pm
No, BornSoVile wins.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney nli at Nov 1,2007 9:02pm
If you can't send a money order to some 18 year old running a "record label" in suburban Ljubljana for some tapes and a patch you are not elite.

CONSPICUOUS CONSUMPTION IS METAL

toggletoggle post by Uh at Nov 1,2007 9:19pm
Ryan_M said:
There's no way to strictly define any genre, because they all incorporate elements from other genres and they're all interchangable. It's all a matter of opinion.

Anyone who considers themselves as a "Metal elitist" is a fucking idiot and if they really cared about the music they wouldn't be worrying about how they measure up compared with everyone else who listens to this shit or whether or not Testicular Pancreas should be legally classified as "technical thrash/grind/powerviolence with blackened-deathcore elements and some Pink Floyd type shit thrown in to spice it up"

But if you can't tell the difference between grind and black metal.... you're listening to metal wrong or fucking something.

It just seems that when you're ignorant about a specific topic, its easy to dismiss people who know what they're talking about as "elitists" even if they might actually not be complete tools, but have listened to metal for 10 years.

I think we all went through that phase when first discovering metal and first listening to Century Media/Nuclear Blast/WhateverBigLabel bands and couldn't tell the difference between death and black metal.

But yeah, metal elitism is silly.

toggletoggle post by sxealex   at Nov 1,2007 9:52pm edited Nov 1,2007 9:54pm
WHO CARES... and fuck your non functional tags

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Nov 1,2007 10:06pm
Uh said:

But if you can't tell the difference between grind and black metal.... you're listening to metal wrong or fucking something.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Nov 2,2007 8:28am
wow, everyones real quick on this board to say that something isnt REALLY grind, but when those same people get asked to define what it means they pull this "there's no way do define any genre" what? Fucking lame passive aggressive shit..

toggletoggle post by ZJD   at Nov 2,2007 8:32am
ouchdrummer said:
wow, everyones real quick on this board to say that something isnt REALLY grind, but when those same people get asked to define what it means they pull this "there's no way do define any genre" what? Fucking lame passive aggressive shit..

People get more uppity about grind than anything else because so much of the music in the world that gets called grind has nothing to do with what it is known to be as a punk genre. It's much easier to split into "real grind" and "not real grind" than other genres of metal/hardcore.

toggletoggle post by theaccurseddrummer  at Nov 2,2007 8:54am
Who gives a fuck? If you like it, listen to it. If not, don't.
Elitists are usually douche bags anyway, so fuck what they think.

toggletoggle post by NickReddy   at Nov 2,2007 8:57am
bump and grind.

toggletoggle post by C.DEAD at Nov 2,2007 8:58am
ZJD said:
ouchdrummer said:

People get more uppity about grind than anything else because so much of the music in the world that gets called grind has nothing to do with what it is known to be as a punk genre. It's much easier to split into "real grind" and "not real grind" than other genres of metal/hardcore.

Nice way of putting it. I don't understand Odrummer why you even care to ask. It should be pretty easy to understand what genre of music you are listening to if you know what youre talking about. Others opinions should matter very little, especially on this board.

Oh and for the record, bands like Red Chord and Beutiful Gorgeous suck and aren't grind. Don't know how that started.

toggletoggle post by ZJD   at Nov 2,2007 9:37am
C.DEAD said:
ZJD said:
ouchdrummer said:

Nice way of putting it. I don't understand Odrummer why you even care to ask. It should be pretty easy to understand what genre of music you are listening to if you know what youre talking about. Others opinions should matter very little, especially on this board.

Oh and for the record, bands like Red Chord and Beutiful Gorgeous suck and aren't grind. Don't know how that started.

I don't know Beautiful Gorgeous but the Red Chord has really fast chaotic parts, which seems to be what 'makes' lots of metal/metalcore grind as per the opinions of people that don't know what grind is. Also, for another record, I think TRC's first album is fucking great, but I don't call it grind.

toggletoggle post by Ryan_M at Nov 2,2007 9:53am
ouchdrummer said:

Well its like BornSoVile commented earlier, if you've been listening to the music for a number of years and you're really into it, you'll be able to pick up on differences in bands' styles so you'll eventually be able to tell whether a band is death, black, grind, thrash, etc... just by listening to it.

Its hard to define a genre in words and pin it down to just one thing because like I mentioned in my last post, all these genres are interchangable and take influence from one another and some non-metal genres as well. To define one genre would mean you have to define all the other genres you're mentioning in that original definition. It'd be like trying to define a word by using lots of other words that you don't know what they mean either.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Nov 2,2007 10:16am
semantic arguments

lol

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Nov 2,2007 10:35am
all this metal classification stuff is way too much work. if you like the way something sounds, listen to it. if not, don't. who cares what genre it is.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Nov 2,2007 10:36am
theaccurseddrummer said:

whoa, that was purely coincidental.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Nov 2,2007 10:36am
yeah, i guess to be honest i really do know what all these terms mean. . I've been listening to metal as long as most, but i was just trying poke fun at the elitists that populate a good deal of message boards...

...and for the record, if The Red Chord DOESNT have grind like aspects i am confused.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Nov 2,2007 10:45am
I just found out Slapshot is a "toughguy hardcore band", so what the hell do I know?

toggletoggle post by theaccurseddrummer  at Nov 2,2007 11:21am
Yeti said:
theaccurseddrummer said:

whoa, that was purely coincidental.

Great minds think alike mofo!

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Nov 3,2007 3:47am
I'm so elite that I can't tell you what grind is; you have to have the special decoder ring first.

toggletoggle post by deadlikemurf  at Nov 3,2007 3:50am
drink beer. listen to music. repeat.

toggletoggle post by Dankill at Nov 3,2007 8:19am
Do what Jawshy and Murf said.
You'll get it in time. Hell, I had to learn most shit for myself because damn near no one I knew listened to anything cool until maybe late high school.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Feral Angelic Impregnation
[default homepage] [print][2:33:52pm Apr 19,2024
load time 0.03009 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]