Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> red ring of death by anon on Oct 14,2007 9:17pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by anon at Oct 14,2007 9:17pm
anyone know how long it takes for them to fix xboxs with the 3 red lites.

toggletoggle post by boine at Oct 14,2007 9:20pm
i got mine back in 3 weeks

toggletoggle post by thuringwethil at Oct 14,2007 9:49pm
I hope mine never does that

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Oct 15,2007 12:38am
I saw the thread title and I was going to recommend some Preparation H

toggletoggle post by thegreatspaldino   at Oct 15,2007 10:34am
hahahaha

but seriously... this is main reason i sold my 360. soon all the new ones will come with the better, smaller, more efficient chipset and larger fan so it run cooler and is more reliable. its just ridiculous that people would stand for this kind of shit.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Oct 15,2007 10:38am
I know that this is easily fixable and people overreact to this shit like crazy

I believe you just have to remove the side panel and flip a switch that looks like a breaker and then you're all set.

The new ones are better, but red ring of death is not the end of the world.

toggletoggle post by thegreatspaldino   at Oct 15,2007 11:33am
remove side panel and flip a switch? thats the first i've heard of that.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Oct 15,2007 11:41am
I'll get details when my video game nerd friend from work gets back from his training this afternoon.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Oct 15,2007 2:39pm
so I talked to my buddy and he seemed to forget a bunch of the details. But basically if you remove the side panel, look around the online help places and look for discussion of a toggle switch that you can get at by taking off the side panel. This is the kind of thing you can get done, but if you can get the info to feel confident about this switch thing, you'll save some money that you'd otherwise spend on some dude doing it for you. A lot of sites say to just remove your harddrive, let it cool off for a bit and then put it back in. I don't know, just google it I guess.

toggletoggle post by ffsmasher  at Oct 15,2007 3:03pm
I mod xboxs to play backedup games, but I also mod them to run more efficiently. to repair the red ring of death using the X-Clamp fix is relatively simple.

The xbox has a design flaw that when it begins to heat up the 'x-clamps' on the underside of the motherboard that hold down the heatsinks don't actually flex and they cause the motherboard to flex on the ends forcing the GPU and the CPU in the middle of the board to actually pop out of the socket. So to fix this you need to remove the x-clamps, remove the heatsinks and apply your own thermal paste (preferably arctic silver). Turn the xbox on after the chips are back in place for about two minutes until you get to red flashes to inform you that the xbox is overheating. The reason for this step is so the solderballs will actually melt and re-solder itself to the chipset. You can then reattach everything and the xbox should work fine.

For in-detail steps please see

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=599216

toggletoggle post by ffsmasher  at Oct 15,2007 3:05pm
actually one thing you have to do is remove the x-clamp and use your own screws and washers

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Oct 15,2007 3:07pm
this ring doesn't look red.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Oct 15,2007 3:14pm
i thought this was about a tick bite.

toggletoggle post by thegreatspaldino   at Oct 15,2007 3:26pm
MS extended their warranties to like 3 years or something like that so you dont have to pay some random guy anything and you just send it to MS and a few weeks later you have it back. its just the fact that you shouldnt have to do that at all. the newer chipset 360's apparently dont have this design flaw so you shouldnt have to worry about it.

toggletoggle post by metalguy at Oct 15,2007 5:03pm
brokebox 360

ps3 niggs!

toggletoggle post by thegreatspaldino   at Oct 15,2007 5:05pm
ps3 is awesome if you want a system that costs a crap ton and that has no "killer apps" making you REALLY want to buy it

toggletoggle post by fuck logging in at Oct 15,2007 8:02pm
game cube!!!!!!!!!!!

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Oct 15,2007 10:09pm
Dreamcast >>>>>

toggletoggle post by metalguy at Oct 15,2007 10:26pm edited Oct 15,2007 10:28pm
Folklore, Warhawk, Resistance, Stanglehold with a blu-ray copy of Hard Boiled , and it has a kick ass blu-ray player... off the top of my head..

toggletoggle post by metalguy at Oct 15,2007 10:27pm
O yea... GTA4 will be released on the ps3 as well.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Oct 15,2007 10:28pm
Dreamcast had Shen Mu and Virtua Tennis and that Godzilla fighting game

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney nli at Oct 15,2007 11:22pm
Dreamcast also had Jet Set Radio, Soul Calibur, Bangai-O!, Skies of Arcadia and a bunch of Capcom VS. games.

toggletoggle post by thegreatspaldino   at Oct 16,2007 12:14am
metalguy said:
Folklore, Warhawk, Resistance, Stanglehold with a blu-ray copy of Hard Boiled , and it has a kick ass blu-ray player... off the top of my head..

Folklore... ehhhhhhh
Warhawk... multiplayer only and its pretty shallow not to mention a HUGE let down
Stranglehold... *shrug*
Resistance... its mediocre at best

the blu-ray player is the best part of the ps3. infact the only game i can think of right now that i want to play that isnt on 360 as well is Tekken 5 DR... thats it. PS3 is losing all of its exclusive titles square is pulling out of PS3 development after Final Fantasy XIII... i mean... it doesnt look that great for the PS3...

the ps3 needs its "Halo 3". mgs4 is coming out for it but i dont think that would be enough to push ps3's out the door like hotcakes like Halo 3 did for the 360. if the ps3 had a much better software library and was easier to dev for and was a little cheaper, i think it would fare better. its been a year since it came out... the 360 starting to EXPLODE with hit titles and stuff by its first bday... why hasnt the ps3 done the same?

toggletoggle post by thegreatspaldino   at Oct 16,2007 12:15am
metalguy said:
O yea... GTA4 will be released on the ps3 as well.

GTA4 has more content on 360 if i remember correctly...

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Oct 16,2007 12:45am
resistance was fucking awesome.

toggletoggle post by pires at Oct 16,2007 8:37am
so was gears of war... and bioshock, and halo3, and mass effect looks to be sweet as well... all 360 exclusives... take THAT sony!!!

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Oct 16,2007 10:32am
brian_dc said:
Dreamcast >>>>>

its such a shame that system flopped. the bass fishing game on that was fucking awesome.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:spell something wrong or you=narc
[default homepage] [print][9:02:46pm Apr 19,2024
load time 0.01344 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]