New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> I just fixed my own ipod by demondave on Oct 3,2007 11:19pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by demondave at Oct 3,2007 11:19pm edited Oct 3,2007 11:19pm

My ipod died 2 months ago. It started making clicking noises and then displayed a "sad face" in the screen. My ipod is around 3 years old. Perhaps a little more. It is a 60 gb version.

I happened to be in the providence place mall with my fiancee, and the ipod was in my glove compartment. I grabbed it and went into the apple store there. They took it in back and "recalibrated" it in seconds. It was working again, but they informed me that it was on its last legs and there is no telling how long it lasts.

It died again less that 48 hours later.

I found a website of a guy that took apart one and replaced the hard drive. I decided that the clicking had to be the arm of the hard drive, and there was no "recalibrating" that was really done at all. I popped open the case, pulled up the hard drive and snapped/flicked/banged it with my finger. Like you would flick a coin off a table.

I put the hard drive back in and powered it up and
voilą
It works fine.

I intend to do this until it truly dies. Even then, I'm going to order a toshiba 1.8" hard drive from ebay and plug that in instead of buying a new one...

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Oct 3,2007 11:21pm
finally, an iPod success story.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Oct 4,2007 12:09am
those drives afre cheap enough on ebayz

toggletoggle post by hyper_sludge at Oct 4,2007 12:18am
I'll just stick with my sony discman. it's a little larger but I can drop the fucker off a roof and have it still work fine.

toggletoggle post by demondave at Oct 4,2007 12:20am

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Oct 4,2007 9:53am
... and saved!

Seriously, if you're even slightly technically astute and determined, they can be fixed. But generally speaking, when you send them back to be repaired, the technician plugs it in, reloads the software and charges the battery, sees that it's still broken, laughs at you and the money you're about to be spending, and sends it back to Sony so they can refurbish it and sell it to somebody else. (That tech was me, for about a year.)

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Oct 4,2007 1:20pm
It seems like I'm the only person that has never had a single problem with an iPod...either way, I will remember this thread if I ever have problems in the future.

toggletoggle post by RichHorror  at Oct 4,2007 1:22pm
I haven't either. We're tops in the iPod biz.

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Oct 4,2007 1:25pm
Fa shizzox.

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Oct 4,2007 1:29pm edited Oct 4,2007 1:31pm
MarkFuckingRichards said:
It seems like I'm the only person that has never had a single problem with an iPod...either way, I will remember this thread if I ever have problems in the future.

I've never had a problem with my ipod, just Itunes software.

My ipod is fairly new though.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Oct 4,2007 1:46pm
I'm posting in this thread mainly to save it for later.

But yeah my girlfriend had a problem with her Creative Zen Micro. I looked it up, and it seems like a decent amount of people (the headphone jack shits out) had the same problem, but Creative wasn't doing anything about it. I heard horror stories about people bringing it to techs complaining of the headphones, and techs wanting to replace the motherboard for hundreds of dollars. I researched it, and found a site where a guy diagramed step by step instructions on how to disassemble and fix it. It worked great, saved her a ton of money, and I got to use a soldering iron.

win win win.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Oct 4,2007 1:47pm
xmikex said:
I'm posting in this thread mainly to save it for later.

PSTING IN AN IPOD THREAD

toggletoggle post by mOe  at Oct 4,2007 1:47pm
I had problems at the beginning with my ipod but only because my laptop is so shitty. I started updating the music and software @ work with my sweet work desktop and have never had a problem since.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Oct 4,2007 1:50pm
xmikex said:
I heard horror stories about people bringing it to techs complaining of the headphones, and techs wanting to replace the motherboard for hundreds of dollars.

If the place where I worked is any indication, it's not even so much that they're trying to screw you out of the money (not that they're gonna lose sleep over it), as it is that the techs hate soldering jacks direct to the board - the friggin' solder pads always lift off, and then you have a 50/50 chance to hot glue it on and still have it make contact, or you just ruined the board. Way too much of a PITA to still end up ordering the part.

toggletoggle post by Joshtruction   at Oct 4,2007 2:26pm
I have had my ipod for 2 years, and I have dropped it and all around beat the shit out of the thing. I have never had a single problem with it.

toggletoggle post by xanonymousx at Oct 11,2007 4:16pm
this works.
i didn't have a screwdriver so i just used two .73mm guitar picks.

toggletoggle post by W3 nli at Oct 11,2007 4:26pm
mine just did that sadface thingie today, its one of the older 80gb so im hoping its still good to go after i bring it to the apple store.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Oct 11,2007 4:32pm
sadface thingy usually means the end of the world. apple will tell you to go f yaself. Gotta be diy about it.

toggletoggle post by W3 nli at Oct 11,2007 4:44pm
brian i dont wanna hear that, i went to the support page and they said it was something simple to fix. i just dont have the cord to connect to the computer right now.

toggletoggle post by xanonymousx at Oct 11,2007 10:06pm
sometimes that doesn't work.
thats what mine does from time to time and if i just drop it or slam it down against something it works
but today i just popped the case off and flicked the harddrive a few times and it worked.

toggletoggle post by W3 nli at Oct 11,2007 11:12pm
haha ugh, this scares me more then finding out i got a girl knocked up

toggletoggle post by demondave at Oct 11,2007 11:46pm

hey - I've gone a week with no further problems so far .....

toggletoggle post by demondave at Apr 7,2011 6:09pm
This ipod -(that was supposed to "be on it's last legs" according to the apple store)- lasted another 3 years and 3 months. I could have picked up a new hard drive for around $60 and put it in, but a friend of mind got me an ipod touch.

toggletoggle post by sxealex   at Apr 7,2011 6:15pm
ehh its not like anyone can tell whether a hardrive is gonna work correctly if u smash it on something nawm say

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Festering Lugubrious Hell
[default homepage] [print][3:18:21am Apr 25,2024
load time 0.01491 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]