New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> No Wave and the destruction of punk. by vein_water on Sep 27,2007 8:32pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by vein_water   at Sep 27,2007 8:32pm
Are any of you fellow RTTP forum junkies into the no-wave scene/music. I'm talking about bands like Sonic Youth, Swans, Theoretical Girls, Teenage Jesus and The Jerks, DNA, Naked City (and early Zorn works). I am aware of the influence Swans have on Hirudinea and Sonic Youths influence on Cryostasium. Yet I have a feeling/hunch some of you others are into the scene that was supposed to be the ultimate non comformist genre of music.

toggletoggle post by thuringwethil at Sep 27,2007 8:37pm
YES

Swans, Teenage Jesus and the Jerks/8 eyed spy, early Sonic Youth, Television, Voidoids, Suicide, PiL,...even more...god so fucking many great bands.

you should check out "Rip It Up and Start Again: Postpunk 1978-1984" by Simon Reynolds it's one of my favorite books

toggletoggle post by vein_water   at Sep 27,2007 8:38pm
thuringwethil said:
YES

Swans, Teenage Jesus and the Jerks/8 eyed spy, early Sonic Youth, Television, Voidoids, Suicide, PiL,...even more...god so fucking many great bands.

you should check out "Rip It Up and Start Again: Postpunk 1978-1984" by Simon Reynolds it's one of my favorite books

i read that book last summer for a final paper I did on how music ultimately influences/changes western culture.

toggletoggle post by vein_water   at Sep 27,2007 8:39pm
you'd consider Television a no wave band? Interesting opinion. I might have to give them a few more listenings. I always put them more in the genre of punk/rock in the likes of Talking Heads, Blondie.

toggletoggle post by thuringwethil at Sep 27,2007 8:42pm
good point, anything clangy and dissonant gets me

but early-mid 80's Swans are the kings (and queen, although they had Jarboe waaaaaaaaay in the background for years)

toggletoggle post by vein_water   at Sep 27,2007 8:46pm
I'm listening to Glen Branca symphonies right now. You have to check out the album Glen Branca "Selections From Symphonies (For Electric Guitar)".

It features an allstar lineup including Michael Gira, Lee Renaldo, Thurston Moore, and Page Hamilton.

Killer shit for psychonauts.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:you are signing your life away
[default homepage] [print][3:47:51pm Apr 23,2024
load time 0.00874 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]