New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Internet question regarding download threshold by MarkFuckingRichards on Sep 27,2007 5:55pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Sep 27,2007 5:55pm
I've been looking at satellite internet plans and Hughes seems to be the only company that aren't a bunch of fucking retards. Only problem is, their download threshold is lower than some of the other companies. The "Pro" option allows 375 MB; in the description of terms it says that the download threshold is the volume of data that can be downloaded continuously. Is this something I'm going to have to worry about? I'm not 100% sure what the download threshold entails, so any info on that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Oh, and just so you know, I don't game, so anything that has to do with gaming does not apply to my situation. I just want to make sure that if I'm downloading large files, as well uploading high resolution files to my website, I'm not going to get fucked.

toggletoggle post by Murph  at Sep 27,2007 9:00pm
I wish this was a question about your flesh-hold.

toggletoggle post by DeRtOxIa   at Sep 28,2007 12:00am
if i understand that right then thats the amount of data that can be sent in one connection. so if you're downloading from a centralized server then you could only download up to 375MB per connection. But...if you're downloading over bit torrent then it won't matter because you can have dozens and dozens of connections that open and close. So pretty much, day to day stuff you wont be affected at all. But if at some point you try to download some big software update from a website or a massive video from a single person or something then you might run into problems.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Sep 28,2007 8:57am
DeRtOxIa said:
if i understand that right then thats the amount of data that can be sent in one connection. so if you're downloading from a centralized server then you could only download up to 375MB per connection. But...if you're downloading over bit torrent then it won't matter because you can have dozens and dozens of connections that open and close. So pretty much, day to day stuff you wont be affected at all. But if at some point you try to download some big software update from a website or a massive video from a single person or something then you might run into problems.

I wouldn't see why they would put a cap on something like that for no reason. What do they care where the packets come from? They'd still be sending them to Mark's house regardless.

I'd call them back and read to them: "the download threshold is the volume of data that can be downloaded continuously". Then ask them what in the flying fuck they're talking about.

I'm wondering if they're giving you a maximum amount of data you can download for a month or something. If that's the case, that blows. Call up and ask them.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Sep 28,2007 9:00am
MSD's last line sounds more plausible. in canada, they have 1GB/mo plans and stuff like that. you don't want to be like canada do you?

toggletoggle post by sxealex   at Sep 28,2007 9:10am
yea 375 megs would be a waste of life.

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Sep 28,2007 11:20am
I'm calling them in a few minutes. I'm pretty sure they don't mean 375 MB per month can be downloaded, but if they do, then they can eat a bag of dicks.

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Sep 28,2007 1:31pm
The 375 MB download threshold pretty much means that within 24 hours, 1 computer hooked up to the satellite can only download 375 MB at full speed within 24 hours, BUT there is a 3 hour unlimited download period from 3 am to 6 am. If I was to download a 500 MB file, it would just bump me down to a dial up connection speed (which is what I have now, so it really doesn't make a difference to me, haha) after I hit 375, then at 3 am it would push me back up to full speed. Compared to all the other satellite services I've looked into, this is the best one.

WildBlue can suck a dick, by the way. Hughes FTW.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Sep 28,2007 2:39pm
OK. After hearing that description, the initial description they gave you of "the download threshold is the volume of data that can be downloaded continously" is vague and poorly written. If all they do is bump you down to dialup speed then I guess that's OK. I would have been worried if they start to charge you extra if you go over that threshold everyday, but it sounds like you're safe.

toggletoggle post by DeRtOxIa   at Sep 28,2007 2:43pm
oh yeah, you know my friend has satellite and i remember him getting pissed when hit his limit. I think for him it was weekly and something like a few Gigabytes but then just like you said it would bump him down to slow speeds. I don't know if it just stopped using the satellite and used the phone line exclusively once it was over the limit....or if it just used the satellite at a slower speed.

If all you do is look at websites and do email with an occasional large download then i don't see you hitting that limit very often. And then even if you do once 3am hit's then you're fine.

Sounds like a good deal

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Sep 28,2007 2:44pm
Yeah that would suck balls if they charged for shit like that. It seems that the only downside to the company aside from the download threshold (which isn't even that bad in my opinion) is that they don't offer TV. But, I don't give a fuck about that, and it's probably better that they focus on internet rather than splitting up their services to multiple markets.

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Sep 28,2007 2:47pm
Maybe I'll just make sure I'm wide awake from 3 am to 6 am so I never get shafted, haha.

toggletoggle post by DeRtOxIa   at Sep 28,2007 3:09pm
if you just start a download at say midnight then it should start running full speed at 3am on its own right?

so you should be able to start a bunch of stuff downloading and then go to sleep and by the time you wake up they should be done.

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Sep 28,2007 3:38pm
Indeed I can. And indeed I shall.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:type...click...no thinking required
[default homepage] [print][12:55:07am Apr 19,2024
load time 0.02389 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]