New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Anyone use satellite for internet? by MarkFuckingRichards on Aug 12,2007 12:41pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Aug 12,2007 12:41pm
I may have posted this question before, but I can't remember. Any advice/info about satellite internet would be greatly appreciated.

toggletoggle post by powerkok   at Aug 12,2007 2:54pm
yes, dont get it if you plan on being online while it rains.
I hear this complaint the most from people I know with satnet.

toggletoggle post by Arist  at Aug 12,2007 3:08pm
I wouldn't get it in general, way too unreliable

toggletoggle post by Niccolai   at Aug 12,2007 3:10pm
My highschool had satelite internet, it never went down, and was never anything except for insanely fast.

It can't be any more unreliable than satelite TV can it?

toggletoggle post by Niccolai   at Aug 12,2007 3:16pm
besides, I don't think you are bonded by contract to keep it for a certain amount of time like a cellphone... so if it doesn't work cancel it after the first month.

toggletoggle post by Arist  at Aug 12,2007 3:29pm
The reason I don't like it is because the upload speed is insanely pitiful like using a dialup connection sometimes, it's really not recommended if you do lots of gaming online, but that's just my reason. And unreliable in the sense that if there's weather or it's being used on peak hours you'll have trouble using it. I guess it's ok to use in a more urban area, but in my area of the woods I've got trees all over the goddamn place, so mine would be like 50% efficiency

Yeah you can definitely cancel the service after the first month, I wonder if the installation is free though

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 12,2007 4:11pm
I used to install DirecWay (DirecTV's satellite broadband service). A few things:

It's very fast downloading, comparable to cable. Uploading, not so much - the transmitter just can't handle it. Gaming, no. Downloading gigs and gigs of tentacle rape hentai, yes. And, yes, the weather can really effect it, and if it gets whacked you have to have it re-pointed, which is a pain in the balls for everyone involved.

Installation wasn't free when I was doing it (two years ago), but that may have changed.

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Aug 12,2007 9:34pm
Thanks for the info. I have dial-up right now and will forever be stuck with dial-up...well until I move out of the parents' house, but I don't plan on doing that until I can own a condo/house, haha. Fuck rent.

Anyway, we have such a long driveway (approx. 1/8 mile) that it would cost us something like $1500-2000 just to get the extra cable up our driveway, since the next available cable box is all the way at the end of the driveway and down the street a little bit. So, unless I decide to dish out all that money to get cable, it's never going to get done. My mother is teaching some online classes and needs the internet a lot for it, so she told me to look into satellite internet. I think we'll be getting it since it's our only option until my town finally decides to join the rest of the world and make DSL available. All I'd ever need to upload are songs onto my bands' myspace pages and high resolution versions of my artwork.

toggletoggle post by Arist  at Aug 12,2007 10:06pm
In that case Satellite will be perfect for ya

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Aug 12,2007 10:11pm
Sweet. Are there certain service companies that are better than others, or would I just have to figure out what's best in my area?

toggletoggle post by Niccolai   at Aug 12,2007 11:06pm edited Aug 12,2007 11:11pm
Get T1

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Aug 13,2007 10:36am
A friend of mine had Satelite. According to him, it wasn't as fast as cable internet as far as download speeds go. He said he could just DOWNLOAD off the satelite. You had to upload over an analog phone line though. And he said the latency was terrible, so no gaming. This could just be the service he was set up with though. This may not be how all Satelite is.

Niccolai said:
My highschool had satelite internet, it never went down, and was never anything except for insanely fast.

Are you sure it just wasn't a microwave connection? I'm on a backup microwave connection at work right now. I'm streaming CP over the South Shore plaza to a tower in the Quincy quarries. It's fast fast fast.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 13,2007 10:48am
menstrual_sweatpants_disco said:
Are you sure it just wasn't a microwave connection? I'm on a backup microwave connection at work right now. I'm streaming CP over the South Shore plaza to a tower in the Quincy quarries. It's fast fast fast.

You can tell because Pedobear's up there with a net, trying to snag the lolis out of the air.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Aug 13,2007 10:54am
ahahahaha

toggletoggle post by Mess at Aug 13,2007 11:32am
why can't i figure out what cp stands for yet? that and this /b/ thing? oh ey?

toggletoggle post by slow at Aug 13,2007 11:32am
Satellite Internet services are used in locations where terrestrial Internet access is not available and in locations which move frequently. Internet access via satellite is available worldwide, including vessels at sea and mobile land vehicles. There are three types of satellite Internet service:

* one-way multicast,
* one-way with terrestrial return, and
* very small aperture terminal (VSAT) (two-way) satellite access.

One-way multicast

One-way multicast satellite Internet systems are used for Internet Protocol (IP) multicast-based data, audio and video distribution. In the U.S., a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) license is required only for the uplink station and no license is required for users. Note that most Internet protocols will not work correctly over one-way access, since they require a return channel. However, Internet content such as web pages can still be distributed over a one-way system by "pushing" them out to local storage at end user sites, though full interactivity is not possible. This is much like TV or radio content which offers little user interface.

[edit] System hardware components

Similar to one-way terrestrial return, satellite Internet access may include interfaces to the public switched telephone network for squawk box applications. An Internet connection is not required, but many applications include an File Transfer Protocol (FTP) server to queue data for broadcast.

[edit] System software components

Most one-way multicast applications require custom programming at the remote sites. The software at the remote site must filter, store, present a selection interface to and display the data. The software at the transmitting station must provide access control, priority queueing, sending, and encapsulating of the data.

[edit] One-way with terrestrial return

One-way terrestrial return satellite Internet systems are used with traditional dial-up access to the Internet, with outbound data traveling through a telephone modem, but downloads sent via satellite at a speed near that of broadband Internet access. In the U.S., an FCC license is required for the uplink station only; no license is required for the users.

[edit] System hardware components

The transmitting station (also called "teleport", "head end", "uplink facility", or "hub") has two components:

* Internet connection: The ISP's routers connect to proxy servers which can enforce quality of service (QoS) bandwidth limits and guarantees for user traffic. These are then connected to a DVB encapsulator which is then connected to a DVB-S modem. The radio frequency (RF) signal from the DVB-S modem is connected to an up converter which is connected via feed line to the outdoor unit.
* Satellite uplink: The block upconverter (BUC) and optional low-noise block converter (LNB), which may use a waveguide to connect to the optional orthomode transducer (OMT) which is bolted to the feed horn which is connected by metal supports to the satellite dish and mount.

At the remote location (Earth station) the setup consists of:

* Outdoor unit
o Satellite dish with mount
o Feedhorn
o Universal LNB, for Ku band.
o Feed line
* Indoor unit
o DVB-S Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) card internal to a computer
o or, DVB external modem where an 8P8C (RJ-45) Ethernet port or a Universal Serial Bus (USB) port connects the modem to the computer

Depending on the providers terms of contract, one cost effective way to use 1-way satellite internet is to use General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) for the back-channel.[citation needed] By utilizing a 9600 bps (9.6 kbit/s) connection that is offered in standard GPRS, the upload volume is very low and since this service is not per-time charged, users are able to surf and download in broadband speeds. There are companies offering speed up to 24 Mbits. Another view of using GPRS as return would be the mobility when the service is provided by a satellite that transmits in the field of 50 to 53 dBW. Using a 33 cm wide satellite dish, a notebook and a normal GPRS equipped GSM phone, users can get broadband everywhere.

[edit] System software components

Remote sites require a minimum of programming to provide authentication and set proxy server settings. Filtering is usually provided by the DVB card driver.

Often, non-standard IP stacks are used to address the latency and asymmetry problems of the satellite connection. Data sent over the satellite link is generally also encrypted, as otherwise it would be accessible to anyone with a satellite receiver.

Many IP-over-satellite implementations use paired proxy servers at both endpoints so that clients and servers do not need to accept the latency inherent in a satellite connection. For similar reasons, there exist special Virtual private network (VPN) implementations designed for use over satellite links because standard VPN software cannot handle the long packet travel times.

Upload speeds are limited by the user's dial-up modem, and latency is high, as it is for any satellite based Internet. Download speeds can be very fast compared to dial-up:1 Mbits,4 Mbits,16 Mbits packages are generally offered.

[edit] Theory of operation
The back panel of a satellite modem, with coaxial connections for both incoming and outgoing signals, and an Ethernet port for connection to the internal network.
The back panel of a satellite modem, with coaxial connections for both incoming and outgoing signals, and an Ethernet port for connection to the internal network.

Remote sites use the proxy server at the earth station (teleport), which is configured to route all outbound traffic to the QoS server, which makes sure no user exceeds their allotted bandwidth or monthly traffic limits. Traffic is then sent to the encapsulator, which puts the IP packets inside of DVB packets. The DVB packets are then sent to the DVB modem and then to the transmitter (BUC).

[edit] Two-way

Two-way satellite Internet service sends data from remote sites via satellite to a hub, which then sends the data to the Internet. The satellite dish at each location must be precisely positioned to avoid interference with other satellites. The oscillators in some radar detectors can cause interference with these systems. Also, each location must use power management to adjust the amount of transmit power to compensate for things like rain fade. There are several types of two way satellite Internet services, such as time division multiple access (TDMA) or single channel per carrier (SCPC).

Each remote location is also equipped with a telephone modem; the connections for this are as with a conventional dial-up ISP. Two way satellite systems may sometimes use the modem channel in both directions for data where latency is more important than bandwidth, reserving the satellite channel for download data where bandwidth is more important than latency, such as for file transfers.

Uplink speeds rarely exceed one megabit per second and latency can be up to one second. Satellite phone services such as Iridium also provide data services at the comparatively slow speed of 2400 bit/s.

International Mobile Satellite Organization (INMARSAT) offers three bidirectional satellite internet services called Broadband Global Area Network (BGAN), Regional BGAN and MPDS, neither of which have to be precisely aligned but the speeds are lower than the dish-based systems and bandwidth costs are much higher. BGAN has the highest data rate. Thuraya offers a similar service but this is not as fast as BGAN.

In 2006 the European Commission sponsored the UNIC project which aims at developing an end-to-end scientific test bed for the distribution of new broadband interactive TV-centric services delivered over low-cost two-way satellite to actual end-users in the home. The UNIC architecture employs DVB-S2 standard for downlink and DVB-RCS standard for uplink.

[edit] Reducing satellite latency

One solution is to use satellites in much lower orbit very close to the Earth, to shorten the travel distance. Such orbital paths are no longer geostationary, and so would require a large number of satellites in orbit so that at least one is visible in the sky at all times. Communication dishes could no longer be fixed, and would either need some way to track the satellites as they move across the sky, or to work in an omnidirectional manner without causing interference for anything else.

A theoretical alternative to satellites that is being explored is the use of ultra-light solar powered airplane (see the NASA Pathfinder) that could fly in a continuous a circling path perhaps 70,000 feet (20 km) high or an airship (see Stratellite). These would act as flying satellites, providing high-speed service to customers below the aircraft. Since the roundtrip signal distance would only be 30 miles, the latency caused by the speed of light is an almost insignificant 0.1 ms under the craft, and 2 ms at the edge of the covered area, at a 300 km (200 miles) distance. Such service via aircraft is still in the experimental stages as of 2006.

Another practical method which can lower latency is to configure the satellite with a robust computer and cache. Much of the slowdown associated with satellite Internet is that for each request, many roundtrips must be completed before any useful data can be received by the requester.[1] A well-maintained cache located in space would alleviate many of the full round-trips. Caching would assist in speeds as well; When cached data is requested, it takes less than half of the normal time to receive the response, speeding up the time normally wasted on mere latency. Of course, this method requires some forethought by the people who design the satellite - it is impractical to retrofit older satellites with new equipment such as this.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 13,2007 11:45am
Or, you could delete your system32 folder.

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Aug 13,2007 11:59am edited Aug 13,2007 12:00pm
DestroyYouAlot said:

Don't worry, I deleted it a while ago. It makes my computer LIGHTNING fast and impenetrable by viruses. I suggest everyone deletes their system32 folder. It's just taking up precious space.

toggletoggle post by slow at Aug 13,2007 12:02pm
MarkFuckingRichards said:
DestroyYouAlot said:

Don't worry, I deleted it a while ago. It makes my computer LIGHTNING fast and impenetrable by viruses. I suggest everyone deletes their system32 folder. It's just taking up precious space.

where is the system32 folder? is it in finder or do i click on the apple?

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Aug 13,2007 12:06pm
If you really delete your system32 folder, you will surely live up to your posting name.

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Aug 13,2007 12:08pm
Oh, and Macs don't have system32 folders.

toggletoggle post by slow at Aug 13,2007 12:11pm
damn i wanted to live up to my name. i wanted to get "made" gangsta.

how about i put as much shit in my trashcan as possible and do a Secure Empty Trash would that be metal or at least hardcore?

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Aug 13,2007 12:15pm
That would be soft rock like a muthafucka.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 13,2007 12:17pm

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Aug 13,2007 12:22pm
More like KVLTifornia! HEYO!

toggletoggle post by slow at Aug 13,2007 12:28pm

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:skynet is always watching protecting you
[default homepage] [print][9:50:38am Mar 28,2024
load time 0.02352 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]