New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Dillinger Escape Plan on drummer leaving to join Coheed and Cambria by brian_dc on Jul 16,2007 8:25pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jul 16,2007 8:25pm edited Jul 16,2007 8:25pm

"Last month, when the Dillinger Escape Plan revealed that founding drummer Chris Pennie had left the highly technical mathcore outfit to join progressive rockers Coheed and Cambria, no one wanted to believe it. The surprise move baffled the band's allegiant fans almost as much as it confused the Dillinger dudes, who started to wonder if Pennie had been fostering some strange, secret obsession with unicorns and minotaurs.

"We found out about him playing with Coheed on the Internet," explained guitarist Ben Weinman. "[Frontman] Greg [Puciato] forwarded me a link to an announcement, and I'm like, 'What?!?' At that point, though, he was just going to record with them — it wasn't like he wasn't going to play with us, but we were questioning keeping him in the band every day because it was embarrassing. But obviously, we felt that his talent was so needed for the band that we tried to make it work, and we let him go through this little midlife crisis or whatever it was, because we never thought he'd join that band over this band. It doesn't make sense. They're not Linkin Park. If you're going to sell out, sell out, you know?

"It's unbelievable, and the funny thing is, before all of this started going down, he used to make fun of that band, left and right," Weinman continued. "He'd imitate [Coheed frontman Claudio Sanchez's] voice and would say, 'They f---ing suck' and all this sh--. It's funny, because everybody just looks at us like, 'Huh?' And we had the same reaction. The other day, we were hanging out with [(+44) kitman] Travis Barker, [and] the guy we have playing drums with us now [Stolen Babies' Gil Sharone] is good friends with him, and he's a big Dillinger fan, and he's like, 'What happened to your drummer?' We told him, 'He quit and joined Coheed,' and he just looked so confused."

But Weinman said there wasn't one specific reason behind Pennie's departure. It had nothing to do with internal strife or a difference of opinion within the band. It wasn't a matter of not liking the direction Dillinger's new material was going in. It just was.

According to Weinman, Pennie also came under fire from the band's label, Relapse Records, for working with other bands on their records without first clearing it with them — for instance, Pennie lent his talents to the forthcoming Idiot Pilot LP Wolves.

"We're contractually obligated to a record label, and when you are in a contract you can't just go playing with other bands without getting permission," he explained. "That's just how it is. You can't just go playing on people's records and not deal with the business side of it. Chris would do that all the time and didn't want to deal with the legal side of it and didn't understand why he had to. We were breaching our contract because of it. Really, at the end of the day, he ended up doing a session gig with Claudio for something he was working on for a soundtrack, and I guess [Coheed] were looking for a new drummer and they asked him to play. I guess they offered him a bunch of money."

Ultimately, though, Pennie didn't record a single note for Coheed's upcoming album, No World for Tomorrow. Instead, the band recruited Foo Fighter Taylor Hawkins for the task, leaving Pennie "a fill-in drummer for Taylor Hawkins. He's basically the f---ing live player for that dude."

Now that Dillinger have found a replacement for Pennie in Sharone, Weinman said the band can once again focus on finishing Ire Works, the much-anticipated follow-up to 2004's Miss Machine, which is being produced out in California by Steve Evetts (Sepultura, He Is Legend) and is being earmarked for an October release.

"When Chris hears our record, he's going to feel like a real a--hole," Weinman said, with confidence. "He blew it. This guy Gil we have playing on this, his drumming is unbelievable on this record. Some of the best drumming we've ever had on any of our records. And now, Gil is going to be known as the guy for this kind of thing. This would have been the record that set Chris up as a drumming dude — as a session guy, a clinic guy — and now, Gil's already got all these companies doing ads based on him playing on this record."

Dillinger Escape Plan will tour in support of Ire Works this fall. First, they'll head over to Europe for a run of gigs with Meshuggah, and the guitarist said the plan, for now, is to bring the same package over to the States this winter. As for how the record sounds? Weinman said fans can expect it to be "just as diverse as" Miss Machine.

"On this record, it's just sort of like a combination of almost everything we've done in the past, but on overdrive," he said of the album, which will include the tracks "Black Bubblegum," "Death's Head Moth" and "Saigon Whore." "Everything is just right. We figured it out. And everything is pretty emotional, too. Everything's really super angry, even when the music isn't all that aggressive. With these songs it's like, 'Oh, you're about to get complacent with where you're at with this song,' and then, all of a sudden, it hits you in the ass again and jerks you around. It's like being on a f---ed-up roller coaster."

-mtv.com

lol @ Chris Pennie taking a back seat to Taylor Hawkins for the album
Informational and Related Links
Bands:

Dillinger Escape Plan

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jul 16,2007 8:29pm
but also lol @ dep for crying like girls

toggletoggle post by timjohn at Jul 16,2007 8:31pm
oh well both bands suck ass anyway

toggletoggle post by ZenErik   at Jul 16,2007 8:39pm
I'm looking forward to the new album. Before I heard it was going to be more like Calculating Infinity, but I'm glad to here that it's going to be as diverse as Miss Machine. I like the semi-versatile DEP, over the 99% fuck shit up DEP.

toggletoggle post by thegreatspaldino   at Jul 16,2007 8:48pm
how are they crying about this? its wicked fucked up that the guy would play for a band he made fun of, supposedly.

toggletoggle post by archaeon at Jul 16,2007 8:49pm
pretty old news

toggletoggle post by murph nli at Jul 16,2007 8:58pm
I think Taylor Hawkins is an awesome drummer, but Pennie is definitely a fucking idiot for leaving for a band he's never recorded for.

He's not some hack, the kid has serious chops.

What a weird situation, I love Coheed more than anyone on this board, and even though I think their new album and tours will be great, its just not a great fit. Pennie will have to mold, because Coheed just isn't as progressive as I'm sure they think they are, and they probably saw Pennie's interest and got a hard-on, but its just ghey.

Hopefully new DEP will be sweet; I too was a huge fan of Miss Machine, and I'm souped about the new stuff.

toggletoggle post by metalguy at Jul 16,2007 8:59pm
hah

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jul 16,2007 10:09pm
thegreatspaldino said:
how are they crying about this? its wicked fucked up that the guy would play for a band he made fun of, supposedly.

I think everyone involved in this is gay and french and on fire.

toggletoggle post by murph nli at Jul 16,2007 10:16pm
brian_dc said:
thegreatspaldino said:

I think everyone involved in this is gay and french and on fire.

leave the French out of this Williams, or I'm gonna have to call you out in public. Cauliflower ear, and a randy wrasslin', that's what I'm offerin, you Limey bastard.

toggletoggle post by ohgodthisisawful at Jul 16,2007 10:18pm
dillenger escape plan is one of the most over-rated bands ever.

toggletoggle post by murph nli at Jul 16,2007 10:20pm
ohgodthisisawful said:
dillenger escape plan is one of the most over-rated bands ever.

So is spelling, and hypenating words that need not be hypenated.

toggletoggle post by murph nli at Jul 16,2007 10:20pm
haha, my spelling sucks too.

HYPHEN!

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jul 16,2007 10:32pm
that's it

everyone in this thread is getting hymen-ated

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jul 16,2007 10:37pm
murph nli said:

HYPHEN!

This, sir, is why we log in.

toggletoggle post by murph nli at Jul 16,2007 10:40pm
DestroyYouAlot said:
murph nli said:

HYPHEN!

This, sir, is why we log in.

and my laziness, ensues.

toggletoggle post by ryan cutler at Jul 22,2007 6:41pm
the drummer has sense
bands who join record labels that have contracts are fucking stupid and have no true passion for music
props to the drummer for not putting up with record label buisness
dillinger thinking is as cheap as their music

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jul 22,2007 9:23pm
but

he joined coheed and cambria

um

don't you think they have a contract?

wait

what?

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jul 22,2007 9:25pm
ill probably like coheeds new album, and the new DEP will be miss machine #2 and suck.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jul 22,2007 9:27pm
get some alanis morisette drums on that track.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jul 22,2007 9:28pm
blue, dillinger's new drummer is a beast. I don't know that you're not right about it being miss machine 2, but I'll get it just to hear what that dude comes up with.

toggletoggle post by brad weymouth at Jul 22,2007 9:28pm
ryan cutler said:
the drummer has sense
bands who join record labels that have contracts are fucking stupid and have no true passion for music
props to the drummer for not putting up with record label buisness
dillinger thinking is as cheap as their music

you're just dumb. plain and simple

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead is watching you at Jul 22,2007 10:10pm
Who gives a fuck. At least he's still playing music.

Fucking better than Ken Schalk quitting Candiria and just disappearing off the planet.

I am curious to hear who they replaced Chris with in Dillinger, it's going to require a monster drummer if they intend to do any old tunes live.

I also find it a little gay the way the guys from DEP seem to have handled the situation. To go from having interviews linked on their website for years praising and glorifying the drummer, to shit talking him openly, is pretty sad. Kinda leaves me feeling he had a reason to leave.

And saying that "This would have been the record that set Chris up as a drumming dude — as a session guy, a clinic guy — " is pretty damned stupid. He IS the drumming dude, their first 3 albums already showed that. He does sessions, in fact I believe one of their complaints was that he wasn't clearing them with the label. They're blind as shit if they don't realize that Chris outpaced them a long fucking time ago, and it's them that will be needing to prove something with this next album.

Honestly, Chris is the only reason I'll even LISTEN to dillinger since they got Greg as a singer.

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jul 22,2007 10:18pm
brian_dc said:
blue, dillinger's new drummer is a beast. I don't know that you're not right about it being miss machine 2, but I'll get it just to hear what that dude comes up with.

oh, im very aware of the new drummers prowess. but that doesnt change the fact that hes probably not written shit for the new cd, and i have no confidence in the band wanting to get away from the miss machine sound. why would they want to? im sure theyre very content at the spot theyre at, they sure as hell couldntve gotten there just by putting another insane tech cd.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jul 22,2007 10:35pm
ArrowHead is watching you said:
Who gives a fuck. At least he's still playing music.

Fucking better than Ken Schalk quitting Candiria and just disappearing off the planet.

I am curious to hear who they replaced Chris with in Dillinger, it's going to require a monster drummer if they intend to do any old tunes live.

I also find it a little gay the way the guys from DEP seem to have handled the situation. To go from having interviews linked on their website for years praising and glorifying the drummer, to shit talking him openly, is pretty sad. Kinda leaves me feeling he had a reason to leave.

And saying that "This would have been the record that set Chris up as a drumming dude — as a session guy, a clinic guy — " is pretty damned stupid. He IS the drumming dude, their first 3 albums already showed that. He does sessions, in fact I believe one of their complaints was that he wasn't clearing them with the label. They're blind as shit if they don't realize that Chris outpaced them a long fucking time ago, and it's them that will be needing to prove something with this next album.

Honestly, Chris is the only reason I'll even LISTEN to dillinger since they got Greg as a singer.

Even as the guy who posted this, I agree with you pretty much outright.

I think it's amazingly unprofessional of dillinger to talk shit about him so long after the fact. Just seems kind of sad.

That being said, I think it's kinda sad that Pennie isn't actually recording the album, because why the fuck would I care about what he does with Coheed live. Honestly, I like Chris' playing so much that I would've bought that CD out of curiosity.

That being said, I'm going to post a few videos of the new guy, Gil Sharone. Because I think that he actually is as good as Pennie, maybe more well rounded and a little less rigid.

I'll scrounge up some of the better ones.

toggletoggle post by Niccolai   at Jul 22,2007 10:37pm
Gil is just as good, but IMO he doesn't have the substance or the creative fills Pennie does.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jul 22,2007 10:47pm
Gil at NAMM

bennyhillifier

some sweet reggae stuff

bennyhillifier

show off stuff

bennyhillifier

bear with the long stupid intro in which Ben actually bashes Chris some more. This and the last video are the only ones I've found with him playing dillinger stuff.

bennyhillifier

again, another dillinger webisode thing with more than just drumming. This one has only like 10% drumming. Only watch if you are truly that bored or care a little about the new album.

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jul 23,2007 3:27pm
bump for anyone who wanted to check out this dude's chops.

toggletoggle post by LOL! at Sep 30,2009 5:40pm
LOL!!!!

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:slacker tracker is watching
[default homepage] [print][4:22:08am Apr 18,2024
load time 0.03016 secs/16 queries]
[search][refresh page]