New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Anyone familiar with TMPGEnc? Trouble burning Heros by ArrowHead is watching you on Jun 25,2007 2:40pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by ArrowHead is watching you at Jun 25,2007 2:40pm
I'm trying to burn season 1 of heroes onto DVDs, so my girlfriend and I can watch them on the dvd player. Unfortunately, all of the episodes I've downloaded have variable bitrates for the audio, so I was experiencing bad sync issues every time I burned them. However, the video itself maintained it's widescreen ratio.

I found that if I use VirtualDub to extract the audio as an uncompressed .WAV file I'd get a really big file (audio file is about 400+ MB per episode) but if I then transcoded the file into an MPEG with TMPGEnc using this as the audio track, I'd no longer have sync issues at all.

Problem is, every time I transcode these files, I lose the widescreen aspect ratio and end up with a squished looking video. I'd prefer to maintain the original "letterbox" shape, but even after setting the aspect ratio to 16:9 NTSC in TMPGEnc wizard, I still end up with the same squished image. I think it's a 4:3 ratio on the final file.

What am I setting wrong, or how can I fix this? I just want to get back to watching the damned show, as I am currently going through Hiro withdrawl.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead is watching you at Jun 25,2007 2:57pm
p.s. - I'm also looking for good suggestions for theme music for the DVD menus. I'm looking for songs with a "heroes" theme. So far I've used both versions of "superheroes" from the EdGuy EP. Any other good ideas?

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jun 25,2007 2:58pm
there isn't an aspect ratio option on the encoding or when you burn the DVD? I'm guessing the DVD format should tell the decoder on you player what the format is.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead is watching you at Jun 25,2007 3:06pm
the_reverend said:
there isn't an aspect ratio option on the encoding or when you burn the DVD? I'm guessing the DVD format should tell the decoder on you player what the format is.

I'm losing the ratio before the burning stage. When I transcode to MPEG with TMPGEnc, the resulting video is out of ratio. There is an option, but it doesn't seem to actually change anything. So far I've tried selecting 16:9 NTSC, and 16:9 display, but the resultant video is still coming out at a 4:3 ratio.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead is watching you at Jun 25,2007 3:09pm
By the way, anyone that rips a movie or t.v. show with variable bitrate audio is an asshole. I'm so tired of having to re-dub all the fucking xvid rips I've downloaded.

toggletoggle post by MikePile at Jun 25,2007 3:10pm
1. Take your computer
2. Set it on fire
3. Leave fire unattended

Heros is burnt

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 25,2007 3:13pm
Oh, man, you just made my brain cry. I was having the same problem with Metalocalypse episodes; I can't remember what the fix was, but when I get home I'll poke around and see if I can reproduce it.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead is watching you at Jun 25,2007 3:17pm
DestroyYouAlot said:
I was having the same problem with Metalocalypse episodes;

Gaddamn it! After I finish Heroes, I was going to start burning the first season of Mealocalypse. The video gods hate me.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead is watching you at Jun 25,2007 3:21pm
Problem after problem. First, audio out of sync. I fix that, then the aspect ratio is coming out wrong. Now, as I watch the DVDs, the bitrate must be too high or something because they still stutter and freeze at certain points. This is after burning at 4X, 2-pass, highest quality, and building the structure on HD before burning to disc. I don't even know if I can go lower than that.

All this bullshit, because of one shitty HP lightscribe drive, and a bunch of retard rippers that use the xvid codecs and VBR audio.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 25,2007 3:30pm edited Jun 25,2007 3:33pm
ArrowHead is watching you said:
Problem after problem. First, audio out of sync. I fix that, then the aspect ratio is coming out wrong. Now, as I watch the DVDs, the bitrate must be too high or something because they still stutter and freeze at certain points. This is after burning at 4X, 2-pass, highest quality, and building the structure on HD before burning to disc. I don't even know if I can go lower than that.

All this bullshit, because of one shitty HP lightscribe drive, and a bunch of retard rippers that use the xvid codecs and VBR audio.

There's an XVCD tutorial on http://mst3k.dapcentral.org that was the basis of all my TMPEGmgmeh whatever the hell it's called experience; they deal with weird audio a bit. (The actual tutorial is here: http://www.dapcentral.org/modules.php?op=m...ndex&req=viewarticle&artid=2&page=1 ; you might also get some mileage out of this: http://www.dapcentral.org/faqs/vcd .) It's sort of an assbackwards process, but it seems to work on whatever I use it on. (Needless to say, you don't have to worry about video compression so much when you're using an actual DVD, but the idea is the same.)

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead is watching you at Jun 25,2007 3:35pm
You suck at linking, but so far a few of these look promising. Thank you.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 25,2007 3:37pm
You suck at linking, but so far a few of these look promising. Thank you.

Fucking tell me about it; I don't know what was in those links that was fighting with the URL function, but I gave up.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead is watching you at Jun 25,2007 3:42pm
AHA!

http://www.dapcentral.org/faqs/xvcd/images/advanced.jpg

In that image, the menu for "video arrange method" has an option for "full screen (preserve aspect ratio). I selected this, set 16:9 as the ratio. It's running now, and my fingers and toes are crossed. We'll see how the final files come out.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead is watching you at Jun 25,2007 3:46pm
By the way, this show is fucking addicting. I'm on episode 12 or 13 so far. I hope to have a tv PC set up by august, so I can record the episodes my self and do it the RIGHT way.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 25,2007 4:12pm
AHA!

http://www.dapcentral.org/faqs/xvcd/images/advanced.jpg

In that image, the menu for "video arrange method" has an option for "full screen (preserve aspect ratio). I selected this, set 16:9 as the ratio. It's running now, and my fingers and toes are crossed. We'll see how the final files come out.

IIRC, there's an option (I believe in an "advanced" menu) in one of the steps to set the aspect of the original file (as opposed to the output) - I'm pretty sure this is key.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead is watching you at Jun 25,2007 4:19pm
One problem I already picked up on is that I've been using the stupid wizard. The tutorial says I should just skip over it, so I'm trying to figure my way around the advanced menus this time. So far that batch of videos has been coming out good, the widescreen stuck this time around. I'm setting up a burn now, hopefully if I do it at 1X with a double pass, it'll stick. I'm sick of making coasters.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead is watching you at Jun 26,2007 9:18pm
Okay, I think everything is finally sorted out, but damn! I managed to fill a 300 gig harddrive in the process.

For the audio sync issues, ripping the audio out as a seperate .wav file with virtualdub seems to do the trick. Then I transcode the .avi file with the seperate audio .wav in TMPGEnc into an mpeg file. From here, there's no audio sync issues at all. As for the aspect ratio, selecting "full screen (keep aspect ratio) from the advanced tab fixed this, but you need to set the right ratio of the original file or it will still skew it.

As for the burning issues with stutters, stops, and bad data, I found that the problems were all happening with Nero, no matter what I did. My final solution was to load the files into Nero, create my menus and such, and then write the whole file to a folder on my hard drive. After that, I open the finished DVD files with DVD shrink and burn from there. So far, out of the 3 discs I've burned I've had no problems with this method.

toggletoggle post by xanonymousx at Jun 26,2007 9:33pm
this reminds me i have to buy some dvds to backup some movies.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead is watching you at Jun 26,2007 9:44pm
xanonymousx said:
this reminds me i have to buy some dvds to backup some movies.

Don't go to staples. I just got back from there, and their selection and prices are retarded.

toggletoggle post by xanonymousx at Jun 26,2007 10:43pm
Alright thanks.
I was thinking about just going to Best Buy or Circuit City and see if my buddy can get me some for cheap.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 26,2007 11:06pm
For the audio sync issues, ripping the audio out as a seperate .wav file with virtualdub seems to do the trick. Then I transcode the .avi file with the seperate audio .wav in TMPGEnc into an mpeg file. From here, there's no audio sync issues at all. As for the aspect ratio, selecting "full screen (keep aspect ratio) from the advanced tab fixed this, but you need to set the right ratio of the original file or it will still skew it.

Glad to hear this worked out; I had a hell of a time getting this right when I started playing with these programs.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Jun 27,2007 8:51am
OK. I didn't read all of this thread. But have you tried Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5? That shit does it all with no fuss. Fuck dealing with TMPGEnc and VirtualDub.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead is watching you at Jun 27,2007 12:10pm
I haven't tried it, but from what I've seen the .avi files with VBR will have audio sync problems in Ulead also. It's the files that have the issues, not nero.

However, I still have all those other issues with Nero, so I am interested in checking out Ulead for burning/making menus so I can eliminate Nero all together.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:you are signing your life away
[default homepage] [print][8:11:52am Mar 29,2024
load time 0.02232 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]