New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Can anyone recommend a camcorder? by menstrual_sweatpants_disco on May 30,2007 5:13pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at May 30,2007 5:13pm
Fuck it. I think I'm just going to go buy a damn camcorder. It will be mostly to film live music. Because of this, sound quality is important (or it should at least have the ability to plug in an extenal mic). hard drive based would be nice. Anybody have any suggestions? My sister has a Sony DCR-SR40 (30GB HDD in it). It seems neato, but I have no idea how it sounds and I'm not sure if you can plug a condenser mic into it.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at May 30,2007 5:20pm
"Live music," sure.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 30,2007 5:29pm
just goto www.myspace.com/baneofexistence or chickie.org if you watch the page, they will probably be selling one at some point.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at May 30,2007 7:03pm
The money I'd pay would just go to some ridiculous cry-baby charity, though. Fuck that.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at May 30,2007 7:04pm
DestroyYouAlot said:
"Live music," sure.

Please make sure that when you make your suggestions that the camera's sound quality would be good for live music sounding similar to children screaming.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 30,2007 7:06pm
why don't you rape your sister for the camera? er.. I mean borrow it.

toggletoggle post by xanonymousx at May 30,2007 9:37pm
menstrual_sweatpants_disco said:
Please make sure that when you make you suggestions that the camera's sound quality would be good for live music sounding similar to children screaming.

good comparison to today's heavy metal music.

toggletoggle post by powerkok   at May 30,2007 10:04pm
Sony with the 5.1 mic is as good as camcorder sound gets.
I have the handycam, and used it to record HCN shows, and they sound better than any other camera Ive heard.

They DO take condensers that plug into the flash pot. Its like 200 bucks.
I also hear good things about the newer Polaroids, but no first hand experience.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at May 31,2007 9:16am
Thanks for the response. I think I saw the sony's you're talking about. They're the ones that boast the 5.1ch Dolby Digital sound right? I'll have to look into those. I didn't realize those condenser mics were that much money. Maybe the extra money the camera with 5.1ch sound costs is worth it then considering I wouldn't have to buy an extra mic.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at May 31,2007 1:04pm
I take it the Kok has the DCR-SR200 or DCR-SR300. I'm looking at these fuggers right now.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Jun 5,2007 8:47pm
OK I got one. I'm still messing around with it. I think I definitely still need a condenser mic though. Can anybody recommend one? I'm guessing no.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Jun 6,2007 10:06am
hill

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jun 6,2007 10:12am
I knew you were going to say that. does the camcorder provide phantom power?

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Jun 6,2007 11:13am
Are you talking about through that Active Interface Shoe crap? If so, yes it does.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Jun 6,2007 11:16am
Another thing I noticed with this thing is that if the music is SUPER loud, it will vibrate the camera enough to trip the drop sensor, which parks the hard drive heads. I guess there's a buffer to keep it recording, but if you "drop" it like 3 times in a row it will just shut the recording off because the buffer gets full. I believe I can disable the drop sensor though.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Jun 20,2007 1:22pm
I disabled the drop sensor. If the music's too loud this piece of shit still has trouble writing to the hard drive properly though. In the middle of a recording it will just say "Data error" and then "Recovering files". Fuck you Sony.

toggletoggle post by nickyhelliot  at Jun 20,2007 4:38pm
Canon xl1s or xl2's are really good. We used them in my voc.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Jun 20,2007 9:22pm
Fuck... now I need recommendations on time machines.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Jun 28,2007 8:13pm
nickyhelliot said:
Canon xl1s or xl2's are really good. We used them in my voc.

I just realized that's a $3200 camera. Pro.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Jun 28,2007 8:20pm edited Jun 28,2007 8:22pm
Alright I just found out that despite circuit city's receipt saying I have 14 days to return shit... I actually have 30 days IF it's defective. That means tomorrow is the last day I can go down there.

If this thing just had a defective hard drive in it then I'd exchange it for the same one. However, I just borrowed my sister's dcr-sr40 camera (similar model) and it appears to be doing the same thing. Sony is just putting piece of shit hard drives in these things I think. If you're in the same room as a guitar amp with one of these things you can forget about recording anything.

I may try to talk circuit city into letting me choose another camera model . Whether this will work or not remains to be seen, but I have to choose an alternate model just in case. But which format shall I go with?

-miniDV is probably useless to me considering I want to get these videos onto a computer.
-I'm afraid to try another HDD camcorder fearing it will do the same shit as this one.
-the mini-DVD camcorders, despite having expensive media, will probably have the same "getting the shit shook out of it" problem when recording to the media.
-Another option is the cameras that record to SD Cards. I think the largest cards you can get though are 4GB and they'll only hold about 40 minutes of mepg2 video.

Fuck... choices choices.

(how to get my money back on this $100 condenser mic that works ONLY with this sony camera is a problem for another day)

toggletoggle post by rhys  at Jun 28,2007 9:29pm

this is the only one i ever use

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Jun 28,2007 9:34pm
I will eat out your grandmother.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Jun 29,2007 9:54am
I'm looking into the camcorders that record to SDHC flash cards. I'm afraid to buy another HDD one.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Jul 2,2007 11:06am
Traded this thing in thursday for a Panasonic HDC-SD1. records at 1080i onto 4gb or 8gb SDHC cards. I haven't opened this thing up yet. I've done a shitload of research so far. Hopefully it was enough. I'll probably crack this motherfucker open today and test it out.

toggletoggle post by woah at Jul 2,2007 11:55am
mini dvd camcorders are horrible.

toggletoggle post by Niccolai   at Jul 2,2007 12:42pm
whatever you get, make sure you get the best and most expensive warranty plan with it.

Video cameras aren't something you skimp out on when it comes to warrantys. They are almost guaranteed to break at some point.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Jul 2,2007 2:11pm
I already told circuit city to screw off when they offered me a 1 year warantee for like $200. This thing has parts covered for 1 year and labor covered for 90 days. Seems to be the standard. I wonder how much it costs to have shit repaired after a year. I guess I'll find out.

Then again, my parents have a panasonic camcorder they bought in 1984 that still works fine haha.

Another thing I wanted to mention is that this new camcorder records shit in mpeg4 H.264. That's the same shit that HDDVD and BluRay encode to. You can't make REGULAR mpeg2 dvds with this thing by default. You'd have to convert the whole file over to mpeg2 with video editing software and then burn it with dvd creating software.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:slacker tracker is watching
[default homepage] [print][3:56:22am Mar 29,2024
load time 0.01361 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]