New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> ATTN: drummers/recording/engineering people RE: natural drum tone by cav on May 8,2007 9:47am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by cav at May 8,2007 9:47am
what do you guys think is a good example of really good NATURAL/NOT TRIGGERED drum sound on a record?? preferably metal / hardcore / rock.

toggletoggle post by LongDeadGod  at May 8,2007 11:37am
enslaveds drum sound on ruun is pretty good, the band mentioned in a few interviews that it wanted live drums for the recorded, not overproduced stuff. same with type o's new record, steele said those were live drums as well.

toggletoggle post by aeser   at May 8,2007 12:15pm
despise you
led zeppelin
dystopia
excruciating terror
discordance axis

toggletoggle post by ZenErik   at May 8,2007 12:29pm
Any metal band can use real drum tracks if they just throw on a ton of compression it'll sound a lot like the triggered sound anyway...

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at May 8,2007 12:56pm
that sort of defeats the purpose. It's not like we don't have access to triggers. We want the drums to sound more natural.

toggletoggle post by ZenErik   at May 8,2007 1:37pm
You'll still get the natural drum tone and ghost notes. Everything will just actually be heard. They won't sound fake like triggers. Just makes the player seem more consistent with each hit.

toggletoggle post by Aegathis  at May 8,2007 3:41pm
Listen to the Diabolic album called Infinity through Purification, they supposedly didn't use and triggers on that cd.

toggletoggle post by handinjury at May 8,2007 4:09pm
The two most important things for getting a "natural" untriggered drum sounds are: A acoustically tuned room and a well tuned drumset.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at May 8,2007 4:51pm
this is all true. Handinjury, I know you're from RI, do you know of anywhere to get drums professionally tuned that is reliable (i.e. not guitar center).

toggletoggle post by mOe  at May 8,2007 5:05pm
Professionally tuned??
eeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww...somebody get dat nigga a clue

toggletoggle post by ZenErik   at May 8,2007 7:40pm
Hahaha. I suppose you could find a drum tech...Or learn to tune. Depending on your playing, you'll probably need to retune the toms every hour or so. I play rimshots on my toms quite a bit so they tend do detune where the sticks hit the rim.

toggletoggle post by blue  at May 8,2007 7:45pm
the new goatwhore is an excellent example of a great natural drum sound, IMO.

toggletoggle post by handinjury at May 8,2007 7:46pm
brian_dc said:
this is all true. Handinjury, I know you're from RI, do you know of anywhere to get drums professionally tuned that is reliable (i.e. not guitar center).

I am not aware of any places offering that service in RI.

toggletoggle post by mOe  at May 8,2007 8:20pm
i'll do it for beer
but honestly when i tune i'm obviously tuning for the best sound I can get, but I also tune for playability. No one drummer has the same playability standards as another. Your boy needs to man up, no offense.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at May 8,2007 9:12pm
ZenErik said:
Hahaha. I suppose you could find a drum tech...Or learn to tune. Depending on your playing, you'll probably need to retune the toms every hour or so. I play rimshots on my toms quite a bit so they tend do detune where the sticks hit the rim.

yeah, our drummer is a gear n00b. Last time we recorded Cav and I (guitarists, mind you) did our best to tune them.

toggletoggle post by cav nli at May 8,2007 11:36pm
moe come down and tune them shits!

toggletoggle post by MadOakDevin  at May 9,2007 12:04am
My favorite natural drum sounds have been recorded by Steve Albini or Billy Anderson.

As for getting your drums tuned correctly. Use your ear.

toggletoggle post by Murph  at May 9,2007 12:25am
The best technique I picked up, since using three toms now, is to tune my high and low toms to whatever the guitars are in, and then tune my mid (and most used tom) to the 4th.

Ask MFR, Nic, or most fo the peeps ive jammed with, shit sounds tight.

And EMAD bass drum heads with a handtowel for dampening is all one needz.

couple things ive picked up.

toggletoggle post by Murph  at May 9,2007 12:27am
When tuning the drums, I alternate in tension between both heads until i have a striking surface im happy with.

I'm more than sure Eric could do this.

toggletoggle post by ZenErik   at May 9,2007 6:18am
I only use 2 toms. I used to tune them in 5ths...I haven't used the tuner recently, but they're at least an octave apart now. I basically tune my 10" tom like a timbale. I also used Coated G1's (10 mil) over Resonant Glass (7 mil). So, resonance and projection is what I've got...

toggletoggle post by cav nli at May 9,2007 10:03am
Murph said:
When tuning the drums, I alternate in tension between both heads until i have a striking surface im happy with.

I'm more than sure Eric could do this.

yea eric tunes them pretty much based on the tension and how hi or lo he wants the tone. last time we went in brian and i went around and made sure all the notes were the same all the way around each drum but for some reason eric thinks bringing them to GC to do it is a good idea. i guess if billy does it i trust him but not the rest of those goons.

toggletoggle post by cav nli at May 9,2007 10:06am
Murph said:
The best technique I picked up, since using three toms now, is to tune my high and low toms to whatever the guitars are in, and then tune my mid (and most used tom) to the 4th.

Ask MFR, Nic, or most fo the peeps ive jammed with, shit sounds tight.

And EMAD bass drum heads with a handtowel for dampening is all one needz.

couple things ive picked up.

that sounds like a pretty good way of doing it. why the 4th rather than the 5th?

toggletoggle post by ZenErik   at May 9,2007 10:59am
Everyone should tune their toms in diminished chords and tritones. dim 5/aug 4 FTW!

toggletoggle post by mOe  at May 9,2007 11:28am
i dont know 4ths of 5ths...i just know rock

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Heralding Carcinogenic Blood
[default homepage] [print][2:02:46am Mar 29,2024
load time 0.01341 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]