New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Friday Guitar Thread - 01-05-07 by DreamingInExile on Jan 5,2007 12:04pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by DreamingInExile   at Jan 5,2007 12:04pm
Preface:
ok, so we all used to like when Tom would do this every friday, and we'd all talk gear, setups, what's hot, what's not, and (in my opinion) it was usually one of the best threads every week. so since Tom's not here anymore (unfortunately) I'm rehashing this in his stead.

Todays Topic: Strings and Tunings.

Discuss!

toggletoggle post by Niccolai   at Jan 5,2007 12:09pm
Strings?

It's got to be elixir.

I used to play blue steels and then GHS, but blue steels sound like dick when they are fresh out of the package.

and GHS die to quickly.

With elixir nano webs I get the perfect amount of brightness and crunch, plus the strings last forEVER and feel silky smooth.

Feels like you're playing butter.

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Jan 5,2007 12:11pm edited Jan 5,2007 12:11pm
Any string that's reasonably priced starting at .012 gauge(ie: not Elixirs)

toggletoggle post by anthony nli at Jan 5,2007 12:17pm
I only play DRs. Usually Hi-beams or Lo-riders.

For Revocation, I tune a half step down.

For Strappado, I tune the whole bass up a half step and play my "B" string as if it were my "E" string.

toggletoggle post by JDDomination   at Jan 5,2007 12:22pm
D'addarios 10's for standard tuning, 13's for baritone tuning

toggletoggle post by Niccolai   at Jan 5,2007 12:24pm edited Jan 5,2007 12:25pm
anthony nli said:
I only play DRs. Usually Hi-beams or Lo-riders.

For Revocation, I tune a half step down.

For Strappado, I tune the whole bass up a half step and play my "B" string as if it were my "E" string.

I've been thinking about doing that for C tuning.

Getting a low guage 6 string pack and tuning to C.

what kindof string tension do you get? is it managable?

also, for bass I only play elixirs.

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Jan 5,2007 12:27pm
I forgot to mention above that I always tune standard as well.

I think I've bought bass strings twice since I've had the thing. It's not my main instrument and the pickups always buzz since it's such an old bass(a semihollow Hofner that looks like an Epiphone Dot in sunburst) and doubt they even make replacements for it anymore. I know the gauge is whatever medium is(starting at .045 I think) but brand...I've bought GHS before...the last ones I bought were DRs maybe?

toggletoggle post by anthony nli at Jan 5,2007 12:28pm
Elixirs are nice but I am addicted to DRs.

The string tension is great. The B string sounds great tuned up to C as well. If I were to tune down my E string to C and then my B string accordingly, the B string would be annoyingly low and muddy. With this tuning it sounds tight.

toggletoggle post by Niccolai   at Jan 5,2007 12:29pm
Lamp said:
I forgot to mention above that I always tune standard as well.

I think I've bought bass strings twice since I've had the thing. It's not my main instrument and the pickups always buzz since it's such an old bass(a semihollow Hofner that looks like an Epiphone Dot in sunburst) and doubt they even make replacements for it anymore. I know the gauge is whatever medium is(starting at .045 I think) but brand...I've bought GHS before...the last ones I bought were DRs maybe?

You tune standard with 12 guage strings?

why?

toggletoggle post by Niccolai   at Jan 5,2007 12:30pm
anthony nli said:

The string tension is great. The B string sounds great tuned up to C as well. If I were to tune down my E string to C and then my B string accordingly, the B string would be annoyingly low and muddy. With this tuning it sounds tight.

I would be doing this on a 6 string and tuning it to the same as a 6 string guitar in C.

Think the bass will yell at me?

toggletoggle post by xanonymousx at Jan 5,2007 12:31pm
i recently got dean markley blue steel strings as a gift they are 13-56's ... i have yet to open them
i usually get boombers or just ernie ball strings

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Jan 5,2007 12:31pm edited Jan 5,2007 12:31pm
Niccolai said:

why?

Because other tunings are lame and I don't like having strings flopping around on me anyway so I go with heavy gauges. Same with picks, I hate bendy picks, I always find heavy ones.

toggletoggle post by anthony nli at Jan 5,2007 12:33pm
Niccolai said:
anthony nli said:

I would be doing this on a 6 string and tuning it to the same as a 6 string guitar in C.

Think the bass will yell at me?

I think it will sound great. Might be able to do some interesting chordal stuff that way too, if you're into that. Coming from a guitar perspective, it'll be easier for you to find arpeggio patterns.

toggletoggle post by xanonymousx at Jan 5,2007 12:34pm
i agree sometimes heavier strings sound better in standard...

toggletoggle post by DreamingInExile   at Jan 5,2007 12:44pm
I just started using the GHS Boomers Zakk Wylde's

the ZWLO (11-70) on my Winter tuned to B (for Shroud)

and the reg ZW's (10-60) on my Ibanez tuned to D or C# (for my other guitar)

I used to play Blue Steels, but I could never find 11's or 12's when I need 'em

toggletoggle post by Niccolai   at Jan 5,2007 12:46pm
Lamp said:
Niccolai said:

why?

Because other tunings are lame and I don't like having strings flopping around on me anyway so I go with heavy gauges. Same with picks, I hate bendy picks, I always find heavy ones.

I'm with you on the picks.

I can only use picks that are very thick and very sharp.

I use jazz IIIs currently.

toggletoggle post by Hoser at Jan 5,2007 12:46pm edited Jan 5,2007 12:47pm
DR Roundwound .11's tuned to Drop C.

Tortex .73 picks.....the yellow ones.

toggletoggle post by DreamingInExile   at Jan 5,2007 12:50pm
my picks vary on what I'm playing, typically I play Dunlop Tortex .88's but the faster I pleay the heavier I need my picks. lighter picks make me feel like a sloppy player.

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Jan 5,2007 12:52pm
I have a 3.0 gauge pick I use when playing bass.

toggletoggle post by diamond_dave  at Jan 5,2007 12:53pm edited Jan 5,2007 12:55pm
Ernie Ball beefy slinky (light top, heavy bottom). I think it goes 11-14-22-34-44-54, but i'm not sure. i replace the 3rd string with a wound, either .18 or .20 gauge, whatever i can find.
we tune B-b.

my other band tunes Eb standard, sometimes dropping the low string to Db. i usually use regular 10-46 or 11-48 for that, i'm not as picky. but still like to have a wound 3rd string, because i play mostly power chords.

picks: Dunlop Nylon, .73 or .88

toggletoggle post by GoatOfCatalyst at Jan 5,2007 1:21pm
I am a DR fan as well. With Catalyst I use my 7string tuned A D A D G B E. For Ipsissimus I tune my 6string UP a half step to F. FUCK YOU, I LIKE IT. For both bands I use the 9-46 gauge DRs and just add any random 58 gauge for the 7string.

toggletoggle post by Kinslayer at Jan 5,2007 1:31pm
Strings: Ernie Ball Hybrids (.9 - .46)

Tuning: down one whole step (DGCFAD)

Picks: Snarling Dogs .53mm

toggletoggle post by Joshtruction   at Jan 5,2007 1:46pm
When I tune to E standard and play classic rock I use 8 gauge strings. Usually slinky's. If I am playing heavier I try to use 10 gauge strings.

Right now my main guitar is tuned CGCFAD with "heavy slinkys" and I dig them. They might be a tiny bit too light for the tuning (even though prefer light strings on guitar) so I might try some "not even slinkys".

On bass for In Dire Need, I have always tuned C standard. B string tuned up to C that is. So yes Niccolai, it will be fine. Tension is managable.

toggletoggle post by largefreakatzero at Jan 5,2007 1:46pm
Strings: D'Addario 11's
Tuning: C#, all standard, not of that drop D shit.
Picks: Dunlop .60 -- the gray ones with the nice grippy surface

toggletoggle post by Sinistas   at Jan 5,2007 1:54pm
Strings: D'Addario .10-.52
Tuning: D
Picks: Dunlop 2.0mm Gators.

toggletoggle post by powerkok   at Jan 5,2007 2:15pm
Strings'addario 11's
Tuning: Drop C
Picks: Dunlop Tortex 73's (the yellow ones)

toggletoggle post by tylerl  at Jan 5,2007 3:38pm
i just tried SIT strings for the first time, i really like them. bright and smooth to play on, now i'll see if they live up to their name, ahyuck!

i use 10-52 in DGCFAD

toggletoggle post by SacreligionNLI at Jan 5,2007 3:42pm
Ernie Ball Skinny Top, Heavy Bottoms

I play in Drop-C and Standard-D(in like two songs) and go apeshit on the lower strings, so the heavier gauges withstand a lot, while the higher, lighter strings have more clarity when i play more melodic stuff and chords.

toggletoggle post by SacreligionNLI at Jan 5,2007 3:43pm
The gauges are 10-52

toggletoggle post by DreamingInExile   at Jan 5,2007 3:53pm
I used to play strings around the 10~52 range, but in shroud, I'm tuned so low, that I had shit for tension on the 52.

so I hunted high and low, and found the ZWLO Boomers, with a DY70 for a Low E (B in my case)

I love a lighter top, but heavy bottom strings are the way to go for me.

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Jan 5,2007 4:18pm
i started out using ernie ball super slinky strings, but after a while i started hating everything about them. after that i got a free pack of elixirs when they first came out and i was fucking amazing. but i was like 15 at the time and didn't have a job or money, so i wasn't able to stick with them. i tried blue steels and fucking hated them. i tried DRs and loved them, but broke them waaaay too easily for some odd reason. then i tried ghs boomers and thought they were the worst strings ever. for about 4 or 5 years straight the only strings i ever used were d'addario xls 10-46 w/ unwound G. there are ghs boomers on the guitar i play now though, and i dig em. although, the elixir nanowebs on niccolai's guitar are probably the greatest things i've ever played, so that's what i'll be using from now on.

toggletoggle post by shamash nli at Jan 5,2007 4:20pm
DR 10's hi-beams - they sound great for a long time (don't get dull quickly), and don't turn to rust on me (i'm a sweaty dude)

I tune to E flat standard on all my guitars (les paul, sg) - I dig C# standard, but only on some shit

I can't play GHS strings (boomers at least), they turn to rust so quick I think I'll need a tetnus shot.

toggletoggle post by DreamingInExile   at Jan 5,2007 4:23pm
shamash nli said:
I can't play GHS strings (boomers at least), they turn to rust so quick I think I'll need a tetnus shot.

I've heard that before, but I don't sweat alot, and I always wipe my guitars down after I play them, and oil my strings on a regular basis.

toggletoggle post by SacreligionNLI at Jan 5,2007 4:27pm
DreamingInExile said:
I've heard that before, but I don't sweat alot, and I always wipe my guitars down after I play them, and oil my strings on a regular basis.

haha i should start doing that...i sweat more than the fat guy in the "gangsta's paradise" video

it's gotten to the point where my pickups are starting to rust

toggletoggle post by yummy at Jan 5,2007 5:49pm
strings: DR hi-beams .12-.56
tuning: B standard
picks: Dunlop 1 mm
Yeah my pickups are def a bit rusty, I don't take care of my shit as well as I should, but it still sounds good.

toggletoggle post by Cecchini   at Jan 5,2007 11:10pm
strings: d'adario or elixer 8 guages
tuning: standard
picks: Pickboy 1mm or Dunlop .98mm(the glossy ones without the coating) and dunlop thumb picks because i rock that country shit.

toggletoggle post by archaeon at Jan 5,2007 11:13pm edited Jan 5,2007 11:14pm
Strings: erine ball 10-52
Tuning: C# standardfor Mortalis and D standard for Archaeon
Picks: i have a billion of those green dunlop ones

toggletoggle post by xanonymousx at Jan 5,2007 11:14pm
this thread is making me want to change my strings right now even though i may be getting pickups or something tomorrow.

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Jan 6,2007 10:04am
MarkFuckingRichards said:
i started out using ernie ball super slinky strings, but after a while i started hating everything about them.

I remember someone telling me he bought a pack of those and broke five strings on the same day, one of them while just strumming a chord lightly. I guess they really do suck.

toggletoggle post by Niccolai   at Jan 6,2007 11:15am
Lamp said:
MarkFuckingRichards said:
i started out using ernie ball super slinky strings, but after a while i started hating everything about them.

I remember someone telling me he bought a pack of those and broke five strings on the same day, one of them while just strumming a chord lightly. I guess they really do suck.

there is NO way that was the strings fault. I hate them as much as the next person, but if that really happened earnie ball would be out of buisiness soooo fast.

Also, I believe earnie ball, D'adario, SIT, and EXR strings are all made by the same company.

Likely the same string too with just tiny differences.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Distorted Lurid Decomposed
[default homepage] [print][10:57:43am Apr 20,2024
load time 0.01981 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]