New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> any graphic designers here? by jim is to lazy to get his password on Dec 19,2006 10:39am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by jim is to lazy to get his password at Dec 19,2006 10:39am
discuss.

toggletoggle post by DreamingInExile   at Dec 19,2006 10:51am
what are we discussing?

I'm more of a Jack of all trades then a flat out designer or an artist

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Dec 19,2006 10:51am
i'm in the process of getting my master's in graphic design.

toggletoggle post by DreamingInExile   at Dec 19,2006 10:54am edited Dec 19,2006 11:00am
so, you're basically in the process of throwing out every shred of creativity that you have in you?

HAHAHA, j/k... Although, everyone I know that got their Bachelors or Masters in Graphic Design dosen't do anything art related anymore

but, don't listen to me, I don't even have my associates yet... LOL

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Dec 19,2006 11:05am
i suck.
example: rttp.

toggletoggle post by Granny_Monster at Dec 19,2006 11:06am
DreamingInExile said:
so, you're basically in the process of throwing out every shred of creativity that you have in you?

HAHAHA, j/k... Although, everyone I know that got their Bachelors or Masters in Graphic Design dosen't do anything art related anymore

Yeah, this is why I didn't stick to majoring in Graphic Design.

toggletoggle post by DreamingInExile   at Dec 19,2006 11:08am
one of the best artists I ever met is now an auto mechanic... go figure...

I'd guess you could call me a 'hobby rocker artist' because I do it mainly for the fun.

HAHAHA

toggletoggle post by jim_is_signed_up_for_an_account at Dec 19,2006 11:09am
dreadkill said:
i'm in the process of getting my master's in graphic design.

Im working on my bachelors at Bridgewater State, and its alright I guess. I havent been taught anything I already dont know.

toggletoggle post by MassOfTwoSlits at Dec 19,2006 12:23pm
I used to be. Now I am just completely useless.

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Dec 19,2006 3:37pm
i feel lucky that i never had a profound interest in the graphic design field. being a graphic designer about 4 or 5 years ago was one of the best professions in the design field, and now it is suffering because way too many people got involved in it, companies prefer to hire graphic designers without a degree (so they don't have to pay them as much), and more markets are leaning towards illustration and fine arts, among others.

i actually have the upperhand, since i just graduated with a bachelor's degree in illustration, entering a market that is rebounding after photography, electronic imaging, and graphic design have lost their monopolies in the art world. even though there are more illustrators now than there have been in years, there are many more job opportunities, and a good illustrator can easily educate him or herself in other fields (painting, photography, web development and graphic design) so he or she will appeal to art directors over anyone else.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Dec 19,2006 3:42pm
I'm getting a tablet PC so I can graphically design stick figures and ovals to trap MFR.

toggletoggle post by DrewBlood@Work at Dec 19,2006 3:53pm
kind of... all i make are artfully done flyers and t-shirt designs. really more of a hobby because i don't get paid for it. although it would be cool if i could get paid for doing something that i love to do.

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Dec 19,2006 4:21pm
the_reverend said:
I'm getting a tablet PC so I can graphically design stick figures and ovals to trap MFR.

bring it!!! you ain't got shit honkey.

toggletoggle post by HOoker nooasijdfaojd at Dec 19,2006 4:21pm
I'm a clownshoes artist trying to make some cash real quick.

I've done a couple freelance jobs that were great pay but it was tough getting the work.

No schooling I think kind of hurts mostly because of the skeletal resume.

http://www.hookermedia.com

toggletoggle post by Niccolai   at Dec 19,2006 5:49pm
I did the artwork on the VHS cover of "jingle all the way".

Great film, by the way.

toggletoggle post by xanonymousx at Dec 19,2006 9:11pm
the_reverend said:
i suck.
example: rttp.

you did that logo?
i thought mark did..
i like it.

toggletoggle post by jim_is_signed_up_for_an_account at Dec 19,2006 9:41pm
MarkFuckingRichards said:
i feel lucky that i never had a profound interest in the graphic design field. being a graphic designer about 4 or 5 years ago was one of the best professions in the design field, and now it is suffering because way too many people got involved in it, companies prefer to hire graphic designers without a degree (so they don't have to pay them as much), and more markets are leaning towards illustration and fine arts, among others.

i actually have the upperhand, since i just graduated with a bachelor's degree in illustration, entering a market that is rebounding after photography, electronic imaging, and graphic design have lost their monopolies in the art world. even though there are more illustrators now than there have been in years, there are many more job opportunities, and a good illustrator can easily educate him or herself in other fields (painting, photography, web development and graphic design) so he or she will appeal to art directors over anyone else.

I need a degree in graphic design to get hired in designing for a news paper.

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Dec 19,2006 9:46pm
jim_is_signed_up_for_an_account said:

I need a degree in graphic design to get hired in designing for a news paper.

is it for a specific newspaper, or are you referring to the entire newspaper industry?
anyone with a degree will succeed over those who don't (assuming you can market yourself better than the competition).

toggletoggle post by jim_is_signed_up_for_an_account at Dec 19,2006 9:49pm
mostly the entire industry, thats what im good at.

i make my own art, but so dont millions of others

i really want to design art for bands, but that would defintally be a side job

www.flickr.com/photos/dissonances

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Dec 19,2006 9:56pm
that's good that you found something you have strengths in while you're still in college. there are so many amazing artists just floating around doing next to nothing because they can't find their market(s) to attack. i am starting to get sick of doing art for bands. there are very few (aside from those that have a label funding them) that can actually afford to pay an artist his or her going rate.

toggletoggle post by HOoker nooasijdfaojd at Dec 19,2006 10:04pm
What's your going rate?

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Dec 19,2006 10:11pm edited Dec 19,2006 10:13pm
$1000 a minute plus 1 handjob per day that a payment is not made on an existing balance.

i mean...

$50-$75 an hour. i've been taught by a great deal of teachers and professional artists that just a STUDENT should charge $50 an hour, plus costs for supplies and institute a "kill-pay" agreement via contract.

if/when (i'm hoping that "if" doesn't apply) i'm able to enter the field of publications (i.e. the new yorker, time, forbes, blah blah blah), i would be paid based on the size of work rather than time. for instance, an illustration that would appear as 3"x 3" in the pages of the new yorker would yield about $600. a cover would yield from $1200-$2400. if you are lucky enough to get to illustrate a cover story, which would be like 6 illustrations, you get big fucking money. my senior professor got $10,000 for 10 illustrations in the new yorker for his first big publication.

toggletoggle post by HOoker nooasijdfaojd at Dec 19,2006 10:18pm
i've started out the same way you are. bands, random people, word of mouth. etc.

i go piece by piece and usually stay within the $80 to $250 range. In the past few months I've done pretty good business. Nothing to live off, but more than expected.

I think you just have to bite the bullet for a while.

I recently got an offer on the vigo painting that I can't believe. Hopefully in the future I'll be able to get more offers like that.

I don't think $50 an hour is really reasonable for small operations like me.

toggletoggle post by jim_is_signed_up_for_an_account at Dec 19,2006 10:22pm
that's good that you found something you have strengths in while you're still in college. there are so many amazing artists just floating around doing next to nothing because they can't find their market(s) to attack. i am starting to get sick of doing art for bands. there are very few (aside from those that have a label funding them) that can actually afford to pay an artist his or her going rate.

I actually want to work on stuff that isnt digital anymore, to try and round myself out as an artist, but i dont expect or have any aspirations to be famous.

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Dec 19,2006 10:28pm
you definitely have to bite the bullet one way or another; you either take as much work as possible and be everyone's bitch so you can pay the bills, and someday your hardwork will pay off...or you refuse all small work and keep fighting the competition to succeed in the bigger markets. i've definitely been "the bitch," haha, but i'm finally starting to pick up more meaningful work. the key is doing work that will look good on a resume and/or in your portfolio. if it is published, you have your foot in the door...you just have to make sure you get the rest of yourself in the door, and never exit the door.

every artist gets to a point where they are just working as usual, and someone comes along and either offers them a shitload of money for their work, or a very important job comes along. it's at that time that you realize how powerful of a talent you have, and you can manipulate things to go your way if you have what it takes.

when you say $50 an hour is not reasonable for someone like you, do you mean you think it's too much?

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Dec 19,2006 10:33pm
jim_is_signed_up_for_an_account said:

I actually want to work on stuff that isnt digital anymore, to try and round myself out as an artist, but i dont expect or have any aspirations to be famous.

nothing wrong with tyring to round yourself out as an artist. if you can offer a client more than some other schmuck can, you have the upperhand. so keep at it.

to me it's not about being famous; most artists are only famous after they die anyway, or if they do something so legendary that no one can ignore it. i didn't work my ass off and go to school for 5 years for nothing, so i have to make sure the time, money and effort i've put into all this actually pay off. it would be awesome to be able to just make a living off of waking up, sitting at my desk and drawing, falling asleep, and repeating.

toggletoggle post by Niccolai   at Dec 19,2006 11:18pm
Design the jingle all the way cover, then come talk to me.

toggletoggle post by Hooker in sweatpants at Dec 20,2006 12:54am
I think from a publication $50 is fine. I wouldn't have a problem asking that.

From the people I do business with at the moment, it's too much realistically. For now I just want people to own my stuff. Of course, I'm still working full time and it sucks ass juggling, but therein lies the bullet.

toggletoggle post by horror_tang  at Dec 20,2006 4:26am

toggletoggle post by Messerschmitt at Dec 20,2006 6:29am

toggletoggle post by MassOfTwoSlits at Dec 20,2006 7:00am
I have worked at many newspapers. One of the best jobs I had I got because I interned there and slid right into an opening as a result. INTERN - work for free and see if you like it, as you can usually score about 3 credits doing so. Stay away from Ad Design, as your talent would be wasted there - that boring shit's for production artists like myself.

toggletoggle post by hungtableed at Dec 20,2006 8:38am
this always cracks me up

nice work hooker.

I made this bmr website, that is the extent of my graphic design abilities
http://home.comcast.net/~burnmyremains
(don't be a pussy, view it in IE7)

toggletoggle post by jim_is_signed_up_for_an_account at Dec 20,2006 8:42am
MassOfTwoSlits said:
I have worked at many newspapers. One of the best jobs I had I got because I interned there and slid right into an opening as a result. INTERN - work for free and see if you like it, as you can usually score about 3 credits doing so. Stay away from Ad Design, as your talent would be wasted there - that boring shit's for production artists like myself.

Yeah I plan on it, Ad Design is really boring. I scored an internship at the Christian Science Montior for this summer and then hopefully at the globe, next fall.

toggletoggle post by MassOfTwoSlits at Dec 20,2006 9:05am
Globe is the way to go, they totally overpay and have the best bennies and cafeteria ever. I worked there and an intern I worked with got hired along side me. You never know. I hope you get it. Most jobs there are part-time, but part time includes benefits there. Once you're in you're in. I don't know why I ever left... oh right, I am an idiot.

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Dec 20,2006 9:47am
Hooker in sweatpants said:
I think from a publication $50 is fine. I wouldn't have a problem asking that.

From the people I do business with at the moment, it's too much realistically. For now I just want people to own my stuff. Of course, I'm still working full time and it sucks ass juggling, but therein lies the bullet.

i hear ya; when it comes to most of the bands i work with, i hardly charge $50-75 an hour. i've been turning away a lot of jobs though because i'm sick of doing a few hours work on something, then getting paid very little, followed by having to give 1/3 to taxes, and to top it off a lot of the bands that can't afford to pay an artist will end up doing next to nothing, or breaking up...so the work never gets seen by anyone. i'd rather do an album cover for free for a band that is very well known and tours. the only people i continue to undercharge are those who have been frequent customers.

$50 an hour for a publication is almost nothing. most illustrators working in publication usually end up making about $100 or more an hour. it's more about the importance of the piece rather than the time it takes.

toggletoggle post by C4R4C4LL4   at Dec 21,2006 11:32am
[IMG=http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1426/feb17thui3.jpg]

toggletoggle post by C4R4C4LL4   at Dec 21,2006 11:33am
that did not work out. here

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1426/feb17thui3.jpg

click it.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:why are you saying that
[default homepage] [print][7:44:14am Mar 29,2024
load time 0.03976 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]