New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Music theory question by eddie on Dec 7,2006 11:08pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by eddie  at Dec 7,2006 11:08pm
I've been pretty much learning music theory off and on since i started playing. My question is where do i go after learning all the diatonic stuff. I'm just kinda playing around with chromatic alterations now, but i'd like to go into something different.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Dec 7,2006 11:16pm
whole tone and diminished/diminished whole tone scales are a lot of fun. in fact, there are all sorts of jazz scales that are great to work with. You might also consider learning all the modes. Playing modally is a real challenge for your ears at times.

toggletoggle post by Beorht-Dana  at Dec 7,2006 11:18pm
Alternate types of scales, composing, arranging, jazz theory...I dunno, I'm just throwing ideas out there.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Dec 7,2006 11:20pm
yeah, that's true. Think outside of the scalar box, I suppose. Learning about composition really helped me in every aspect of my playing and musical maturity in general.

toggletoggle post by eddie  at Dec 7,2006 11:21pm
i have all the modes, i'll check out this whole tone you speak of.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Dec 7,2006 11:25pm
it's really simple, just all whole steps. The trick is finding a way to use it that isn't just goofy.

toggletoggle post by eddie  at Dec 7,2006 11:33pm
brian_dc said:
it's really simple, just all whole steps. The trick is finding a way to use it that isn't just goofy.

oh, so like G,A,B,C#,D#,F,G

i like that, its weird

whats the difference with the dimished/dimished one

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Dec 7,2006 11:49pm
okay. The regular diminished scale can be played two ways from any given tone. It's basically just alternating half step/whole step/half step/...and so on. So you can start with a half step or a whole step.

so for G the two diminished scales are: G G# A# B C# D E F and G A Bb C Db Eb E F# (musically, there's gotta be a better way to write it, but you'll get the scale at least!)

the diminished whole tone scale is a little different. For G: G G# A# B C# D# F G

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Dec 7,2006 11:49pm
and yeah, that's exactly the whole tone scale you got there.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Dec 7,2006 11:54pm
here's an augmented scale: Just a minor 3rd-minor 2nd-minor 3rd etc. pattern.

G A# B C# E F

I like the pattern of playing it like this. G B A# C# E F

It's a good buildup pattern.

toggletoggle post by JDDomination   at Dec 8,2006 12:21am
A good direction to step in would be to work with arpeggios and to try to create melodies using modes of inverted scales such as the harmonic and melodic minors.
The G harmonic minor= G A Bb C D Eb F# G
If you start on the D you would be using what's called the dominant phrygian mode: D Eb F# G A Bb C D
Thats a favorite of mine, I use it a lot in Dominatus on songs like Eulogy and Kidnap. www.myspace.com/dominatus

toggletoggle post by eddie  at Dec 8,2006 12:32am
JDDomination said:
A good direction to step in would be to work with arpeggios and to try to create melodies using modes of inverted scales such as the harmonic and melodic minors.
The G harmonic minor= G A Bb C D Eb F# G
If you start on the D you would be using what's called the dominant phrygian mode: D Eb F# G A Bb C D
Thats a favorite of mine, I use it a lot in Dominatus on songs like Eulogy and Kidnap. www.myspace.com/dominatus

thank you for your input, but i've had that stuff memorized for awhile. i never knew the real name but i always liked the melodic minor in the 5th degree.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:you are so smrt
[default homepage] [print][10:28:09am Apr 20,2024
load time 0.03511 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]