New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Anyone care for Tablet PCs? by the_reverend on Nov 30,2006 10:02am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 30,2006 10:02am
I'm looking at getting a new laptop (as you may have read). now I'm considering getting a laptop that's a tablet PC so I can edit photos on the screen instead of using my wacom pad.

I can get a gatway 14.0" WXVGA+, core 2 duo 2GHz 4mb cache, 2GB 667MHz RAM, and a 100GB SATA 720rpm for $1605

http://www.gateway.com/products/gconfig/pr...details.asp?seg=hm&system_id=cx210x

any thoughts?

toggletoggle post by HostileTakeover   at Nov 30,2006 10:04am
a couple of the sales reps who work for my company have those and they are pretty sick!!! THey are reall easy to work with, and have wicked cool features!

But i noticed they are always getting sent out for repair also!

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Nov 30,2006 10:10am
I'd buy any tablet PC that isn't Gateway.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 30,2006 10:26am
the toshiba one is $2200 for 1GB RAM and 1024x768 resolution
the gateway is $1605 with a 1440x900 display and is only a tiny bit bigger.

I'm thinking the gateway is good, but maybe I should beef up the warrenty? HT, what are they being repaired for?

toggletoggle post by HostileTakeover   at Nov 30,2006 10:30am
usually internal problems... like the operating system...but nothing really major, i just think these sales reps are just idiots and dont know how to use the god dam thing!

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 30,2006 10:37am
that's the sort of speak that makes when want to quote MSD circa "the t-shirt" era.. does this GPU make my internets faster?

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 30,2006 10:38am
granted, for some reason, buying a gateway, I feel like I'm considering buying a packard bell.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Nov 30,2006 11:04am
the_reverend said:
that's the sort of speak that makes when want to quote MSD circa "the t-shirt" era.. does this GPU make my internets faster?

ahahaha <3

the_reverend said:
granted, for some reason, buying a gateway, I feel like I'm considering buying a packard bell.

I just hate gateway because they do extremely shady stuff. They'll lie to you over the phone and try to get you to spend money for nothing. Their tech support / warantee repair is AWFUL. Aside from that I've encountered (from my own experience) and have also heard complete horror stories from friends, coworkers, and former teachers/network consultants regarding their shitty drivers.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Nov 30,2006 11:06am
...plus I've heard that Gateway smooshes babies.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 30,2006 11:07am
yeah, I hear that.. it's just... getting a computer with 2" more screen space for $900 less seems "worth it".. IDK though.

I think carina convinced me to wait until 12/15 to see if dell does a good deal. if dell does a $750 off $1500, I'm going to have to go with dell. it just won't have a touch screen.

toggletoggle post by ValkyrieScreams  at Nov 30,2006 11:30am
I also have been in the market for a laptop / notebook / tablet for the past few months. I'm a terrible procrastinator with an unruly work schedule though so I have been slacking on the research end of this task.
I got the memo on the Gateway, but if anybody could tell me what else would be a lousy purchase, that would be helpful...
Mostly I want a computer that is fast, good for video (DVD capabilities would be nice so I don't have to buy a DVD player as well), digital pictures / editing (my current PC sucks!!!), music, and portability. Also if you know of any that come with any good software bundles that would be sweet. I almost bought one back on the Massachusetts sales tax holiday, but couldn't find the model I decided on in any stores. I'll probably end up ordering online. Oh yeah, and my budget limits me to a max of $2000. Suggestions anybody? Maybe a love it /hate it list?

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 30,2006 11:40am
if you want it to be a faster computer, the gateway is the only one that is sub $2K

toggletoggle post by ValkyrieScreams  at Nov 30,2006 11:44am
I could go over $2k, I was just hoping not to. I'm open to any knowledgable suggestions though.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 30,2006 12:15pm
after looking at the hp, fujitsu, and toshiba.. the gateway is the leader.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 30,2006 12:48pm
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cdetup...02&COMP_Standard+Warranty=WARR-0002

cutomizing a tecra m7 it's $2519 for what the gateway's got.. damn.. that's WAY TOO MUCH!!! now if carina found me a great deal on it, that would be a different story!

toggletoggle post by xanonymousx at Nov 30,2006 2:32pm
they look cool but how many broken pixels would the screen have?

toggletoggle post by anonymous at Nov 30,2006 2:48pm
nah they are a pain in the arse. our company uses them and the tech guys say they are nothing but probs

toggletoggle post by anonymous at Nov 30,2006 2:48pm
i thought Apple Computer was designing one or something, maybe it was just a rumor.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 30,2006 2:54pm
beat up ....

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:typos add character
[default homepage] [print][11:30:24am Apr 25,2024
load time 0.02486 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]