New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Full band Open Mic in Maine (encourages METAL) by Cassidy on Aug 7,2006 5:47pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Cassidy  at Aug 7,2006 5:47pm
Yes indeed... here in Wells, ME (which is 30 minutes south of Portland, 30 minutes north of Portsmouth) is a place where metal acts can come to showcase their music... We encourage all genres of music, but definately have a penchant for the heavier bands. There's always a receptive crowd that enjoys hearing something different... We've been doing this now for over 2 years, and have conditioned the locals to the heavy vibe. *grin*

Myself, and my boyfriend, Leigh, (who are the singer and drummer of Psyren, also a metal band), are the ones that put it all together, complete with a full drumset (with double bass- of CORSE!) and a full PA (all JBL EON G2s, with monitors). You just have to bring your own amps.

Local Maine bands, Death Among Thieves, Hour Past (when they were 'Hypersleep'), 13 Winters, Endicide, Psyren, and up and coming band, Excrecor, have all rocked our Open Mic!

This all goes on at...

-Marcia's Mexican Cantina-
Rt. 1, 1619 Post Rd. Wells, ME 04090
*21 + (but we do alow ONE underage band to go up 1st if they bring a 'guardian', and leave by 9:30)
*no cover charge (EVER!).
*9pm to 12:30am.
*discounted drafts and well drinks
-207-646-7887-

Through the rest of August (with the exception of the 20th) it is on Sunday Nights, then in September, we go back to our usual Thursdays through the Fall and Winter.

We give you 15 minute sets, unless there's alot of sign ups, then we have to cut it to 10 minutes- but give priority to the bands that have to lug in alot of gear, to make it worth their while.

...and keep in mind, this is a Mexican bar, which means lots of tequila! ;)

Hope to see (and hear) you soon!!

toggletoggle post by powerkok   at Aug 7,2006 5:54pm
Cool idea, except for the 10-15 minute sets....

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Aug 7,2006 6:10pm
agreed.

toggletoggle post by Cassidy  at Aug 7,2006 6:15pm
yeah, yeah... i know. :(
we get so many acts though, and i want to make sure that everyone is heard.. on an especially slow night, we do 20 minute sets, but it's rare that we don't have alot of sign ups...

toggletoggle post by dwellingsickness at Aug 7,2006 7:30pm
15 minutes is pretty lame, Unless you are a grind or noise band.But a good Death/Thrash/Black metal band, that is like 2 songs.You won't get bands from MA/NH to come up there for that

toggletoggle post by the_taste_of_cigarettes  at Aug 7,2006 9:53pm
dwellingsickness said:
15 minutes is pretty lame, Unless you are a grind or noise band.But a good Death/Thrash/Black metal band, that is like 2 songs.You won't get bands from MA/NH to come up there for that

really? If you're a new band and just want even a few people to hear you, this is a great idea! 2 Songs is enough to get your point across

toggletoggle post by anonymous at Aug 7,2006 10:54pm
I agree... also, the bands can sell mech at the bar to all the tourist. Afterall, it is vacationland right? Plus, they love to buy when drunk! I've done it.

toggletoggle post by Cassidy  at Aug 7,2006 11:36pm
*shrugs* I don't, by any means, expect bands to drive for over an hour to play here, but you never know who may be around, in the area, itching to play..

I really don't know what to expect, but do know that alot of people around the area, could hear about our night in this forum, and would have fun playing (even if only for 15 minutes), or to stop by to listen. We've been a great outlet to help new performers "get their feet wet" in performing in front of a crowd, and have had a place to bring their friends in to get to hear them play.

I've found that 'ReturnToThePit.com" is a great way to reach people that appreciate heavier music in this area, and figured I'd throw a post into this networking whore. *grin*

We also get alot of people vactioning from MA and other near New England states, that might be bored, and would keep us in mind, while they were here. Like with the random acts we've gotten from http://www.openmike.org , though they were mostly of a more traditonal genre..

Keep in mind, that it isn't strictly a "metal" night. We've had everything from blues, to punk, to folk, to rock, and beyond...(bands and solo acts) show up here to play, which is why alot of our patrons do show up, for the randomness of it all.

Leigh and I would just like to see heavier acts, (& have had quite a few come through already), and I figured that 'returntothepit' would be a good place to get the word out. Tiz all...

toggletoggle post by DeathAmongThieves   at Aug 7,2006 11:40pm edited Aug 7,2006 11:46pm
yeah, our first show with me (AJ) in the band was just to get something under our belts at the Open Mic and it was fucking awesome! seriously, the reaction we got from that drunken mexican bar was better than any other show any of us have played before that. Everyone there loves music and can appreciate a good band. Leigh and Cassidy are the fucking shit as well, wicked cool people. since that first open mic, we've made it a point to play there at least once a month. we can generally fit in 3-5 songs a set depending on the signups, which is really not bad especially since its not like loading up for a real gig or whatever. all you need its your guitar and a little combo amp and youre set! and if youre 21, you can just head to the bar, drink, play some tunes, and drink some more to other musicians going at it. seriously, marcia's open mic is the shit, and we highly encourage all of you to come check it out.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:why are you saying that
[default homepage] [print][5:42:30pm Mar 28,2024
load time 0.01610 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]