New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Bands needed for show in holyoke any bands welcome by Istrawberryshortcaked yoursisterlastnight on Oct 14,2003 11:41pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Istrawberryshortcakedyoursisterlastnight at Oct 14,2003 11:41pm
as soon as i get enough bands im gonna rent out a place in holyoke so any bands that wanna play are welcome,metal hardcore folk country lol ok maybe not the folk and country but come one come all for questions or details email:Nofuture4You@aol.com

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Oct 15,2003 1:14am
r

toggletoggle post by tyagxgrind   at Oct 15,2003 1:02pm edited Oct 15,2003 3:28pm
delete

toggletoggle post by baneofexistence at Oct 15,2003 1:06pm edited Oct 15,2003 8:14pm

toggletoggle post by tyagxgrind   at Oct 15,2003 1:08pm edited Oct 15,2003 3:28pm
delete

toggletoggle post by baneofexistence at Oct 15,2003 1:12pm
egads!!!!! how far is it away from the south shore?
do you always get that much for distance shows?

in the last 3 to 4 years we have been paid for probly under 10 shows
HUH

toggletoggle post by tyagxgrind   at Oct 15,2003 1:17pm edited Oct 15,2003 3:29pm
delete

toggletoggle post by baneofexistence at Oct 15,2003 1:29pm edited Oct 15,2003 8:15pm

toggletoggle post by tyagxgrind   at Oct 15,2003 2:28pm edited Oct 15,2003 3:29pm
delete

toggletoggle post by baneofexistence at Oct 15,2003 2:57pm
to each their own i suppose like i said i'm not busting you balls.

i saw where hoyoke is on a map and it is a hike and a half

honestly i would never put a price tag on my band as a requirement to play (altho gas $ never hurts) but maybe ask a % of the door insted i know bills and the middle east give 15% of the door to the bands and obriens counts who came in for whom and you get 100% of every one you draw and if people say they are there to see the show it's split between all the bands

tyagxgrind said:
we dont really sell merchandise yet at shows. i mean we havent even had our demos available since last December. i dont mind saying we need $50 because so many bands charge way more and still sell merchandise at thats at local shows. its something that we've just started recently we haev played i think maybe about 15 shows total and never charged anything but were paid for playing at bills bar and the middle east.

toggletoggle post by ratt_mowe at Oct 15,2003 4:14pm
hey this is the guitarist from tyag, and i mean i love playing shows and i dont really care about getting paid, but i dont think its that unreasonable to ask for 50 dollars. even asking for it you usually dont get it. and we dont have any merch or cds to sell to make the money. its our only source of income. i will definately play a show for free, but getting something in return, even if it is like 10 or 20 bucks for gas is excellent. if we did have stuff to sell, then it really wouldnt matter, but after all of the money i have put into this band, it would be nice to see some back every once in a while. but hey, whatever floats your boat.

toggletoggle post by jesus  at Oct 15,2003 4:50pm
i demand free donuts.
not the shitty trendy krispy kreme bullshit. DD for life.

toggletoggle post by succubus  at Oct 15,2003 4:55pm
i was always under the impression bands got paid...

it sucks that you don't for the most part...who makes the money at the door then? or is it because all the money goes to the venue?

i mean...the promoter should give something..even if they lose money...i dunno...but at least gas like someone said above

toggletoggle post by University of Joe McNamara at Oct 15,2003 6:54pm
succubus said:

it sucks that you don't for the most part...who makes the money at the door then? or is it because all the money goes to the venue?

i mean...the promoter should give something..even if they lose money...i dunno...but at least gas like someone said above

i would never pay a band if a show i book loses me money.
but i rarely take a cut of shows I book, unless it does very well.
And not to offend any bands, I wouldn't book a small time band who demands 50 bucks or any money actually.

I thought about creating a 50 dollar guarantee for Disengaged in Boston though, to make sure they dont get screwed over because they definately draw enough to make atleast that at any club in the city.

toggletoggle post by tyagxgrind   at Oct 15,2003 7:56pm
University of Joe McNamara said:
succubus said:

i would never pay a band if a show i book loses me money.
but i rarely take a cut of shows I book, unless it does very well.
And not to offend any bands, I wouldn't book a small time band who demands 50 bucks or any money actually.

I thought about creating a 50 dollar guarantee for Disengaged in Boston though, to make sure they dont get screwed over because they definately draw enough to make atleast that at any club in the city.

If you cant guarantee a band at least some money before playing thats just inconciderate and can get you on bad terms with lots of hardworking bands. $50 is not a lot of money at all. we usually travel with 3 cars to get us to shows. it prob costs us on average of $30 of gas to get there and maybe the same amount to get back. Not to mention taking work off. I saw that in an average 6 hour day after taxes I make about $50 so if I spend the same amount of time to prep and play a show I think thats worthwild. I'm not going to get in a debate about this anymore. If you dont like the policy then thats fine.

Devon

toggletoggle post by baneofexistence at Oct 15,2003 7:57pm
we hardly ever see a dime for shows except at the clubs i mentioned above

jarrods won't pay unless you sell at least 25 tix and depending on which ticket price you were selling you get part of that i forget the ratio

succubus said:

toggletoggle post by baneofexistence at Oct 15,2003 8:14pm
dev i wasn't trying to start a problem with my reply i was just shocked at the amount thats all sorry for causeing the b.s. man i have deleted my previous posts

toggletoggle post by DeOdiumMortis  at Oct 15,2003 8:39pm
I look at it this way: the more you draw the more you should get. Or course there are technicalities that don't coincide with this like playing in a new area or being a last minute addition to a line up.

That's one of the best things about O'Brien's. Not only do they track of who people came to see and divvy up the door money accordingly, they mark it right on the front door so you can see that some people actually came to see you more than the other bands.
That was one of the first times we knew that some people actually came to see us. I'm pretty sure the Bomb Shelter does the same thing or something similar.

toggletoggle post by Terence   at Oct 15,2003 10:51pm
a show is a show I wouldnt ask for shit. thats me though. Its all about doing what I love.

toggletoggle post by Terence   at Oct 15,2003 10:51pm
PS why does every entry say delete, I missed a huge chunk of something.

toggletoggle post by jesus  at Oct 15,2003 11:41pm
more like a huge chunk of

toggletoggle post by xPaulBLAHBLAHx   at Oct 16,2003 12:21am
I understand what devon is saying and I understand where joe is comming from. Being a band and not making cash definatly sucks, but booking a club and not making your money back sucks even worse. I never really believed in guarantees. However , devon is definatly right they dont have merch to sell there for they may be gaining fans but they are definatly losing cash. STE basically made all of our money off of t shirts , cds etc. however our problem with that was we never printed enough of them up haha. I think metal bands who charge prices like 2000 dollars to play a show is way too extreme of a cost and it definatly kills the local scenes. I think everyone has valid points in this conversation.

toggletoggle post by WhyamIandasshole   at Oct 16,2003 10:52am

If you cant guarantee a band at least some money before playing thats just inconciderate and can get you on bad terms with lots of hardworking bands.

No. Thats just how it is. And if the hardworking bands don't like it they don't have to play.

$50 is not a lot of money at all. we usually travel with 3 cars to get us to shows. it prob costs us on average of $30 of gas to get there and maybe the same amount to get back. Not to mention taking work off. I saw that in an average 6 hour day after taxes I make about $50 so if I spend the same amount of time to prep and play a show I think thats worthwild. I'm not going to get in a debate about this anymore. If you dont like the policy then thats fine.

Devon>>

Look I'm not trying to bust your balls here but every band that goes out and play's shows is hardworking. And they all get screwed over. And until your band is selling CD's and Merch and drawing 100-200 people everytime you play your band isn't worth $50.
Now someone like Joe who probably loses money half the time he has to put money up can't afford to pay every band. And he doens't have to. He's doing more work contacting bands getting the venue promoting the show than the bands who just have to show up.
The show I booked at the elks lodge I lost money on. And truth be known I felt bad I couldn't pay you guys because you brought in the most people. But thats just how it is.
Playing shows is a privilage and an oppertunity. The money is secondary until it become enough of an amount that it maters.
Asking for some money at the end of the night isn't a bad thing but expecting it is a little unrealistic.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Oct 16,2003 11:19am
I think it's a show-by-show thing...
I mean, I pay for some shows and others I dont.
it all depends, granted with all the shows I go to, I like not-paying for shows cause if I paid for all the shows I go to, plus pay for this server, plus pay for gas to get to all these shows.. I probably couldn't go to and cover all the shows that I go to.

anyhow, I like pauls thoughts.. I mean.. all the sides have good points. devon had good points in his posts that he deleted too. It's one of those situations that you hate to be in.. case
1) bands should get money for what they do
2) people should loose money

toggletoggle post by succubus  at Oct 16,2003 11:38am
well once again...i always thought bands made money..it sucks that they don't.

i can see every one's point here.

As a promoter...i think it's a chance they take booking shows...even if the show loses...at least pay the bands for gas...i dunno...my 2 cents...

sidenote:
One thing that bothers me is when i see bands use the Rev's pics and not only do they not pay him...but they don't ask his permission and they don't credit him. He goes to a lot of shows and i don't think he should have to pay for shows period. He does a lot for the scene and people need to realize this and help him out.

I can understand local/unsigned bands not being able to afford to pay him...but when i see this with a signed band..pisses me off...

If you ask him to go to a show..then at least put him on a guest list...esp if you have spaces on your list, prioritize him before others.

I'm used to going to bigger shows and i'm always on guest lists...i work on my site and add show pics and reviews etc. ...my reward in turn..is free shows, meeting bands, etc.

Having said all that...i'm probably a hypocrite because when i go to shows with my bf..he usually pays for my ticket...and I run my site on his server...

but whatever...he does so much for everyone.

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Oct 16,2003 11:40am edited Oct 16,2003 11:43am
WhyamIandasshole is pretty much correct in all aspects.

A small time band shouldn't EXPECT money at all (unless it is a great distance, more than 2 hours away)... Around here you should be grateful to be added to any shows, I know I would. If the show makes enough meaning you help promote it enough to draw a crowd and the venue makes enough money to give the bands a cut, then sure, thats definetly cool and makes bands happy.

More people need to attend shows, thats really the bottom line. It seems harder these days to go to distant shows because they are usually during the week. Like going to providence from here takes 2 hours, and Rev is a trooper and he can do it. I seriously would probably crash on the way home though.

Life > Show

toggletoggle post by tyagxgrind   at Oct 16,2003 11:59am
I'm all about making money. HA Because you can SO do that off a band. fo'real jigga.

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Oct 16,2003 12:04pm edited Oct 16,2003 12:05pm
tyagxgrind said:
I'm all about making money. HA Because you can SO do that off a band. fo'real jigga.

yeah, if THAT band is good enough to draw enough people. fo' sure nigga.

come on devon give people a break, you're not signed to Unique Leader yet

toggletoggle post by tyagxgrind   at Oct 16,2003 12:15pm
RustedAngel said:
tyagxgrind said:

yeah, if THAT band is good enough to draw enough people. fo' sure nigga.

come on devon give people a break, you're not signed to Unique Leader yet

We might be "signed" to a label but all we've gotten is money to record with and a few "guarantees", no real promotion esp. not in the US seeing its a Japanese record label. We pretty much have to do all the promotion for our band, be that shows, merchandise, new music, blah blah blah.

Shit sucka' I was hopin' to rollz'up in my new beema' yo.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Oct 16,2003 12:15pm
that's for the props

I don't mind paying for some of the shows, must support the scene
and I don't mind when people use my pictures if they ask me and get me copies.
and I ESPECIALLY don't mind when I get paid for pictures too.
that rocks.

I think the issue with shows is that METAL FUCKING KIDS ARE LAZY AS FUCKING FUCK AND ARE TOO FUCKING BUSY SITTING ON THEIR ASSES, GETTING ZITS AND PLAYING SILENT HILL 3 TO GET OUT TO A FUCKING SHOW
"awe dude.. I missed that show.. I meant to go"
yeah, you and everyone else you fucking fuck so get off your lazy fucking asses and go to shows.

granted, I'm preaching to the choir cause everyone on this board basicaly goes to tons of shows.

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Oct 16,2003 12:37pm
damn, asian people have too much time on their hands. something makes me think they'll sign anyone. i wouldn't bother with one of those labels, they're probably making money off your name accross the world and your not seeing a dime.

toggletoggle post by tyagxgrind   at Oct 16,2003 1:20pm
RustedAngel said:
damn, asian people have too much time on their hands. something makes me think they'll sign anyone. i wouldn't bother with one of those labels, they're probably making money off your name accross the world and your not seeing a dime.

hopefully.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Oct 16,2003 1:21pm
I'm almost certain, living in maine, tom's probably only seen one asian person.

toggletoggle post by DeOdiumMortis  at Oct 16,2003 2:03pm
the_reverend said:
I'm almost certain, living in maine, tom's probably only seen one asian person.

Probably half-Korean half-Irish half-Italian.

toggletoggle post by DeOdiumMortis  at Oct 16,2003 2:05pm
the_reverend said:
METAL FUCKING KIDS ARE LAZY AS FUCKING FUCK AND ARE TOO FUCKING BUSY SITTING ON THEIR ASSES, GETTING ZITS AND PLAYING SILENT HILL 3 TO GET OUT TO A FUCKING SHOW
"awe dude.. I missed that show.. I meant to go"

That's a new RttP t-shirt right there.

"Awe dude.. I missed that show.. I meant to go" would be on the back.

toggletoggle post by succubus  at Oct 16,2003 2:14pm
this should be the front:

toggletoggle post by DeOdiumMortis  at Oct 16,2003 2:28pm
Ew. It was worse when Dark Tranqulity's singer had that going on. Gross.

Which brings up this point: why are most of the asscracks I accidently see hanging out well, to be blunt, on fat people? Especially at my school. They lean forward in their chair and it's gross hairy asscrack all over the place. One would think that with the extra surface area they have back there they'd be more likely to feel the lack of covering down there. But noooooo.

In conclusion: FAT PEOPLE PULL UP YOUR PANTS.
That's all I ask of you.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Oct 16,2003 2:34pm
I've seen you ask for a lot more from that 400lb girl who can't get out of her trailer.
good thing maury got in there and cut the side of her home off.

toggletoggle post by DeOdiumMortis  at Oct 16,2003 3:04pm
Shhhhhhh. That was different. I wanted to cut her head off and live inside her skin to stay warm.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Oct 16,2003 3:11pm

toggletoggle post by DeOdiumMortis  at Oct 16,2003 3:15pm
They need a toy of the ostrich-horse thing with an openable chest cavity so they can stay true to the movie. Fucking cunts.

toggletoggle post by blahq434315 at Oct 16,2003 10:18pm
The show is definently on,it starts at 6,American Legion Post 351 170 people max,lol yeah i know it sucks,any bands that have responded,please keep in touch to CONFIRM ill be making flyers Saturday so EVERY band that has responded please do so again,oh yeah i have 100 security deposit on my ass so if anyone breaks anything you will be taken captive and deserted in downtown holyoke,sounds like fun eh?take it easy people i hope to meet you all there,Later

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:why are you saying that
[default homepage] [print][9:36:41am Apr 20,2024
load time 0.03558 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]