New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Blind Guardian - A Twist in the Myth. Anyone? by DrinkHardThrashHard on Jul 2,2006 8:25pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jul 2,2006 8:25pm
Just listened to this promo a few times. Very loyal to the style on Night at the Opera, but perhaps a bit more bland overall.

Still, a solid record.

Let me know if you've heard it and what you think.

toggletoggle post by Jugulator at Jul 2,2006 11:35pm
Havnt heard it.And besides old school Maiden,I dont like any other power metal bands

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jul 3,2006 12:13am
Then this thread is not for you. Why post in it?

toggletoggle post by Kinslayer at Jul 3,2006 1:46am
I need to check it out.

toggletoggle post by paganmegan   at Jul 3,2006 9:36am
I picked up the DVD the other day, and it is flawless in terms of sound quality, and as far as Blind Guardian's performance goes. In the interview portion they say they no longer feel the need to have a "rock n roll party" (no more drugging/heavy drinking) , I guess sobriety really does lend itself to sounding amazing as a band

toggletoggle post by Cecchini   at Jul 3,2006 11:21am
i would certainly like to check this out... cough cough wink wink nudge nudge.

the dvd is mint. they play all the nastiest songs haha. the best is how the crowd goes off into the chorus of valhalla like 10 times on their own.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead nli at Jul 3,2006 11:39am
I thought the new Blind Guardian record was called Savage Circus - dreamland manor?

pretty sure Twist in the Myth is that crappy Hansi solo project.

toggletoggle post by paganmegan   at Jul 3,2006 11:40am
So what is this solo project of Hansi's, and why does it suck?

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead nli at Jul 3,2006 11:47am
Hansi's solo project is called Blind Guardian.

if you're not getting my point, go to www.myspace.com/savagecircus . It's pretty obvious now, Thomen Stauch IS blind guardian. Hansi and CO were just his backup band.

toggletoggle post by Cecchini   at Jul 3,2006 11:49am
i have the Savage Circus CD and I thought it was good, but it def lacks the appeal of even later BG Cds like Nightfall in Middle Earth and Imaginations From The Other Side.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead nli at Jul 3,2006 11:51am
Are you kidding? Savage Circus sounds like it was written and recorded during or right after Imaginations, stylewise.

Following the progression of BG albums, I think that Thomen's new project picks right up where imaginations left off. Night at the Opera is a great album, but it doesn't sound like BG, and the new album keeps on in that direction. Savage Circus definately picked up the trail right where BG left it to wander.

toggletoggle post by Cecchini   at Jul 3,2006 11:56am
Don't get me wrong, I think the album is good but there are no songs on that album except for maybe Evil Eyes that compare to songs like Nightfall, When Sorrow Sang, Time Stands Still etc. etc. SC sounds more like Tales From The Twilight World Part II... which is a good thing, i think it just lacks a little spark to make it a great thing.

I think for fans of BG who are strictly into their more thrash albums, they will love the SC disc, for those who prefer the more epic discs BG has put out... they'll probably enjoy SC but stick with BG.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead nli at Jul 3,2006 12:00pm
As for more "epic" material, I think the only album would be Opera, which was a huge contrast to earlier albums. I loved it, but then, Thomen was still in the band writing then.

If you listen to songs like "I'm alive", "Holy War", etc... the new SC fits right into that groove. Thrashy, melodic, progressive metal. New BG sounds more like Queen (a great band, I don't deny) than they sound like their old material.

Granted, SC lacks some of the GENIUS vocal arrangements of BG. Not really anything like the LA LA LA's of "the story ends", or the epic chorus of "holy war", but musically the band is right there in the pocket. I mean really, a 20 something kid is not going to REPLACE hansi, but he sure does one hell of a job filling in for him.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jul 3,2006 12:11pm edited Jul 3,2006 12:17pm
The Savage Circus album is indeed a little better than the new Blind Guardian.

But not better than the last four BG records.

The promo I have for 'A Twist in the Myth' does have voiceovers, but I can still get the gist of the music. There are a few great songs, like 'Another Stranger Me', 'This Will Never End' and 'Lionheart', but there are also some very blah tracks. I think if you are a diehard for 'A Night at the Opera' you'll find that this record follows suit.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead nli at Jul 3,2006 12:29pm
DrinkHardThrashHard said:
The Savage Circus album is indeed a little better than the new Blind Guardian.

But not better than the last four BG records.

Again: SC + last 4 BG records = Thomen Stauch = AWESOME

Twist in the Tail = no Thomen Stauch = inferior hansi solo record.

Think of Bg like a good sports team that just lost a great coach. Theres a lot of talent there, but SC show how huge of a contributor Thomen has been to the BG songwriting over the years.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead nli at Jul 3,2006 12:30pm
Don't get we wrong: if theres anything similar to "precious jerusalem" on the new album I'll buy it and love it, but much like when roth and van halen split, I know where my allegiance will lie.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jul 3,2006 12:30pm
Thomen Stauch is great.

Not only for BG and SC, but he also did that first Iron Savior record.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jul 3,2006 12:31pm
I think if you like 'A Night At the Opera' the new one will be right up your alley.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead nli at Jul 3,2006 12:50pm
I'm not a big Iron Savior fan. Pete plays well on the SC stuff, but I can't get into Iron Savior at all.

The new BG will be good, I doubt they'd pull an Edguy and start releasing crap that sounds nothing like themselves. However, I think the loss of Thomen will begin a noticeable dip in the quality of their songwriting.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead nli at Jul 3,2006 12:53pm
Weird thing about Thomen playing on Iron Savior:

My coworker went to see BG last time they came through with Thomen. He met the band, where he proceeded to tell Thomen how much he liked his album with Iron Savior, and asked if they were going to do more. Thomen told him it wouldn't happen, that he and pete didn't get along musically and had difficulty working together.

Now they're in a band together.

?

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jul 3,2006 12:57pm
Heheh.

toggletoggle post by Anthony nli at Jul 3,2006 12:59pm
i'm really psyched for this record. i loved Night at the Opera, although not as much as Nightfall. I just hope they don't do too many random gay intros with weird instruments. That stuff bores me.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jul 3,2006 1:01pm
Nightfall is their best overall album, easily. There are a few songs on the older records that are still my favorite ("Journey Through the Dark", "Bright Eyes", etc) though.

toggletoggle post by Kinslayer at Jul 3,2006 2:13pm
Aye, Nighfall in Middle Earth is litterally a masterpiece. It flows so fucking well from start to finish, even the short little intros and outros and whatnot...epic to say the least.

Night at the Opera is a great album, for sure but not quite up to par with Nightfall...
I don't think there's any BG I dislike but Nightfall is an obvious standout and a sure favorite of mine.

I rocked out to Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys pt 1 and Savatage - Sirens yesterday...
Two great, cheese albums...

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead nli at Jul 3,2006 2:29pm
Kinslayer said:

I rocked out to Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys pt 1 and Savatage - Sirens yesterday...

No, all the cheese was on Keeper pt II. Future World, Halloween, etc... are freaking AWESOME

toggletoggle post by Kinslayer at Jul 3,2006 2:50pm
Future World is totally cheesy! but kick ass nonetheless...

I agree though, Keeper Pt. 2 is pretty fucking weak.

toggletoggle post by Kinslayer at Jul 3,2006 2:56pm
You BG and Maiden fans need to listen to this album and worship it ON YOUR KNEES.
Catchy as fuck, kick ass traditional/power metal with fantastic riffs and leads, great lyrics and top notch vocal performance.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead nli at Jul 3,2006 2:59pm
Kinslayer said:
Future World is totally cheesy! but kick ass nonetheless...

I agree though, Keeper Pt. 2 is pretty fucking weak.

It wouldn't be so weak, if the entire album was just "eagle fly free"

Unfortunately, I will never be able to accept or even comprehend "rise and fall" or "Dr. Stein". How the hell did "Savage" not end up on the album, but these did?

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead nli at Jul 3,2006 3:00pm
Kinslayer said:
You BG and Maiden fans need to listen to this album and worship it ON YOUR KNEES.
Catchy as fuck, kick ass traditional/power metal with fantastic riffs and leads, great lyrics and top notch vocal performance.

I would, but I can't even read what the hell the band name is.

toggletoggle post by paganmegan   at Jul 3,2006 3:07pm
Twisted Tower Dire

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jul 3,2006 3:22pm
Kinslayer said:

Both amazing.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jul 3,2006 3:23pm
Kinslayer said:

I've gotten to see them live, pretty good.

toggletoggle post by Kinslayer at Jul 3,2006 3:29pm
I'm fucking itching to see them live. I've emailed them multiple times whenever they play even remotely close to the NE area but they cant ever do it. Plus I dont know who the fuck I'd book them with...

Hammers of Misfortune and the Lord Weird Slough Feg need to play here too.
My jew-freind, Roman almost had Hammers booked here last summer but it fell through at the last mintue.

toggletoggle post by paganmegan   at Jul 3,2006 3:41pm
What the fuck is a jew-freind?

toggletoggle post by VoidExpression  at Jul 3,2006 3:48pm
Twisted Tower Dire definitely needs to play up here! That would be a hell of fun show. Slough Feg played O'brien's last summer.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead nli at Jul 3,2006 4:41pm
paganmegan said:
What the fuck is a jew-freind?

It's like a friend, but they're a Jew.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jul 3,2006 5:42pm edited Jul 3,2006 5:43pm
Kinslayer said:

Hammers of Misfortune and the Lord Weird Slough Feg need to play here too.
My jew-freind, Roman almost had Hammers booked here last summer but it fell through at the last mintue.

Both awesome bands. Didn't Slough Feg (they shortened their name) just play here at O'Brien's last year? Oops, Drew just mentioned that.

I actually just got the new Hammers of Misfortune promo too, the music is still great but they fairied up the vocals a little bit, so overall I wouldn't say it was as good as the last two.

toggletoggle post by Kinslayer at Jul 3,2006 6:27pm
Yeah, Slough Feg was at Obriens last summer and that show was supposed to be Hammers of Misfortune...I can't remember what happened that resulted in Slough Feg playing instead of HoM but it was a killer show regardless...

My jew friend was at that Demilich show. Jewish by blood but a good guy nonetheless. Certainly doesn't practice the religion nor does he live up the stereotype (for the most part hahah) if he read this he'd want to kill me...

toggletoggle post by VoidExpression  at Jul 25,2006 9:56am
I just finally got around to listening to the new BG and I think it's a fucking fantastic pop record! The "Na Na-Na-Na"'s in Turn the Page gets me every time (that's also my favorite song). The whole record is more suited to dancing than anything else, but there's nothing at all wrong with that.

On the Hammers of Misfortune front, the unofficial word is that they will be here this spring.

toggletoggle post by Dar at Jul 25,2006 10:04am
Kinslayer said:

My jew friend was at that Demilich show. Jewish by blood but a good guy nonetheless. Certainly doesn't practice the religion nor does he live up the stereotype (for the most part hahah) if he read this he'd want to kill me...

Which stereotype would that be, that jews have small dicks?

toggletoggle post by Anthony nli at Jul 25,2006 10:55am
after listening some more to this, I have to say it is a bit of a decrease in quality from A Night at the Opera. Still enjoyable though.

toggletoggle post by retzam at Jul 25,2006 12:39pm
Anthony nli said:
after listening some more to this, I have to say it is a bit of a decrease in quality from A Night at the Opera. Still enjoyable though.

Based on what I've listened to I'd agree with this. I'm definitely gonna get out to the Palladium in December to see them though. Wait, it's at the Palladium right?

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jul 25,2006 12:40pm
It's no Night at the Opera or Nightfall.

toggletoggle post by anonymous at Aug 11,2006 9:54pm
great album enjoy

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:click here to get internet 5.0
[default homepage] [print][8:55:49am Mar 28,2024
load time 0.01739 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]