New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> What bands do you want to see on a metalfest? by A Metalfest Promoter on Jun 21,2006 4:58pm
Add To All Your Pages!
What bands do you want to see on a metalfest? - usless poll
1Necrotic Disgorgment
2Lust of Decay
3Decrepit Birth
4Devourment
5Cannibal Corpse
6Cryptopsy
7Arsis
8Morbid Angel
9Nile
10Nevermore
11Dimmu Borgir
12Cradle Of Filth
13Emperor
14In Flames
15The Black Dahlia Murder
16GWAR
17Iced Earth
18Slayer
19Megadeth
20Behemoth
21Morbid Angel
22Deicide
23Amon Amarth
24Old Mans Child
25Vital Remains
26Novemebr's Doom
27Immolation
28My Dying Bride
29Hypocracy
30Suffocation
31Eyehategod
32Crowbar
33Dying Fetus
34Goatwhore
no vote

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 4:58pm
Location: Portland Maine. - The Station, The State Theater or The Civic Center if need be (So I fibbed about the location.)

Maine has a huge metal scene that no one knows exist. I want to put it on the map. Problem is, there's a local promoter who, if given this idea, will take it and book bands like Disturbed and Godsmack to headline.

I estimate I will need to charge $40 a ticket for both days. All the local bands will be from here in Maine. Budget for national acts will be $10K - $20K (Depending on what the cost to play for the locals will be). All ticket money will go towards the venue, security, and the nesessary advertisement.

I want to advertise not only in the local rags and radio, but on local cable tv too.

I DO NOT WANT SPONSORS. I am anot in this for the money, I am in this to give the metal here some unity and affirmation.

Another tennent of this show. All bands including the smaller national act, will be put into a hat. The names will be drawn to select who plays when. The time slots WILL NOT be advertised nor known among the bands. I am sick of people showing up late because they just want to see the nationals. It will be announce that "One national wil headline, the other may open so get your ass there first thing!"

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 5:02pm
P.S. I will advertise random local acts on an equal level with the nationals y use of rotating commercial.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 5:05pm edited Jun 21,2006 5:11pm
This poll is a much better thread idea.

But the 'hat drawing' is an extremely bad idea, having any headliners open the gig is foolish, there is a reason why headliners are called 'headliners'. If they play first, noone is going to stay to watch the other bands! Not to mention, a lot of them might take it as an insult (even if you pay them).

I know I wouldn't pay $40 to watch Goatwhore open for some mallcore band. You should think this through some more, bro.

If you book GOOD opening bands, people will be there for the duration, and you'll have nothing to worry about.

toggletoggle post by usernamehere at Jun 21,2006 5:08pm
slayer!
megadeth!
crowbar!?
book those bands and it will be crazy.
are you sure you can get them all on the same date?

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 5:11pm
"reason why headliners are called 'headliners'"

One of the nationals will not be a headliner, lats it.

Also, another thing about the hat is. Little bands get shitty slots just because they aren't well known, only perpetuation their Unknown status. This way it's completely fair to all the bands.

If you're paying $40 just to watch Goatwhore then what do you care who plays after them?

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 5:14pm
usernamehere said:
slayer!
megadeth!
crowbar!?
book those bands and it will be crazy.
are you sure you can get them all on the same date?

If I can get a $20K budget, I think I could do that.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 5:16pm
I was under the impression little bands get shitty slots because they don't have the experience or the success of the bigger bands.

For example, how the hell would some local bands follow up an act like Morbid Angel or Megadeth?

Maybe a small national band, sure, and if that is what you mean, all the power to you. But a lot of those bands you listed are pretty big.

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 5:18pm
DrinkHardThrashHard said:
If you book GOOD opening bands, people will be there for the duration, and you'll have nothing to worry about.

What If I booked local bands who were like Dragonforce but who have never left their garage to open the show. Why would you show up early? You never heard of them and probably wouldn't care. Totally missing out on something killer.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 5:20pm
There is not one band around here who is going to match Dragonforce from a musical standpoint. You are deluded if you think so.

Haven't you been to fests? I have been to many of them, and trust me, people like to have a schedule of when the bands are all playing, especially the bands themselves.

I appreciate anyone who tries to do something different, man, don't get me wrong. But I don't see how this could possibly work.

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 5:21pm
I was under the impression little bands get shitty slots because they don't have the experience or the success of the bigger bands.

For example, how the hell would some local bands follow up an act like Morbid Angel or Megadeth?

EXACLY!!!! I say Fuck those rules. Anyone who's ever been in a band, big or small, had to deal with that and I think It's Bullshit! Woudln't it make a band's mellenium to have Morbid Angel open for you and then have Megadeth after?

Hey, the nationals are getting their money so what do they care when they play.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 5:22pm
btw, I voted for Old Man's Child.

toggletoggle post by My_Dying_Bride at Jun 21,2006 5:22pm
GAMMA RAY

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 5:22pm
A Metalfest Promoter said:

EXACLY!!!! I say Fuck those rules. Anyone who's ever been in a band, big or small, had to deal with that and I think It's Bullshit! Woudln't it make a band's mellenium to have Morbid Angel open for you and then have Megadeth after?

Hey, the nationals are getting their money so what do they care when they play.

In a perfect world, I would agree with you 100%.

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 5:23pm
Mind you, this is hypotheticle but How can you say"There is no band here who can match Dragonforce"? Have you seen every band in every basement and garage in the state?

The bands will know when they themselves are playing.

toggletoggle post by usernamehere at Jun 21,2006 5:24pm
they do this for warped tour and it works they have a huge blow up schedual and post the bands at random (main stage bands always have mainstage,) but the big band could go on a 8am or 8pm its random and its fun

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 5:26pm
You see, recently, I did a search for metal bands in Maine using MySpace and to my surprise have 20 in my town alone. And a quarter of them were actually very good. Here were at least 5 bands no knows exist. Bands that are probably clueless to things like getting shows or how to promote themselves. And I bet this goes on everywheres.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 5:27pm edited Jun 21,2006 5:31pm
Mind you, this is hypotheticle but How can you say"There is no band here who can match Dragonforce"? Have you seen every band in every basement and garage in the state?

The bands will know when they themselves are playing.

You find me a local power metal band that can match Dragonforce, who just signed to a HUGE label and tour worldwide. I'll give you $100. It's not even a matter of me loving Dragonforce, b/c I don't. But many, many, many people do.

We barely have any power metal bands around here at all to begin with! I've heard just about every one who wants to be heard, trust me.

toggletoggle post by Kinslayer at Jun 21,2006 5:31pm
I voted for EHG because I've only seen them live once and they fucking KILLED.

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 5:32pm
I guess you missed the word "hypotheticle". And I don;t see what the "who just signed to a HUGE label and tour worldwide" has to do with anything.

As for power metal, there are actualy many bands here in Maine that have some serious powermetal influences. If I took a half hour, I bet I could find one that's pretty damn close to something like Iced Earth.

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 5:35pm
Either way. Start voting people!

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 5:37pm edited Jun 21,2006 5:39pm
It has to do with the fact that you are going to pay a band $6-10,000 dollars and then possiby have them open for a GARAGE band who hasn't even released a record!?!?

This is the most ludicrous idea I have ever heard. I hope you can pull it off, because I think it would be hilarious.

Iced Earth sucks (just my opinion), so comparing them to Dragonforce is like throwing a soup cracker into a sandblaster.

I wish you luck, man, don't get me wrong. Maine isn't so far from me so I'd love to see a good fest there. Just think it through.

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jun 21,2006 5:42pm
only maine bands for locals? weak. give another state a chance. i can think of 2 or 3 maine bands worth a damn.

kind of lost my interest there. sorry.

toggletoggle post by kevord  at Jun 21,2006 5:52pm
This whole thread is fun on a hypothetical level. But the idea would never work. Slayer and Megadeth aren't gonna open up for Broken Mindz. Even if they didn't care their record labels would never let them. Music is a buisness kid.

toggletoggle post by Murph  at Jun 21,2006 5:52pm
yeah, just Maine locals kinda sucks, but there are some great ones such as our good buds LAST CHANCE TO REASON, JULES VERNE, NIRA MAY, ABSENCE OF THE SUN...but also some amazing bands from NH, MA, CT...RI

toggletoggle post by mcmahon  at Jun 21,2006 5:52pm
Congrats to you for organizing a big show like this AMP. First time I have heard or seen of this. If I had the money i'd fuckin do it with the nh locals.

I've always wondered how people like eye9d or new england concerts get things going. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.

toggletoggle post by My_Dying_Bride at Jun 21,2006 5:58pm
if you could get MY Dying Bride id kill myself (after the show of course)

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 6:00pm
kevord said:
This whole thread is fun on a hypothetical level. But the idea would never work. Slayer and Megadeth aren't gonna open up for Broken Mindz. Even if they didn't care their record labels would never let them. Music is a buisness kid.

This is exactly what I meant.

toggletoggle post by My_Dying_Bride at Jun 21,2006 6:01pm
My_Dying_Bride said:
if you could get MY Dying Bride id kill myself (after the show of course)

MDB Booking contact

Nick Peel - Miracle Artists
1 York Street
London W1U 6PA, UK

tel: +44 (0)20 7935 9222
fax: +44 (0)20 7935 6222
nick@nickpeel.com

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 6:01pm
kevord said:

Megadeth would be a headliner. probably Slayer too.

Bands like Crowbar, November's Doom, Cannibal Corpse would be floaters.

toggletoggle post by mcmahon  at Jun 21,2006 6:02pm
blue said:
only maine bands for locals? weak.

Interesting how the first thread started out as Metalfest in NH, and then it ends up being in ME with ME bands opening.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 6:03pm
Cannibal Corpse is NOT a floater. They are one of the two highest paid death metal bands in the world, and have sold over a million records. You are mad to think so.

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 6:04pm
P.S. FUCK THE RECORD LABELS

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jun 21,2006 6:04pm
Cannibal Corpse is NOT a floater. They are one of the two highest paid death metal bands in the world, and have sold over a million records. You are mad to think so.

toggletoggle post by Cecchini @ work and not nli... punks at Jun 21,2006 6:04pm
you should not limit the locals to maine bands.

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 6:05pm
mcmahon said:
blue said:

Interesting how the first thread started out as Metalfest in NH, and then it ends up being in ME with ME bands opening.

Because I lied the first time.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 6:06pm

I love your ideals, man, but there is this little thing outside called the Real World.

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 6:08pm
Cecchini @ work and not nli... punks said:

It's to push the Maine metal scene, hence the Maine bands. Mass has their scene, everyone knows it. NH is getting theirs.

toggletoggle post by AUTOPSY_666   at Jun 21,2006 6:10pm
EMBALMER!!!

toggletoggle post by AUTOPSY_666   at Jun 21,2006 6:11pm
You should get bands like CRUCIFIER, GRAND BELIAL'S KEY, IBEX MOON, SUMMON, SADISTIC INTENT, DEMONCY, THE CHASM, etc.

Bands that don't tour the country in every city all the time.

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 6:11pm

I love your ideals, man, but there is this little thing outside called the Real World.

Sorry, I dare to think outside the box and break some unwritten laws of the music biz.

toggletoggle post by mcmahon  at Jun 21,2006 6:11pm
It's to push the Maine metal scene, hence the Maine bands. Mass has their scene, everyone knows it. NH is getting theirs.

Seems to me if the bands were halfway decent they would already have a scene built up. Putting on a show with a headliner is only going to draw from the surrounding area no matter where you are.

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 6:12pm
AUTOPSY_666 said:
You should get bands like CRUCIFIER, GRAND BELIAL'S KEY, IBEX MOON, SUMMON, SADISTIC INTENT, DEMONCY, THE CHASM, etc.

Bands that don't tour the country in every city all the time.

Isn't that a C+P from the other thread.

toggletoggle post by AUTOPSY_666   at Jun 21,2006 6:12pm
Yes indeed.

toggletoggle post by AUTOPSY_666   at Jun 21,2006 6:13pm
Get NUNSLAUGHTER and DECREPIT too.

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 6:13pm
mcmahon said:

Seems to me if the bands were halfway decent they would already have a scene built up. Putting on a show with a headliner is only going to draw from the surrounding area no matter where you are.

But there are a lot of decent bands who have no scene because they have yet to get a break. Which this could be.

toggletoggle post by anonymous at Jun 21,2006 6:14pm
Immortal

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 6:16pm
damn, too late man. Good choice though.

toggletoggle post by mcmahon  at Jun 21,2006 6:18pm
But there are a lot of decent bands who have no scene because they have yet to get a break. Which this could be.

I don't disagree they will get exposure at a national show, but if you want to build up the scene it's all about consistancy and putting on good shows frequently not just one big show. If they were decent, I would think they would already have followings which would get them enough attention to 'break.' Just cause you play with a national doesnt mean they are going to tell their friends about it and will be bombarded with record deals.

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 6:26pm
I'm more focused on them getting up in front of a crowd they would not get otherwise, not getting them a record deal.

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 6:28pm
Either way, I think we're realy getting off the point. Fail or succed, let me do what I think is best and if it doesn't work, then at least I can say I tried.

Lets focus back on who should play.

toggletoggle post by dontthinkso at Jun 21,2006 6:28pm
mcmahon said:
blue said:

Because I lied the first time.

Why did you lie?
I think you started things off on the wrong foot by lying. Where's your credibility? If you follow through on this, it will turn out like the numerous fests where ticketpayers get screwed (sin promotions, hellfest)

toggletoggle post by dyingmuse   at Jun 21,2006 6:31pm
Arcturus, my dying bride, november's doom and aborym

toggletoggle post by mcmahon  at Jun 21,2006 6:33pm

why don't you ask the openers you want to help choose. Seems to me they would know who they fit in with the best. I don't know of anyone over there except Vertigod. Porphyria, Godless Rising, Life at Zero, Hand Choke Neck are my picks at the moment.

and yah, lying on here will get you eaten alive.

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 6:55pm
dontthinkso said:
did you lie?

For the very reason I didn't want to deal with the whole "There's no good metal bands in Maine" shit. Unfortunatly there is no discussion board for maine metal bands so I figured I would give this space a shot.

toggletoggle post by A Metalfest Promoter at Jun 21,2006 7:02pm
mcmahon said:

why don't you ask the openers you want to help choose. Seems to me they would know who they fit in with the best.

Good idea.

toggletoggle post by My_Dying_Bride at Jun 21,2006 7:15pm
mcmahon said:

Hand Choke Neck

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jun 21,2006 7:27pm
Cecchini @ work and not nli... punks said:

and limit your audience to only people who live in maine? if you say so.

toggletoggle post by Kevord not logged in at Jun 21,2006 7:37pm
It seems to me anyone with any knowledge of Metal would already have an idea of who would make good headliners. Lets be honest this will never work unless you already understand the metal scene. The reason the New England Metal and Hardcore fest succeeded was Scott Lee understood what bands he should book as headliners because he was also a fan.

toggletoggle post by sinistas   at Jun 21,2006 8:00pm

For the very reason I didn't want to deal with the whole "There's no good metal bands in Maine" shit. Unfortunatly there is no discussion board for maine metal bands so I figured I would give this space a shot.

There are a few bands that receive good responses on this site such as Conifer, Ocean, etc. As you've noted that Maine has no "scene", how are bands supposed to sell tickets to a fest like this when they're probably going to be feeding off of the same pool of people? Looks like a sunken cost for the locals to me. That's why SOME bands (even just a few) from NH and MA should be included, to get those ME bands noticed for people in other areas. Show swapping = good.

toggletoggle post by TheGreatSpaldino   at Jun 21,2006 8:17pm
My Dying Bride FTW. lets get some fucking bands that NEVER play over here. there are a ton of fest across the country that have 80% of these bands on them... do something a LITTLE different for a fucking change. if you get My Dying Bride... guaranteed, people from accross the country will come to see them because THEY HAVE NEVER REALLY PLAYED THE USA.

toggletoggle post by MikePile at Jun 21,2006 8:25pm
GWAR is the only band on that list that I would pay to see.

toggletoggle post by contagion   at Jun 21,2006 8:39pm
why is shitty eyehategod winning this.

toggletoggle post by AUTOPSY_666   at Jun 21,2006 8:43pm
1, 26 and 29 are spelled wrong, I think I should point that out.

toggletoggle post by Cadaveryne at Jun 21,2006 9:19pm
Spelling is metal

toggletoggle post by MikePile at Jun 21,2006 9:26pm
There's a band called Necrotic Disgorgement? I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE TERM MEANS, BUT THAT NAME IS FUCKING BRUTAL

toggletoggle post by SacreligionNLI at Jun 21,2006 9:32pm
you should book every single one of those bands for one show

that would draw phenomenally

toggletoggle post by Cadaveryne at Jun 21,2006 9:38pm
Is this a Kenny production?

toggletoggle post by SacreligionNLI at Jun 21,2006 9:44pm
i don't think he comes around these parts

toggletoggle post by nate   at Jun 21,2006 9:49pm
MikePile said:
There's a band called Necrotic Disgorgement? I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE TERM MEANS, BUT THAT NAME IS FUCKING BRUTAL

Minus Brian Baxter, they are all members of Regurgitation (RIP) from OH pretty much!

toggletoggle post by My_Dying_Bride at Jun 21,2006 10:04pm
TheGreatSpaldino said:
My Dying Bride FTW. lets get some fucking bands that NEVER play over here. there are a ton of fest across the country that have 80% of these bands on them... do something a LITTLE different for a fucking change. if you get My Dying Bride... guaranteed, people from accross the country will come to see them because THEY HAVE NEVER REALLY PLAYED THE USA.

yep yep and yes

toggletoggle post by handinjury at Jun 21,2006 10:18pm
MikePile said:

Do your self a favor and buy that cd, its fucking brutal.

toggletoggle post by AUTOPSY_666   at Jun 21,2006 10:22pm
The CD isn't available anymore, but a deluxe edition is coming soon, re-recorded, etc.

toggletoggle post by dwellingsickness at Jun 21,2006 10:26pm
The Necrotic Disgorgement disc was good, I still like Regurgitation better though

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 10:28pm

Sorry, I dare to think outside the box and break some unwritten laws of the music biz.

You're not going to break anything. And thinking outside the box is great, when you have a good idea.

Which you do not.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:typos add character
[default homepage] [print][1:44:07am Mar 29,2024
load time 0.05287 secs/13 queries]
[search][refresh page]