New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> System Of A Down to go on 'hiatus' by the_reverend on May 12,2006 4:13pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 12,2006 4:13pm
System Of A Down to go on 'hiatus'

'We've done System for over 10 years, and I think it's healthy for us to
get away from it for a while and come back to it later on. So, this is
probably going to be ... well, it's not a farewell tour, but it's going
to be a little while before we go out again.

-Daron Malakian, System Of A Down

Yes, the rumors are true! In a press release issued week, System Of A
Down said that this will be their last tour for some time. Make sure to
get your tickets to see them on Ozzfest before the band goes on hiatus.
You can read the entire story here: http://ozzfest.com/news_2006.html
Informational and Related Links
Bands:

System Of A Down

toggletoggle post by beelze at May 12,2006 4:42pm
it's just a money making scheme by Ozzfest

toggletoggle post by rotivore at May 12,2006 4:48pm
aweful band, great news!

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at May 12,2006 4:52pm
I hope it's a very long hiatus.

toggletoggle post by ConquerTheBaphomet  at May 12,2006 6:52pm
Whoopie frickin do

toggletoggle post by dwellingsickness at May 12,2006 7:04pm

toggletoggle post by TheGreatSpaldino   at May 12,2006 9:24pm
system of a down is a fun and enjoyable band. everyone that doesnt like them because they arent BR00TAL and KVLT is gay. they actually have some pretty heavy slamming type riffs and whatnot to boot.

toggletoggle post by Sans Values at May 12,2006 10:58pm
TheGreatSpaldino said:
system of a down is a fun and enjoyable band. everyone that doesnt like them because they arent BR00TAL and KVLT is gay. they actually have some pretty heavy slamming type riffs and whatnot to boot.

those who promote homophobia are secretly closeted. enough your nu-metal and enjoy stretching out your anus

toggletoggle post by Sans Values at May 12,2006 10:58pm
enjoy*

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at May 12,2006 11:10pm edited May 12,2006 11:22pm
TheGreatSpaldino said:

What if we don't like them because they suck? Can we still be gay?

toggletoggle post by TheGreatSpaldino   at May 13,2006 12:16am
do it up. but for a mainstreamOMGLOL band, they are good and fun to listen to.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at May 13,2006 8:27am
I'll stick to Wolfmother, I think it's the only band on the radio I can listen to these days.

toggletoggle post by Anthony nli at May 13,2006 10:15am
this is good news... that guy's singing style and the whole cheesy attitude of these guys never appealed to me.

toggletoggle post by dwellingsickness at May 14,2006 8:20am
C YA

toggletoggle post by retzam at May 14,2006 9:55am
OH MY GODDDD THE WORLD IZZZ LIKE SOOOOOO A BETER PLASE NOW THAT SyZTEm ov A DOWN isnt a BAndD anYMORE!!! LOOOOKLLLLLZZZZ, I HATE THEM SOOO MUCH! lOOOLLLZZZ, EVERY BAND THatTT I dON"T LIKE izzzZ TOTALY JUST A nUIzaAnCe TO SoCIETY!!! LLOOOollllLLLLZzzz

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at May 14,2006 10:26am edited May 14,2006 10:29am
That sucks.

Now each member is going to birth four lesser numetal bands, and they are going to be popular right of the bat even if they suck just because of their names.

toggletoggle post by ShadowSD at May 14,2006 11:00am
System of a Down is terribly shitty and overrated, and it's not because I give a fuck about words like brootal or kvlt, I listen to all different kinds of metal from Ratt to Lacuna Coil to Nevermore, but System just sucks. I hate how people try to give them credibility because of their relative standing to other crap.

Nu-metal is like the Special Olymics of metal, seriously. "Wow, that band actually has melody in one of their songs, and a vocal harmony too, wow they're geniuses!"

toggletoggle post by retzam at May 14,2006 5:03pm
If you listen to Lacuna Coil, yet don't find anything redeeming about System Of A Down, then... well... I just don't have anything to say.

toggletoggle post by Cecchini   at May 14,2006 6:36pm
TheGreatSpaldino said:

I think alot of people don't like them because they are whiney rich bitches who think that that what they do is so political and revolutionary and have always been and never will be nothing more than dumb cliche cheese dick song writers. I can't think of many people who dislike them because they arent ummm br00tal.... Most people don't like them because of the above reasons listed.

Long story short, they are whats wrong with music and I hope to god they all die alone and in a puddle of their own fecal matter.

toggletoggle post by mOe  at May 14,2006 6:48pm
i was into their older stuff back in High School but thats about it
this doesnt suprise me being that their guitarist wrote EVERYTHING (songs, lyrics) on their last album and played bass on it, too

toggletoggle post by ShadowSD at May 14,2006 6:50pm
I didn't say there was nothing redeeming. My point was that that "something redeeming" isn't exactly a high standard for bands, but it's the one that's used when talking about nu-metal.

So Angels Deserve to Die has a nice melody with an actual vocal harmony, do we give them an award for writing a competent part? Is nu-metal so atonal and devoid of basic composition skills that anything redeeming in the genre seems brilliant in comparison? System's whole image has been being the quirky and weird of post Korn nu-metal, Mudvayne without makeup but with the insanity, playing music of pointless chaos with glimpses of good prog or melodic ideas quickly washed away by crap, their goofy anger, and his annoying fucking voice that wavers like he's having a constant seizure.

Lacuna Coil, on the other hand, has put out some great music, and is actually real metal (as opposed to "nu"). What they have to do with a much less talented band from a different genre, I have no idea.

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at May 14,2006 6:50pm
mOe hates them because they are muslim.

toggletoggle post by CTborderpatrol at May 14,2006 6:58pm
they're armenian AKA christian cannon fodder for turks

toggletoggle post by retzam at May 14,2006 8:51pm
ShadowSD said:
I didn't say there was nothing redeeming. My point was that that "something redeeming" isn't exactly a high standard for bands, but it's the one that's used when talking about nu-metal.

So Angels Deserve to Die has a nice melody with an actual vocal harmony, do we give them an award for writing a competent part? Is nu-metal so atonal and devoid of basic composition skills that anything redeeming in the genre seems brilliant in comparison? System's whole image has been being the quirky and weird of post Korn nu-metal, Mudvayne without makeup but with the insanity, playing music of pointless chaos with glimpses of good prog or melodic ideas quickly washed away by crap, their goofy anger, and his annoying fucking voice that wavers like he's having a constant seizure.

Lacuna Coil, on the other hand, has put out some great music, and is actually real metal (as opposed to "nu"). What they have to do with a much less talented band from a different genre, I have no idea.

I feel like now is a good time to mention that I'm not a fan of either System Of A Down or Lacuna Coil. That said, I don't care whether or not either band is nu-metal; I don't determine what I listen to by its genre. THAT said, Lacuna Coil sounds like nu-metal anyway, and there is no way I believe they are in anyway more talented than System Of A Down.

toggletoggle post by retzam at May 14,2006 9:01pm edited May 14,2006 9:03pm
My initial post in this thread wasn't to shit on people who don't like System Of A Down. I could care less what anyone thinks of any band. I'm just beginning to tire of all this "HOORAY HOORAY!!" nonsense when any band someone likes breaks up. It's not like it's gonna change how much you hear them or anything. Well, actually, if anything, it will make you hear them more, because there is always hype when a popular band breaks up (hiatus, break up, whatever). I just don't see how a band someone doesn't like so negatively affects their life until they stop doing their thing. I remember when Blink 182 were together. I never liked them. I few years ago, they broke up. There were no changes to my life. I still hear them just as much as I did before, and I still couldn't care less. I don't understand how so much hate is generated towards a band that someone doesn't like. Like when the guy from Drowning Pool died, lots of people who don't like them were happy. Why? Was their music really that harmful to people's existance that the death of their frontman actually makes them happy? That's fucked up.

toggletoggle post by retzam at May 14,2006 9:02pm
I'm sorry to rant like a little bitch by the way.

toggletoggle post by CTborderpatrol at May 14,2006 9:47pm
the death of the frontman of drowning pool made me happy not because he was in drowning pool, but because he was wasting my air doing all that breathing and stuff

toggletoggle post by ShadowSD at May 15,2006 9:51am
I agree with everything you said, except one thing:

retzam said:
Lacuna Coil sounds like nu-metal anyway

Huh? You'll have to explain this one to me...

Nu-metal, a marketing trend that began with Korn, is a subgenre that was mostly constructed by record labels, rather than organically by actual bands or fans (unlike every other style of metal). It's very trendy, homogenized, unmelodic music where good composition and musicianship are meaningless (unlike every other style of metal).

Clearly, there would be no System of a Down without Korn. But Lacuna Coil's music shows ZERO influence from the whole nu-metal/metalcore shitfest in the US over the last decade, they've developed completely independently of that trend, and they would sound exactly the same had Korn never existed. They are gothic/atmospheric metal, which couldn't be further from the noise of nu-metal.

toggletoggle post by ShadowSD at May 15,2006 9:56am
If Lacuna Coil were to add touches of nu-metal to their music, you'd notice, because they wouldn't be Lacuna Coil; they'd be Evanescence.

toggletoggle post by mOe  at May 15,2006 10:42am
Lacuna Coil is a numetal band, dude....why are so many people in denial that Nu-Metal isn't dead and lives on in this new breed of "Gothic/New Wave of American Heavy-/ Metal bands...just because nu metal evolved doesnt mean it died

toggletoggle post by Man_of_the_Century at May 15,2006 11:13am edited May 15,2006 11:14am
mOe said:
Lacuna Coil is a numetal band, dude....why are so many people in denial that Nu-Metal isn't dead and lives on in this new breed of "Gothic/New Wave of American Heavy-/ Metal bands...just because nu metal evolved doesnt mean it died

It might just be me, but if something "evolves" doesn't that mean that it drasticly changes (usualy for better) and is no longer the original product? So if Lacuna Coil plays a style of music that evolved from Nu-Metal, that would mean that they don't play Nu-Metal at all, they play a style of music that was inspired by Nu-metal.

Its like punk and emo. They are not the same, but emo was inspired by punk.

toggletoggle post by Prof. Quack at May 15,2006 11:24am
When people start theorizing about Nu-metal.....I'm out.

toggletoggle post by ShadowSD at May 15,2006 12:22pm
Seriously... I still don't see how Lacuna Coil "evolved" from nu-metal because they are gothic metal, that's ridiculous. What about Type O Negative? Did they evolve from nu-metal, too? Oh wait... they came out years before it existed.

I think this is what's really going: the split that has existed between between metal and nu-metal, being a split between underground and mainstream, has over the years resulted in anything metal getting mainstream attention being labeled as nu-metal automatically. Lacuna Coil is on Ozzfest mainstage this year? Well, then they're nu-metal.

It's an awful trend to misuse the term, really, because it infers and reinforces that actual metal can never get widespread attention and airplay (a myth that nu-metal bands have have profited from at the expense of talented musicians for years). I don't think nu-metal is dead, and that's unfortunate, but if I occasionally see geniune metal bands getting attention (finally), I'm not going to call them nu-metal, because it would elevate the status of the nu-metal category to include credible bands in it.

Ultimately, there is a quality to nu-metal that binds it together and makes it something very different than all other types of metal; if you can recognize it, you can recognize it immediately and without difficulty. If you can't recognize the difference, then there's nothing I can do to help you.

toggletoggle post by weymouthdoug   at May 15,2006 2:12pm
haha, you guys care

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 15,2006 2:15pm
why the fuck are people still posting in this thread?

toggletoggle post by Man_of_the_Century at May 15,2006 2:16pm
Its the popular thing to do.

toggletoggle post by retzam at May 15,2006 7:24pm
I believe you if you really feel they aren't nu-metal, my reasoning being that you are a fan and have clearly heard most or all of their catalogue, and I've heard like, 3 and a half songs.

toggletoggle post by dwellingsickness at May 16,2006 6:08am
the_reverend said:
why the fuck are people still posting in this thread?

haha

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:twy again, dis time wid feewing
[default homepage] [print][5:16:55am Mar 29,2024
load time 0.01701 secs/16 queries]
[search][refresh page]