New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Self-Destructing DVD's by RustedAngel on Sep 9,2003 12:21pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Sep 9,2003 12:21pm
"Firm eyes competition with rental chains with $5 movie discs that become unreadable in 48 hours."

http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/09/technology/disney_dvd.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

wtf. way to add more garbage into society.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Sep 9,2003 12:34pm
yeah, I heard about this on the way to work this morning.
the quoted price is $7 per disk.

sucks. though I'm sure people will freeze them and stuff.
so they last longer...
plus with 2 days, you can easily rip them.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Sep 9,2003 12:35pm
funny that it's in the money section.

oh wait.. are you talking about the discs themselves being garbage or what's on them?

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Sep 9,2003 12:40pm
the discs themselves, when I first heard about it I thought to myself "wow, what a way to make more garbage to pollute the earth with." and it ended up meantioning that in the article.

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Sep 9,2003 12:43pm
http://slashdot.org/articles/03/09/09/1331228.shtml?tid=141&tid=188

did you hear about the RIAA suing a 12 year old girl? (also suing a grandfather who has grandchildren that downloaded music onto his computer?)

I hope the fact that the RIAA is suing a 12 year old makes them look so bad that the public hates them even more... The major labels are behind this too, but most percieve this entire thing all RIAA. I hope someone addresses that directly somewhere.

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Sep 9,2003 12:45pm
someone also brought up a good point about since they are suing 'randomly' eventually they will come across someone famous, probably george bush or arnold swarchnegger.

We'll see if they are really suing blindly. heheh.

toggletoggle post by succubus  at Sep 9,2003 1:07pm
i also heard on NPR that if you report yourself to them (RIAA)..they won't sue you..you just need to promise to delete whatever songs you downloaded illegally and promise not to do it again...

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Sep 9,2003 1:09pm
yeah, but if another non-RIAA gets ahold of the RIAA's list, then they could sue you since they are not part of the RIAA and aren't bound by it's contracts.

FACT:
when p2p was at it's highest, CD sales where at their highest
as p2p use drops, CD sales drop.

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Sep 9,2003 1:17pm edited Sep 9,2003 1:18pm
I think the only reason why they are doing this suing 'rampage' is to scare the public into buying cd's instead of just downloading them. I also think its working, my parents are kind of freaking out telling me to be careful.

I can imagine how many other households are having the same thing going on. I can just see the headline now

"Mother slays two children for downloading illegal music after warned not too"

haha

btw, who the fuck is going to send in their information saying they downloaded music and that they promise not to do it ever again? wtf kind of shit is that.

toggletoggle post by succubus  at Sep 9,2003 1:18pm
the_reverend said:
yeah, but if another non-RIAA gets ahold of the RIAA's list, then they could sue you since they are not part of the RIAA and aren't bound by it's contracts.

bastards!

they did NOT say that...

anyhow...i'm with you on the "fact" that you typed...i think it helps people hear music and decide on whether or not they want the CD...

What happened to the major labels OVERCHARGING for CD's? you guys remember that? they were getting sued...did anyone get their check in the mail?..i didn't...

http://www.returntothepit.com/view.php?formid=737#3982

toggletoggle post by succubus  at Sep 9,2003 1:18pm
RustedAngel said:

btw, who the fuck is going to send in their information saying they downloaded music and that they promise not to do it ever again? wtf kind of shit is that.

yeah i know..i think it's funny

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Sep 9,2003 1:24pm
I'm not so sure if I agree with the 'fact'... what is the source?

I'll be honest, I haven't bought more than 10 cd's in the past 4 years. I have about 500 full albums on my computer. You know and I know there are so many god damn people that do the same thing. Do you buy cd's aaron? I know you get most of your shit through your radio station so you don't really count.

so I have about $7,000 of music that I would never have had the money to actually buy.

though I did buy 2 cd's on sunday...
ones I already have downloaded, but decided to buy.

I suprised even myself

toggletoggle post by thegreatspaldino   at Sep 9,2003 2:13pm edited Sep 9,2003 2:16pm
ugh.. i hate talking about this shit... most of the music i listen to and buy isnt even part of the RIAA anyway so what the shit. but i seriously have bought almost 30 cds this year alone.. i download TONS of music but i go to their shows, buy their shirts, AND their cds... so what the fuck. as i have said a million times.. they are pissed off that their one hit wonders arent selling cds because people would rather download one song than shell out 18 bucks for it. and so what if they download an entire album and dont buy it? maybe the person didnt like it enough to buy it... therefore he/she wouldnt have bought it anyway. online filesharing has expanded my taste in music and i know it has done the same for millions... so why fuck with people about it. maybe if the RIAA was smart... they would start making music that mattered therefore increasing their cd sales

the new dimmu kicks ass but has a SHITTY cover... i cant believe thats all they could come up with... pathetic

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Sep 9,2003 2:21pm

here is a list of Labels who SUPPORT THE RIAA.

http://www.boycott-riaa.com/membership.php

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Sep 9,2003 2:29pm
brutal, victory, roadrunner...

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Sep 9,2003 2:42pm
I could have sworn that I saw Relapse on that list 3 weeks ago.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Sep 9,2003 2:46pm
release and that's part of relapse.

toggletoggle post by succubus  at Sep 9,2003 3:00pm
some of the labels i deal with are on there =(

but thank goodness:

Beggars Group & Matador Records

are not!!

i have a few shows i am covering (and covered) for them

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:watch out for plagues of locusts
[default homepage] [print][7:57:25pm Apr 19,2024
load time 0.02102 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]