New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> I'm not this huge Anime dork but... by wade on Jan 9,2006 12:26pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by wade at Jan 9,2006 12:26pm edited Jan 9,2006 11:26pm
finally bought the Vampire Hunter D DVD (1985). LOVE this fuckin flick.

It just seems so hit or miss with these movies. Outside of Demon City Shinjuku, Wicked City, Akira, etc...I have no clue what's decent? suggestions?

toggletoggle post by anonymous at Jan 9,2006 12:32pm
wicked city is interesting some anime sex in it with demons and the what not. AKIRA is stunning just fucking fantastic

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jan 9,2006 12:33pm
akira is the 2001 of anime

toggletoggle post by dftg up your butt at Jan 9,2006 12:42pm
The majority of anime is some gay-ass bullshit, but there are a few gems. check out princess mononoke.

one of my favorites is Fist of the North Star. It's like watching an animated Mortician song or something. the plot is pretty much inconsequential, it'sjust an excuse to show off all the hilarious, non-stop, ridiculous violence.

toggletoggle post by wade at Jan 9,2006 12:48pm
dftg up your butt said:
The majority of anime is some gay-ass bullshit, but there are a few gems. check out princess mononoke.

one of my favorites is Fist of the North Star. It's like watching an animated Mortician song or something. the plot is pretty much inconsequential, it'sjust an excuse to show off all the hilarious, non-stop, ridiculous violence.

yeah, for modern choices, I found Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away to be fuckin really well done. Metropolis was okay...but I really dig the more primitive look of Vampire Hunter D. Oh yeah, Ninja Scroll is pretty rad, too.

toggletoggle post by wade at Jan 9,2006 12:50pm
anonymous said:
wicked city is interesting some anime sex in it with demons and the what not. AKIRA is stunning just fucking fantastic

this one series I saw only once was fucking insane: Urotsukidoji

http://cgi.ebay.com/Urotsukidoji-1-4-Compl...ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

toggletoggle post by Midgetstealer at Jan 9,2006 1:11pm
Ninja scroll, in my opinion is as good or better than vampire hunter d...there is a crazy fucked up rape scene in it too.

toggletoggle post by dftg up your butt at Jan 9,2006 1:18pm
wade said:
anonymous said:

this one series I saw only once was fucking insane: Urotsukidoji

http://cgi.ebay.com/Urotsukidoji-1-4-Compl...ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

oh yeah, that series is beyond fucked up...

toggletoggle post by dftg up your butt at Jan 9,2006 1:19pm
There was a series called cowboy bebop that I liked enough to buy the complete collection on dvd.

toggletoggle post by chris_from_shit_fuck  at Jan 9,2006 1:29pm
dftg up your butt said:

Fist of the north star is fucking amazing. Also check out the anime Memories which is pretty good, as well as Akria, Naussica, Princess Mononoke, and there are some other ones I'm forgetting

toggletoggle post by wade nli at Jan 9,2006 7:03pm
chris_from_shit_fuck said:
dftg up your butt said:

Fist of the north star is fucking amazing. Also check out the anime Memories which is pretty good, as well as Akria, Naussica, Princess Mononoke, and there are some other ones I'm forgetting

yeah, with the 3 stories, I forgot about this one, which brings to mind that it seems even when these films fall somewhere between mediocre and decent, they fail to resonate after you've seen them for some reason. Like Naussica, I know I've seen but i can't even recall a character. Lazy Roundeye syndrome I guess.

toggletoggle post by wade nli at Jan 9,2006 7:04pm
hah, I just noticed the subtext on that boxcover..the 3 stories on this are pretty fucking cool & different.

toggletoggle post by moran   at Jan 9,2006 7:33pm
Vampire Hunter D is one of my favorites. The second one, Blood Lust, was pretty good too. Berserk is really good if you're into the V.H.D. style animation, awesome story too. The bad thing, though, is that the second half of the story was only done through manga.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jan 9,2006 11:01pm edited Jan 9,2006 11:02pm
I collect anime and have a ton of it, but I'm not as fond of the original Vampire Hunter D as the Bloodlust sequel. The dialogue was terrible in the original, especially in English. Ironically, the sequel was originally tracked in English! and later translated for Japanese release.

toggletoggle post by wade at Jan 9,2006 11:32pm
DrinkHardThrashHard said:
I collect anime and have a ton of it, but I'm not as fond of the original Vampire Hunter D as the Bloodlust sequel. The dialogue was terrible in the original, especially in English. Ironically, the sequel was originally tracked in English! and later translated for Japanese release.

yeah, I can't believe I haven't seen that sequel. worth buying I presume?

toggletoggle post by Moran NLI at Jan 9,2006 11:46pm
Yes, definately worth buying.

toggletoggle post by wade at Jan 9,2006 11:52pm
Moran NLI said:
Yes, definately worth buying.

thanks. hopefully I can score that used at N. Comics this week.

toggletoggle post by BestialOnslaught  at Jan 10,2006 1:03am
I know very little about this stuff as well... But 2 series I have enjoyed are the Doomed Megapolis miniseries and Berserk. I've seen some Berserk dubbed officially, some unofficial with subtitles, and the subtitled version was better, but I don't know where to come across that... Whilst the dubbed version is quite widely distributed.

toggletoggle post by tomx nli at Jan 10,2006 1:46am
im not too huge into anime, but i do love Cowboy Bebop. Samurai Champloo is pretty sick too. theres this site that sells import dvds for way cheap, alot better than Newbury Comics. www.kcdvd.com. i picked up battle angel there for 9 bucks and the cowboy bebop full series for 20.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jan 10,2006 6:15am
BestialOnslaught said:
I know very little about this stuff as well... But 2 series I have enjoyed are the Doomed Megapolis miniseries and Berserk. I've seen some Berserk dubbed officially, some unofficial with subtitles, and the subtitled version was better, but I don't know where to come across that... Whilst the dubbed version is quite widely distributed.

Berserk is pretty fun, the one flaw with it was that they skipped a huge portion of the manga that it was based on, which is why you had those rather sudden and semi-inexplicable ending episodes (you knew SOMETHING bizarre was going to happen, but when it does it's a bit random).

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jan 10,2006 6:16am
Don't forget there is a huge fansub community there, you can download 1000s of complete anime series to check them out before you spend hard cash on them (they can be expensive).

toggletoggle post by nick   at Jan 10,2006 6:22am
i think anime is lame but the vampire hunter d movies are awesome.
akira too, obviously.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jan 10,2006 10:38am
There are thousands of anime, many genres, many themes. I'm sure there are plenty you would enjoy, especially if you are a fan of Akira and Vampire Hunter D.

toggletoggle post by Moran NLI at Jan 10,2006 11:11am
nick said:
i think anime is lame but the vampire hunter d movies are awesome.
akira too, obviously.

I used to feel the same way until I watched those two. Theres lots of good stuff out there if you liked those. Blood, X, Ninja Scroll, Berserk, Samurai X are all good ones to start off with.

toggletoggle post by DrewBlood   at Jan 10,2006 11:45am
Check out 'Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade'.

Watch it on a rainy night and it will make you want to slit your wrists.

toggletoggle post by anonymous at Jan 10,2006 11:57am
ghost in the shell...all series and movies are amazing. if you dont watch those... you are certified gay.

i also follow Naruto. you people might not like it, but it has a lot of heart and is pretty deep most of the time. some of the fight scenes are boner-popping awesome.

cowboy bebop is awesome.

X the series is awesome.

Trinity blood is a bad ass new series about a this type of vampire that only feeds on Vampires. and he works for the vatican... on a huge ass holy spaceship. but yeah... its pretty bad ass.

i watch Initial D as well. nothing like watching people haul ass down the mountain pass roads in Japan.

Berserk is intense. century slayer. enough said.

Spriggan was fun

toggletoggle post by spaldino at Jan 10,2006 11:57am
that was me

toggletoggle post by wade at Jan 10,2006 12:03pm
I really dig the 3X3 Eyes series..thanks for the suggestions.

toggletoggle post by davefromthegrave  at Jan 10,2006 12:42pm
anonymous said:

I just wanted to say that I agree about Akira being a really awesome movie. the soundtrack for it is great as well.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jan 10,2006 1:40pm
I'm actually not that fond of the Akira film, again because it missed so much of what made the manga great and had severe plot problems. Visually and audio-wise it was great though.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:watch out for plagues of locusts
[default homepage] [print][6:06:10pm Mar 28,2024
load time 0.01497 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]